• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

markatisu

Haunted said:
Bring a Fire weapon. Fish him out first (frog, fishing spot in 4) to get some easy hits in. Stay on his sides taking aim at his tail because most of his attacks consist of lunging straight ahead, or swiping behind him with the tail.

If he inflates himself, he adds a roll-over attack to his arsenal which can do some nasty damage. Learn the tell for this one to avoid getting squashed repeatedly.

If you have to fight him underwater (not preferable, but sometimes you have little choice), try to stay above and to the side of him attacking the lantern (which is his weakest spot, so you will do the most damage there). Water is his element, so try to play it safe and get only one or two hits in before getting ready to dodge. If he burrows under, that's perfect for you. Either sonic bomb him to get more free hits, or follow the slight "bulge" in the ground to easily anticipate where he'll emerge.

He can be a bit of a pain when you have to fight him underwater and in a narrow confine (like area 3), I prefer to fight him on land in 1 or 4. 8 is fine as well because you have better visibility. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips, I will try them out tonight :D

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Kyoufu said:
I didn't get a single one! Quite possibly the worst drop rate I have seen in any MH game ever. People think Plates are bad? I have plenty of those... :(
Can't possibly be worse than Lao and Blos rubies from MH2?

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Gamer @ Heart said:
Did you go in with fate +15 and everything else you could think of?
I don't even remember what armor set I was using. It's been a while since I last played but I probably did. I was getting desperate, you have no idea. I even resorted to petting the piggie
it did nothing :(
Thankfully, I'm nowhere near fighting a Blos yet in Tri since I just got it so I won't worry about farming it yet.

L00P

Fearsome Maw GET! I can finally upgrade my Gobul spear:D

Also fought Barioth for the first time. Jesus Christ that thing is fast. His health seems kinda low though. I only had a few opportunity to land some hits but I still had plenty of time left when he tried to sleep. I really thought I was gonna fail that mission as I have gotten killed twice in rapid succession already and had like three potions left. Thanks for healing me, Cha-Cha!

With that said, I used Switch Axe that time. I came back to him with a Lance and just destroyed him. I love the lance:lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How do you get the 2 stars quests online? I'm HR 8, i beated the urgent Barroth quest, and still nothing. Do i have to complete every 1 star quests first? I really don't want to do the 6 goldenfish & 14 crystal bones quests. =/

Kyoufu

Bisnic said:
How do you get the 2 stars quests online? I'm HR 8, i beated the urgent Barroth quest, and still nothing. Do i have to complete every 1 star quests first? I really don't want to do the 6 goldenfish & 14 crystal bones quests. =/

2* opens when you beat the urgent......

Or maybe you need HR9? I thought it was just the urgent :/

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kyoufu said:
haha, nope! SCHUELMA COME BACK WE CAN HELP YOUUUUUUUU

:lol :lol I had already done the urgent quest but wasn't to L9 yet, so I was just farming Quro and Jaggi. Someday I'll be at a high enough level to do quests with you guys :)

evangd007

Bisnic said:

You gotta post the Barroth urgent and beat it. Only the poster graduates to 2*.

Gonna head on now, anyone want to join me on my grind to HR 30 and Jhen Moran?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Gamer @ Heart said:
DONT BRING SALES AGE IN HERE!!!

Good or bad it will only lead to crappyness, as other threads have shown.

shrug..it had been discussed a lot earlier today.

schuelma said:
shrug..it had been discussed a lot earlier today.

Shame i wasnt here to tell them off!

Also, i hit a really shitty point in any MH obsessed players life. When they have to go back and kill countless non elite monster for a 35% drop to build what they want. In my case, regular lagia horns. 10 of them to be exact. Time to head back to the recruiting server.

Sigh.

botticus

schuelma said:
Sold 126K first month in U.S. Pretty good.
Thanks - couldn't find the number for the life of me in the NPD thread.

Hopefully a good number of those people are still < HR9 so I am not alone in getting back to the 1* Urgent this weekend. Stupid vacation!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gamer @ Heart said:
Shame i wasnt here to tell them off!

