• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Poyunch

Hawkian said:
I'm totally behind too and about to take a week off while my girl visits! Let's join up!
Haha maybe. These next two weeks are my final weeks of the year. It's time for me to be pounded with finals and major projects due.

Hiltz said:
Honestly, the first 3 or so hours are kind of boring as they basically serve as the game's tutorial. However, once you face the first boss monster, you'll finally get a taste of why the gameplay is fun and addictive. It's always refreshing to gain access to forging your next new weapons and armor sets too. Also, be quick to to take advantage of the farm since it will be so much easier and far more convenient to get the resources you need to use in the present and future as far as herbs,seeds, mushrooms and bug gathering goes.

The one thing I really like about Monster Hunter Tri is how the game replaces a level up system with a rewarding sense of player skill. The more you fight monsters then the more easily you will be able to recognize their types of attacks and behavior so you'll know when there's a good opportunity to attack, use an item and when it is necessary to roll or run away.

Cool. I think after reading the intro guide here I'll start with the SNS as it's recommended for beginners plus you can block. The lance looks kind of cool too, but seems like it might take some skill to use.

MightyKAC

Okay, so its been about 2 weeks give or take since Tri was released in the states. Have they posted any solid sales figures on it yet?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
I finally have time to get back on and play only to find out everyone on my friend's list is at HR 30 or above. Hell some or at 70. This is disheartening and makes it harder to continue on. Why? I'm still at HR 11 :lol

Damn NeoGAF, wantcha slow down just a bit for me?

markatisu

MightyKAC said:
Okay, so its been about 2 weeks give or take since Tri was released in the states. Have they posted any solid sales figures on it yet?

No numbers yet for US, unless it shows up in the NPD this week

Boney

Banned
Hawkian said:
My first time fighting Rathalos, Kaien somehow managed to chop the tail off with a lance.

carve....

PLATE.

That would be...

Plate from Lagiacrus = first try
Plate from Rathalos = first try
Plate from Rathian = 4 kills and 24 captures

Wtf what a game :lol
You're the one I hate the most in this forum.

Tenbatsu said:
Plates are easy, wait till Rubies:lol
Actually no.. I hate you more
:(

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
OJdaKiller said:
Cool. I think after reading the intro guide here I'll start with the SNS as it's recommended for beginners plus you can block. The lance looks kind of cool too, but seems like it might take some skill to use.
I've actually avoided the SnS so far as it felt a bit 'hack n slash' for me - so I'm using the Hammer at the moment. Though from what I've read it's wise to branch out early on to get a feel for all of em...

Still getting the hang of the game. I actually printed out the 'combo list' from the Monster Hunter Wiki to refer to at home, so I'd know what to collect to create different items. It's been helpful. While I'm pretty horrible, I'm slowly fumbling through the quests. Just finished the Qurupeco mission in the LV3 village quests (after a few failed attempts!). Some of the discussion in this thread is horribly intimidating as a beginner.

dsister44 said:
hey selenae, how long are you on holiday for? cos I think the connection you have where you are at the moment is a bit rubbish. I could quest with other people fine but it wouldn't even let me warp to your city after a while :(
Yeah, sorry about that, it was annoying as hell. I'm out of town till saturday night.

dsister44 said:
did some quests with some other people and i'm now hr 21, plus i got the lagiacrus horn i needed for my new sword, now im all tooled up for our 3* questing:)

we weren't as good as us PAL gaffers are tho, everytime I put something to sleep they just wake the fucker up straight away. Also on a rathian quest in flooded forest, we chased it to area 5 and some guy with a switch axe hit me with an uppercut, sending me flying up into the air and off the edge off the waterfall
Welcome to the wonderful world of randoms!!

dsister44 said:
If you can't get a game in til after your holiday then i'll grind up to hr 27 as quick as i can so that I can help you with your urgent so we can eventually be high rank :D
The annoying thing is, it was working ok so far, a cple of disconnects in 2 days. Then last night, i just couldnt stay on for more than 10-20mins. I'll see how it goes, i'll let you know if things get better.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So I picked up a copy of MHTri and a classic controller pro. Everythings going great, loving the game, but I'm having trouble pulling off the x+a combination consistently on my controller. The game seems to think that I'm pressing x instead of x+a together and as a result, I can't pull off the a --> x+a --> a --> x+a combo consistently with the great sword. Instead, it goes like this a --> x+a --> a --> x even though I know I'm pressing x+a. Anyone else having this problem?

