• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ModNation Racers |OT| Loading, Moaning And Creating Vinyl Clothing

AndyD

aka andydumi
MisterAnderson said:
This thread has died...it's depressing lol. I'll do my part and post some WIP screens of my latest mod. A StarCraft Ghost:

2mn0nl1.jpg
23uaekz.jpg
qnw5xt.jpg

It still needs work. I haven't started on his legs/feet yet, and there are other changes I am thinking about trying on his upper body/helmet but it's coming together decently I think.

It died because of E3. THat looks really good, did you make the goggles or is it an existing piece?

No45

MisterAnderson said:
This thread has died...it's depressing lol. I'll do my part and post some WIP screens of my latest mod. A StarCraft Ghost:
I need a break after fully completing the single player. Getting some RDR in, I'm sure I'll be back. ^_^

AndyD said:
It died because of E3. THat looks really good, did you make the goggles or is it an existing piece?

The goggles are an existing piece, and what gave me the idea to do the Ghost in the first place :D The shapes above the goggles/to the side of them are shapes I added. The mask directly under the goggles is also an existing piece, but I tried to make it look different by adding the "breather" tubes to the side of it. Still not sure if I'm sold on that design though, I ran out of pieces to use so was only able to put 3 "rings" on each side.

Edit: Do you think I should remove the shoulder pad/chest armor piece and just rely on stickers? What sucks about that piece is I can't put stickers on it so it looks rather plain. Although I'm on the verge of running out of stickers to use, i could just like...move up the midsection stickers to be up higher or something. I'll try it and see how it looks.

I see a lot people have said all ther is to say about the loading. It is putting me off along with the difficulty. Man this game is hard! So what about the patch? There's going to be another one?

Haven't gone online yet seeing as how I suck so much...

How do you boost off the line?

Here's my finished "StarCraft Ghost Pack" (Terran Ghost & Vulture)

I actually maxed out the sticker count on this mod, which is a first for me. I wanted to keep going but that was all it would allow me to put!

I needed a kart to go with him, so I made a kart inspired by the "Terran Vulture" hover cycle from StarCraft. I took some liberties (obviously) and made it a modified Vulture outfitted for the Ghost operative. I hope you guys like it.

7977.jpg

7976.jpg

7975.jpg

7974.jpg

7973.jpg

7972.jpg

http://www.modnationonline.com/modn...st-Pack-(Terran-Ghost-&-Vulture)-2992/details

edbrat

Don't know what I am doing wrong, everything else on my PS3 connects online without issue except this game which has never successfully connected. Purchased at launch, really wanted to get into it, left it a couple of weeks see if there would be a patch or if the issue would just go away but tried again just now and its still the same, fails to connect when I start the game, then when I am in my car try again manually and it never connects. Stopping me from getting into this and if I cannot fix soon I am giving up unfortunately. Is there a fix or workaround or am I in a minority of one with some weird problem that won't be addressed?

If I can't get online can I get my money back from Amazon on account of it being nowhere near the experience I was hoping for / promised on buying this game? So frustrating!

edbrat

expy said:
Anyone else unable to connect online? Getting this unauthorized/kicked message.

yes! Chk my post a few above yours, I've never been able to connect having purchased the game at launch, pissing me off so much. If nothing changes by end next week I'm giving up, huge shame I really want to get into this but the online aspect is huge in this title. Never had a problem with connectivity with anything else on my PS3.

Darkatomz

expy said:
Anyone else unable to connect online? Getting this unauthorized/kicked message.
I started playing this game for the first time today, and I'm getting the same damn problem. Obviously, my internet works fine as I can connect to the PSN no problem. I'm not going through any routers or switches either, so I don't know what the hell the problem is, I haven't heard of anything like it. Ugh.

To everyone (aside from the person who was having issues since launch) the servers went down yesterday for most of the day/evening and the message coming up for everyone was that they were unauthenticated/kicked from the servers.

As for some people never being able to connect, that is an issue for some (minority). I haven't really looked into it but if you search online I think there are router port forwarding issues that you might need to take care of, or that they are planning on fixing it in an upcoming patch. I am not sure though, but the issue is known and you're not alone.

