• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey puts his balls on Ps2 and Xbox - more details

Trevelyon

The Monkey Ball games seriously underperformed on the GCN, I can't believe they haven't gone multiplatform earlier. Another smart move on Sega's behalf.

~cough~

segasonic

Trevelyon said:
The Monkey Ball games seriously underperformed on the GCN, I can't believe they haven't gone multiplatform earlier. Another smart move on Sega's behalf.

~cough~
This just in: Games get ported when they sell well, not when they sell bad.

Trevelyon said:

~cough~

Dude, the Monkey Ball games on the GameCube are one of the best sellers for them all generation.

segasonic said:
This just in: Games get ported when they sell well, not when they sell bad.

I've got a theory that this kind of brand dilution is a great way to kill off the fans that made the original a success in the first place, dooming the franchise.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Trevelyon said:

~cough~

Dude, it was one of Sega's best-sellers in the US.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
ToyMachine228 said:
Dude, the Monkey Ball games on the GameCube are one of the best sellers for them all generation.

Wow, we wrote almost the same thing. You are right of course sir, touché.

Trevelyon

ToyMachine228 said:

Folder said:
Dude, it was one of Sega's best-sellers in the US.

~cough~ ~cough~ ~cough~ ~cough ~blatant sarcasm~ ~cough~ ~cough~ ~cough~

Buck's got me covered.
thumbup.gif

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
buck naked said:
I've got a theory that this kind of brand dilution is a great way to kill off the fans that made the original a success in the first place, dooming the franchise.
The idea is to get the mainstream Xbox and PS2 users familiar with the franchise in preparation for Super Monkey Ball 3. When we asked various Sega people, that’s what they said in answer to “Why are you bothering so late in the day and what took so long.”

In the same way that the belated release of Animal Crossing into Europe seems like madness, it’s a relatively cheap way of building a franchise, in preparation for its follow-up.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Trevelyon said:
~cough~ ~cough~ ~cough~ ~cough ~blatant sarcasm~ ~cough~ ~cough~ ~cough~
[/img]

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - 757,523
Sonic Mega Collection - 319,182
Super Monkey Ball - 299,391
Super Monkey Ball 2 - 289,870
Sonic Adventure DX - 202,147
Phantasy Star Online I & II - 165,102
NFL 2K3 - 114,152
NBA 2K3 - 88,748
Skies of Arcadia Legends - 75,210
Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg - 74,153
NBA 2K2 - 72,001
Beach Spikers - 61,611
Home Run King - 61,605
Sega Soccer Slam - 35,850
NCAA Football 2K3 - 19,567
Virtua Striker 2002 - 7,898
NHL 2K3 - 7,199
NCAA Basketball 2K3 - 5,700

Combined sales now touch 1 million. Which for a GC exclusive isn't too bad in a single territory.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Animal Crossing's release wouldn't be madness even if there was no sequel coming (and maybe there's not, I've yet to see evidence that Animal Crossing DS is a sequel and not just a port with DS features).

EDIT: ^ Folder, you just don't get it. Quit now.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Mama Smurf said:
Animal Crossing's release wouldn't be madness even if there was no sequel coming (and maybe there's not, I've yet to see evidence that Animal Crossing DS is a sequel and not just a port with DS features).

EDIT: ^ Folder, you just don't get it. Quit now.
What don't I get? Are you being serious? *Confusion*

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Mama Smurf said:
You responded to the post which had to explain the sarcasm like you still didn't see it!
So it wasn't an error thinly masked with the "I was being sarcastic - honest" escape clause then? :)

Trevelyon

What error? my original post was complete unadulterated sarcasm which should've been quite obvious to everyone, in which it almost was.

segasonic

Trevelyon said:
What error? my original post was complete unadulterated sarcasm which should've been quite obvious to everyone, in which it almost was.
Hey, I understood it right off the bat. Do I get a cookie now?

Why there's no VF4 GC/Xbox I don't know. Add it to the 24-volume encyclopedia of Sega's stupid business decisions.

segasonic

buck naked said:

Electronic Arts

I can see this post going a 100 pages... ;)
Lnow that Sega is going to make Monkey Ball 3, I wounder if the GAF memebers that have been screaming for it are Happy or not becuase it is Multiplatform. I think besides doing the Occassional exclusive with PS2, releasing Multiplatform games is the way to go.