Also, i hit a really shitty point in any MH obsessed players life. When they have to go back and kill countless non elite monster for a 35% drop to build what they want. In my case, regular lagia horns. 10 of them to be exact. Time to head back to the recruiting server.

Sigh.

Yep. Gonna have to do that soon with Agnaktor myself, for Agna Claws (I know you can get them from High Rank Agna, but for some reason I always get Claw+. :lol ).

I didn't actually fight my first Agna until HR43, since he's not a required battle offline.

Hiltz

Stupid Rathalos.

Once again I ran out of time but sliced off its tail and smashed its head. I'm getting tired of these 50 minute battles !

Didn't die once while using the ananta long sword but try the switch axe next time.

botticus said:
Thanks - couldn't find the number for the life of me in the NPD thread.

Hopefully a good number of those people are still < HR9 so I am not alone in getting back to the 1* Urgent this weekend. Stupid vacation!

I'm HR7 if I recall. :p

So now I'm starting to understand skills and how they can benefit you if you use the right armor and weapons for the right situations.

Lonely1 said:
Wow, couldn't get my 3*'s done :(

Online? I'd like to help if possible. :)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
evangd007 said:
You gotta post the Barroth urgent and beat it. Only the poster graduates to 2*.

Gonna head on now, anyone want to join me on my grind to HR 30 and Jhen Moran?

I WAS the one who posted the Barroth urgent quest, and still can't select the 2* quests.

d0c_zaius

Bisnic said:
I WAS the one who posted the Barroth urgent quest, and still can't select the 2* quests.

yes but you still need the appropriate HR rank to have access to the next quest series.

Example. I beat the 4 star urgent, but didnt unlock 5 star until I was the next HR level

If you are still confused go look at the MH3 wiki under Online quests. It tells you the required HR rank.

My interest in MH3 is starting to decay. If anyone wants to do some high rank and help jump start my MH3 appreciation, hit me up!

Luigiv

Lance Bone Path said:
The problem with applying logic is that logically there is no reason why there should be a "dragon element" and not a fish or a bird element. High end bosses have a tendency to have a dragon element on many of their attacks but there have been exceptions in previous iterations.

Rathian didn't have dragon element in its attacks in previous iterations of monster hunter and probably doesn't have a dragon element on any of its attacks in Tri. Why? Beats me, but I don't think there's anything logical about that.

Soneet said:
Have you ever tested it though? Because from my experience, contrary to the FAQs, all attacks by Kirin are reduced in damage with Thunder resistance in the PSP version. I noticed it when I got more damage from everything (including steps) as a melee hunter than a gunner wearing lots of Thunder resistance. So after witnessing that several times during Kirin runs I stuck with the logic that all attacks are elemental imbued in some way.

Other examples are Ukanlos and Teostra, you simply get less damage from everything (even if it seems "raw") if you get more res. I'm saying this as a Hunting Horn res boosting player...

Okay, I should have worded that better, but in my defense it was 12:30 am and I went to bed immediately after posting. What I was trying to say is that not every attack from a monster is going to be of it's element. Usually most of a monster's melee attacks will be raw, with one or two randomly having an element to them. Of course there will be exceptions but you should take note how the ones Soneet listed are elder dragons and end bosses.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Ok so run through some examples with me.

I fight Barioth and he does that aggravating multi-lunge hop and plows me over. Is that blunt physical damage or ice damage?

I fight Diablos and he hits me with his new leap out and claw attack, is that dragon element since it's a claw?

I fight Deviljo and he tail swipes me. Was that a dragon elemental attack?

I fight Jehn and he launches his rocks at me, is that dragon element?

Some things like a Rathalos fireball are common sense, but a majority of the attacks I'm hit with are not to me.
*shrugs* Not really sure when it comes to Tri's monsters. Haven't been hitting the FAQs as hard as I did with the original. The only one I know for sure is Diablos, who is completely raw. I would also presume that most of Deviljho's attacks have dragon element.

