• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MONACO |OT| What's yours is Mine, Garret

just got done playing with some random folks online - all nice stand up gentlemen.

Nice to hear. On the fence about this, as I don't really know anyone who'd be interested in playing this & I imagine multi-player with strangers could just descend into a trolls paradise.

Just read the GB review and it seems the single player is ok, but it is at heart a multiplayer game to get the most out of it.

I'll contemplate it some more...

Ledsen

Nice to hear. On the fence about this, as I don't really know anyone who'd be interested in playing this & I imagine multi-player with strangers could just descend into a trolls paradise.

Just read the GB review and it seems the single player is ok, but it is at heart a multiplayer game to get the most out of it.

I'll contemplate it some more...

If you're in a somewhat similar timezone (I'm in Sweden) I'll play with you :)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Spent a couple hours last night with 3 pals. Same kind of fun Left 4 Dead gives when things go well, but none of the hate and anger when things go bad. A kinder atmosphere, for what that's worth. Great fun with pals.

kazebyaka

Banned
Played first three levels. I like the gameplay, but i don't like the design, especially colors. It looks like an lsd dream. Nah, not for me. I'd prefer it like mark of ninja or something

vidcons

Banned
can someone mod out coins so it becomes i speed run coop stealth game. coins just ruin everything because they lead other people to ruin everything.

Ive got a really stupid question. Does this game on PC have a 4 player same TV mode? and if it does...how do you do that? just plug in 4 wired 360 controllers? haha Ive honestly never tried to play coop games on one PC in my whole life.

Mesoian

Ive got a really stupid question. Does this game on PC have a 4 player same TV mode? and if it does...how do you do that? just plug in 4 wired 360 controllers? haha Ive honestly never tried to play coop games on one PC in my whole life.

4 controllers, yes.

Mesoian

can someone mod out coins so it becomes i speed run coop stealth game. coins just ruin everything because they lead other people to ruin everything.

I feel real bad about playing this game multplayer because I'm such a gungho spastic idiot. Last night, I played a few open matches and, as the mole, just bored my way through the environment, running around as fast as I can while others used the distraction to enter various rooms and clean them out. But I would die and someone would have to come get me...

I don't use a lot of finesse.

JulianImp

I got it two days before its release, and played just three missions so far to see if I can play the game later using local co-op. From my research, it seems like it requires Xbox 360 controllers... which is quite a shame, since they're so dang expensive over here and I only have a single one, but two regular USB ones.

One thing that confused me is that the game didn't allow me to use the keyboard as player 1 and the controller for player 2, but mapped both to P1 instead. Is there anything I can do to make the game map them to two separate players?

justjim89

This game is pretty damn brutal on single player. Still can't figure out which character I prefer. Gentleman's disguises come in handy, but being able to knock guys out with the Cleaner seems indispensable in some levels. They all seem to have their benefits, but i can never pick a class for a level and be 100% confident in it. Currently on Musee Oceanagraphique and having a bit of trouble. Still haven't tried co-op, though it sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone else been going it alone?

Playing on Steam, btw.

Mesoian

This game is pretty damn brutal on single player. Still can't figure out which character I prefer. Gentleman's disguises come in handy, but being able to knock guys out with the Cleaner seems indispensable in some levels. They all seem to have their benefits, but i can never pick a class for a level and be 100% confident in it. Currently on Musee Oceanagraphique and having a bit of trouble. Still haven't tried co-op, though it sounds like a lot of fun. Anyone else been going it alone?

Playing on Steam, btw.

I played the single player for a few hours yesterday. It's fun, but frustrating. A lot of the niche effects of individual character's specialties feel cheapened when they're not being used in unison with each other. This game is fun during single player, but it sings in multiplayer, even when people aren't very good.

justjim89

I played the single player for a few hours yesterday. It's fun, but frustrating. A lot of the niche effects of individual character's specialties feel cheapened when they're not being used in unison with each other. This game is fun during single player, but it sings in multiplayer, even when people aren't very good.

Yeah, that's the feeling I get. Been having trouble finding people online.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've solo'd using a combo of the Gentleman, Redhead and Hacker up to the last 3 stages. It's possible, but it's never the same as having multiple people in a stage at once cleverly using their specialties.

Mesoian

Yeah, that's the feeling I get. Been having trouble finding people online.

