• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

I feel really sad about the stupid blood sport event quest. I've consistently fainted at least once every time I've gone, which indicates that i'm not skillful enough to be doing that quest with the armor set I'm using (low rank hunter set, haha).

On the other hand, I'm already high rank and the thought of making and upgrading a new low rank armor set kills me a little when that set won't be doing me a great deal of good when I inevitably toss it aside for the high rank armor set that I'll eventually create.

I also want to upgrade my weapons. So, anyone want to farm high rank qurupecos and gobuls tonight? -__-

Niblet

Lance Bone Path said:
I feel really sad about the stupid blood sport event quest. I've consistently fainted at least once every time I've gone, which indicates that i'm not skillful enough to be doing that quest with the armor set I'm using (low rank hunter set, haha).

On the other hand, I'm already high rank and the thought of making and upgrading a new low rank armor set kills me a little when that set won't be doing me a great deal of good when I inevitably toss it aside for the high rank armor set that I'll eventually create.

I also want to upgrade my weapons. So, anyone want to farm high rank qurupecos and gobuls tonight? -__-

I need Gobul+ so lets do this (we played last night; my character is Mya).

In the meantime I will be fiddling with bowgun. Teaming up with Kaiser to take down Rathian+ got me all excited to replicate the bowgun awesomeness.

oracrest

Niblet said:

In the meantime I will be fiddling with bowgun. Teaming up with Kaiser to take down Rathian+ got me all excited to replicate the bowgun awesomeness.

So that was you in all those Urgents we did last night.

I got more than enough plans from all those missions to get the lance and upgrade.

oracrest said:

I got more than enough plans from all those missions to get the lance and upgrade.
I need 6 more plans for the lance upgrade. -______-

It seems like that quest would be easier if there was something more coordinated than "let's attack both of them and hope we survive when they inevitably rage at the same time".

I would suggest something like keeping the diablos flashed until the ura is dealt with, but I'm not sure that this kei.ka.ku would work since maybe diablos would eventually rage anyway if we keep flashing it.

Someone who has never played a MH game I youtube'd up some gameplay for this version, have to say it looks great and gives me a huge PSO vibe of running around among monsters. For what I saw it was single player action but I can guess with 4 people against the harder boss monsters would be a joy to play.

Lance Bone Path said:

Don't feel bad, I followed a trio of people in there with the warning that I'd never fought either monster before. I spent the whole fight running around like crazy trying not to get trampled. I did die once (we lost the event but at least it wasn't due solely to me). I only managed to slash at Diablos a few times and I foraged life powder to heal everyone just to do something useful. It was a crazy event and does not make me look forward to facing Diablos solo.

Is there any difference between the high rank armour I get through upgrading my low rank armour with +mats and the same high rank armour I just forge from scratch?

explodet

Diablohead said:
a huge PSO vibe
I felt the same vibe when I picked it up. The different weapon playstyles, hopping online and grouping up with others, running around trying to get better loot so you can do it all over again. After playing a handful of MMOs, playing a game with a lesser grind is pretty nice.

I've been throwing around the idea of starting a support gunner, but man the cost of another set of armor and the gun parts, it takes quite an investment of money. Solo play it's so much easier to mix it up with a melee weapon than lug around a gun and have to reload while jaggis are munching on you.

EDIT: And I know I'm late to the party on this, but I just discovered the Ironbeard promos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTheDJt8kIY
They're hilarious.

selig

Banned
Niblet said:

Hey, could you tell me where you get Gobul+ stuff? :D I want to upgrade my Azu Dahaki+

Also, did the "Bring 3 fire stones"-quest online, what a pain in the ass, haha.

selig said:
Hey, could you tell me where you get Gobul+ stuff? :D I want to upgrade my Azu Dahaki+

Also, did the "Bring 3 fire stones"-quest online, what a pain in the ass, haha.
You can get gobul+ material from any HR31+ gobul quest.

explodet

thundr51 said:
Just curious, I'm thinking of picking this up but I still have my homebrew channel installed. Can I still play this online?
I've been using GeckoOS in HBC to boot my MH3 disc. So far so good, no issues yet, I play online all the time.

I would have tried to install it to an HDD and use a USB loader, but I wanted to use wii speak and my current setup didn't allow for that, and I wanted to play right away instead of having to deal with more modding.

Got my eyes on Lagi armor but I absolutely hate fighting him =( even online with other people. So far, when it comes to online, I've died to him and Uragaan... but only once each heh.

markatisu

explodet said:
I've been using GeckoOS in HBC to boot my MH3 disc. So far so good, no issues yet, I play online all the time.

Same here, I am using Gecko 1.9.3 to avoid updates and have clocked in about 20hrs online to get to HR12 and over 50hrs in the game itself.

oracrest

Lance Bone Path said:
I need 6 more plans for the lance upgrade. -______-

It seems like that quest would be easier if there was something more coordinated than "let's attack both of them and hope we survive when they inevitably rage at the same time".

I would suggest something like keeping the diablos flashed until the ura is dealt with, but I'm not sure that this kei.ka.ku would work since maybe diablos would eventually rage anyway if we keep flashing it.

