• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I finally got around to watching UFC 189.

It's probably one of the best events in a long fucking time. Every fight on the main card was FOTN material. I also appreciated the new presentation values. But the live music entrances for the main event were ... odd.

My respect for Robbie Lawler is through the fucking roof. Lots of guys crumble under Rory's pressure, but Robbie kept coming - even when Rory clobbered him. Seeing that gif of Rory trying to stand is fucking brutal. That fight is easily FOTY material.

And I'm willing to admit that Conor has proved himself. But the questions about Chad not being 100% due to his lack of a full camp will remain. Aldo/McGregor will be an immense fight (if it ever happens).

industrian

My only hope is that the UFC doesn't book Lawler/Hendricks 3 next. Nobody wants to see that shit.

Guru-Guru

Banned
My only hope is that the UFC doesn't book Lawler/Hendricks 3 next. Nobody wants to see that shit.
Considering how they initially almost booked it instead of Lawler vs MacDonald, we are definitely getting Lawler vs Hendricks III next. Ugh.

I'd rather see Condit fight Lawler, that would be a guaranteed exciting fight.

dream

I think after that performance, Robbie's earned an easy fight. Give him Stun Gun Kim or someone mid-tier like that.

dream

Heel and I are meeting up on slack.com for American Ninja Warrior tomorrow night, if any of you would like to join us.

Chesskid1

Banned
i don't get why robbie is so good.

i mean, with like the other champs you can just watch them and see their various techniques they do that sets them apart but you don't really see that robbie, he just punches people till they crumble.

i'm just curious what he does differently. wonder if anyone will come along that can nullify his striking.

i mean, with like the other champs you can just watch them and see their various techniques they do that sets them apart but you don't really see that robbie, he just punches people till they crumble.

i'm just curious what he does differently.

He punches really hard and more accurate. Then he gets rocked during the fight and that fills up his meter for him to use his super you-can't-knock-me-out powers.

Heel and I are meeting up on slack.com for American Ninja Warrior tomorrow night, if any of you would like to join us.

I have a "date" tomorrow with a woman flying in from Portland tomorrow. If the wi-fi doesn't suck in her hotel room I will chat.

Lazyslob

Banned

i'm just curious what he does differently. wonder if anyone will come along that can nullify his striking.

what do you mean you dont get why hes so good. dude is a fucking great striker. look what he did to manhoef and he has good wrestling. hes also a tough mother fucker

does anyone like thekaptin? can we vote him off like a dating show?

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas

Did you see the sprawls? The piston like jab? Nasty power shots? Plus he learned how to pace himself and not blow his load.

industrian

Considering how they initially almost booked it instead of Lawler vs MacDonald, we are definitely getting Lawler vs Hendricks III next. Ugh.

I'd rather see Condit fight Lawler, that would be a guaranteed exciting fight.

Lawler vs. Condit is a good one. That shit would be guaranteed fireworks. The co-main event could be Hendricks vs. Woodley for No. 1 contender.

Sometimes all you need to do is punch people until they crumble. It's the same with any sport - being stylish and having various techniques is cool and all, but Arsenal haven't won the league in over ten years for a reason.

Robbie's main strength is that he doesn't break mentally. He got frustrated in his two fights with Hendricks but kept fighting. And Rory is an expert at breaking fighter's willpower - he imposes himself and some of his opponents just break. Robbie went through everything, kept fighting, and that epic fucking blood spit just said everything you needed to know.

IKizzLE

Great striker with good combinations and mixes it up.

Great chin.

Lot's of fight experience.

Great TDD.

That's all it takes to be champion in any weight class.

Chesskid1

Banned
my question stemmed from the fact that all of the best ufc fighters have figured out how to deal with someone like robbie (stand up striking).

superior speed/footwork (dillashaw), amazing reach (jones, conor), unorthodox striking (conor, machida), killer techniques that they've honed (leg kicks/stiff jabs/etc), really smart gameplanning (rory, jackson guys, etc) or wrestling.

its just weird to me robbie having so much success and to someone like me he doesn't do anything extraordinary special. not trying to take anything away from robbie, its hard to see what hes doing that makes him stand out from the rest of the division.

my question stemmed from the fact that all of the best ufc fighters have figured out how to deal with someone like robbie.

superior speed/footwork (dillashaw), amazing reach (jones, conor), unorthodox striking (conor, machida), killer techniques that they've honed (leg kicks/stiff jabs/etc), really smart gameplanning (rory, jackson guys, etc) or wrestling.

its just weird to me robbie having so much success and to someone like me he doesn't do anything extraordinary special. not trying to take anything away from robbie, its hard to see what hes doing that makes him stand out from the rest of the division.

Robbie has a killer 1-2. Very accurate striking. Knows how to use his range. Nice head movement. Good TDD. Hits fucking hard.

that's all you really need in fighting.

Guru-Guru

Banned
my question stemmed from the fact that all of the best ufc fighters have figured out how to deal with someone like robbie (stand up striking).

Have you read any of Jack Slack's pieces on Robbie Lawler? He does analysis on just about every event. He has great fight knowledge and goes into the technical side of things. Here's some of his work that covers Lawler:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-the-evolution-of-robbie-lawler
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/robbie-lawler-versus-matt-brown-turning-back-the-swarm
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-ufc-181-post-fight-recap

scabro

You're pulling the piss right? He was unimpressive on TUF, don't think I've seen him fight since.