Yeah, that was a pretty common problem last night. The amount of time I had to sit there and wait for another person to join a game once I got to the harder levels in the first storyline was pretty long. Luckily I found someone who was good and we cruised through 4 or 5 missions.

I'll probably be easier this weekend.

xJavonta

Banned
I got it two days before its release, and played just three missions so far to see if I can play the game later using local co-op. From my research, it seems like it requires Xbox 360 controllers... which is quite a shame, since they're so dang expensive over here and I only have a single one, but two regular USB ones.

One thing that confused me is that the game didn't allow me to use the keyboard as player 1 and the controller for player 2, but mapped both to P1 instead. Is there anything I can do to make the game map them to two separate players?

Try x360ce, I believe it allows you to emulate xinput on directinput controllers.

PatzCU

Got to play a little bit of this last night, it's really good! The single player seemed fun enough, but it blows my mind just thinking about the possibilities in multiplayer. Really looking forward to playing Monoco with friends.

I agree the art style does seem a little off-putting at first until you start understanding what's going on. The way line-of-sight is done is just great, although I wish I could peek around corners!

Mesoian

i-9H7gJHQ.jpg

Heh.

Wok

Ledsen

This game is AWESOME in multiplayer. I actually prefer 3 players to 4 because it gets less chaotic. I also urge everyone to play at least 1-1,5 hours to get to grips with the game, it's extremely confusing at first but once it clicks... it CLICKS.

Turfster

I've solo'd using a combo of the Gentleman, Redhead and Hacker up to the last 3 stages. It's possible, but it's never the same as having multiple people in a stage at once cleverly using their specialties.

Oooooh! That's it! We were supposed to cleverly use our specialities! Duckroll, that's what we were doing wrong. Next time, we need to stop running around like headless chickens in a Benny Hill sketch ;)

JulianImp

Okay, so I got to set the keyboard up correctly, but I can't get x360ce to recognize my lowly 2-axis 8-button Genius gamepad. It's really old and has no analog pads, but since the game only requires a D-pad, ABXY, L and R triggers and L shoulder buttons I thought I would be able to map the buttons correctly anyway, but when I boot up x360ce the pad has a red square on its tab, and doesn't show inputs on-screen like my 360 controller does, and the controller isn't recognized in-game.

Has anyone else had a problem such as this?

I'll be trying both pads out at the other computer tomorrow hoping we can get some 4-player action going, so I'm hoping things work better there.

duckroll

Oooooh! That's it! We were supposed to cleverly use our specialities! Duckroll, that's what we were doing wrong. Next time, we need to stop running around like headless chickens in a Benny Hill sketch ;)

Hey I wasn't running anywhere. I was sneaking. You guys did the running... into the guards... and then you brought them back to me, every time! :p

I said to stick together! When we did, things usually worked!

Usually. :p

Okay, so I got to set the keyboard up correctly, but I can't get x360ce to recognize my lowly 2-axis 8-button Genius gamepad. It's really old and has no analog pads, but since the game only requires a D-pad, ABXY, L and R triggers and L shoulder buttons I thought I would be able to map the buttons correctly anyway, but when I boot up x360ce the pad has a red square on its tab, and doesn't show inputs on-screen like my 360 controller does, and the controller isn't recognized in-game.

Has anyone else had a problem such as this?

You're wrong about that. The game requires an analog stick to aim the secondary weapon. On the keyboard you aim with the mouse, on a controller you use the right analog stick.

JulianImp

You're wrong about that. The game requires an analog stick to aim the secondary weapon. On the keyboard you aim with the mouse, on a controller you use the right analog stick.

Oh, that little detail flew over my head... I still haven't found a third, PS2-like gamepad I used to have until I misplaced it some time ago, so that one's all I have left other than the 360 pad.

I guess I won't be taking my older pad along with me tomorrow, then.

Turfster

Hey I wasn't running anywhere. I was sneaking. You guys did the running... into the guards... and then you brought them back to me, every time! :p

I said to stick together! When we did, things usually worked!

Usually. :p

Hey, I was... careful... usually. I just had a lot of.... bad luck in opening doors.
The "do stuff" key really should be different from the "walk forward" key, because the lag usually had me halfway in the room when I was "done" before I could react.

Top Bottom