Grubdog

Banned
I'm only pissed off because it seems like PS2 and Xbox are getting content that GC owners don't have/most likely wont get. Either release this on GC as well, or fuck you Sega.. :|

segasonic said:
Hey, I understood it right off the bat. Do I get a cookie now?

Why there's no VF4 GC/Xbox I don't know. Add it to the 24-volume encyclopedia of Sega's stupid business decisions.

I am getting this gut feeling that Sega may bring Virtua Fighters 4 for both Gamecube and X-box. Just give it time.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Grubdog said:
I'm only pissed off because it seems like PS2 and Xbox are getting content that GC owners don't have/most likely wont get. Either release this on GC as well, or fuck you Sega.. :|
Agreed.
It seems a shame to let GameCube users build a franchise from the ashes of perhaps the worst distributed Sega coin-op of all time and then hand over the spoils to Xbox and PS2 owners. Kind of tlike, "...thanks a lot. See you later, suckers!"
But then, it could be argued that that's Sega all over. :(

lordmrw

Folder said:
Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - 757,523
Sonic Mega Collection - 319,182
Super Monkey Ball - 299,391
Super Monkey Ball 2 - 289,870
Sonic Adventure DX - 202,147
Phantasy Star Online I & II - 165,102
NFL 2K3 - 114,152
NBA 2K3 - 88,748
Skies of Arcadia Legends - 75,210
Billy Hatcher & the Giant Egg - 74,153
NBA 2K2 - 72,001
Beach Spikers - 61,611
Home Run King - 61,605
Sega Soccer Slam - 35,850
NCAA Football 2K3 - 19,567
Virtua Striker 2002 - 7,898
NHL 2K3 - 7,199
NCAA Basketball 2K3 - 5,700

Combined sales now touch 1 million. Which for a GC exclusive isn't too bad in a single territory.

Those sales numbers are extremely old.

Dave Long

Banned
I think the comment about brand dilution via cross platform release is right on. Exclusives are the way to go. You only make your game seem LESS desirable to the platform's owners by spreading it out across all three.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
lordmrw said:
Those sales numbers are extremely old.

Hence, "Combined sales now touch 1 million. Which for a GC exclusive isn't too bad in a single territory."

8bit

Knows the Score
Grubdog said:

I can't see it being worth their while to re-port it back to the GC for 46 new levels. However, I suppose anyone with only a gamecube would be eager to snap it up.

If they can rerelease Phantasy Star Online I & II with added 'extras' they can and probably will port Monkey Ball Deluxe..

I've had the game for a couple of years now. Shame on anyone who needs to buy this.

*shakes head*

Bring on SMB3!

Folder said:
Agreed.
It seems a shame to let GameCube users build a franchise from the ashes of perhaps the worst distributed Sega coin-op of all time and then hand over the spoils to Xbox and PS2 owners. Kind of tlike, "...thanks a lot. See you later, suckers!"
But then, it could be argued that that's Sega all over. :(

Gamecube is getting Monkey Ball 3. I don't seee the problem. Yes, not getting 46 puzzles kind of sucks for Gamecube owners, but the only thing I could see Sega doing is decommissioning Monkey Ball 1 and 2 and release Monkey Ball DX. Maybe Sega feels that Monkey ball DX wouldn't sell to Gamecube owners that own Monkey Ball 1 and 2. truthfully, Virtua Fighters 4:Evo didn't sell nearly as well as Virtua Fighters 4, Probally becuase peopel thought of it as an upgrade and not a sequel. Monkey Ball DX will be fresh for PS2 and X-box. think on this Monkey Ball 1 and 2 were made by Amusement Vison, Monkey Ball DX is more likely out-sourced.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
sonic4ever said:
Gamecube is getting Monkey Ball 3. I don't seee the problem. Yes, not getting 46 puzzles kind of sucks for Gamecube owners, but the only thing I could see Sega doing is decommissioning Monkey Ball 1 and 2 and release Monkey Ball DX. Maybe Sega feels that Monkey ball DX wouldn't sell to Gamecube owners that own Monkey Ball 1 and 2. truthfully, Virtua Fighters 4:Evo didn't sell nearly as well as Virtua Fighters 4, Probally becuase peopel thought of it as an upgrade and not a sequel. Monkey Ball DX will be fresh for PS2 and X-box. think on this Monkey Ball 1 and 2 were made by Amusement Vison, Monkey Ball DX is more likely out-sourced.

Fair point. Though I'm betting SMB fans owning GameCubes will be pissed at not getting a chance to play the exta levels.

