• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

blackflag

Well, I beat Rathalos on my first try....not to proud of myself since it took 18 mega potions, 10 potions, and an ancient potion.

I still fainted 2 times and when he started limping, I had no more cool drinks so my health was depleting in the hot areas. I ran to his area and laid a trap but he was flying all around and wouldn't get in it. Finally after my health went from full to 5% from the heat, with no potions left; he jumped in my trap and I captured him.

Do you get less rewards when you faint?

Kyoufu

blackflag said:
Well, I beat Rathalos on my first try....not to proud of myself since it took 18 mega potions, 10 potions, and an ancient potion.

I still fainted 2 times and when he started limping, I had no more cool drinks so my health was depleting in the hot areas. I ran to his area and laid a trap but he was flying all around and wouldn't get in it. Finally after my health went from full to 5% from the heat, with no potions left; he jumped in my trap and I captured him.

Do you get less rewards when you faint?

Just less money.

markatisu said:
What is the best thing to do in order to get Peco beaks? I need 1 beak, I have 2 but I cannot remember what Quest I used to get them (It was not a Qurupeco hunt)

I got a ton of beaks from breaking the beak in the hunt peco and 4 jaggi quests.

Saya

Do you get more quest rewards if you capture a monster instead of killing it (to make up for the 3x body carves)?

oracrest

Kyoufu said:
Great hunts Deacon & Mark. Got a few HR ups and finished my qurupeco armor set. :)

DeaconKnowledge said:
Great games Kyoufu and Mark, sorry for knocking you into the air so many times
except for that time you were dizzy and the Qurepeco was charging his flint.

markatisu said:
Great hunts with Deacon and crew, FiNALY got past HR8!!!

Good playing with you guys, if just for a little bit.

I was too tired to play last night and discovered this morning that the sandstorm was over :(.

Hi rank quests seem pretty tough. I tried a gathering quest and took out a great jaggi and fainted twice, mostly due to the scrub level minions taking more hits to kill and doing more damage to boot. It's dangerous to leave any of the minions alive while carving.

I also did a bug killing quest and I see a lot of that particular quest in my future since it was easy, it gave me access to the flooded swamp, and had carbolyte and bathycite.

I should probably first try farming for advanced armor spheres to see if I can live with the low rank armor, but I'm going to guess probably not. I'm already rusty on bosses like gobul :/

d0c_zaius

Lance Bone Path said:
I was too tired to play last night and discovered this morning that the sandstorm was over :(.

Hi rank quests seem pretty tough. I tried a gathering quest and took out a great jaggi and fainted twice, mostly due to the scrub level minions taking more hits to kill and doing more damage to boot. It's dangerous to leave any of the minions alive while carving.

I also did a bug killing quest and I see a lot of that particular quest in my future since it was easy, it gave me access to the flooded swamp, and had carbolyte and bathycite.

I should probably first try farming for advanced armor spheres to see if I can live with the low rank armor, but I'm going to guess probably not. I'm already rusty on bosses like gobul :/

i got to 31 last night, if you wanna try some high rank tonight

Oxx

Oh shit. I was struggling with the 3* Royal Ludroth quest and started running out of potions and time. I died twice as I got increasingly sloppy trying to kill it and my last death was with two minutes to go. Somehow I managed to sprint from the camp to that big flooded cave and was able to finish it off with 27 seconds remaining.

This game really does get the heart-rate going.

Ridley327

EmCeeGramr said:
Oh, Diablos is much easier once you get him to calm the fuck down with a pitfall and two tranq bombs.

We had the worst luck trying to snare him in a Shock Trap last night. He had the uncanny ability to dig and then leap over the trap every time. It was a real comedy of errors. :lol

botticus

Kyoufu said:
When do you get more farm felynes? I still have only one after clearing Gobul offline. :/
Weird, I got a second one sometime in the middle of the 3* quests (Gobul's next!). I suppose it might be related to the number of days that pass since that would vary for people depending on how often they venture into Moga Woods.

Kyoufu said:
When do you get more farm felynes? I still have only one after clearing Gobul offline. :/
Just keep completing offline missions.

BULLSHIT INDEX:

Barioth: Rather easy once you have a fire weapon and know to keep the fuck away when it's spinning around. Still, not very fun to fight.

