• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

selig

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
Monster Hunter won't make to the Top 10:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Wii Sports Resort
Just Dance
Wii Fit Plus
God of War
Pokémon Heart
Pokémon Silver
Super Street Fighter PS3
Super Street Fighter 360
Final Fantasy PS3
Battlefield 360

See? :'(

Just to be prepared for NPD today: What did previous home console-MH-games sell? First month and LTD would be nice.

ShinNL

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Actually that is something I've always been confused about in the MH series.

Take a dragon monster like Deviljo. Are ALL his attacks of dragon element or just his breath attack?

I ask because I've always thought things like "who cares if I have -30 fire res, Rathalos never hits me with fireballs anyways" and therefore considered most elemental resistances near-useless.
All attacks are of their type. The effects are pretty dramatic even in small numbers. You're usually better off wearing an anti-res than wearing the highest defense armor.

If you have res+10 charms, you can also wear those when fighting certain monsters.

I don't know all the types in this game though. Tigrex in MHFU was a raw type, so you can't wear an anti-res set against it's attacks.

Luigiv

selig said:
Just to be prepared for NPD today: What did previous home console-MH-games sell? First month and LTD would be nice.
What in the US?

First month: rubbish
LTD: slightly less rubbish

Anecdotal evidence suggests Tri is probably going to exceed previous games by a decent margin, but don't expect any sort of huge sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
selig said:

Word from reliable posters with access to data is that the LTD never got above 150K or so for any previous games.

Remfin said:
And while we're on the subject, is there even an Iceblight attack in the game? Barioth's tailwhip is Waterblight.
There's a snowball attack so having iceblight as well might be overkill.

schuelma said:
Word from reliable posters with access to data is that the LTD never got above 150K or so for any previous games.
I'd be surprised if it breaks 150K. I think the PS2 might have had demographics more receptive to a Monster Hunter title and that's probably going to balance out against a much better ad campaign.

Luigiv

Soneet said:
All attacks are of their type. The effects are pretty dramatic even in small numbers. You're usually better off wearing an anti-res than wearing the highest defense armor.

If you have res+10 charms, you can also wear those when fighting certain monsters.

I don't know all the types in this game though. Tigrex in MHFU was a raw type, so you can't wear an anti-res set against it's attacks.
No that's not true. Only attacks that logically make sense to be of that element, are. For example, Rathalos's fireballs are fire element, his talon swipes are dragon element and the rest of his attacks are element neutral.

That's actually the reason why blademaster armour focuses on raw defense whilst gunner armour focuses on elemental resistance. Your more likely to be hit with elemental attacks as a gunner.

markatisu

Luigiv said:
What in the US?

First month: rubbish
LTD: slightly less rubbish

Anecdotal evidence suggests Tri is probably going to exceed previous games by a decent margin, but don't expect any sort of huge sales.

If it makes it into the Top 20 I think that would be a win given that no other entry has ever broken that ground (I just checked going back to 2004)

Then again just like the discussion in the EU sales thread, the series in the west is crap so this should be just a bit less craptastic but still crap.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lance Bone Path said:
I'd be surprised if it breaks 150K. I think the PS2 might have had demographics more receptive to a Monster Hunter title and that's probably going to balance out against a much better ad campaign.

Disagree. I think it will do moderately well given the push. We'll find out soon..

oracrest

Tried the HR30 Jhen Moron ;P quest last night, and plum ran out of time.

Any protips on this guy? we got the dragonator, busting his ridge holes, using cannons and the special ballista harpoon.

Are cannon attacks more effective than going in and attacking his body?

At least we ran out of time rather than losing the ship.

Anyone down for a run of him later tonight? (9/10pm Texas time.)

Luigiv said:
No that's not true. Only attacks that logically make sense to be of that element, are. For example, Rathalos's fireballs are fire element, his talon swipes are dragon element and the rest of his attacks are element neutral.

That's actually the reason why blademaster armour focuses on raw defense whilst gunner armour focuses on elemental resistance. Your more likely to be hit with elemental attacks as a gunner.
The problem with applying logic is that logically there is no reason why there should be a "dragon element" and not a fish or a bird element. High end bosses have a tendency to have a dragon element on many of their attacks but there have been exceptions in previous iterations.