Yeah, you can plan so much, but when any one of them falls into a trap, you might as well wail on that one while you can. It seemed like no matter which one we decided on, the trapping itself was too random to stick to the plan utterly.

explodet said:
I felt the same vibe when I picked it up. The different weapon playstyles, hopping online and grouping up with others, running around trying to get better loot so you can do it all over again. After playing a handful of MMOs, playing a game with a lesser grind is pretty nice.

I've been throwing around the idea of starting a support gunner, but man the cost of another set of armor and the gun parts, it takes quite an investment of money. Solo play it's so much easier to mix it up with a melee weapon than lug around a gun and have to reload while jaggis are munching on you.

EDIT: And I know I'm late to the party on this, but I just discovered the Ironbeard promos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTheDJt8kIY
They're hilarious.
So good, going to beg for my cousin to buy this for his wii :lol

Is online play pay2play or is it free?

Hiltz

I'm not looking forward to facing Lagiacrus again in attempt to obtain his armor set even though it looks so cool.

Anyway, I finally got the complete Rathian armor set today. Got lucky with a tail carving which finally obtained a rathian plate from. Acquired +10 heat resistance, +20 health, and ear plugs. However, I'll have to negate the Demon Blessing skill that comes attached to the set.

Leezard

Hiltz said:
I'm not looking forward to facing Lagiacrus again in attempt to obtain his armor set even though it looks so cool.

Anyway, I finally got the complete Rathian armor set today. Got lucky with a tail carving which finally obtained a rathian plate from. Acquired +10 heat resistance, +20 health, and ear plugs. However, I'll have to negate the Demon Blessing skill that comes attached to the set.
I really recommend using an Ingot set when fighting Lagicacrus. You can mine all the materials, and his lightning attacks will barely deal damage to you. Add that up with a fire weapon (Peco flint!) and he's much less of a bitch to deal with.

I skipped his armor set though, I felt satisfacted with getting an Acrus Spear. :lol

slaughterking said:
Is there any difference between the high rank armour I get through upgrading my low rank armour with +mats and the same high rank armour I just forge from scratch?
Alright, I did some research and see how the wind blows. Upgrading low rank armor with +mats brings the defense on par with the corresponding high level armour, but it will leave the skills untouched -- so there's basically a trade off between saving some mats and missing out on better skills.

PusherT

Does dung bomb have the same effect as exhulst shot? Lower the monster stamina down aswell? Exhulst shot is dung+ casing so it would make sense? I always try to slow em down right when they start raging it makes diablos and Barioth much more managible

Niblet

slaughterking said:
Already answered, but you keep skills AND slots. + armor will have more slots than the older stuff.

Kad5 said:
Is it better to mix and match armor or to get a full armor set?
Neither. The armor you use will be based almost entirely on the armor skills you want. You may end up with either a complete set or a mixed set depending on what skills you want.

oracrest said:

Ooooh who were you? How was my performance? I'm always looking to improve. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
john tv said:
just need a few wyvern claws and a Rathian plate (oh, and maybe one more spike).

Enjoy your next 8 hours of playtime :lol

PusherT said:
Does dung bomb have the same effect as exhulst shot? Lower the monster stamina down aswell? Exhulst shot is dung+ casing so it would make sense? I always try to slow em down right when they start raging it makes diablos and Barioth much more managible

I don't think they do have the same effect. Dung bomb makes a monster flee to another area, but not all the time. I don't think it lowers stamina.

Hiltz

Leezard said:
I really recommend using an Ingot set when fighting Lagicacrus. You can mine all the materials, and his lightning attacks will barely deal damage to you. Add that up with a fire weapon (Peco flint!) and he's much less of a bitch to deal with.

I skipped his armor set though, I felt satisfacted with getting an Acrus Spear. :lol

I'll probably go ahead and make the Ignot armor set as well as the Peco Flint especially since I have most of the materials needed to forge them. Thanks for the tips.

Anyone know what the Pirate Booty item does, if anything ?

oracrest

Niblet said:
Ooooh who were you? How was my performance? I'm always looking to improve. :D

my MH name is "Aegryn"

honestly, If you weren't dieing, I would say you did good. I could only keep track of myself, and the two monsters during that quest. :) The battle is pretty intense.

My one protip that helps me out a lot is that you can roll (with weapon drawn) into a tail sweep, and if your timing is good, you won't get hit. The drawn weapon roll has a period of invulnerability, but it's a fraction of what the "oh shit jump" gives you.

Dreavus

Hiltz said:
I'll probably go ahead and make the Ignot armor set as well as the Peco Flint especially since I have most of the materials needed to forge them. Thanks for the tips.

Anyone know what the Pirate Booty item does, if anything ?

