• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT6| All Our Heroes Are P.E.D.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
22QATSu.jpg

Literally the definition of an arm punch. Dudes need some K1 dvds in their lives like The Colossus.

Guru-Guru

Banned
I wonder how hard the UFC will try to get Fedor, assuming he doesn't just sign with M-1 Global and fight cans in Russia (decent shot of that happening). The UFC's current strategy seems to be to sign anybody who is famous/has decent buzz in an attempt to suffocate the competition, primarily Bellator. For example, they resigned Rampage, even though he is way past his prime. Also signed CM Punk solely because of his mainstream popularity and them not wanting Bellator to get him instead. I think letting Fedor sign with Bellator is something they don't want to happen, even if Dana has constantly shit on Fedor for years.

Fedor vs Mir, Couture, Cro Cop, or Arlovski would be amazing.

I wonder how hard the UFC will try to get Fedor, assuming he doesn't just sign with M-1 Global and fight cans in Russia (decent shot of that happening). The UFC's current strategy seems to be to sign anybody who is famous/has decent buzz in an attempt to suffocate the competition, primarily Bellator. For example, they resigned Rampage, even though he is way past his prime. Also signed CM Punk solely because of his mainstream popularity and them not wanting Bellator to get him instead. I think letting Fedor sign with Bellator is something they don't want to happen, even if Dana has constantly shit on Fedor for years.

Fedor vs Mir, Couture, Cro Cop, or Arlovski would be amazing.

Fedor and his people would basically have to give in to anything the UFC asks for. It's been years since he's been a name with drawing power to the average fighting fan. They don't need him at this point.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Fedor and his people would basically have to give in to anything the UFC asks for. It's been years since he's been a name with drawing power to the average fighting fan. They don't need him at this point.
Yeah, that's true...

I don't think the UFC will ever have an event in Russia either (which Fedor would be great for), even though they have been in talks/planning it for ages. M-1 Global comps most of their tickets to business execs, politicians/bureaucrats, etc. I'm pretty sure those connections will help M-1 Global block, or severely hinder, any attempt by the UFC to have an event in Russia. Dana's already talked about how difficult it is to do business in Russia.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Randy's already trying to get his name out there

To be perfectly honest, it's the best match to make.

1) It's a great legacy fight.
2) If Fedor wants a real comeback and not just 1-2 marquee fights, he'll need a good tune up fight. Going against another old dude who's been inactive for a while is the best thing for him.

Book it, Coker!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
"Somebody asked Floyd - 'what do you think would happen if you and Ronda Rousey fought.' And he said 'Ronda Rousey? I don't know who he is.' And then someone explained who I am and he was like 'I ain't know who that is.' It was a real subtle and snarky jab at me. I was actually nominated for 'Best Fighter of The Year' that year with him. So I know he knew who I was. He actually has MMA fighters signed to him so I know he knows who I am," Rousey said to America's Pre-Game.

"I was just sitting there on the couch one day, post surgery, my leg just got operated on, and I was like 'okay, I'm patient. I'm going to get you at the right time. And you're going to say 'maybe I shouldn't have said that about that chick.' I waited a whole year. And if I didn't win best fighter, I would have waited another year. I would have waited two years. I would have waited for the right time to remind him that he shouldn't mess with me. I would be interested to hear him pretend that he doesn't know who I am now."

She really this salty Floyd doesn't know her name?
sabu.png

VoxPop

UFC 189 early numbers are in

I'm paraphrasing (since Meltzer tends to sidetrack a lot), but this is what was said on last night's Wrestling Observer episode:
Bryan Alvarez: What do we know about the buyrate for UFC 189?
Dave Meltzer: It was really freakin’ big. I’ve been asked that question so much the last couple days. I was actually asked that Sunday, and it’s like “C’mon! How the hell is anyone gonna know on Sunday the buyrate for a Saturday night PPV?” I don’t know a number, I don’t know if it’s 700,000 or if it’s 1.1 million, but early indications are that it’s way bigger than the last two PPVs—multiple times over the last two—so it was pretty freakin’ huge all things considered.
Bryan Alvarez: But it’s not looking like 1.7 million?
Dave Meltzer: Oh, God no! It was never gonna break UFC 100, I didn’t buy that for a second. But the idea that Chad Mendes in a main event for the interim featherweight title is gonna do 700,000, 1 million, 1.1 million, somewhere in that range? That’s ridiculous. Conor McGregor’s the man, that’s all I gotta say. He may lose his next fight, but nobody, nobody, nobody—not Ronda Rousey, not anyone—has come along in years that’s talked people into seats like this guy. You wanna study somebody? This is the guy to study as far as promoting a fight. He’s unbelievable. He worked his ass off and probably to his own detriment.
—
To put the PPV Buyrates into perspective:
UFC 189 - Chad vs Conor (700,000 - 1.1 million)
UFC 188 - Cain vs Werdum (?)
UFC 187 - DC vs Rumble (375,000)
UFC 186 - Mighty Mouse vs Horiguchi (125,000)
UFC 185 - Pettis vs RDA (310,000)
UFC 184 - Rousey vs Zingano (590,000)
UFC 183 - Silva vs Diaz (650,000)
UFC 182 - Jones vs DC (800,000)

Also they are saying it is VERY LIKELY that McGregor vs Aldo will be at Cowboys Stadium. That's insane. Going to have to be a monster stacked card. Most likely for their NYE show?

