• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Lenardo

Banned
anyone ever get a count of who is online? i tried the online last night for the first time- i went to "newbie" zones and there were about 4000 people on for that section(this was at ~11:30pm eastern), the OTHER sections had significantly more servers up.

i'm a lowly hr2 now- got my switch axe, solo'd the great jaggi to get to hr2 then called it a night at just after 2am due to work/getting kids to school

I'm looking to farm Barioth, Lagiacrus, and I need Qurupeco flint stones. Anyone want to join me in this endeavor Thursday night? I might be on tonight as well but first I gotta write a review.

Kyoufu

DragonGirl said:
I'm looking to farm Barioth, Lagiacrus, and I need Qurupeco flint stones. Anyone want to join me in this endeavor Thursday night? I might be on tonight as well but first I gotta write a review.

HEY LOOK ITS LIMPI......*disconnects*

selig

Banned
Euro-Hunters, waiting in wisdom 1-city 40.

Created a new town. Would like to do some Rathalos or Barioth or Diablos (no experience with Barioth, though, haha)

A.CHAP

Banned
I may be able to join a little after 5 when im in from work.

edit; I have just unlocked 2* are the beasties your after in those quests?

Last night, I found a room for random people working on their urgents to HR40. Each of us who could post the urgent got a chance to post and clear the quest.

The quests went very well. People used life powders to get other poisoned, stunned people out of the danger zone; people kicked their comrades out of stuns; monster body parts were targeted and prioritized automatically; everyone kept their spacing to avoid smacking each other... It was beautiful.

With everyone repeatedly saying "wow, this is a great group" it made me a little sad that the people in the group felt that our quests were not the typical monster hunting experience :/.

A.CHAP said:
I may be able to join a little after 5 when im in from work.

edit; I have just unlocked 2* are the beasties your after in those quests?

If you are referring to me, I think Qurupeco is the only one. The others are 3 * I believe.

dsister44 said:
exam revision is really limiting the time I can play :( since high rank is comming up i might just make the jump from qurupeco to qurupeco+. how difficult are the + monsters compared to the originals?
+ monsters are barely harder than regular sorts. The danger doesnt come from what u hunt but from what hunts you!!!
I'll be on in an hour or so, all y'all euro gafs look up Selenae. Looking at some 4* quests, maybe some rathians.

Remfin said:
Are you talking about the Event Quest or the Urgent? Because the Urgent is slotted into 3* once you beat it.
Oh is it? Maybe when I checked it was just removed from the list due to the constant cycling of missions.

Been hacking my way to HR30, such a pain in the ass but I have got the bigassdragon water hammer and full barioth now so not ALL bad. Think im like 6k from 30 ; ;

d0c_zaius

Lance Bone Path said:
Last night, I found a room for random people working on their urgents to HR40. Each of us who could post the urgent got a chance to post and clear the quest.

The quests went very well. People used life powders to get other poisoned, stunned people out of the danger zone; people kicked their comrades out of stuns; monster body parts were targeted and prioritized automatically; everyone kept their spacing to avoid smacking each other... It was beautiful.

With everyone repeatedly saying "wow, this is a great group" it made me a little sad that the people in the group felt that our quests were not the typical monster hunting experience :/.

yea I am really really getting tired of this. if you knock someone around more than once per hunt (and you are high rank) I hate you and dont want you in my rooms. :D

I spent last night getting smacked around by the same person, hunt after hunt. I've told them about it before and they just dont get it...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm not gonna be able to hunt any monsters for about a week (for good reasons though), so I'll see you all when you're like 20 HR ahead of me. :D

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For those complaining about Barroth's fertile mud, it's pretty rare!

His shiny drop rates (when you break off the mud are):
Wyvern Tear 72%
Fertile Mud 23%
Barroth Ridge 5%

And you'll never receive them in the Quest Reward. I know, because I'm hunting them myself right now, and it's surely a pain. With my Water Hammer though, Barroth only takes about 7 minutes to go down.

EvilMario said:
And you'll never receive them in the Quest Reward.
Except you do. I've received some in quest rewards before.

Fun hunts, Faust, Hauser and Shin. +barroth was fun! Sorry for the disconnect on jehn. My network sucks. :(

forrest

formerly nacire
Decided to start crafting my Elemental Greatswords. 2 Swords later with 2-3 upgrades each I went from about 140K to 45K. Expensive but oh so worth it. Took my Rathalos Firesword against a Great Baggi'd head. After knocking him silly for about a minute or two, he ran to sleep. Beat him for about another minute and he died! :lol

I also made a Lagiacrus Blade which I'm going to use to farm the Ceadeus in order to get the Greatsword with water attribute!

Loving this game! To Sprsk, John TV and Daniel: Great hunting earlier today, had a blast!

Nicktals

Banned
EvilMario said:

His shiny drop rates (when you break off the mud are):
Wyvern Tear 72%
Fertile Mud 23%
Barroth Ridge 5%

And you'll never receive them in the Quest Reward. I know, because I'm hunting them myself right now, and it's surely a pain. With my Water Hammer though, Barroth only takes about 7 minutes to go down.

