• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

botticus

Didn't plan on trying Gobul again tonight, and I wish I hadn't. Such a frustrating fight. Didn't faint at all but I'm just spending the last ten minutes hoping he wanders over to the shore so I can fish him out and at least get something for the otherwise-wasted hour.

Enjoy your froggie! Ooh, a Paralysis Sac.

Hawkian said:
What weapon you soloing him with?
SnS, haven't bothered learning anything else yet. Amusingly enough by the time I use up my frogs, I might be able to fight him with his own sword just from fishing him out.

Boney

Banned
Man great quests everybody! Still don't have either my plate nor my gem oh well.
The full Jhen fight is amazing. I know everybody is sick of it because of all the farming, but the full fight is, again, amazing.

PROTIP: Bring dragon weapons. Attack feet like madmen.

butzopower said:
Boney, I thought I added you to my friend roster, but I guess I didn't. I'm PUSBALLS. Currently on Wisdom 1 / 40 doing 2*, we have room for 2 more.
That's wierd.. I definately have you added. Maybe tommorow we'll have to correct that. Didn´t notice the invite sorry dude.

Dreavus

Hawkian said:
Just fought Rathian for the 13th time, no plate.

Just fought Lagi for the first time, plate.

What.

Yeah, low percentage drops can get pretty frustrating in this game. It took me probably 20+ Gigginox fights for both my friend or I to get even ONE fearsome maw between us. I just recently got mine but he's still looking for one (+3 more, he found out he needs them to upgrade his shadow sword).

I had never had a problem with it until this one material. Even earth dragon gems seemed to come easy. I guess you don't really think about how bullshit some of the drop %'s are until you're on the receiving end of a dry spell.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
PounchEnvy said:
Is there room for one more? I wanna fight some Rathian!

I'm doing a Gobul and then gonna keep doing raths till I get my plate, so if somebody in my group drops out I'll post and let you know. Wis 1/40/8

Poyunch

Hawkian said:
I'm doing a Gobul and then gonna keep doing raths till I get my plate, so if somebody in my group drops out I'll post and let you know. Wis 1/40/8
Good because I feel uncomfortable playing with the "big boys". :lol

Lonely1 said:
They charge you when you got a good hit.

True, and they do it frequently. Constantly ignoring their natural predator threatening their herd, and deciding that their efforts should be focused on some little strange thing covered in metal and bones.

However, the Bnahabra bides its time and waits silently. It is so weak, you never even think about it. Then, a monster falls over or is about to charge and WHAM PARALYZED WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK SHIT A GODDAMNED BUG ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME GET THE FUCK UP OH JESUS

Dreavus

EmCeeGramr said:
so what's the most annoying

melynx
bnahabra
ludroth
rhenoplos

During a boss fight? I'm going to have to go with ludroths, but only in the water.

Melynx usually get their ass kicked by whatever big monster I'm fighting. Same with Bnahabra, who miss a lot of their attacks anyway. Rhenoplos are #2, but I haven't had a problem with them during a big fight. Ludroths, on the other hand, seem beefy enough to LIVE when a boss is thrashing around, and seem to charge you at the stupidest times, which when underwater also means from any goddamned direction. The most annoying part is you can't really divert your attention to take care of them when a Gobul is currently trying to eat you.

EDIT: ^^ oh god I forgot the bugs could paralyze. I haven't had that happen to me in a fight, but holy shit that would suck. :lol

Alex

Rhenoplos IMO. They love to charge and knock you across the field in bad moments.

Melynx are small, easy to dodge, even in the heat of it, dont knock you down and typically get trashed by bosses.

EmCeeGramr said:
so what's the most annoying

melynx
bnahabra
ludroth
rhenoplos

Ludroth but if you're a gunner cha cha ranks up there pretty high. Lining up a clean shot only to have rapid fire crag lodge in the back of his skull right next to you can be frustrating. If he's such a fast reader, he could read up on gun safety for idiots.

Hi, just bought the game this evening and have never played a Monster Hunter game before and I have a few questions if anyone is willing to answer or point me to a page in the thread that deals with these questions. (I read the OP).

Ok, I started out with the classic controller and noticed I couldn't sheath my sword unless I held down the L button and searched through my items and picked "no item selected".

Is there a more intuitive setting for simply sheathing my sword? I read in the manual that sheathing and unsheathing is accomplished with the + button.....which moves me to...

Why on the classic controller is the + button an attack button and y for items. Is this highly unintuitive for anyone else? The manual tell me if I pick control scheme 2 I lose camera control on the right thumbstick but thankfully can use X as the kick/tackle button.

I want to be able to use the camera while I walk/run so, so far, this isn't a control option.