Arzehn

Jangaroo said:
So I picked up a copy of MHTri and a classic controller pro. Everythings going great, loving the game, but I'm having trouble pulling off the x+a combination consistently on my controller. The game seems to think that I'm pressing x instead of x+a together and as a result, I can't pull off the a --> x+a --> a --> x+a combo consistently with the great sword. Instead, it goes like this a --> x+a --> a --> x even though I know I'm pressing x+a. Anyone else having this problem?

I sorta have the same problem with the classic controller (original). For me, however, I fixed this by trying to be more accurate and press them at the exact same time by changing the way my thumb pushes down. After some practice I'm pretty consistent. I think it might be the games leniency rather than your controller.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Anomarad said:
I sorta have the same problem with the classic controller (original). For me, however, I fixed this by trying to be more accurate and press them at the exact same time by changing the way my thumb pushes down. After some practice I'm pretty consistent. I think it might be the games leniency rather than your controller.
It's weird, I never had this problem with MHU and MHF2. I'll try changing the way my thumb presses down though.

Luigiv

Jangaroo said:
It's weird, I never had this problem with MHU and MHF2. I'll try changing the way my thumb presses down though.
It's because the CC buttons are a little different yet the coding is more or less the same. You'll need to retrain yourself a bit, though the CCP is more similar to the PSP than the original CC.

Ogni-XR21

Anyone know of a good gif where I could extract some monster to swim in my fishbowl? I haven't found anything I could use.

I also thought about a hunter going after sushi (the fish) in the bowl... if all fails I would just place a MH related item in the middle of the bowl. Any suggestions?

Tenbatsu

I Push Fat Kids said:
Got D/C a couple times due to my shitty FIOS so sorry to the folks tonight.

Any tips for finishing Lagiacrus?
If you are having trouble fighting it underwater, tired it out using stamina depleting moves. Once it's on land it's more or less dead. Not applicable to arena mode thou.

Leezard

gotee12 said:
Thanx man! If that's the case, I'll see the Vambraces show up in 20 or so more hours. :lol
It should be a Rathian Spike, not a plate. I believe Spikes are ingredients for making the vambraces, while the Plate is only for the chest.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I decided to play offline for a while, just to harvest some Honey.

Several hours later I'm still at it, working on getting all sorts of stuff. Mostly rare goods from Captain Keikaku. Also upgrading my hunting boats and whatnot. Love MH so much. :lol

(Also damn it feels good to be able to take out a Great Jaggi in under a minute now. :D )

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh, I think i'm almost done with Single-Player! :D Brought down Barioth and Rathalos first try with my new Ancient Blade (Great Sword). Had previously been going through the game with Hammers, but I was failing miserably against Barioth. Sword made a hell of a difference!

Can't wait for Ceadeus!

gkryhewy

What kinda sucks is that offline play has no bearing on HR. I've done most of my playing offline, and so I'm only HR4... got left behind on a quest last night as a result.

Alex

Ugh, there are more than a few legitimately awful people who have leeched their way to the higher ranks. Really back pick up members today.

gkrykewy said:
What kinda sucks is that offline play has no bearing on HR. I've done most of my playing offline, and so I'm only HR4... got left behind on a quest last night as a result.

Except the gear that you're going in with, which can be a pretty big deal.

Haunted

I think I need to take a break from this game, if I'm not done altogether.

New Game+ [HR31 and onwards] is de-emphasising everything I loved about the first
ninety
hours I spent with Tri - constantly meeting new monster bosses, learning their patterns, seeing new and distinctive armour sets pop up in the workshop, exploring new maps and locations - and it emphasises the parts I did not like as much: the dependancy on super rare drops, upping the farming and grinding aspects in general. Add to that the fact that it's not possible to advance offline anymore, and the motivation to continue on is low.