I don't know the odds or anything, but I can definitely say this isn't true. I know I've gotten fertile mud in my quest rewards before. I don't know which barroth quest it was either, but I know for a fact I've gotten it as a reward.

forrest

formerly nacire
d0c_zaius said:
yea I am really really getting tired of this. if you knock someone around more than once per hunt (and you are high rank) I hate you and dont want you in my rooms. :D

I spent last night getting smacked around by the same person, hunt after hunt. I've told them about it before and they just dont get it...

Yeah this one is tough, but a little courtesy goes a long way. Being a greatsword user I completely omit the Up swing online, unless no one is remotely around. Earlier today we had a diablos sonic bomb stunned and no one was at the head. So I start the up swing. Next thing I know Daniel runs right in and "flying" he goes! I apologized of course, but he did run into it! :lol Now I just need to work on being careful with my horizontal attacks. They aren't so bad, but they do cause you to stagger.

Also kicking stunned comrades is a must and everyone should be looking to do it. As for targeting and prioritizing monster parts, I'd love to see it done more often.

Alex

I'm finishing up most of my lances and long swords I've been working on, got most elements covered now but I've been lax on armor, that and I really like the wide range+2 from my quro+ set. But I think I'll move on to Agnaktor's armor for lance now.

selig

Banned
Ah, some nice quests, great fun. Played with Neo C. and other gaffers. And "try-and-failed" the Aggunator-quest later, no chance with Ludroth-armor :D

I didnt like to use fancy armor, but now Im building the Rathalos-set. It´s the least fancy-looking one. Though, with it´s "helmet" it makes you look like a Power Ranger :lol

Speaking of armor, I have some direction on what weapons I want to forge next but I have no idea what armor to go for (and I'm still hazy on how the skill thing really works). Appearance-wise, I like the Lagi/Barroth combo I'm sporting and I want that hat for the Ranger armor :D But as for practical sets, I'm going to have to just sit down and study the Wiki. Anyone have a favorite combination to recommend?

Hiltz

Finally beat the Lagiacrus capture quest. (broke his face and scarred his chest)

The Capture Guru skill is so useful and got a mystery charm that had +9 perception on it.

Fortunately, I caught Lagiacrus sleeping in the last area of the floodest forest. So I set up a shock trap and smacked him in the face and threw 1 tranquiler bomb at him. Quest complete.

forrest

formerly nacire
DragonGirl said:
Speaking of armor, I have some direction on what weapons I want to forge next but I have no idea what armor to go for (and I'm still hazy on how the skill thing really works). Appearance-wise, I like the Lagi/Barroth combo I'm sporting and I want that hat for the Ranger armor :D But as for practical sets, I'm going to have to just sit down and study the Wiki. Anyone have a favorite combination to recommend?

Skills are definitely a bit confusing. So skill points on armor don't really do anything until you have a cumulative skill point total of 10 in one specific area. So for example you have attack skill points on your armor. When the total number reaches 10 it activates a small attack bonus for your hunter. You can see this when you look at your armor skills under the heading "active skills". If you hit 15 attack points you get a medium attack increase, at 20 you get a large. So if you only have +5 to attack on a set it does nothing, but if you somehow add +5 attack points, say through decorations, then you get they active skill bonus.

This applies to all the different skills available, fire resistance, sharpener, defense, etc. And you can also have negative skill points which at -10 will give some kinda of "bad" active skill, ie. reduced defense, lower stamina, etc.

By mixing armor pieces and decorations you can get multiple nice active skills going at once. Hope this helps, though I'm sure someone else could have been much more concise with far fewer words.:D

Nicktals

Banned
Hiltz said:
Finally beat the Lagiacrus capture quest. (broke his face and scarred his chest)

The Capture Guru skill is so useful and got a mystery charm that had +9 perception on it.

Fortunately, I caught Lagiacrus sleeping in the last area of the floodest forest. So I set up a shock trap and smacked him in the face and threw 1 tranquiler bomb at him. Quest complete.

Is there a skill that makes your tranqs more potent? I mean, I have many many hours logged, and have captured many monsters, and have always had to throw 2 tranqs.

Just wondering if it's part of the capture guru skill mostly.

Ridley327

Nicktals said:
Is there a skill that makes your tranqs more potent? I mean, I have many many hours logged, and have captured many monsters, and have always had to throw 2 tranqs.

Capture Guru just has the monster icon on the map blink when it's ready for capture. It's always going to be two tranqs.

PusherT

me and Nayishki last night tried fighting deviljho but dam he so fast and hit hard. My bone armor+ is at 261 and I am using a sull mask so I get more skill activated. But yeah Deviljho is a fun fight whose Znarf? We had fun.

gotee12

evangd007 said:
He's easier once you can tell his front from his rear.
I don't even know which end (head or tail) to swing for. After 45 minutes of railing on him, I'm not sure I even hurt him. I never even saw a break or limp. Rathian is 10x easier than this reverse butt slug...

evangd007

gotee12 said:
I don't even know which end (head or tail) to swing for. After 45 minutes of railing on him, I'm not sure I even hurt him. I never even saw a break or limp. Rathian is 10x easier than this reverse butt slug...

