• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Finally got my 5 star urgent. Didn't realize that when you upgrade a regular gear to the higher version of itself, the outcome is different than creating high rank gear of the same kind.

Poyunch

Hawkian said:
Aw man I'm sorry!
Haha it's fine. I'm done for the day/night anyway.

FootNinja said:
Finally got my 5 star urgent. Didn't realize that when you upgrade a regular gear to the higher version of itself, the outcome is different than creating high rank gear of the same kind.
?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
PounchEnvy said:
For example. Say you upgrade rathalos gear to is max. You get an option to upgrade it to a different rarity with color customization and the same defense stat as rathalos+ gear. I believe the abilities and resistances remain different though.

I previously thought that you just upgraded it to rathalos+

PounchEnvy said:

If you upgrade low rank armor to "high rank," it simply upgrades the defense stat to high rank level defense. If you actually make high rank armor, it will have different, usually better, stats.

L00P

Hawkian said:
17 rathian captures. no plates.

Did you try getting those sparkly thing she drops when she eats the Aptonoth? I got a plate from that. I never did receive it from the rewards nor from carving.

hiro4

Incitemaybe said:
You guys who are using Classic setup 1, are you using the + button as an attack when fighting monsters? It says in sheathed mode this is kick/tackle, but in unsheathed mode it seems like a "strong" attack to me.....
I'll use the + button sparingly. Depends on the moment. But kicking is an awesome and usefull move.

For the switch axe I sometimes use the + for the uppercut move in axe mode and the explosion attack in sword mode.

Also for the greatsword knock out combo you have to use the + button.

Tenbatsu

FootNinja said:
For example. Say you upgrade rathalos gear to is max. You get an option to upgrade it to a different rarity with color customization and the same defense stat as rathalos+ gear. I believe the abilities and resistances remain different though.

I previously thought that you just upgraded it to rathalos+
G armor are better for mixing thou.

This game is amazing. First time playing any MH before. VERY addictive.
I love how the run animation changes when you're in the same zone as a massive beast, like your character is going "oh shit oh shit oh shit"

The animation overall is unbelievable.
The sunken forest level matches early PS360 games, if it weren't for the resolution. Truly gorgeous.

Poyunch

BlackSalad said:
gobul event is broken
Why? Is it because completing the main quest didn't end in victory? I just assumed you had to fulfill all the requirements (which I know is stupid).

edit:
Raptor%20Fall.gif

This gif makes me think of Monster Hunter. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
PounchEnvy said:
Why? Is it because completing the main quest didn't end in victory? I just assumed you had to fulfill all the requirements (which I know is stupid).

That's probably what it is. The first Event quest was like that too. Not broken, just a design decision.

koji

schuelma said:
Welcome to my world. I don't even have time to get online until the weekend :(

Hahaha, tell me about it, only have a couple hours playtime each week, reading this thread is pretty frustrating... :lol

Been able to pick up tons of good info though, now if I'ld only be able to play the game, that would be awesome!

Wow. Why didnt i build a fire tempest sooner?

Also, me and another guy have really bonded over Monster Hunter. We play almost everyday and we are constantly joking with each other over keyboard It helps he is really really good. Feels good.

demonkaze

Another awesome night of questing again with dreavus and bandis, now just need 1 more rank to do my next (jhen) urgent. I really wish the agnaktor quest would appear more often, still need 2 claws for dancing flames

Tenbatsu

Wonder what will we get from the new urangan/diablos quest? The jap ver was the famitsu lance. This might be one of the new contest weapons. Hmm.

Edit: Gobul it's jumbo pearl.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Tenbatsu said:
Wonder what will we get from the new urangan/diablos quest? The jap ver was the famitsu lance. This might be one of the new contest weapons. Hmm.

Edit: Gobul it's jumbo pearl.
Well I did the quest a few times and I repeatedly got a ticket that helps create this lance which looks like a gunlance.

Tenbatsu

FootNinja said:
Well I did the quest a few times and I repeatedly got a ticket that helps create this lance which looks like a gunlance.
Ho it's the same famitsu lance. So I assume all jap ver event quest weapons will be in, plus the new ones. Not bad!

Niblet

Tenbatsu said:
Ho it's the same famitsu lance. So I assume all jap ver event quest weapons will be in, plus the new ones. Not bad!
What?! So are you saying I can get my Tessaiga and finally fulfill my dream of being Sesshomaru's bottom like in my Slash fic?!:D

On a sidenote I say we start a pot drawing based on when we think Hawkian will get his Rathian plate.

Oh man, I seriously want this game, but I'm pretty bad at dividing my attention between multiple games (especially when one is an online RPG), and there's too much coming out in the next month for me to be able to ignore in favour of MHT. Alan Wake, Red Dead Redemption, Sakte 3, Prince of Persia, and Mario Galaxy 2. But at the same time, I'm worried that if I wait too long before getting MHT, the online community will die off.