Duress

Wow, I just got out of a quest for capturing Rathian and the two other guys I was playing with laid down 3 different traps and couldn't get him into it. We failed the quest. :/

Now I'm not saying these guys didn't know what they were doing because clearly we had him limping, but you should at least know to set up a trap when they are about to land from limping away or do it at its resting spot. I probably should of brought a trap. /rant

PusherT

Duress said:
Wow, I just got out of a quest for capturing Rathian and the two other guys I was playing with laid down 3 different traps and couldn't get him into it. We failed the quest. :/

Now I'm not saying these guys didn't know what they were doing because clearly we had him limping, but you should at least know to set up a trap when they are about to land from limping away or do it at its resting spot. I probably should of brought a trap. /rant
They could have brought hunting horn too, thats a goodie. It draws in em I even use for diablos sometimes

d0c_zaius said:
yes but you still need the appropriate HR rank to have access to the next quest series.

Example. I beat the 4 star urgent, but didnt unlock 5 star until I was the next HR level

If you are still confused go look at the MH3 wiki under Online quests. It tells you the required HR rank.

My interest in MH3 is starting to decay. If anyone wants to do some high rank and help jump start my MH3 appreciation, hit me up!

Me? :)

Poyunch

Sorry for those who fought with me in that Diablos fight. I hate that monster so much. That trap mess up and me dieing twice. Unacceptable. I'm am so extremely sorry.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
PounchEnvy said:
Sorry for those who fought with me in that Diablos fight. I hate that monster so much. That trap mess up and me dieing twice. Unacceptable. I'm am so extremely sorry.
I would like to help. Server?

evangd007

PounchEnvy said:

Not a problem. We still won, didn't we? It was only stressful because AaRoN thought it was a cap quest and we had no more traps.

Lonely1 said:
I would like to help. Server?

The whole damn room crashed and booted everyone. It's back up now, recruiting/wisdom1/gate40/city4 if you're interested.

d0c_zaius said:
did you find our game?

currently its me and Lance BPork

and as I typed this, we are doing a gathering quest and he just fainted :lol

I found you, but it said HR Rank Mismatch, I'm HR7. :/

I died trying to do the Qurupeco capture mission by trying to also kill a Rathian. :/

Solo.

Are monsters even tougher online due to the ability for 4 people to take them on at once?

Hiltz

Yes! Took down Rathalos on my third try.

Got killed twice and forgot to bring two extra traps but still managed to complete it.

Next up : Fight Barioth or Diablos.

Which one is easier ?

Luigiv

sillymonkey321 said:
How exactly does the wide range skill work? Sometimes my potions don't seem to heal other people.
Wide range only works on people in the same area, so if your in a different area to everyone else it wont work. If it's not that then could be lag, as that can delay the effect by a couple of seconds and it's easy to miss seeing when it does.

Owzers

Luigiv said:
Wide range only works on people in the same area, so if your in a different area to everyone else it wont work. If it's not that then could be lag, as that can delay the effect by a couple of seconds and it's easy to miss seeing when it does.

Does it also only heal people depending on how much it heals myself? For instance, if i have full health and my teammates don't, will it heal them if i use a potion? I tried to do that but it didnt seem to work.

oracrest

Gamer @ Heart said:
DONT BRING SALES AGE IN HERE!!!

Good or bad it will only lead to crappyness, as other threads have shown.

You guys put too much stock in first month NPD numbers. MH3 should have strong legs for the length of the console. It is only getting more popular in the states with each iteration, and that at least is a good sign. Thank god it's multiplayer online. Thank god japan knows enough about gaming to keep the franchise profitable. I just hope capcom keeps supporting the us and European version to expand the fanbase.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:

Got killed twice and forgot to bring two extra traps but still managed to complete it.

Which one is easier ?
I've yet to kill a Rathalos. Only capture it. :( Anyway for me Barioth is easier. Keep in mind he's extremely fast and for most of the battle he rarely gives you openings because he's always moving. The good thing is he gets tired more easily and he doesn't have that much health.

Diablos is a pain due to the amount of damage it can do in one hit. At least or me.

Hero of Legend said:
I found you, but it said HR Rank Mismatch, I'm HR7. :/

I died trying to do the Qurupeco capture mission by trying to also kill a Rathian. :/

Solo.

Are monsters even tougher online due to the ability for 4 people to take them on at once?
Yup.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hiltz said:

Which one is easier ?
Barioth. Diablos is a bitch.

Top Bottom