Also thanks to all on their Ghost compliments! And awesome mod Expy, as always!

What's the online population of MNR like? Difficult to find full games, etc? A lot of the user-created content (like in this thread) is awesome. I thought this game would have been more popular - is it because of the loading times?

It's pretty popular. When I do XP race it always matches me up really quick. And there's always people in the modspot to make friends with and organize custom games and TONS of content to download.

Sumasshu said:
See my rant on getting my levels noticed...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398997

Does anyone have a solution to this? How are you getting your levels played?

My track doesn't have like 100,000 plays like those first popular ones that are forever to be throned "most popular tracks" until the devs sort out the way creations are being handled (which they are), but it has over 100 and this is due to advertising.

It's the only real way you can get it noticed, since the only other way is for people to blindly come across it among the crap loads of other tracks. I created an account on as many MNR forums as I could and showed people pictures of the track on the forum.

This website in particular is pretty cool: http://www.modnationonline.com/ as it has a "creation station" that lets you upload pictures/description of your creations and people can vote on it. The voting is separate from the in-game voting, but it's a good way to get people to notice your creations and then search for them in-game.

There's also the official PSN MNR website: http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/ModNation-Racers/ct-p/bUS_games_ModNation

This one: http://www.mnrcentral.com/forums/
And this one: http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/ModNation-Racers/bd-p/modnationracers
and there are others too I'm sure.

r1chard

I'm having a great time making tracks and just mucking around but I've run into some problems controlling the big jumps.

How do you control the distance?

Sometimes when I race on a track with big jumps (and with track deleted up to the landing point) the game thinks I've taken an illegal shortcut after jumping over them. Any ideas?

netguy503

Modnation Monday's post on the official blog:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ine-changes-and-creators-showcase/#more-31812

This response from a developer on the game in the comments made the post for me though:

Ramone Russell | June 28th, 2010 at 6:37 pm

The 250k create XP is a bug its supposed to be 2,500. Will have more info later.

That's a start and if they are changing that they will probably change the 500,000 XP (level 30) trophy and if they do the platinum will be much easier to get (in fact, I think I will have platinum with these changes). That makes me wonder, have you ever heard of a developer going in and changing trophies after the game is released? I didn't know you could do that. Anyways, I'm still not playing without a patch and the fact they are adding in new game elements without fixing the old one's first kind of scares me but I thought you'd guys like to know.

r1chard

r1chard said:
Sometimes when I race on a track with big jumps (and with track deleted up to the landing point) the game thinks I've taken an illegal shortcut after jumping over them. Any ideas?

Just talking to myself... I think I found the solution to this on another forum...

You have to go on the roadstyles and hit the triangle button to delete the track, then you go with the R2 and select the "reset zone" option and use it on the part of the track that you have deleted before. After that your jumps should work properly and you will not see the "invalid shortcut" message again.

RagnarokX

Oni Jazar said:
Wow still no patch? Kind of messed up for them to have promised one right when the game came out and no more mention since then.
From yesterday's blog: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/28/modnation-monday-online-changes-and-creators-showcase/

Patch Update?

Thanks for all the great comments and opinions on our last post. As UFG stated, we are listening to all your concerns and are hard at work on upgrades to make your experience the best possible. While we don’t have a date today, know that one will be coming soon.

expy

Banned
netguy503 said:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...ine-changes-and-creators-showcase/#more-31812

This response from a developer on the game in the comments made the post for me though:

The 250k create XP is a bug its supposed to be 2,500. Will have more info later.

That's a start and if they are changing that they will probably change the 500,000 XP (level 30) trophy and if they do the platinum will be much easier to get (in fact, I think I will have platinum with these changes). That makes me wonder, have you ever heard of a developer going in and changing trophies after the game is released? I didn't know you could do that. Anyways, I'm still not playing without a patch and the fact they are adding in new game elements without fixing the old one's first kind of scares me but I thought you'd guys like to know.

2,500 is too little.... They need to make you work for it... 25,000 is more realistic.

Lawr.