You sell it for an absurd amount of zenny. :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Well, looks like today's gonna be all about farming high rank Uragaan again. Only two pieces away from having the full Uragaan+ armor set. Kinda annoying that it needs Agnaktor materials too. Was amazingly lucky yesterday, though, and got THREE Uragaan Rubies. :D

Kyoufu

Duress said:
Finally got a Ratholos plate. This fight takes me forever to finish. :(

He spends too much time flying, so either cheese it with flash bombs/traps or cheese it with a bowgun (and if you like extra cheese, flashbombs and traps lol).

Mardak

Kyoufu said:
He spends too much time flying, so either cheese it with flash bombs/traps
You can always knock it down -> knocked over if you hit it a few times while it's hovering. It's always satisfying to not only bring it down but also wail on it as it squirms. I find it easiest with the longsword X attack.

I'm pretty seriously thinking about picking this game up. I've never played a Monster Hunter game before.

What's the best way to start playing? I mean, do I jump online to start, start offline, can the game be fun and/or challenging offline, or is meant to be played online? It sounds a bit like WoW from what I hear. Am I way off on this comparison? Anything else that would be helpful to a first time player? Any help answering these questions will be appreciated. Thanks.

sfried

Uragaan. His chin. My face.

Is his rolling insta-kill or am I just not there yet? Need to farm advanced armor spheres.

On the side note, thanks to whoever gave my those wyvern claws and fangs. Lovin' my new Wyvern Jawblade.

Edit: And Soneet, can you please correct my forum name on the notifier? My MH name is Adeleine.

mclem

OJdaKiller said:
What's the best way to start playing? I mean, do I jump online to start, start offline, can the game be fun and/or challenging offline, or is meant to be played online? It sounds a bit like WoW from what I hear. Am I way off on this comparison? Anything else that would be helpful to a first time player? Any help answering these questions will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd say you should start offline - the early tutorials are pretty good, while online leaves you floundering a bit. I personally played offline up to capturing the Great Jaggi (the first 'boss'), but you almost certainly can head online sooner than that.

gotee12

I've fought Rathian several times in the offline 4* quest "Dragon Lady" and you know what I just noticed? The offline blacksmith doesn't show that Rathian Vambraces are available to me. All the other Rathian armor pieces are there but no Vambraces. I'll have to try online to see if they're available there...

p.s. - I'm not referring to whether or not I have the mats for the vambraces, it just literally doesn't show up at all. Odd...

Edit: Rathian Vambraces do not show up at all at the city blacksmith (online) either but all other Rathian armor parts do. Bug?

mclem said:
I'd say you should start offline - the early tutorials are pretty good, while online leaves you floundering a bit. I personally played offline up to capturing the Great Jaggi (the first 'boss'), but you almost certainly can head online sooner than that.

So, in your opinion, how many hours of gameplay are there in MH3? Is there an end to the game or is it more about grinding for gear? Also, is the online community pretty active at this point, and do you think it will continue that way into the future or will the game be a ghost town in say 2 months?

evangd007

gotee12 said:
I've fought Rathian several times in the offline 4* quest "Dragon Lady" and you know what I just noticed? The offline blacksmith doesn't show that Rathian Vambraces are available to me. All the other Rathian armor pieces are there but no Vambraces. I'll have to try online to see if they're available there...

p.s. - I'm not referring to whether or not I have the mats for the vambraces, it just literally doesn't show up at all. Odd...

Edit: Rathian Vambraces do not show up at all at the city blacksmith (online) either but all other Rathian armor parts do. Bug?

Certain pieces don't show up until you get some random "critical material" that the piece is made with (I didn't get Gobul bracers until I got a Whisker). If memory serves, for Rathian Vambraces that's the plate.

mclem

OJdaKiller said:
So, in your opinion, how many hours of gameplay are there in MH3?

I'm really not qualified to answer this, other than to say I've put 50 hours in and I've barely scratched the surface.

gotee12

evangd007 said:
Certain pieces don't show up until you get some random "critical material" that the piece is made with (I didn't get Gobul bracers until I got a Whisker). If memory serves, for Rathian Vambraces that's the plate.
Thanx man! If that's the case, I'll see the Vambraces show up in 20 or so more hours. :lol

Nicktals

Banned
OJdaKiller said:
So, in your opinion, how many hours of gameplay are there in MH3? Is there an end to the game or is it more about grinding for gear? Also, is the online community pretty active at this point, and do you think it will continue that way into the future or will the game be a ghost town in say 2 months?

I've put in 100+ and I'm not even "high rank" online yet (HR31 and over). I'm reasonably guessing that I'll end at somewhere close to 300 hours, assuming I don't completely burn myself out.

Ridley327

MH1 on the PS2 had a pretty active community up until they shut the servers down, while Ad-hoc Party on the PS3 is largely dominated with MHF* rooms. I don't think there's really any worry that you'll be able to find people to play with months down the road.

sfried said:
Uragaan. His chin. My face.

Is his rolling insta-kill or am I just not there yet? Need to farm advanced armor spheres.

On the side note, thanks to whoever gave my those wyvern claws and fangs. Lovin' my new Wyvern Jawblade.

Edit: And Soneet, can you please correct my forum name on the notifier? My MH name is Adeleine.

you owe me 50 fangs and 38 claws :p

Top Bottom