• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Alex

Khezu? Khezu sucked! Theres one I dont miss. I hate his creepy scream and the fact that in terms of attack patterns, hes probably the easiest monster in the entire franchise.

Brazil said:
:lol

I agree.

They should just put all the Freedom Unite, Tri and Frontier monsters into Portable 3rd :(

I think they'd hit huge disc and download limitations with that one, that and they probably want you to buy a new game at some point in your life.

Kad5

Is it normal to switch armor based on what monster you fight or does everyone try to stick with the same armor set?

Alex

I never swapped armor much, later on it's just an insane climb to get a new set and I get lazy. In low ranks I might rock 2-3 sets, but in high I try to pick more universal things or things I can gem well.

I regem and swap weapons like mad though.

JRPereira

The khezu fight was a boring, frustrating exercise in patience. If he returns he needs to be done like a lightning-flinging version of gigginox.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Alex said:
I think they'd hit huge disc and download limitations with that one, that and they probably want you to buy a new game at some point in your life.
Yeah, I know. It's just a fan's dream :/

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any tricks against Diablos? This guy hurts a lot!! I'm guessing running away from him when he's enrage since he is way too fast to even attempt to attack him once, try to cut his tail as soon as possible becauses it's damn annoying. Is there any armor set that have good skills against him?

Alex

Bisnic said:
Is there any tricks against Diablos? This guy hurts a lot!! I'm guessing running away from him when he's enrage since he is way too fast to even attempt to attack him once, try to cut his tail as soon as possible becauses it's damn annoying. Is there any armor set that have good skills against him?

Sonic Bombs when he burrows (they won't work when he enrages though).

Shield based weaponry when you're learning him. You can block his burrow attacks and quick charges. Lance is especially good on him, same with bowguns, pellets rock his face.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I decided to fire up MHFU last night - it's difficult going back to the iffy camera control after using the Classic Controller on MH3. I'm being completely owned by the early Bulldrome mission :lol The roll on MH3 seems a lot more forgiving.

Ridley327

Awesome, awesome hunts, guys. I could not stop laughing when Barioth dive-bombed right into the pitfall for us to cap him. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Alex

Yeah, I feel a little spoiled using second stick camera currently. I hope the new handhelds have two sticks.

We jumped right back onto a Teostra in MHFU after Tri and just got eviscerated.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wis1/40/6 if anybody wants to hunt Rathian, Rathalos, Lagiacrus, or (to mix it up) Baggi or anything Volcano, join up.

Bisnic

Alex said:
Sonic Bombs when he burrows (they won't work when he enrages though).

Shield based weaponry when you're learning him. You can block his burrow attacks and quick charges. Lance is especially good on him, same with bowguns, pellets rock his face.

I tried to use a Sonic Bomb when he burrows, it's a subquest after all, but it never worked. Do i have to use it when it's already underground or when he actually burrows?

Alex

Throw it when he just submerges. It will not work if he is enraged though. I abuse Sonic's on Diablos, because he is an annoying dude and it's funny to watch him suffer the stunlocks between Sonic bombs and multiple Gobuluka Muraakas

Hiltz

I haven't made many armor sets.

Started out making the Great Jaggi set and then switched to the Rhenepolos set for a brief time. Then used Barroth set for the majority of my playtime until just recently switching to the Rathian set.I'll be making Ignot set next.

Only have some pieces for the Ludroth, Gobul, and Gigginox sets.

Boney

Banned
Huh the game glitched out on me. Tried to warp to a friend's city and it send me back to the town square and only let me move. And messages kept coming in but i couldn't see them.

Coming Nick!

Nicktals

Banned
Boney said:
Huh the game glitched out on me. Tried to warp to a friend's city and it send me back to the town square and only let me move. And messages kept coming in but i couldn't see them.

Coming Nick!

Here we go!

And I appreciate it! really wanted to make high rank tonight. Let's see how it goes!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My first time fighting Rathalos, Kaien somehow managed to chop the tail off with a lance.

carve....

PLATE.

That would be...

Plate from Lagiacrus = first try
Plate from Rathalos = first try
Plate from Rathian = 4 kills and 24 captures

Wtf what a game :lol

Luigiv

julls said:
I decided to fire up MHFU last night - it's difficult going back to the iffy camera control after using the Classic Controller on MH3. I'm being completely owned by the early Bulldrome mission :lol The roll on MH3 seems a lot more forgiving.
I'm fine with the camera, What get's me is pressing X to select and O to cancel. How the hell did that even become the standard in first place?

Well I'll probably to head back into FU soon. So close to finishing the Nekoht quests and I still want to fight a Fatalis (Unfortunately, not likely to happen as I refuse to solo guild missions, setting up adhoc party is a pain and the friend I managed to convince buy FU has barely played it).

Kyoufu

Gamer @ Heart said:
The roll is the same, but the hit boxes for monsters seem to be way more tight. There are times when my mind prepares to be hit, only for the monster to charge past me.

