• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

Hypereides

Gold Member
vellex said:
Here's my two best tracks:

http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/Arthox/creations/341136

Recreation of Luigi Circuit from double dash as close as I could make it, all the others out there aren't very good at all. Replaced the mario kart chain chomp with a giant sheep that jumps up and down on a barrel launcher.

http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/Arthox/creations/118797

Pretty fun track that's on the fifth page of most downloaded tracks at the moment. It's raking me in quite a bit of experience so it must be doing something right.

Hey checked your creations page. Nice Tron mods :D

Is there a limit to how many tracks and mods you can create?

jmd494

This is the modnation website pic of my mod. Don't feel like uploading it from my PS3.

preview_image.png

Guv_Bubbs

Banned
ChronicleX said:
Big Deal. I got Papu's Pryamid / Oxcide Station in the works :lol They do not look the same though due to theme reasons but the track/shortcuts remain intact.

I'll edit this post with a screenie's in a moment.

Edit - alright Screenie time!

modnationracers.jpg

modnationracers1.jpg

modnationracers2.jpg

Remember it is a work in Progress, but the basic's of the track are down. No Pic's of Oxcide yet sorry, still messing around with that one.

I'm loving all of this!

CzarTim

Tried a few of the GAF maps:

BlackSkull - Amazing map, dude. Deserves to be on the XP rotation. The only real problem I had was that in a 12 player race, the players who start last are at an angle.

Crab Bay - At first I rolled my eyes 'cause I don't like drifting courses, but by the end of lap three I was hooting and hollering. Good stuff.

Sandwyrm - I found the last part of the track, once you leave the tunnels, to be fun. But the rest was a little constricting. Maybe add some signs for turns?

Guv_Bubbs said:
I'm loving all of this!

I am surprised you quoted the old pics and not the new set I posted 2 pages ago :lol

http://yfrog.com/j5modnationracers9j
http://yfrog.com/5pmodnationracers8j
http://yfrog.com/9emodnationracers7j
http://yfrog.com/15modnationracers6vj
http://yfrog.com/04modnationracers5j
http://yfrog.com/2cmodnationracers4j

and thanks for the feedback czartim. My current lap record is around 50 seconds, good luck beating it :D As for the players in 12 player starting at an angle I will fix that next revision.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
czartim said:

BlackSkull - Amazing map, dude. Deserves to be on the XP rotation. The only real problem I had was that in a 12 player race, the players who start last are at an angle.

Crab Bay - At first I rolled my eyes 'cause I don't like drifting courses, but by the end of lap three I was hooting and hollering. Good stuff.

Sandwyrm - I found the last part of the track, once you leave the tunnels, to be fun. But the rest was a little constricting. Maybe add some signs for turns?

I will add that manually. I did "Auto Populate" and then heavily edited it, I actually never thought of signs for turns because I figured the game would have added them since when I did my first map (no hills, no jumps, not saved either, before using the tutorials actually :lol ) it auto populated them.

I will add signs and fix the one boost pad there was a complaint about right now. In about 20 minutes the revision will be online for anyone else who wants to try it.

Thanks for the feedback, its definitely going to help in all my future courses (I won't be using auto populate on any of the further ones, this one is just a "get feedback" course for me)

vellex

Neo Member
~ Zyzomys ~ said:
I think he is talking about his second track - Crab Bay. I downloaded it yesterday - there is fire in the photo! How can you go wrong?

We need to start listing tracks that we have tried that are impressive. There is so much stuff out there, and as noted above, certain tracks get lots of downloads for no real reason. It would be nice to see a list of NeoGAF recommended tracks.

Haha, exactly. To be honest, I think the reason its up so high is the initial drought of tracks when the game came out. There's some real shite at the top downloads that are snowballing because people don't tend to look past the first few pages. I was just lucky because I got that track out pretty fast.

czartim said:

Sandwyrm - I found the last part of the track, once you leave the tunnels, to be fun. But the rest was a little constricting. Maybe add some signs for turns

Haha thanks buddy.