Rathian didn't have dragon element in its attacks in previous iterations of monster hunter and probably doesn't have a dragon element on any of its attacks in Tri. Why? Beats me, but I don't think there's anything logical about that.

oracrest said:
Tried the HR30 Jhen Moron ;P quest last night, and plum ran out of time.

Any protips on this guy? we got the dragonator, busting his ridge holes, using cannons and the special ballista harpoon.

Are cannon attacks more effective than going in and attacking his body?
Going in to attack its body works when you have a good dragon element weapon. That seems to have been the difference between success and failure in the quests I've been on.

Also, with ballista, target its head.

markatisu

What is the best way to take down Gobul? He is really pissing me off, I can beat him online but offline I can get him to limp (or what I think is limping) but then either get smashed into the corners or get disoriented

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for that hunt guys, I really sucked :(

Anyone for 3*s? I got a new mini USB KB and im still getting used to it (is really small)

Kyoufu

Lonely1 said:
Sorry for that hunt guys, I really sucked :(

Anyone for 3*s? I got a new mini USB KB and im still getting used to it (is really small)

Why didn't you stay? I'm fine with doing 3*s.

schuelma said:
Disagree. I think it will do moderately well given the push. We'll find out soon..
I hope you're right. Online doesn't "feel" busy enough to make me think that we'll see something very different this time around.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Lance Bone Path said:
I hope you're right. Online doesn't "feel" busy enough to make me think that we'll see something very different this time around.
What do you mean by "busy" enough? Imo, is the structure of the game. A "quick join" option would do wonders for speeding up groups.

Alex

From what I've read in the past, MH PS2 sold about 50k. MHF2 and MHFU both settled around 200k. This one will probably do the best over time but not set the world on fire like Capcom wants. It's just not the game, especially off the PC, that won't kick in like that.

Rathian Plates, in low rank, are 3% from head break rewards and carves, they really suck. Even in high rank they're still low.

Bird Wyvern Gems are 12% from frill break rewards from the Great Baggi. Try it, I got 3 in about 6 quick runs.

Is anyone running Tri on some form of USB loader or something? I kind of want to mod up just for that, but I'll probably never. I am way to tinker much anymore :lol I was wondering if it helps any with loading, I get a bit annoyed since the loading is quite a large amount more than Freedom Unite was. Freedom Unite freaking cooked running off a memory stick, basically all around instant. The initial level load is what gets to me.

Then again Capcom likes to spam ban warnings so I don't know if you can even get away with something like that online anyway, but it might just be for save data (I am perpetually confused at why you would want to cheat like that in a progression based game)

Sigh, I want Bow in Tri so much, I really, really hope it's in Freedom 3. It was mechanically fantastic, it just needed some numbers tweaks, and it still wasnt bad at all.

Really like that damned thing, it helped fill out on the Gunner armor too which I really think needs more than one weapon and I think it's WAY better for mobility fighting than a Light Gun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS4suHTHWXM total evasion on high tier Spazrex. This made me give Bow a try!) Of course I don't play guns anymore due to what they did with them in Tri either. Sigh.

Frontier has some really cool looking ones

Monoblos_Bow.PNG

But I doubt we'll ever get Frontier in any form.

Lonely1 said:
What do you mean by "busy" enough? Imo, is the structure of the game. A "quick join" option would do wonders for speeding up groups.
The average amount of time spent browsing for a random room to do something I want to do should go down as the servers get more busy. It's a truthy, gut feeling thing, so it could be wrong.

FWIW there is a way to do an automated search for rooms/cities that have certain parameters (it's a bulletin board near the city selection site). Truth be told, most players don't set the parameters correctly when they set up their cities and many cities continue to exist long past their original purpose, so it's a crap shoot.

Nicktals

Banned
Lonely1 said:
I though you guys wanted to do high ranks. Can i go back? :p

I hope I didn't come off as rude, normally I'm more than happy to help with lower stuff, especially when you were so close to your jhen.