Plesioth hip check....... so delicious

3* Online question, i did the
Powder Burns
quest, and I was going to run through again for the Z's, but it's disappeared from my quest list. Not marked as done, just completely gone. is this supposed to happen/hasn't happened to anybody else??

find it a bit weird

Ridley327

Mr_Appleby said:
3* Online question, i did the
Powder Burns
quest, and I was going to run through again for the Z's, but it's disappeared from my quest list. Not marked as done, just completely gone. is this supposed to happen/hasn't happened to anybody else??

find it a bit weird

Quests will cycle online every time you complete one, so don't get worried when it doesn't show up.

Luigiv

Gamer @ Heart said:
The roll is the same, but the hit boxes for monsters seem to be way more tight. There are times when my mind prepares to be hit, only for the monster to charge past me.
Yes it appears the monsters hit boxes are mapped practically 1:1 with their geometry now. Always a nice thing to have.

Ridley327 said:
Quests will cycle online every time you complete one, so don't get worried when it doesn't show up.

ahhh cool, it's possible this is the first time i've tried to do something twice in a row. cheers

PusherT

We just got done doing a Jhen quest I feel bad for him canon ball to face what painful way to die, Kyoufu got gem too. Go in peace Jhen Mohran:D

evangd007

I Push Fat Kids said:
Any advice for taking down Rathian solo?

Bring antidotes. Learn the tells (ground and air) for the backflip tail whip so you don't have to use them. That is her most devastating move.

Bring Dung Bombs. If she pins you make her eat shit.

Just beat the Ceadeus. I almost felt bad having to injure such a majestic creature.

Bisnic

How much health does this fucking Diablos have? I couldnt make it to the time limit without even seeing him limp. I cutted his tail, his 2 horns, attacked him again & again, and still couldnt kill it. Running away from him because he enrages so much is also a huge waste of time.

I want my 50 mins back.

Kyoufu

PusherT said:
We just got done doing a Jhen quest I feel bad for him canon ball to face what painful way to die, Kyoufu got gem too. Go in peace Jhen Mohran:D

Had a fun time. thanks for playing, daevus too.

I'm HR30 now with the urgent available. :D

Dreavus

PusherT said:

Haha, that was a very close kill. I was just checking how much time we had left and it was around >20 seconds when the last shot hit him. I would have been happy with a repel but a kill is always better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sweet! Had the ability to forge the gun I wanted from Lagi stuff without even realizing it! So different from this armor I just finally forged.

Man... feeling kitted out is really satisfying.

tenchir

Currently clocked at 80 hours. I completed the Ludroth, Jaggi, Lagiacrus, Ingot, Hunter, and Rathalos armor set, half of them are completely upgraded. I got about 2-3 elemental version of each type of weapons, except for SnS, all of them upgraded as much as possible with offline mats. The only quests I have left is to hunt Agnk and repel Caedeus.

Okay. Just ran out and bought the game. Never played a MH in my life. Hope it lives up to the hype. Sounds like it should be a good time. Get to play it in a couple of hours.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Been farming the single player end game boss and trying to upgrade his sword. Pretty sure its the only water element long sword, which is just as bad as the ice element LS being so hard to get, but damn, why is it so hard to upgrade this sword to a decent level?

Such little variation when it comes to long swords, but is there really any other way to hunt? :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well then. I officially endorse the 2-bowgun 2-lance team as completely badass. Captured (Advanced) Agnatakor in style :)

LOVING the Thundercrus Light (there's no frame, just used the light frame).

Hiltz

OJdaKiller said:
Okay. Just ran out and bought the game. Never played a MH in my life. Hope it lives up to the hype. Sounds like it should be a good time. Get to play it in a couple of hours.

Honestly, the first 3 or so hours are kind of boring as they basically serve as the game's tutorial. However, once you face the first boss monster, you'll finally get a taste of why the gameplay is fun and addictive. It's always refreshing to gain access to forging your next new weapons and armor sets too. Also, be quick to to take advantage of the farm since it will be so much easier and far more convenient to get the resources you need to use in the present and future as far as herbs,seeds, mushrooms and bug gathering goes.

The one thing I really like about Monster Hunter Tri is how the game replaces a level up system with a rewarding sense of player skill. The more you fight monsters then the more easily you will be able to recognize their types of attacks and behavior so you'll know when there's a good opportunity to attack, use an item and when it is necessary to roll or run away.

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
That would be...

Plate from Lagiacrus = first try
Plate from Rathalos = first try
Plate from Rathian = 4 kills and 24 captures

Wtf what a game :lol
Plates are easy, wait till Rubies:lol

Diffense

OJdaKiller said:

I was in the same boat a few days ago.
FWIW, I don't regret getting the game.
In fact, it's one of my best purchases for Wii and I'm barely into it.

Luigiv

Bisnic said:
How much health does this fucking Diablos have? I couldnt make it to the time limit without even seeing him limp. I cutted his tail, his 2 horns, attacked him again & again, and still couldnt kill it. Running away from him because he enrages so much is also a huge waste of time.

I want my 50 mins back.
Somewhere between 3000 and 4500 HP apparently (scroll down to monster health).

Top Bottom