Uraagan: Fighting it the first time, I was totally unprepared and just getting a feel for it. I kept attacking that chin (i'm stupid) and ended up thinking "OH HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!?" Then I prepared for it, stuck to attacking the legs, and holy shit what a push-over. Also, I laughed at "Uragaan's Trail."

Ceadeus: Hey, what's this switch do? Is it like a gun I can use? Oh, I see, I'm supposed to wait until he gets up here and... wait how long does this thing take before I can use it again!? Still broke off his stupid horn, will return later to finish it.

Then maybe after that and Agnaktor I'll finally get serious about online and move past HR7, since I have like 75 hours in this game now and maybe I should get a move-on.

Kyoufu

botticus said:
Weird, I got a second one sometime in the middle of the 3* quests (Gobul's next!). I suppose it might be related to the number of days that pass since that would vary for people depending on how often they venture into Moga Woods.

Nevermind. I cleared a random quest and another just appeared, yay.

JRPereira

EmCeeGramr said:
Oh, Diablos is much easier once you get him to calm the fuck down with a pitfall and two tranq bombs.

I've had to resort to getting in early masses of exhaust shots to keep him manageable. I think I might start peppering all monsters with exhaust shots early on.

Boney

Banned
Saya said:
Yes! A Rathian Plate finally dropped after 15+ runs. Now I just need some Wyvern Claws.
I hate you... been trying to get one for ages. And to my amusement, I found out you get 3% chance and 2% chance to get. WTF is that shit!

Saya

Boney said:
I hate you... been trying to get one for ages. And to my amusement, I found out you get 3% chance and 2% chance to get. WTF is that shit!

Are you killing Rathian online? With a group of 4 you can kill quite a lot of them in a relatively short time, just do the Royal Pain capture quest over and over again. Plus you get HR points too.

Dreavus

Ryuuga said:
Good lord it takes forever to get a fearsome maw form Gigginox. Welp, time for attempt #12....

This!

At first I was just casually looking for one while my friend got materials for his Gigginox armor. "Oh, one of my lances needs a fearsome maw to upgrade anyways, let's do it." It's not something I was dead set on making but it'd be a nice upgrade anyways.

It's been at LEAST 10+ attempts now, and in about half of those we smashed his face off. Still nothing.

slaughterking said:
The Jhen fight is really not fun enough to endure it one bazillion times just to obtain an apparently insanely rare earth dragon gem. :(
I got one after say my 7th try last night.

However my wife who wants his armor very badly had done him 30+ times and hasn't found one yet. Probably going to be helping her all of tonight too.

JRPereira

Dreavus said:
This!

At first I was just casually looking for one while my friend got materials for his Gigginox armor. "Oh, one of my lances needs a fearsome maw to upgrade anyways, let's do it." It's not something I was dead set on making but it'd be a nice upgrade anyways.

It's been at LEAST 10+ attempts now, and in about half of those we smashed his face off. Still nothing.

You sure you're hitting the right end? :D

Any particular weapon reccomendations for the FIRST time I fight gobul offline?

I've been using the lance non-stop but I believe gobul is weak against lightning or fire...except I don't have any low-end weapons with either of those elements.

Psychologically, I'm fine with fighting a dragon underwater, but for some reason, fighting a bastardized angler-puffer fish underwater raises my anxiety levels to unprecedented levels.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I got one after say my 7th try last night.

However my wife who wants his armor very badly had done him 30+ times and hasn't found one yet. Probably going to be helping her all of tonight too.
Yeah, that sounds like I could be your wife. :lol But seriously, it's really bad and I don't know if I will bother any more. There's not even anything particular I like about the amour.

botticus

bigdaddygamebot said:

I've been using the lance non-stop but I believe gobul is weak against lightning or fire...except I don't have any low-end weapons with either of those elements.
So far this is the only thing that annoys me. All the monsters have these elemental weaknesses, but you don't get any weapons to exploit them till you've practically beaten all the monsters (unless you need water from Ludroth). I was looking forward to the Qurupeco SnS for Fire versus the water guys since I hate that environment, but I need a Gigginox drop.

Granted you haven't needed to exploit those weaknesses to beat them, but what's the point otherwise?

Kyoufu

bigdaddygamebot said:

Psychologically, I'm fine with fighting a dragon underwater, but for some reason, fighting a bastardized angler-puffer fish underwater raises my anxiety levels to unprecedented levels.

I'm stuck with a water element lance and I managed to beat gobul comfortably.