UFC1.gif

industrian

I remember that KO, but not the name.

Yeah, if the stars align and he doesn't fuck around then Samman might accomplish great things.

FUME5

Well, shit, he looks a LOT better than the last time I saw him.

Just looked up his record, done far better than I thought.

Lazyslob

Banned
samman is dope. other dude is a punk and should have got slapped for thinking hes tight for spitting at him. hes ugly as fuck so thats his punishment already

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Waterson? I think she's super cute and I'm generally not attracted to Asian chicks.

Edit: Herrig is the hottest, tho. That's why she's my avatar.

this made me spit out my coffee!

good fight for wonderboy. amazing kicks that he landed over and over again.

MjFrancis

I finally got around to watching UFC 189.

It's probably one of the best events in a long fucking time. Every fight on the main card was FOTN material. I also appreciated the new presentation values. But the live music entrances for the main event were ... odd.

My respect for Robbie Lawler is through the fucking roof. Lots of guys crumble under Rory's pressure, but Robbie kept coming - even when Rory clobbered him. Seeing that gif of Rory trying to stand is fucking brutal. That fight is easily FOTY material.

And I'm willing to admit that Conor has proved himself. But the questions about Chad not being 100% due to his lack of a full camp will remain. Aldo/McGregor will be an immense fight (if it ever happens).
Complete agreement here. I haven't bought a card at home in 18 months and this one exceeded all expectations.

I was texting a buddy who couldn't make it but he wanted updates so after every fight I had to add something to the effect of "It will be hard to top this one." The McGregor fight was at the bottom tier of the main card, but that is deceiving since it was still a spectacular matchup. The company plan has worked, this cat is PPV worthy.

Again, it's intriguing that the UFC is riding the coattails of a featherweight division & a women's bantamweight division that didn't even exist five years ago when I started watching. The Ultimate would be in dire straights without those additions.

And completely agreed on Rory v. Robbie being FOTY material. Rory earned a lot of respect from me last weekend.

The Tale of Aldo's Drug Test

ESPN said:
"June 10
10:00 am - The drug tester arrives in Brazil by plane
01:29 pm - The drug tester attempts to contact Aldo's team to collect the sample
01:51 pm - Aldo's head coach, Andre Pederneiras, returned drug testers call, say he will attempt to locate Aldo
04:00 pm - Efforts by Aldo's coach were unsuccessful, drug tester and Pederneiras arranged for the test to be done the following day at 10:30 a.m. at Aldo's training facility.
June 11
10:30 am - Aldo arrives at his training center and meets drug tester. The process to get a urine sample starts
11:15 am - After 45 minutes of trying, Aldo has finished the urine sample. Before the drug tester can process the sample one of Aldo's trainers stops the process as the head coach was not there to witness it.
11:30 am - Pederneiras arrives at the training center, an hour after he told the drug tester to arrive, and says "I should have been here for the test" even though he is an hour late. He calls CABMMA to see if they are aware of the test.
11:31 am - As the drug tester attempts to argue his right to take the collected sample an off duty police officer who happens to be listening approaches the drug tester and asks for his passport. The off duty police officer immediately confiscates the drug testers passport. He then tells the drug tester his Visa is invalid.
11:45 am - CABMMA representative Christiano Sampaio arrived at the training facility and halts the test, claiming the test was not being conducted in accordance to Brazilian MMA procedures
12:00 pm - "Drug Free Sport", the agency the drug tester works for contacts a brazilian doping control officer to perform the test.
01:00 pm - The brazilian doping officer arrives but CABMMA representative Christiano Sampaio refuses him to test, stating that only a CABMMA collection officer would be allowed to collect the sample. At the same time Aldo's urine sample is destroyed as Aldo and the drug tester had lost contact with it.
06:00 pm - A second test was scheduled with Aldo to take place at the gym on June 12, conducted by a CABMMA doping officer and monitored by the American drug tester. The test was scheduled to take place between 8:30-9 a.m.
06:30 pm - Brazilian immigration officials arrived at the gym to review drug testers paperwork. Drug tester was fined and given eight days to leave the country, but he was approved to monitor the collection process of Aldo's sample the following day.
June 12
08:30 am - Drug tester arrives at Aldo's training center to find Aldo is not present.
11:40 am - Aldo finally arrives at training center 3 hours and 10 minutes late, he says he missed his drug test because he was trying to get a Visa.
11:49 am - Aldo finishes a urine sample, but while passing it to the CABMMA official he spills it and destroys the sample
12:29 pm - After an hour Aldo can provide another urine sample, this one he safely passes to the CABMMA official. It has now been 47 hours since a request for Aldo to give a urine sample was made.
12:30 pm - After CABMMA official hands sample to the American drug tester he poses for photo with Aldo and gets his autograph.
01:40 pm - Urine sample is shipped to the lab.
June 23
11:00 am - 10 days after the drug test whilst sparring Aldo suffers a rib injury, awaits further tests to determine if he can fight.
June 29 - One day prior to new drug testing scheme coming online Aldo pulls out from July 11 fight with McGregor. According to his doctor Aldo asks for and is granted a therapeutic use exemption from Nevada for corticosteroids and other usually banned substances to heal his rib.
July 1 - UFC's new USADA partnered drug testing scheme begins operation. Until Aldo's TUE's have expired he will receive no testing.
July 7 - Aldo's urine test he finally completed on June 12 comes back clean."

Top Bottom