That said, I got more out of Tri than any other game this year, and played it for much longer as well (about 50 hours more than FFXIII :lol). Was greatly entertained throughout, with some epic and classic moments in between. I feel beating Seadeus offline and Jhen Moran online make for pretty good finishing points as well. :D

This is a fantastic game. Very very strong contender for GOTY, and I'll definitely pick up the next console installment.

edit: at this point, I can still see myself playing lower-level stuff, helping people to complete 1*/2*/3* quests, which is still totally fun to do.

markatisu

Alex said:
Ugh, there are more than a few legitimately awful people who have leeched their way to the higher ranks. Really back pick up members today.

I have been in quests where the person stands off to the side for the entire thing, almost as if they are watching the battle unfold. Those people suck!

Now I just need to find some people to help me on 2* quests, its like everyone I run into is either 1* or 3*. The 1* don't mind but cannot help me much and the 3* are too interested in obtaining higher stuff :lol

gkryhewy

bigdaddygamebot said:
Except the gear that you're going in with, which can be a pretty big deal.

That's the problem. I have the gear from my offline quests, but can't join the decent online quests until I complete more shitty online quests that are beneath me :lol

Tenbatsu

Haunted said:
That said, I got more out of Tri than any other game this year, and played it for much longer as well (about 50 hours more than FFXIII :lol). Was greatly entertained throughout, with some epic and classic moments in between. I feel beating Seadeus offline and Jhen Moran online make for pretty good finishing points as well. :D
Have you fought Deviljho or Alatreon? They are online exclusive only. If possible, at least fight Deviljho then call it quits.

Lenardo

Banned
i'm going slow, have about 25hrs in , MH noob here, but i sucked at great sword and am rocking at SnS(commanders dagger) but want switch axe-i did good with that in the demo- (coming as soon as the boat shows up again) i tend to go out- with 10 pots and ~10 mega's (i am on the 3* offline quests) have all but the chest for jaggi armor(need the frill which is only avail online) i'm at the point where i need under 4 potions to beat a great jaggi... going to dip my toes online this week.

my son(he is 8) offline goes out with ZERO potions ZERO herbs and just uses what is in the supply box. he was using the hammer and just made the switch to switch axe.

depending on the wife tonite- she goes to bed early = mh3 not going to bed early = world of warcraft time (we play together- beats watching tv)

Haunted

Tenbatsu said:
Have you fought Deviljho or Alatreon? They are online exclusive only. If possible, at least fight Deviljho then call it quits.
Those are the two bosses I haven't seen yet. But as I said, I'm not sure if I want to spend the hours needed to get to the 5* quests (which is where Deviljho appears first, I think?).

Pretty burnt out on advancing atm, tbh.

edit: ah, while I'm here: I totally wanted to upgrade my beloved Jaggi Mask to lvl9, but along with some Jaggi Hides+ (which I have), I need one more head (who could've expected that!). Since the 4 Jaggi event mission is over, am I fucked? :(

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Due to time constraints, I'm barely started compared to most of you. I just finished up the 1* stuff last night, and did the first Urgent Quest, which was fun. I'm pretty much a newb, so got a few questions:

1) I've read previously in this thread that sticking with a full set of armor is best. I have purchase/forged a full Hunter's set, but now I'm seeing pieces of RARE-2 stuff, like Jaggi Vambraces, and such, that I could create. Would it hurt to perhaps forgo the full Hunter set in order to wear a piece or two of the purple armor sets?

2) I've been sticking with sword n' shield so far. I upgraded it to Hunter's Knife+, and then to Soldier's Dagger. It seems to work well with what I'm killing. Is there a particular upgrade path I should take over another? I see a new upgrade now for a Ludroth Nail, but don't know if I should jump to that.

Alex

The high rank stuff is always the meat of the game to me. Harder, better skills, more to accomplish, but in retrospect they threw too much of Gen 1/2 out. I don't think a reboot of the size they went to was really needed.