The development is outsourced btw. Confirmed by Sega though they might "...not make a song and dance about it," or something.

SyNapSe

Dave Long said:
I think the comment about brand dilution via cross platform release is right on. Exclusives are the way to go. You only make your game seem LESS desirable to the platform's owners by spreading it out across all three.

I agree for the most part. Ports end up sometime being not nearly as good as if programmed for one console, and are less likely to take advantage of any specialty type features the console has.

However, I believe Monkey Ball is the exact type of game that should be ported to all the consoles. There isn't really a whole lot to the game. Most of the game requires you to use one button of the controller, so there can't be any of the normal problems with games specifically created around lets say the DS2 and then they try to port it over. It's also just a good fun party game. Graphics, etc. just aren't as important for the most part.

segasonic said:
Electronic Arts

Fair point. I don't think a qualified statement can be made on the issue yet. Perhaps I'll leave it for an editorial or something when this generation is closer to finishing.

But my thinking is along the lines of Dave Long's, with a game becoming less desirable to Nintendo audiences when it is on all three platforms. My point acknowledges the existence of an ingrained fanboy mentality and also stereotypes of the Gamecube audience (ie: a high ratio of 'hardcore' owners), both things that are kind of hard to qualify.

After starting strong, I think Sega has really let Nintendo fans down this generation. Same with Acclaim and Lucas Arts.

I agree.

They're platform agnostic when it suits them, that's whats annoying. The promise of it a few years ago, made it seem like you could get any console and still get all of the SEGA games you love. And thats not the case. They're all over the place. And the sales don't even justify it. I actually think the console they support the best, is the one they suck most on in that regard.

Had they given every game the multiplatform treatment this wouldn't be an issue for me. But SMB was kinda compensation for Outrun/Shinobi/Panzer-Dragoon/Shenmue/Virtua-Fighter and others. And it was great compensation.

I still can't wait for SMB3 naturally. I love SMB 1/2 that much I might actually pick up SMBDeluxe if the extra stages are cool...

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
God I want Super Monkey Ball 3.

If this version is online enabled I would be incredibly happy (I'm a proud owner of the first two).

buck naked said:
Fair point. I don't think a qualified statement can be made on the issue yet. Perhaps I'll leave it for an editorial or something when this generation is closer to finishing.

But my thinking is along the lines of Dave Long's, with a game becoming less desirable to Nintendo audiences when it is on all three platforms. My point acknowledges the existence of an ingrained fanboy mentality and also stereotypes of the Gamecube audience (ie: a high ratio of 'hardcore' owners), both things that are kind of hard to qualify.

After starting strong, I think Sega has really let Nintendo fans down this generation. Same with Acclaim and Lucas Arts.

Why should a game becoming less desirable to Nintendo audiences when it is on all three platforms?? Gamecube IS getting monkey Ball 3, it shouldn't matter if the other systems are geting the game. They should be happy that the Gamecube is getting support from Sega. I mena what has Konami done for Gamecube of late? Only capcom, namco and Sega are the 3 Japanses companies that have been treating Gamecube well with support.

sonic4ever said:
Why should a game becoming less desirable to Nintendo audiences when it is on all three platforms?? Gamecube IS getting monkey Ball 3, it shouldn't matter if the other systems are geting the game. They should be happy that the Gamecube is getting support from Sega. I mena what has Konami done for Gamecube of late? Only capcom, namco and Sega are the 3 Japanses companies that have been treating Gamecube well with support.

Right on the fucking money.

radioheadrule83 said:
I agree.

They're platform agnostic when it suits them, that's whats annoying. The promise of it a few years ago, made it seem like you could get any console and still get all of the SEGA games you love. And thats not the case. They're all over the place. And the sales don't even justify it. I actually think the console they support the best, is the one they suck most on in that regard.

Had they given every game the multiplatform treatment this wouldn't be an issue for me. But SMB was kinda compensation for Outrun/Shinobi/Panzer-Dragoon/Shenmue/Virtua-Fighter and others. And it was great compensation.

I still can't wait for SMB3 naturally. I love SMB 1/2 that much I might actually pick up SMBDeluxe if the extra stages are cool...

Well it seems that Sega just realized that porting and multiplatform is the way to go. Who know maybe those Games you want will go multiplatform after awhile. Give it time, before it is over you could be playing Virtua Fighters, Panzeer Dragoon, shinobi, ect on Gamecube at a later date. Don't give up hope.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
sonic4ever said:
Well it seems that Sega just realized that porting and multiplatform is the way to go. Who know maybe those Games you want will go multiplatform after awhile. Give it time, before it is over you could be playing Virtua Fighters, Panzeer Dragoon, shinobi, ect on Gamecube at a later date. Don't give up hope.