It's just that i knew i only had about an hour and a half and just wanted to take a couple quick shots at a wyvern stone.

If you haven't gotten to your urgent by 4 EST, I'd be happy to help out!

Luigiv said:
Ok so run through some examples with me.

I fight Barioth and he does that aggravating multi-lunge hop and plows me over. Is that blunt physical damage or ice damage?

I fight Diablos and he hits me with his new leap out and claw attack, is that dragon element since it's a claw?

I fight Deviljo and he tail swipes me. Was that a dragon elemental attack?

I fight Jehn and he launches his rocks at me, is that dragon element?

Some things like a Rathalos fireball are common sense, but a majority of the attacks I'm hit with are not to me.

PusherT

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Actually that is something I've always been confused about in the MH series.

Take a dragon monster like Deviljo. Are ALL his attacks of dragon element or just his breath attack?

I ask because I've always thought things like "who cares if I have -30 fire res, Rathalos never hits me with fireballs anyways" and therefore considered most elemental resistances near-useless.
Deviljho breath attack and Alatreon charge are defintly dragon attack. Deviljho's drool is real nasty it drops your def rating by 60.

JudgeN

Alex said:
From what I've read in the past, MH PS2 sold about 50k. MHF2 and MHFU both settled around 200k. This one will probably do the best over time but not set the world on fire like Capcom wants. It's just not the game, especially off the PC, that won't kick in like that.

Rathian Plates, in low rank, are 3% from head break rewards and carves, they really suck. Even in high rank they're still low.

Bird Wyvern Gems are 12% from frill break rewards from the Great Baggi. Try it, I got 3 in about 6 quick runs.

Is anyone running Tri on some form of USB loader or something? I kind of want to mod up just for that, but I'll probably never. I am way to tinker much anymore :lol I was wondering if it helps any with loading, I get a bit annoyed since the loading is quite a large amount more than Freedom Unite was. Freedom Unite freaking cooked running off a memory stick, basically all around instant. The initial level load is what gets to me.

Then again Capcom likes to spam ban warnings so I don't know if you can even get away with something like that online anyway, but it might just be for save data (I am perpetually confused at why you would want to cheat like that in a progression based game)

Sigh, I want Bow in Tri so much, I really, really hope it's in Freedom 3. It was mechanically fantastic, it just needed some numbers tweaks, and it still wasnt bad at all.

Really like that damned thing, it helped fill out on the Gunner armor too which I really think needs more than one weapon and I think it's WAY better for mobility fighting than a Light Gun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS4suHTHWXM total evasion on high tier Spazrex. This made me give Bow a try!) Of course I don't play guns anymore due to what they did with them in Tri either. Sigh.

Frontier has some really cool looking ones

I'm running Tri off CFG usbloader, and its loader times are very quick on par with Unite off memory stick. I miss bows as well, great for those monsters that are just a pain in the ass to melee ( looking at you Plesioth or Gravios). I as well hope they are back for freedom 3, I also hope that everyone that is finding MH for the first time with Tri give the PSP versions a shot.

Nicktals

Banned
Alex said:

I don't know if this was aimed at me and kyoufu...but i'm looking for wyvern stones, not bird wyvern gems. (it might not be aimed at me, but i didn't see anyone talking about the difficulty of wyvern gems).

As far as I can tell, the best odds are like 3%. But there are like 7 monsters who drop them, so you get plenty of chances. I just really want 3 to make a new GS!

Haunted

markatisu said:
What is the best way to take down Gobul? He is really pissing me off, I can beat him online but offline I can get him to limp (or what I think is limping) but then either get smashed into the corners or get disoriented
Bring a Fire weapon. Fish him out first (frog, fishing spot in 4) to get some easy hits in. Stay on his sides taking aim at his tail because most of his attacks consist of lunging straight ahead, or swiping behind him with the tail.

If he inflates himself, he adds a roll-over attack to his arsenal which can do some nasty damage. Learn the tell for this one to avoid getting squashed repeatedly.