Unkle

Man, if McGregor gets past Aldo (a big if) and sets up a fight against perhaps Frankie at Croke Park sometime next summer, I'm totally dropping everything I have in Canada and travelling back. Think Irish fans are loud at the weigh-ins and the MGM? Try potentially over 82,000 at Croker around July. It will be borderline insanity.

industrian

Also they are saying it is VERY LIKELY that McGregor vs Aldo will be at Cowboys Stadium. That's insane. Going to have to be a monster stacked card. Most likely for their NYE show?

I got your main card right here:

Aldo vs. McGregor
Rousey vs. <next victim>
Werdum vs. Arlovski
Weidman vs. Rockhold
Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone

You'll pretty much have to do that to sell out Cowboys Stadium.

Man, if McGregor gets past Aldo (a big if) and sets up a fight against perhaps Frankie at Croke Park sometime next summer, I'm totally dropping everything I have in Canada and travelling back. Think Irish fans are loud at the weigh-ins and the MGM? Try potentially over 82,000 at Croker around July. It will be borderline insanity.

That's a pretty fucking big riot waiting to happen after Frankie 49-44's McGregor.

Sean

Banned

Aldo vs. McGregor
Rousey vs. <next victim>
Werdum vs. Arlovski
Weidman vs. Rockhold
Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone

5 title fights is overkill imo, would leave nothing for the other PPV's.

Aldo vs. McGregor
Rousey vs. Tate 3
CM Punk debut
Pettis vs. Khabib
Velasquez vs. Miocic

Aldo vs. McGregor
Rousey vs. <next victim>
Werdum vs. Arlovski
Weidman vs. Rockhold
Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone

That's a pretty fucking big riot waiting to happen after Frankie 49-44's McGregor.

5 championship fights!? That will probably sell out any arena in the world.

I've seen fast food security cam fights with more competent punching.

Book it. Fat Mir vs. Fat Fedor.

And did Zuffa sever Mir's WEC announcing gig after his ugh interesting Brawk comments?
Yeah he said something like he hopes Lesnar is the first person to die in the ring. So logically they let a man who wants to fight and potentially kill a man fight that particular person but they don't let him talk anymore. Is normal.

Wait, how did the weekly FEDOR IS COMING! stuff get started this week?
Because he slimmed down?
I think his old manager said he's coming back. Maybe needs money to bribe people to get his brother out of jail.

She really this salty Floyd doesn't know her name?
sabu.png
'I ain't know who that is'? English is his first language, right?

Aldo vs. McGregor
Rousey vs. <next victim>
Werdum vs. Arlovski
Weidman vs. Rockhold
Dos Anjos vs. Cerrone
#wouldwatch

Heel

MAIN CARD | Spike TV, 9 p.m. ET
Douglas Lima vs. Andrey Koreshkov for welterweight title
Paul Bradley vs. Chris Honeycutt
Rudy Bears vs. Michael Page
Roger Carroll vs. Brennan Ward
Paul Daley vs. Dennis Olson

PRELIMINARY CARD | MMAjunkie, 7 p.m. ET
Josh Neer vs. Matt Secor

skip1.png

I'm really starting the question the quality of fighters Bellator is bringing in to put over their potential stars. This Leprechaun dude looks like they found him hanging out in front of an MMA gym asking for change.

Uriah said on MMA Hour that the Alpha Males have beef with McGregor and that Connor got under Dillashaws skin.

The UFC would have to do a stacked card to sell out Dallas. Or make the tickets cheap. Isn't the WWE going to Dallasnext year? I can't see either selling out that stadium unless there's a compelling card or huge fight.

And 2 million buys? Connor hasn't reached Floyd Mayweather attention/draw yet. And the way UFC markets their cards, it's more based on the UFC brand name versus markee fights. They do a piss poor job marketing their stars.

dream

You know what, this show gave us the term "journeyman jiu jitsu black belt," and I think we should be grateful for finally having a polite name to call people like Demian Maia.

industrian

Doesn't Roy Nelson go into fights without washing his beard or showering or whatever for the same reasoning?

Top Bottom