I wonder if they're going to do a 3G for Wii and if they do if they'd bother to offer it in the US, or if that's all just going into Freedom 3, which showed off a bunch of new content already (as well as a bunch of restored content from gen 1/2)

markatisu

Haunted said:
edit: ah, while I'm here: I totally wanted to upgrade my beloved Jaggi Mask to lvl9, but along with some Jaggi Hides+ (which I have), I need one more head (who could've expected that!). Since the 4 Jaggi event mission is over, am I fucked? :(

I asked that question yesterday and was told the event should be back, I need 1 more head so I feel your pain

Haunted

Diseased Yak said:
Due to time constraints, I'm barely started compared to most of you. I just finished up the 1* stuff last night, and did the first Urgent Quest, which was fun. I'm pretty much a newb, so got a few questions:

1) I've read previously in this thread that sticking with a full set of armor is best. I have purchase/forged a full Hunter's set, but now I'm seeing pieces of RARE-2 stuff, like Jaggi Vambraces, and such, that I could create. Would it hurt to perhaps forgo the full Hunter set in order to wear a piece or two of the purple armor sets?
Armour combination is one of the most interesting aspects of Tri to me. Basically, there are three major elements you should have an eye on when choosing armour.

- skill bonuses - most important, imo.
- overall defense stat - important, becomes very important if really low/high
- elemental defenses - not that important, but very useful to keep an eye on

A full set usually gives you 3-4 skill bonuses, the Hunter set gives you Autotracker and BBQ Expert I think. Now, your overall defense stat will go up if you go mix one or two Rare2 armour pieces in there, but in exchange you'll probably lose your skill bonuses (since the advanced armour pieces will contribute points to different skills). You have to decide which is more important to you atm. If you are getting killed too quickly because of low defense, it would be good to get some advanced armour in there to buff you up. If you have no problems with this so far, it's probably better to keep your skills. I still use the Rare1 Leather armour pretty often, because it has the perfect skill set for mining/gathering runs. It has pitifully low defense, but when doing mining/gathering runs, I'm trying to avoid fighting anyway.

One of the most important tenets of Monster Hunter Tri for me is to choose the right equipment for the right job.

Now those are just the basics. There's an advanced part to the armour system, which lets you combine different parts of armour with the skill bonuses through the use of jewels and charms. This should just become viable at the point you are in the game. Tenbatsu is the resident expert for charms and armour mixing, though. :)

markatisu said:
I asked that question yesterday and was told the event should be back, I need 1 more head so I feel your pain
Ah, thanks. Still was a rather frustrating moment yesterday. :/

edit: oh God, I'm totally falling into the "I'll just do this one quest..." trap, aren't I? >_< :lol

Tenbatsu

Alex said:
I wonder if they're going to do a 3G for Wii and if they do if they'd bother to offer it in the US, or if that's all just going into Freedom 3, which showed off a bunch of new content already (as well as a bunch of restored content from gen 1/2)
Capcom 2011 Sales Target
PlayStation 3 - 16 titles/6 million pieces of software sold.
PSP - 19 titles/5 million units
Xbox 360 - 12 titles/4.8 million units
DS - 16 titles/1.7 million units
Wii - 6 titles/1.6 million units

6 titles for Wii and they expect 1.6 million in sales. One of them got to be MH3G.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Thanks Haunted, that makes sense. I'll start looking at the bonuses and such and go from there. This game is pretty daunting for a newcomer! I'm slowly getting it though.

Also, nearly shit my pants last night when that Lagacrius (or however it's spelled) came swimming at me during one quest. But then I REALLY shit my pants when it followed me into the next zone WTF!! :lol My heart was pounding by the time I made it to shore, Jesus Christ, what a way to throw a large boss monster at ya! Loved it!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Jtv and I are going to be on in about 15 minutes or so, anyone down for some rathian plate runs?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Fairly afraid to estimate how much time I put into MH3 today. "Oh, I just need to harvest a bit of Honey for Mega Potions..."

SEVERAL HOURS LATER

"Well, now I've got 300,000z and more materials than I'll ever need. Think I can stop now..."

Damn this game. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dangit. I turned the Wii back on just to join up with you guys.

Get to the City, room says 3/4. I click join, BOOM, four people. Damn.

Oh well, maybe next time. I probably would have made it too easy anyway. HR43, 1032 ATK. :lol

Oxx

Just encountered Barroth for the first time. Didn't last long.

Is it time to retire the S&S and go for something more powerful?

Top Bottom