If you have to fight him underwater (not preferable, but sometimes you have little choice), try to stay above and to the side of him attacking the lantern (which is his weakest spot, so you will do the most damage there). Water is his element, so try to play it safe and get only one or two hits in before getting ready to dodge. If he burrows under, that's perfect for you. Either sonic bomb him to get more free hits, or follow the slight "bulge" in the ground to easily anticipate where he'll emerge.

He can be a bit of a pain when you have to fight him underwater and in a narrow confine (like area 3), I prefer to fight him on land in 1 or 4. 8 is fine as well because you have better visibility. Hope that helps!

d0c_zaius

Nicktals said:
I don't know if this was aimed at me and kyoufu...but i'm looking for wyvern stones, not bird wyvern gems. (it might not be aimed at me, but i didn't see anyone talking about the difficulty of wyvern gems).

As far as I can tell, the best odds are like 3%. But there are like 7 monsters who drop them, so you get plenty of chances. I just really want 3 to make a new GS!

yea people always get them confused

wyvern gem /= wyvern stone

ShinNL

Luigiv said:

Have you ever tested it though? Because from my experience, contrary to the FAQs, all attacks by Kirin are reduced in damage with Thunder resistance in the PSP version. I noticed it when I got more damage from everything (including steps) as a melee hunter than a gunner wearing lots of Thunder resistance. So after witnessing that several times during Kirin runs I stuck with the logic that all attacks are elemental imbued in some way.

Other examples are Ukanlos and Teostra, you simply get less damage from everything (even if it seems "raw") if you get more res. I'm saying this as a Hunting Horn res boosting player...

Alex said:
Eh? They signed a deal with Microsoft I think its supposed to be coming either end of this year or beginning of next.
Linky

Unless ive got my hopes and and thought it was going to come out in the west not just be ported to 360 for the Japanese :S

Alex

Johnlenham said:
Eh? They signed a deal with Microsoft I think its supposed to be coming either end of this year or beginning of next.
Linky

Unless ive got my hopes and and thought it was going to come out in the west not just be ported to 360 for the Japanese :S

It's a Japanese thing

From that same article

The game's official site also went live earlier this morning, and will be updated again on February 1. Keep an eye out for more details in the coming weeks, even though chances of this coming to the West seem slim at best.[

It may come, but it seems very unlikely. Every time it's talked about there's misinterpretation though. :lol

Best off of Agnaktor, which is good since he's popular for Lancer armor.

moowear

not sure if this has been covered but if i have a skill that does not have a (lo) or (m) etc. indicator such as element atk up, does it matter if the points required to activate them is higher than +10?
Asking because my armor set gives me +11 to elemental and just says element atk up; I see no indication that matters whether i'm at +11 or +15. Can anyone shed some light on this?

moowear said:
not sure if this has been covered but if i have a skill that does not have a (lo) or (m) etc. indicator such as element atk up, does it matter if the points required to activate them is higher than +10?
Asking because my armor set gives me +11 to elemental and just says element atk up; I see no indication that matters whether i'm at +11 or +15. Can anyone shed some light on this?
You activate skills at a certain number of points. Elemental needs +10 points to activate and you will not gain anymore advantage from that skill even if you get more points for it.
The game tells you how many skill points you need (it's either +/- 10, 15 or 20 skillpoints) in order to get the corresponding effect when you press the B button on your remote and point the cursor on the skill name.

moowear

slaughterking said:
You activate skills at a certain numbers of points. Elemental needs +10 points to activate and you will not gain anymore advantage from that skill even if you get any more points for it.
The game tells you how many skill points you need (it's either +/- 10, 15 or 20 skillpoints) in order to get the the corresponding effect when you press the B button on your remote and point the cursor on the skill name.

thanks, very helpful. doh, i guess the upside is that now I have 4 element atk up jewels? ha:lol

Hiltz

Ah!! Almost beat Rathalos. Well, I had to abandon the first time at the start because I forgot to bring two extra traps.

- Took me almost 9 minutes to encounter Rathalos. Wandered around areas 3,4,5,7 and 8 only to watch him immediately fly away from area 5 to area 3. He flies way too much (and doesn't give nearly as much opportunies to hit him in the tail while flying in mid-air like Rathian does).