Neo Member
brilliant job with the NASA Astronaut and Moon buggy. Will have to remember to download next time I boot up MNR

netguy503

expy said:
2,500 is too little.... They need to make you work for it... 25,000 is more realistic.

2,500 is fine...it's only a silver trophy. Afterall, no word if they are going to change the gold 500,000 XP which is the REALLY tough one (though they most likely will as they are going through the hassle of correcting and modifying everyone's trophy list).

I was told the platinum trophy icon to this game is really, really LAME though. :(

r1chard

RagnarokX said:
Awesome. 5 stars :)

I'm still mucking around with the track creation mode and discovering so much stuff accidentally along the way. Like the difference between green and red boost pads (red boosts in a specific direction) and how to link triggers and triggerable things together. And also how to make a track that isn't just plain sucky :)

Hypereides

Gold Member
netguy503 said:

At this point Im pretty alright with the 250k create XP trophy. It motivates people to actually create stuff and explore the creation tools.

I say leave it be. Its there, its done.

RagnarokX

Thanks for the positive feedback on my NASA mod and kart.

Looks like this week they are releasing an official Sweet Tooth mod and kart: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/05/modnation-monday-sweet-tooth-strikes-back/

1oui3r.jpg

tbh I prefer the TM2 version, but the mounted gun props look cool.

highluxury said:
At this point Im pretty alright with the 250k create XP trophy. It motivates people to actually create stuff and explore the creation tools.

I'm sitting at just over 27,000 create XP and that's with a well made popular track published a week after launch. My second track has a fraction of the downloads of the first track. That trophy is near unobtainable. 2,500 may be too low, but 250,000 is definitely too high.

expy

Banned
highluxury said:

Even for the top modders out there, it's going to take a year to get near 250,000.

CozMick

Banned
expy said:
Even for the top modders out there, it's going to take a year to get near 250,000.

And this is also why there is no-one actually racing.

They're all gaining easy XP from creating shit :(

netguy503

CozMick said:
And this is also why there is no-one actually racing.

They're all gaining easy XP from creating shit :(

That and hideous load times. This patch needs to come out and soon. It's killing this very fun game. :(

Also, once again like the pre-order DLC, I have to say I've seen better of mods (in this case, Sweet Tooth)of classic Sony characters than the ones SONY is putting out themselves. That's pretty messed up. :(

MisterAnderson said:
Here's my finished "StarCraft Ghost Pack" (Terran Ghost & Vulture)

I actually maxed out the sticker count on this mod, which is a first for me. I wanted to keep going but that was all it would allow me to put!

I needed a kart to go with him, so I made a kart inspired by the "Terran Vulture" hover cycle from StarCraft. I took some liberties (obviously) and made it a modified Vulture outfitted for the Ghost operative. I hope you guys like it.

7977.jpg

7976.jpg

7975.jpg

7974.jpg

7973.jpg

7972.jpg

http://www.modnationonline.com/modn...st-Pack-(Terran-Ghost-&-Vulture)-2992/details

Holy hell. I don't have this game but that is truly amazing man.

j-wood

If you are at the share station, what does the steering wheel icon with the number beside it mean? I assume the down arrows are how many times your creation has been downloaded, and the magnifying glass is how many times it's come up in search, but what about the steering wheel?

j-wood said:
If you are at the share station, what does the steering wheel icon with the number beside it mean? I assume the down arrows are how many times your creation has been downloaded, and the magnifying glass is how many times it's come up in search, but what about the steering wheel?

How many times it's been used in a race I think.

j-wood

What about the two vertical graph things that sometimes come up on the left side of the screen when you are making a mod or a track? What do those represent?

CozMick

Banned
Just a head's up for anyone that still plays this........

Sweet Tooth from Twisted Metal has arrived in Modnation Racers.

4753695884_eddec708e9.jpg

4753059577_dd6e1ec824.jpg

4753695938_8e0a10c3db.jpg

Cool as fuck in my opinion :D

rc213

Played a lot the past 2 nights, Seems way easier to find/join xp races.

Need more people on my friends list that play this. Add me!

Top Bottom