Any helpful insights into how others of you are playing this game? If you are used to this type of control scheme or if it took alot of getting used to, I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I know I'm slow guys, but I just forged my first worthwhile weapon (I guess) in the Rugged Great Sword. Had to down many Great Jaggi's to get this thing and Ive been looking forward to it for a couple days now. When I finally got to see it on my back it felt so awesome. Not enough games nowadays that give you that great feeling of accomplishment.

Nicktals

Banned
Incitemaybe said:
Hi, just bought the game this evening and have never played a Monster Hunter game before and I have a few questions if anyone is willing to answer or point me to a page in the thread that deals with these questions. (I read the OP).

Ok, I started out with the classic controller and noticed I couldn't sheath my sword unless I held down the L button and searched through my items and picked "no item selected".

Is there a more intuitive setting for simply sheathing my sword? I read in the manual that sheathing and unsheathing is accomplished with the + button.....which moves me to...

Why on the classic controller is the + button an attack button and y for items. Is this highly unintuitive for anyone else? The manual tell me if I pick control scheme 2 I lose camera control on the right thumbstick but thankfully can use X as the kick/tackle button.

I want to be able to use the camera while I walk/run so, so far, this isn't a control option.

Any helpful insights into how others of you are playing this game? If you are used to this type of control scheme or if it took alot of getting used to, I'd like to hear it. Thanks!

I don't know what you're talking about...For me, I can only use items if my sword is sheated. You press 'y' to sheathe your weapon, and then press 'y' again to use an item. The plus button does a kick (which is useful for un-stunning your team mates). Are you using classic control 1?

EDIT: Also, if you are on classic control 1, you can easily change the camera while walking/running, by using the right analog stick.

Poyunch

Incitemaybe said:

Press Y to sheath. I never found the control setup for CC1 to be unintuitive. If I'm correct (at least for the Switch Axe in axe mode) you can accomplish SOME attacks the + button does if you know how.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This was totally not my day for MH3... Died 3 times against Lagiacrus before i could finally kill him, all this for 1 horn so i could make the Lagiacrus Helm. And then i die another time while fighting Rathalos.

... I really need to try a faster weapon than a Great Sword, i get hit way too many times while in the middle of a swinging animation. But i got a Vulcanis (R) when all my other weapons are crap, its gonna hurt going from a Great Sword with 720 attack power to a Sword & Shield with not even 200.

Poyunch

Bisnic said:
This was totally not my day for MH3... Died 3 times against Lagiacrus before i could finally kill him, all this for 1 horn so i could make the Lagiacrus Helm. And then i die another time while fighting Rathalos.

... I really need to try a faster weapon than a Great Sword, i get hit way too many times while in the middle of a swinging animation. But i got a Vulcanis (R) when all my other weapons are crap, its gonna hurt going from a Great Sword with 720 attack power to a Sword & Shield with not even 200.
If you're having trouble landing blows you with a Great Sword might be better off since the speed of the SnS's attacks build up the damage.

Incitemaybe said:
Ok, I think I'm just getting confused easily right now. I was able to sheath when fighting monsters as I would have expected.

You guys who are using Classic setup 1, are you using the + button as an attack when fighting monsters? It says in sheathed mode this is kick/tackle, but in unsheathed mode it seems like a "strong" attack to me.....
Yes. At least for the Switch Axe in Sword Mode. I have no need for it for my alternate weapon (Sword and Shield).

Ok, I think I'm just getting confused easily right now. I was able to sheath when fighting monsters as I would have expected.

You guys who are using Classic setup 1, are you using the + button as an attack when fighting monsters? It says in sheathed mode this is kick/tackle, but in unsheathed mode it seems like a "strong" attack to me.....

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is the Tusk Gear SnS worth it for later upgrades? It's currently the strongest one i could forge once i get the right materials, which aren't very hard to get thankfully. There isn't a lot of yellow & green sharpness on it though, so hopefully the upgrades are much better.

hiro4

Had my first gaf groups this week. It was awesome! Thanks dimitri, muro and frz.

Did the great jaggi event yesterday all went fine till the quru killed me with his fire clap while I was sheathing my weapon :(.

Anyways kb is a MUST.
Does anyone here use a wireless keyboard? I'm looking for one so any recommendation is welcome.

Korigama

Playing offline a bit more for now, only just beat Qurupeco, with Royal Ludroth up next. Finally managed to forge the Bnahabra set, which I'd been meaning to do ever since learning of it
(I thought it'd look cute, and I was right)
. Now just to get a Switch Axe and Lance where I can attach a decoration to negate the Double Poison negative skill, if possible...

Alex

It was nice playing with you earlier, Sprks.

Is there any real trick to getting the advanced quests to show? I wanted to clear out the low ranks before really moving onto the high steadily.

Top Bottom