If I were to get MH now, and play it on the side, how would I find it in regards to playing with friends who put a lot more time into it? I've never played an MH game before, so I have no idea how it's structured. Is it like World of Warcraft, in which is I fall too far behind my friends, we'll end up playing seperately, unless they're willing to help me out for rewards that would be useless to them (and also making the game too easy, as they'd just be slaughtering everything)?

Also, a quick question; does anybody here happen to chat via XBox Live running in the background while playing this, as opposed to using Wii Speak? I don't have Wii Speak, and that's how me and a friend would play if I did get this, but I was wondering if I'd be able to find other people to play with.

LALILULELO

Neo Member
finally got my PAL copy..after waiting ages for it.

all I can say is that I am already happy seeing the changes from 2ndG to Tri.
Cant wait to play with the new big boys.

Successfully hunted Barioth for the first time last night! I captured him when he was sleeping in 6 even if I could have killed him, just to be sure I actually finish the quest. I'll return to him once I get a fire lance. Now I need to decide between Gigginox or Rathalos for my next hunt.

Haunted

At this point I'm not sure if I even want my Los set anymore. :mad:

Going to do the new Event missions now.

edit: also, the Guan Dao is almost good enough to make me consider switching my main weapon from SA to LS. Almost.

EmCeeGramr said:
so what's the most annoying

melynx
bnahabra
ludroth
rhenoplos
Them cats be stealing mah shit! Easily the worst.

PounchEnvy said:
Raptor%20Fall.gif

This gif makes me think of Monster Hunter.
:lol Someone needs to put the "Quest complete" stamp on this after the mascot falls down.

I just got to say I've been following this game ever since it was annonced and have been playing this game more than anything.... more than WoW, more than SSF4. I'm just in love with it. The only thing I hate about it is Wiispeak, GOD I hate that damn thing. Well that and the fact that my daughter is on my ass about always playing the Wii now, haha. Guess I'll pony up some dough and get the Black Wii now.

But enough of that, hope to catch you all online some time, seeing that most of my game play has been offline and I'm only HR2 ;)

dsister44

im having trouble with armour skills. At the moment i'm using full qurupeco armour with a charm and all slots filled. The skills I have are: attack up(s) Evasion + 1 Recovery up, defesne up (s) and auto guard.

Everyone one else seems to be going for higher levels of armour but for me my current skill set is awesome whilst everyone seems to be going for rathian I don't see more health and fire resistance as a good trade for better defense, evasion and more effective healing items. Is it worth it for the higher defense? or am I being blind and missing something really obvious. I'd like to get more skills of course but i'm not sure how without sacrificing one of the skills i currently have. Is there any i have that are really rubbish and should replace?

Looking forward to hearing gafs expert advice :)

Owzers

dsister44 said:
im having trouble with armour skills. At the moment i'm using full qurupeco armour with a charm and all slots filled. The skills I have are: attack up(s) Evasion + 1 Recovery up, defesne up (s) and auto guard.

Everyone one else seems to be going for higher levels of armour but for me my current skill set is awesome whilst everyone seems to be going for rathian I don't see more health and fire resistance as a good trade for better defense, evasion and more effective healing items. Is it worth it for the higher defense? or am I being blind and missing something really obvious. I'd like to get more skills of course but i'm not sure how without sacrificing one of the skills i currently have. Is there any i have that are really rubbish and should replace?

Looking forward to hearing gafs expert advice :)

After going from Barroth armor set to Jhen armor set, 66 defense to 120 defense....it seems to be helping a lot.

botticus

Can someone remind me where you find frogs? Just about running out for Gobul fishing.

Not sure why I keep trying, stupid game. :p Got him limping the last time but ran out of potions so I was pretty stuck.

Kyoufu

Ridley327 said:
It's also used for the Great Sword's stun combo if you're in the mood for Kelbi Horn farming.

Yup. Also I use it to end another player's animation after they eat or sharpen.

In MHP2 it was nice way to help someone get all the possible carves on Fatalis by kicking them after each carve.

Tenbatsu

Niblet said:
What?! So are you saying I can get my Tessaiga and finally fulfill my dream of being Sesshomaru's bottom like in my Slash fic?!:D
It seems Tessaiga is not in, replaced by Tenebra.

True Cutter Sword -> Lion's Bane
Pirate J Axe -> Sinister Saint

botticus said:
Can someone remind me where you find frogs? Just about running out for Gobul fishing.

Not sure why I keep trying, stupid game. :p Got him limping the last time but ran out of potions so I was pretty stuck.
Flooded Forest Area 2 near the exit.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Do event quests come back eventually or they're 1 time only? Cause i felt like completing single player before multi... but there's so many damn items poping up from event quests. Just want to make sure i'll get a shot again.

Top Bottom