• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

That's ridiculous. A straight line is the first thing that should be added to any creation tool. The fact that it isn't in there at all is mind boggling.

W1SSY

Browsing through all of the user created stuff is making want to get this game so bad. I may not be able to control myself and end up going to pick it up Wednesday.

expy

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
What eyes are those on Shinji? They would go good on my Mega Man.

Bunch of stickers slapped together. lol

He's non-remixable, but you can download my Asuka Langley (same eyes) and use the sticker-set on a blank mod and then delete EVERYTHING except for the eyes. Then load up that sticker set onto your megaman.

expy said:
Bunch of stickers slapped together. lol

He's non-remixable, but you can download my Asuka Langley (same eyes) and use the sticker-set on a blank mod and then delete EVERYTHING except for the eyes. Then load up that sticker set onto your megaman.

if the eyes are just stickers, do they still animate? or will it remain static and the game counts it as having no eyes?

expy

Banned
Callibretto said:
if the eyes are just stickers, do they still animate? or will it remain static and the game counts it as having no eyes?

Always static... lol That's one downside, but you get the look you want. Plus it doesn't look that bad when you have it in game. You don't notice the "non-animation" too much.

depward

sturmdogg said:
How's the PSP community for this game?

It's been fairly solid. I play both PS3 and PSP versions and while I think the PS3 game is much, much better... the PSP game isn't anything to just pass over. It's a pretty dang good portable kart racer.

Online, it's pretty well done. You can upload / download creations and rate them (just like the PS3 version). Basically, to get into a game, you just go to the online match-up screen, have the filters show all games, and search. You'll see a lobby view of the available games.

Usually, there are a couple of games up. You don't have to wait very long (right now, anyway) for a game of 6 people. Same kind of XP / rating system as the PS3 version. It's not wildly popular but it's enough to get by.

They also included some online loading screen stuff, like showing you the top 5 karts downloaded online and how many DLs each has as well as the creator when loading an online race. Pretty nifty.

Working on my first track...question: Is it possible to have a branchable path using a tunnel? I made an area of track that I was planning on using road styles tool to make a tunnel that branches out into two tunnels...but the editor won't have it. It breaks the tunnel up and is acting as if the branching tool won't allow the use of tunnels.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Game crashed on me after I accepted the Grudgematch against Drillbit. Now I'm scared to do the Clean Lap Achievement again.... :(

Brewer

Neo Member
Um, got an email with a voucher code for airman cap, flight jacket and some kind of airplane-kart. If someone wants it, send me a pm.

Edit: Gone

Nymerio

neorej said:
Game crashed on me after I accepted the Grudgematch against Drillbit. Now I'm scared to do the Clean Lap Achievement again.... :(

I guess you won't be looking forward to the Clean Race achievement :lol

expy

Banned
Kyon's Sister (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu)

117siol.jpg

MrPliskin

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
That's ridiculous. A straight line is the first thing that should be added to any creation tool. The fact that it isn't in there at all is mind boggling.

But it is there...you just use the square...hit L1, and then modify it. I don't understand the necessity for redundancy by including a straight line.

expy

Banned
MrPliskin said:
But it is there...you just use the square...hit L1, and then modify it. I don't understand the necessity for redundancy by including a straight line.

Straight lines are over-rated. :lol

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
MrPliskin said:

But how can you squash the square? I have tried and didn't found anything, or I must be missing something. =/

CzarTim

Nyx said:
Had a few races on my first own track, and it turned out to be a pretty cool track to race on.

http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/nyx1978/creations/152245

It’s not spectacular by any means (no big jumps and such), but it’s great for drifting, if anyone wants to have look ?
In terms of pure balance, this is one of the better user created maps I've played. I actually forgot it was player-made until the second lap. Going on my favorites list.

expy

Banned
-DarKaoZ- said:
But how can you squash the square? I have tried and didn't found anything, or I must be missing something. =/

When you go into edit mode (when you select a shape), press L1 to enter advanced edit mode.. Go to the resize tab (Press R2), once you're there use the D-pad (up and down) to squash vertically, or (left and right) to squash horizontally.

To make a thin horizontal line, squish the square DOWN all the way, and STRETCH it with the RIGHT d-pad control.

Doel

XP race is so pointless. Barely anyone plays them because you can't play with your friends and you can't play on custom tracks. There shouldn't even be two types of modes, we should be able to gain XP on casual races.

If they are so worried about rankups then just allow XP to be gained on UFG tracks. And every month promote a user-created track into the XP list.

CzarTim

Doel said:
XP race is so pointless. Barely anyone plays them because you can't play with your friends and you can't play on custom tracks. There shouldn't even be two types of modes, we should be able to gain XP on casual races.

If they are so worried about rankups then just allow XP to be gained on UFG tracks. And every month promote a user-created track into the XP list.
Agreed. We also need a top creations this week filter.

John

Quick question - is it still easy to make characters without having bought lots of stuff, or do I have to go through the campaign and get everything first like in LBP?

Also does the campaign only get you tokens?

The game doesn't tell you much. Took me hours to figure out to press L1 at the beginning of races. :lol

Doel said:

I think the XP races are there to still at least give people who dont get all the popular votes for their creations a chance to rank up (since to my understanding you earn XP for both creating and racing). And it would be impossible to compete against people who just make licensed things and get votes that way...

They should have at least given some for the casual races.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
expy said:
When you go into edit mode (when you select a shape), press L1 to enter advanced edit mode.. Go to the resize tab (Press R2), once you're there use the D-pad (up and down) to squash vertically, or (left and right) to squash horizontally.