What Sega will do with any of its IP on any platform is anyone's guess.

headless%20chicken.gif

sonic4ever said:

Why is a game less desireable? The obvious ones... poor implementation of controls, sloppy compression of audio and video, worse graphics and framerate...

But what I'm thinking is that there is something deeper that is going on. Similar to the way exclusive Xbox games (particularly early in the systems life) were over-hyped by the fans. It's not even a devotion to sales, or undyingly to Nintendo... It's kind of a competition between fanboys and that having an exclusive title to your system adds something to your identity.

It's entirely conceptual, but it interests me.

"They should be happy that the Gamecube is getting support from Sega."

They were happy when they were, but that was a while ago now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Electronic Arts
I think both you and him are actually correct, and that it depends on a franchise. If a franchise is deeply rooted in the hardcore following, I think it stands a chance of losing it's appeal if it gets ported around (you would hear words like 'whored around')

Why do I think this? There's at least two reasons:

1. There's a perception (among hardcore) that the quality of the game drops when it's developed for multiple platforms simultaneously. Never mind if it's actually true or not, it's definitely perceived as such. Loss of quality => Loss of interest => Franchise diluted.

2. Some people identify, to a degree, with the philosophy behind some game and the console it's on. For them, that philosophy defines a certain clique, a set of mind, a model of thinking to follow (example: Nintendo makes games that are perceived among their fans as creations that transcend age and gender, games that are universally fun -- they find that aspect appealing, and would perhaps one day like to make their own games, or art, that would similarly transcend boundaries) Make that game available for the 'lesser' people, people that they think didn't care for those games anyways, and they lose that appeal. Developer has 'betrayed' the perceived ideals. Even if some people don't realize they follow this thought process, it's often there. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, mind you. What fun would the world be if everyone would follow plain logic?

buck naked said:
Why is a game less desireable? The obvious ones... poor implementation of controls, sloppy compression of audio and video, worse graphics and framerate...

But what I'm thinking is that there is something deeper that is going on. Similar to the way exclusive Xbox games (particularly early in the systems life) were over-hyped by the fans. It's not even a devotion to sales, or undyingly to Nintendo... It's kind of a competition between fanboys and that having an exclusive title to your system adds something to your identity.

It's entirely conceptual, but it interests me.

"They should be happy that the Gamecube is getting support from Sega."

They were happy when they were, but that was a while ago now.

First, just becuase a game is Multiplatform doens't mean the controls, graphics or audio would be bad. thier are alot of Multiplatform games that turn out good on all systems.

I understand the whole devotion to a company and even system. I cheered when the Sega Genesis would get a game or a franchise that was once exclusive to Nintendo, but I never hated a company if they made a game became multiplatform. I even Understood some companies like Square making exclusive games for the Super NES in the 16 bit days. I will admit I have a great Love for Sega to this day, but after the Dreamcast I stopped caring video game machine manufatureres themselevs (Sony, MS and nintendo).

It seems all these People to care about their Video game brand ( Sony, Ms and, Nintendo) more then the Sega games themsleves. If this or that game is not exclusive then they cry foul. This attitude is what makes me angry, it saying if you don't make a game only for us, then you suck and your games suck, and then start to insult thier other games just becuase it is on another system. As a Sega fan that makes me sick. If the Nintendo Fans refuse to Buy Monkey Ball 3, just becuase it not exclusive, then all that will say to Sega, just don't support them like alot of other Japanese companies. I know Nintendo fans always Talk about the Japanese companies supporting Nintinedo over MS but in reality both have been screwed over from japanese companies for support. It seems the Japanese companies only look at the PS2.

Sega has supported Nintendo, and still do. While some my not like thier games they have given Nintendo, it is still support.

So once a game loses its exclusivity to a particular console, it stops being fun to the owners of that console? If that's the case, make everything multiplatform and drive those fucking losers to a new hobby.

rawk

I think Cube fans are just sore that the two series sega decided to make multiplatform (so far) were previously Cube exclusive. So it just makes the Cube seem less special. But hey, whatever -- hopefully it'll lead to Crazy Taxi 3, JSR on the Cube, etc. It would be great if they'd just go multiplatform.

Top Bottom