I'm thinking of starting a mini-project which will mix Modnation Racers and my fav. racing game of all time: Roll n' Roll Racing. Already made a few test tracks of the first planet, Chem VI. Can't wait to unlock more items so I can full-fledge this! :D

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I know it's a long shot, but did anyone who didn't actually get a Sackboy mod code have a Cowboy mystery mod code they'd be willing to trade? PM me :lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
The revisions are all up, I'm looking for some GAF tracks (note: I won't download anything based on another license/etc. so if I don't download yours thats why, I want original things, the general masses will all just get other things so I'm grabbing a bunch of the original GAF tracks instead!) to play in the meantime. Hopefully we can all enjoy eachother's work! :D

To everyone who wants to try it now that I have fixed the buggered boost pad (I added it before I made the tunnel slightly more narrow) and aside from 2 painfully obvious turns there is a lot of signage up now.

Have fun guys, can't wait to share my next one with you! :D

So I finally started to play this after Split/Second... not a good idea actually. The handling in this is so loose compared to that so I'm all over the shop. I'll have to accustomise myself with the handling.

Made my Kratos kart and driver again from the beta and played a few races. Loading sucks as oh so noted and hopefully an improvement will be on it's way very soon. So far it's not bad and will have to play so more.

czartim said:
Is there a way to control where racers respawn if they go off course? Pushing them forward is dumb.

I know, I have found no way around it. The game will put racers back on breadcrumb paths if it can though, but if that turns out to be midair or something then it puts them right at the end... really annoying since you cannot do any "high risk, high reward" style shortcuts since missing it is sometimes better! =(

Katana_Strikes said:
So I finally started to play this after Split/Second... not a good idea actually. The handling in this is so loose compared to that so I'm all over the shop. I'll have to accustomise myself with the handling.

lol I have and still have the same problem, the drifting between games is on like the end of each side of the spectrum. In this drifting enables you to go faster, I guess, but it doesnt seem as floaty as the drifting Ive felt in other kart type racers, it seems a bit unnatural compared to Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing. Regardless its all fun and good and I always scream out in horror when I take the first and get the best lap time on the 2nd lap only to be zapped on the third lap multiple times to go from 1st to last place

PS: Pro AI are tough, I cant imagine Elite! Are the AI players using shortcuts on user generated levels too!

hxa155

Dedication Through Light said:
lol I have and still have the same problem, the drifting between games is on like the end of each side of the spectrum. In this drifting enables you to go faster, I guess, but it doesnt seem as floaty as the drifting Ive felt in other kart type racers, it seems a bit unnatural compared to Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing. Regardless its all fun and good and I always scream out in horror when I take the first and get the best lap time on the 2nd lap only to be zapped on the third lap multiple times to go from 1st to last place

PS: Pro AI are tough, I cant imagine Elite! Are the AI players using shortcuts on user generated levels too!

I think the drifting is very very good. I haven't played that Sega racer so I can't compare.

filipe

I don't like losing my temper with games, but this game can be so ridiculously unfair at times, especially when doing the challenges.

Take for instance my past race (which I've repeated 4 times now). I took care of both challenges before lap 1 is even done, so my mind is set on conversing my boost points (or whatever it's called) for my shield. End of the 3rd lap comes, I can taste the finish line and it's me going head to head with 2nd placer. I noticed a projectile coming, SHIELD, another comes and it hits both me and 2nd placer. It's all good, no one is even close to us, I take off.... HE WINS.

/rant

Sorry for that but I've never rage quit a game like I have this one. I don't even want to venture onto Online in fear that this'll happen every game for me.

Hypereides

Gold Member
filipe said:
I don't like losing my temper with games, but this game can be so ridiculously unfair at times, especially when doing the challenges.

Take for instance my past race (which I've repeated 4 times now). I took care of both challenges before lap 1 is even done, so my mind is set on conversing my boost points (or whatever it's called) for my shield. End of the 3rd lap comes, I can taste the finish line and it's me going head to head with 2nd placer. I noticed a projectile coming, SHIELD, another comes and it hits both me and 2nd placer. It's all good, no one is even close to us, I take off.... HE WINS.

/rant

Sorry for that but I've never rage quit a game like I have this one. I don't even want to venture onto Online in fear that this'll happen every game for me.

heh. I know how you feel I just beat Drillbit and Skidplate over many retries.

Had some challenges complete and suddenly the AI ramps up... I think its cool in a sort of sadomasochistic way :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Didn't know there was a way to check out creations on the website? Is this something new?