- Only died once. My dog walked in front of the tv screen, blocking my view. Rathalos had just hit me with two fire balls (was stunned at the time) and then he finished me off with the snatch move and poisoned me. I couldn't switch items to get the dung bomb and herbal medicine since my dog was in the way.

- I got hit by one of his aeriel dive moves because I thought he had flown away to a different area. I failed to look up to see that he was still there but just higher up in the sky.

- Every time I set a trap, Rathalos would ram into me except one time when one of those rhenopolos hit me That wasted a few precious seconds to hit him !

- One of those stupid little cat creatures stole my map. Fortunately, I had already used a paintball on Rathalos at the time. However, I ran out of paint balls at the very end so I had less than 2 minutes to rush over to either area 3 or 4 to guess where he was. Got to area 3 to find him but ultimately Ran out of time.

- Broke his face early on but couldn't hit his tail enough times to cut it off.

Alex

The sales are fine, they'll probably wind up with more than the PSP titles and about what Demons Souls had. It's the misguided ad campaigns that need to stop, Monster Hunter has the presence of a niche Japanese action game with that of a niche Western loot/farm/stats hack, it's never going to set the world ablaze here, it's got too much of a curve and it's too challenging right off the bat.

The only thing that will continue to piss me off about Monster Hunter are the text in reviews, and I dont know why I read them, I never read reviews, they're universally terrible in the enthusiast media but I guess I just wanna see what folks are saying.

Still, I'm still doing some nerd seething a bit over the word "archaic" popping up like 5 times. Archaic...? Monster Hunter!? It's like the most fucking progressive online RPG ever conceived. I don't know what they're trying to communicate, I think it's code for "I am stupid and still want lock on".

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Alex said:
The sales are fine, they'll probably wind up with more than the PSP titles and about what Demons Souls had. It's the misguided ad campaigns that need to stop, Monster Hunter has the presence of a niche Japanese action game with that of a niche Western loot/farm/stats hack, it's never going to set the world ablaze here, it's got too much of a curve and it's too challenging right off the bat.

The closest western hit I can compare MH3 to is wow high end rading, and even then, I would say that the appeal is different. What I enjoyed more about Diablo 2 (and Torchlight) was becoming an unstoppable killing machine. Very different from a 40 minutes attrition battle vs a Diablos...

Alex

Lonely1 said:
The closest western hit I can compare MH3 to is wow high end rading, and even then, I would say that the appeal is different. What I enjoyed more about Diablo 2 (and Torchlight) was becoming an unstoppable killing machine. Very different from a 40 minutes attrition battle vs a Diablos...

You do, through gear and through your own skill. My first, and only real bother with the Diablos in Tri specifically was in a duo and it took about 12 minutes. When I first started playing Monster Hunter, a Kut Ku was a big, scary deal, now I can tear most of this shit completely apart. Use proper gear, proper items, learn how it all works, it's the same type of vibe only you're doing it more actively.

gotee12

Alex said:
Still, I'm still doing some nerd seething a bit over the word "archaic" popping up like 5 times. Archaic...? Monster Hunter!? It's like the most fucking progressive online RPG ever conceived. I don't know what they're trying to communicate, I think it's code for "I am stupid and still want lock on".
While I'm in total agreement with you, at the end of the day it is what it is. "Insert your territory here" studios/publishers cater to "Insert your territory here" gamers. They make what sells in their region and rarely stray from the course. Of course there are a few exceptions that do well globally, Ninty 1st parties, Final Fantasy, etc. but for the most part gamers dollars usually vote for more of the same stuff that they've become accustomed to. And straying from established concepts and expectations is borderline blasphemous for some.

I've grown to love MHFU and Tri due to the fact that it's different, innovative and a breath of fresh air compared to the majority of the games coming out of western studios. And the fact that I have a game that lasts more than 10 hours is a miracle. That gets me more than the monotony of similarity. Just last week I was listening to a popular gaming podcast in which they discussed how 8 hours of total playtime is a GOOD length for an entire game, start to finish. What. The. Heck?

Maybe I'm just too old and don't understand the youngsters anymore...

Top Bottom