To make a thin horizontal line, squish the square DOWN all the way, and STRETCH it with the RIGHT d-pad control.

Thanks, I was looking all the way on how to do so, most games have that as a tab and not as a button specific thing. They need to change their layout a bit, never had such problem figuring this stuff out. :lol

Torillian

Neo Member
Nyx said:
Had a few races on my first own track, and it turned out to be a pretty cool track to race on.

http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/nyx1978/creations/152245

It’s not spectacular by any means (no big jumps and such), but it’s great for drifting, if anyone wants to have look ?

It's a great track, really enjoy it. I think you could use a few more traps during turns because those are always fun to drift your way between as well as barrel traps since those act on physics and always act a little differently, a shortcut somewhere would be great (there might be one and I just missed it though), and perhaps some more up and down movement for the track in general so it doesn't feel so flat. I like how you didn't go too trap crazy though, that always seems to be the issue that people either forget them entirely or go nuts with them and make an unfun track.

Liberty4all

Banned
RagnarokX said:
ok, here's my first track in the full game: Great Pyramid Complex: http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/ArgorokX/creations/391954

ModNationRacers_16.jpg

ModNationRacers-1.jpg

Drive around or through an ancient sphinx.

ModNationRacers_3-1.jpg

Enter the ancient tomb.

ModNationRacers_5-1.jpg

Pick your poison.

ModNationRacers_7.jpg

Wall-ride around columns.

ModNationRacers_10.jpg

Find a way through a flooded chamber infested with crocs.

ModNationRacers_11.jpg

Can you find your way out?

Edit: It's pretty dark inside the pyramid, but after a lap or two you should get the turns down.

Going to try this when I get home, looks awesome!!!!!

Sumasshu

How long do you usually have to wait when hosting a casual game for players to join? I've tried on multiple days and I'll just sit there waiting for 10-15 minutes with only a couple people joining then immediately quitting. I suspect they quit because there's only 1-2 other people in there. But how can you get a full room if everyone keeps quitting?

Sumasshu said:
How long do you usually have to wait when hosting a casual game for players to join? I've tried on multiple days and I'll just sit there waiting for 10-15 minutes with only a couple people joining then immediately quitting. I suspect they quit because there's only 1-2 other people in there. But how can you get a full room if everyone keeps quitting?

i wait until 2 people then I start the next race, then when we finish the race two more people, and repeat. Thats how I usually do it, they just come and come

netguy503

Dedication Through Light said:
i wait until 2 people then I start the next race, then when we finish the race two more people, and repeat. Thats how I usually do it, they just come and come

Yeah, alot of people I've seen will wait around for the the next race in my experience, though I usually wait for 4-5 to come in before I start (racing with 2 people makes this game lame). Sorry for your bad experiences. :/

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Nymerio said:
Is there any benefit for having a lot of XP? Items, or something?

E-Peen?

No idea. Anyhow GAF, track update! I'm working hard on new one with stuff I learned. Took down old one, and am creating the most sadistic off the wall track imaginable!

I got Mod Nation last night. My friends and I spent six hours straight playing :lol

It's really fun. The loading is annoying, but we just used it as time to fetch additional beer.

Sumasshu

Dedication Through Light said:
Thanks. That seemed to work for me. As soon as I had two other players, I started a small map. Then as soon as that game ended, there were 3 more people in the lobby almost immediately.

czartim said:
Sands of Vera - I spent most of my time on the wall for this one. The water in the tunnels was a nice touch. Not a bad map, but not memorable either. Keep at it, bro!
Thanks for your feedback. I think the problem is that I have a different opinion on what makes a track fun (I grew up playing more realistic racing games like GT, rather than kart racing games, which might explain it). To me a short semi-realistic track that looks pretty, has great turns and balanced branches makes a fun track to race on (not saying that my maps fit that description, but that's my goal.) It's less about tons of stuff being thrown in your face, and more about just learning the little nuances of the track. Granted it is hard to make it stand out without some kind of gimmick though.

John said:
Quick question - is it still easy to make characters without having bought lots of stuff, or do I have to go through the campaign and get everything first like in LBP?

Also does the campaign only get you tokens?

The game doesn't tell you much. Took me hours to figure out to press L1 at the beginning of races. :lol

Yeah it's easy to make a character, though you'll unlock a lot more stuff through the campaign. There's a limited choice to start you off initially but being creative can mean there's more there than meets the eye.

I'm a bit disappoined in the game I think, I'm not liking it as much as I want to. Dunno how much more I'll play. Maybe it's a lack of time thing but I don't have the heart for it right now. I'm hoping it'll grow on me more.

Torillian

Neo Member
Does anyone know a way to vote on tracks and favorite creators without playing the tracks online? I've been playing them offline and now I just want to go through and vote on the ones I like, but I can't figure out where to do this.

expy

Banned
Torillian said:
Does anyone know a way to vote on tracks and favorite creators without playing the tracks online? I've been playing them offline and now I just want to go through and vote on the ones I like, but I can't figure out where to do this.
When you're in the sharing area, go to downloads... Looks for the tracks you like, Press Triangle to vote.

Torillian

Neo Member
expy said:
When you're in the sharing area, go to downloads... Looks for the tracks you like, Press Triangle to vote.

crap, that's the way I ended up doing it, but I was hoping there was a way to just go through a list of what I've downloaded and vote on them as well as "heart" the creators. Kind of a convoluted way of doing it if you ask me.

Top Bottom