Either will do, so long as you don't waste time on the wings. The deal with Gigginox is that you have to wail on him every time you have the opportunity, since half the time he's on the damn ceiling or wall and you can't touch him. If time is a factor perhaps upgrading your weapon, if possible, will help?

Getting a party together for my 5* Urgent was a bit of a bitch, but that's finally taken care of. No more dreading wasted HR points. I'm officially in "casual" mode now. Just in time, too. Gamefly shipped out Lost Planet 2 and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

I can count the number of "bad" teammates I've had on one hand, and they were all during Urgents. I don't know what it is about those that bring out the worst in people. Someone will faint within the first five minutes, get rattled, and abandon, leaving us shorthanded. Or, we'll get the "holier than thou" higher rank hunter who gets genuinely upset that people who are running an Urgent for the first time or so don't already know everything there is to know about what they're fighting -- then they abandon and leave us shorthanded. Then, in between those, there were people going "brb..." 10-15 minutes into the 5* Urgent. Really now?

I don't feel too inclined to chase after an armor set. Nothing really catches my eye in Tri. Been pimping out Lv. 7 Alloy+ for the last 15% of my online play. And with my GS, I look like I got lost on my way to Boletaria Castle. I grew attached to the skills I had equipped with the armor: Critical Eye 3, Critical Draw, Trap Master, Sneak, and Speed Sharpening. (Lucked out and found a charm with Sense +10 and Crit Draw +7.) I downgraded to Crit Eye 2 so that I could add Divine Blessing for my Urgent. Once I get ahold of a 3-slot weapon, I'll consider downgrading to Crit Eye 1 and ditching Blessing for something else. Mind's Eye was my first choice. I'm pretty sure I'll have to make a completely new armor set specifically to deal with Deviljho, though.

Eric WK said:
I might buy a Wii for this game.
I bought a PSP for Freedom Unite. Don't regret it. I know two people who bought PS3s for adhoc Party...to use with Freedom Unite. MH is a helluva drug.

Hiltz

Nicktals said:

Yes, I have also always had to throw 2 tranq bombs to capture monsters with this one rare exception during the capture Lagiacrus quest. It may have been a bug/ glitch or something.
I used the capture guru skill again to take down two Quropeco's but it took 2 tranq bombs to make it go to sleep.

It doesn't look like there is any armor skill that has an effect on tranq bombs.

Kyoufu

Attack You said:
I don't feel too inclined to chase after an armor set. Nothing really catches my eye in Tri. Been pimping out Lv. 7 Alloy+ for the last 15% of my online play. And with my GS, I look like I got lost on my way to Boletaria Castle. I grew attached to the skills I had equipped with the armor: Critical Eye 3, Critical Draw, Trap Master, Sneak, and Speed Sharpening. (Lucked out and found a charm with Sense +10 and Crit Draw +7.) I downgraded to Crit Eye 2 so that I could add Divine Blessing for my Urgent. Once I get ahold of a 3-slot weapon, I'll consider downgrading to Crit Eye 1 and ditching Blessing for something else. Mind's Eye was my first choice. I'm pretty sure I'll have to make a completely new armor set specifically to deal with Deviljho, though.

You really should ditch critical eye if you're using a GS. Fast Charge + Crit Draw are key in good GS utilisation.

gotee12

evangd007 said:
...don't waste time on the wings...
/smacks forehead

I spent roughly 35 of the 45 minutes doing just that. Maybe one day I'll finally learn to check the wiki before attempting a new monster. (I also need to take along extra antidotes...)

Kyoufu said:
You really should ditch critical eye if you're using a GS. Fast Charge + Crit Draw are key in good GS utilisation.
I hop between GS, Hammer, and Switch Axe. I do miss the Fast Charge skill I had earlier in the game. I was just thinking of getting that one back.

Alex

Eric WK said:
I might buy a Wii for this game.

That's what I did as soon as they announced it. :lol

Ceadeus is in a way more bland than Lao Shan even but I enjoy doing the fight anyway. I can get it done in 22 mins at the moment. I was using the High Undertaker but I swaped to the Heaven's Thunder Y and my kill speed cooked up a bit.

mclem

Kyoufu said:
Thats what I did, and I don't regret it.

I'd like some reassurance that this is being as successful as it deserves to be. If nothing else, I'd love to see the G edition over here too, but I'd assume it'd have to justify that with sales. I'm not sure it's doing *that* well in Europe, the servers don't feel as full as the US ones sound like from descriptions here.

And then maybe we can get the 10-man cities back, because I'm starting to get that they're kind of a big deal.

Alex

I'm not too concerned with the localization of the expansion (provided there is one on the Wii and they're not just leaving all of that new stuff in Freedom 3). I think it'd make it over in some form for sure this time like MHFU did on PSP.

I'm more concerned with the Felyne Village game, I really want that too. :lol And it hardly seems like a big priority. It looks like a new Tron Bonne kind of gig, only with MH theming instead of Legends.

Top Bottom