JudgeN

bigdaddygamebot said:

Fire element hammer, fuck hammers work for everything.

JudgeN

markatisu said:
Thanks I will try that again, I guess I am not breaking the beak or something

Peco stands kind of tall so unless his bending down taunting its kind of hard to hit his beak. Try a lance and do upward stabs or get a good old hammer last hit of triple pound is a upward golf swing. Or just keep hammering his side till he falls over then for the triple pound on da beak.

botticus said:
So far this is the only thing that annoys me. All the monsters have these elemental weaknesses, but you don't get any weapons to exploit them till you've practically beaten all the monsters (unless you need water from Ludroth). I was looking forward to the Qurupeco SnS for Fire versus the water guys since I hate that environment, but I need a Gigginox drop.

Granted you haven't needed to exploit those weaknesses to beat them, but what's the point otherwise?

That's funny because that's EXACTLY what I did.

Qurupeco hatchet and shield. Upgrade into firey goodness and all I need is a mega demondrug.

Which means I need a pale extract...oh wait... o_O

I wasn't too concerned about exploiting weaknesses but gobul just bothers me on a primal level.

Kyoufu said:
I'm stuck with a water element lance and I managed to beat gobul comfortably.

I was wondering how effective/ineffective my spiral lance would be. Perhaps all is not lost. :)

JudgeN said:
Fire element hammer, fuck hammers work for everything.

I saw that fire hammers were available but I have no idea how to use them. Looks like I might have to broaden my skillset.

Kyoufu

bigdaddygamebot said:
I was wondering how effective/ineffective my spiral lance would be. Perhaps all is not lost. :)

Yeah offline so far is a joke even with a crappy spiral lance. Damn you green sharpness, damn you.

Boney

Banned
Saya said:
Are you killing Rathian online? With a group of 4 you can kill quite a lot of them in a relatively short time, just do the Royal Pain capture quest over and over again. Plus you get HR points too.
Agh I got it mixed up with Rathalos. Stupid names..
But seriously this is bullshit. It's just as bad as DoS's soul farming.
Hopping online.

Kyoufu said:
Yeah offline so far is a joke even with a crappy spiral lance. Damn you green sharpness, damn you.

I was wondering if the green sharpness was enough to offset the elemental incompatibility.

I've forgotten to use a different lance and went after royal ludroths with my spiral lance and I still seemed to beat the hell out of them.

markatisu

JudgeN said:
Peco stands kind of tall so unless his bending down taunting its kind of hard to hit his beak. Try a lance and do upward stabs or get a good old hammer last hit of triple pound is a upward golf swing. Or just keep hammering his side till he falls over then for the triple pound on da beak.

Thanks for the tips, maybe I will try a hammer. With the SnS I can get his beak when you knock him down.

Danielsan

Made it to HR31 today and got my first run in with Deviljho.
He 1 hit killed me with a full healthbar + 40% healthbonus from food and a full set of Jhen Mohran armour. Seriously wtf. :lol

JRPereira

Danielsan said:
He 1 hit killed me with a full healthbar + 40% healthbonus from food and a full set of Jhen Mohran armour. Seriously wtf. :lol

Holy crap lol. That sounds awesome. One day I'm going to solo one of those and it'll be glorious.

Danielsan said:

I can't WAIT to get destroyed by him.

I still remember my first time with a chameleos.

I lasted nine seconds.

Owzers

Barioth is a challenge for me to stay alive...the thing just jumps all over the place i can't get behind hit.

Also, is there any special way to get rustshards?

Danielsan said:

Does he just come up at any time?

I want to see him and die too.

dsister44

come on PAL gaf! recruiting wisdom 1 gate 40. now! :p

where did you go selenae? you came to the city then when i ended the quest you went offline?

Haunted

slaughterking said:
The Jhen fight is really not fun enough to endure it one bazillion times just to obtain an apparently insanely rare earth dragon gem. :(
Well, I thought it was fun even after I did it a lot. The drop rate on that gem is fucking bullshit, though.

Missing 1 plate for my Los set, missing one dragongem for my Jhen set. *cry*

EmCeeGramr said:
Barioth: Rather easy once you have a fire weapon and know to keep the fuck away when it's spinning around. Still, not very fun to fight.
Barioth is never easy for me alone, even with a good fire weapon. I'm just not getting those hits in. He's much much easier online imo, since you get a lot more attack opportunities when he goes after other players.

Top Bottom