CzarTim

filipe said:

/rant

Online isn't that bad. Typically I see fewer weapons used. This is why i hate skill based unlocking in games. I'm not even going to bother.

demolitio

Ill try it out, maybe you could also though find a way to give it a photo (is that possible, I think I saw it on some peoples tracks)

Yea, I think I'll try to do that tonight. I don't know if I can change the name, but I might do that as well since I came up with nothing the other night when I made it. :lol

Thanks for trying it out.

I'm convinced that this game has rubberband AI. Has this been confirmed? So frustrating, I feel like despite me improving my ability to drift and shield properly, etc., the races are always just as frustrating.

netguy503

MisterAnderson said:
I'm convinced that this game has rubberband AI. Has this been confirmed? So frustrating, I feel like despite me improving my ability to drift and shield properly, etc., the races are always just as frustrating.

Your on the next to last race, huh?:lol

Sumasshu

My first mod attempt. I had just finished watching Spirited Away. ;) No Face:
modnationracersd.jpg

Also, I just published a cool desert track called Sands of Vera. It's a short track (40~ second laps) that I think is pretty fun.
modnationracers3.jpg

modnationracers4.jpg

modnationracers5.jpg

CzarTim

More GAF track reviews:

The Jungle - Good track. The tunnel was the best part. Two things: The boost after the devastator should be red. Its already hard to hit it, and when I did it flew me into the wall. Also, the Jump shortcut wasn't really a shortcut since I didn't realize it wan't the only way to go until I jumped in front of half the AI. It'd probably work better online, but with the AI mostly taking the road, I recommend making it harder to get to.

Sands of Vera - I spent most of my time on the wall for this one. The water in the tunnels was a nice touch. Not a bad map, but not memorable either. Keep at it, bro!

Great Pyramid Complex - Dude, great map. The part of the tunnel where you have to zig-zag was great. Going on my favorites list.

--------------------------

Is there a way to vote for a track after dling it without going back to the download page? Seems silly to vote before you've tried it, but a pain to go back.

czartim said:
Is there a way to vote for a track after dling it without going back to the download page? Seems silly to vote before you've tried it, but a pain to go back.

Just vote on it after you race it. It prompts you to vote when you finish your first race on a track in casual race area.

CzarTim

Just vote on it after you race it. It prompts you to vote when you finish your first race on a track in casual race area.
Ah, I've been doing an AI quick race, so that explains it.

demolitio

czartim said:
More GAF track reviews:

The Jungle - Good track. The tunnel was the best part. Two things: The boost after the devastator should be red. Its already hard to hit it, and when I did it flew me into the wall. Also, the Jump shortcut wasn't really a shortcut since I didn't realize it wan't the only way to go until I jumped in front of half the AI. It'd probably work better online, but with the AI mostly taking the road, I recommend making it harder to get to.

--------------------------

Thanks a bunch for the impressions. I didn't know where to put the boost to make it beneficial, so I'll definitely do what you said.

As far as the voting goes, I believe it asked me after playing a custom track with my friend. Like I didn't vote for it when I downloaded it, played it with a buddy, and then it asked me for a vote as soon as the race was over, but it only did that for some of the races.

John

What's the system with the tokens? What's the reasoning behind spending 2 or 4 tokens on a raffle instead of 1?

CzarTim

John said:
What's the system with the tokens? What's the reasoning behind spending 2 or 4 tokens on a raffle instead of 1?
they each give different items. Look a few pages back for a list.

CzarTim

Just won my first online race. :D Feels good, man.

I wish there was a way to just turn off the voice of the dude who talks during races. So fucking annoying.

Torillian

Neo Member
Thought I'd share the creation I'm most proud of so far, so I saw a heart engine and thought that I should make a car that looks like it was sown together from corpses

2d0njab.jpg

k99fna.jpg

The kart is meant to go with Stein from Soul Eater and I made him as well but I'm not nearly as proud of him.

2bxu0j.jpg

25sx8j7.jpg

As far as some tracks I recommend, I really like tracks that use a good assortment of obstacles so I really like Cavern Chaos and Furious Volcano.

@Czartim, you can turn off the crew chief, it's in the advanced audio options under "Dynamic Pit Radio"

Top Bottom