• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Kevtones

Hey SALES AGE is what it is but I'm pretty happy for 126K. Not bad for 10 days during the slowest month of the year.

I expect good WoM so I think 500K domestic isn't a pipe dream :)

Schwabe

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Ok so run through some examples with me.

I fight Barioth and he does that aggravating multi-lunge hop and plows me over. Is that blunt physical damage or ice damage?

I fight Diablos and he hits me with his new leap out and claw attack, is that dragon element since it's a claw?

I fight Deviljo and he tail swipes me. Was that a dragon elemental attack?

I fight Jehn and he launches his rocks at me, is that dragon element?

Some things like a Rathalos fireball are common sense, but a majority of the attacks I'm hit with are not to me.

Wenn you have been hit by any Element, watch out for the little symbols beside your Hunters Name.

Barioth has only his snowball attack, it does imho only raw damage, but it gives you some kind of frozen status, which slows down your stamina recovery (like the "water attacks" of Lagiacrus or Ceadeus)

Diablos has not any elemental attacks, hes is just damn fast and strong when enraged.

Deviljho has some elemental Attacks, his Tailswing isn't one of them. When he bites you, it will decrease your defense -80, when he is enraged he has dragon elemental attacks. (like Ceadeus or Alatreon)

The rocks of Jhen is not elemental, its just raw. I wasn't hit yet by Jhen in a elemental way, so i don't know, if there is any elemental damage.

Haunted said:
I'd say around 4 times as tough, regardless of player count.

4 times maybe for 4*-6* online Quests. The low rank quests online, should be so hard, like the 5* and urgents offline.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
3 times tonight we got Barroth limping. 3 times someone died after we had gotten that far. Hunter Rank 8 really loves me :(

Mardak

Dreavus, thanks for the help finishing my Peco+ set and testing out Wide-Range.

For those curious about the Wide-Range skill.. it seems to only affect regular potions (not first-aid, mega, max, etc.), herbs, antidote, and seeds (e.g., might/attack, adamant/defense, waterblock/water res, etc.). Also, it seems like the duration of seed effects is maybe half(?) of the user's duration.

mclem

(Lights the EU-GAFsignal)

Right, I've not had much opportunity to play these last few days, but I've got free time this evening - with a break for Ashes to Ashes - so I'll probably stick my head in Wisdom1:Gate40 from 7pm UK time to see if there's any action on.

I'm interested in 2* stuff for progression, but quite happy to help out with 1* content too; the more people we can get *up* to 2*, the better for all of us!

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
oracrest said:
You guys put too much stock in first month NPD numbers. MH3 should have strong legs for the length of the console. It is only getting more popular in the states with each iteration, and that at least is a good sign. Thank god it's multiplayer online. Thank god japan knows enough about gaming to keep the franchise profitable. I just hope capcom keeps supporting the us and European version to expand the fanbase.
It certainly deserves the push it's getting - I hope it translates into wider success.

Yay beat Diablos offline yesterday, he was the only one left to kill. And it's Cha-cha who gave the finishing blow :lol He stole it from me as I was healing up (for nothing)!

A.CHAP

Banned
mclem said:
(Lights the EU-GAFsignal)

Right, I've not had much opportunity to play these last few days, but I've got free time this evening - with a break for Ashes to Ashes - so I'll probably stick my head in Wisdom1:Gate40 from 7pm UK time to see if there's any action on.

I'm interested in 2* stuff for progression, but quite happy to help out with 1* content too; the more people we can get *up* to 2*, the better for all of us!

Jolly good. Im planning a hefty session tonight from 5.30pm till the wee hours of the morning.

I will try to keep a city open on Wisdom1 Gate40 all night. I am happy to do any 1+2* Quests.

selig

Banned
haha, wow. helped a friend to beat the HR9-urgent quest Barroth. Some other beginners that joined kept dying, and it took like forever to beat him. Sorry, but Im a SnS-user, im not there to make heavy damage XD

And right afterwards, someone starts an arena-qurupeco, then, after it starts, leaves me alone. Well, I didnt want to give up and beat that online-qurupeco alone, ha! :D

Kyoufu

sillymonkey321 said:
Does it also only heal people depending on how much it heals myself? For instance, if i have full health and my teammates don't, will it heal them if i use a potion? I tried to do that but it didnt seem to work.

It will work yes. It only works with Potions though, not Mega Potion or First Aid Med.

There are two levels of Wide-Area, the first one isn't as potent as the +20 skill.

markatisu

selig said:
haha, wow. helped a friend to beat the HR9-urgent quest Barroth. Some other beginners that joined kept dying, and it took like forever to beat him. Sorry, but Im a SnS-user, im not there to make heavy damage XD

Yeah he takes a long time to beat online unless someone has a hammer or lance

And right afterwards, someone starts an arena-qurupeco, then, after it starts, leaves me alone. Well, I didnt want to give up and beat that online-qurupeco alone, ha! :D

I hate that, I have had that happen a few times. Not sure if they get disconnected or are just plain douches

markatisu

_tetsuo_ said:
3 times tonight we got Barroth limping. 3 times someone died after we had gotten that far. Hunter Rank 8 really loves me :(

If you still need help let me know, I would not mind helping to get you past HR8

If it was not for GAF I think I would be still stuck there

Kyoufu

john tv said:
Kyoufu, come in our lobby -- we're in a quest but I'll keep it for ya soon as we get out.

Okay. I'm at the City Gate waiting. I picked up a keyboard so I won't be such a mute like before.

forrest

formerly nacire
john tv said:
Fighting bugs for sprks' amusement. Come be bored with me! We need a fourth.

You guys still on, about to log in. I hit HR 30 last night! Did my Jhen Moren event. 4* still locked till 31 though I believe.

forrest

formerly nacire
john tv said:
If you come right now, we're there and have an open slot~

Edit: gone! taken by Lonely1

Haha I logged on, but you guys were full. I realized I need to do some serious offline farming for some supplies. Gonna go get some lunch for a bit, I'll be around later if you guys are still at it.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I think if this game just had a spiced up khezu, it would feel so much better. I miss that fat, slow moving, trick you into thinking you cant be killed, blob. Giggi is cool, but no one likes fighting him. I would have chosen nargacuga over barioth, but the rest of mh tri's monsters really shine.

edit: I'm not a fan of agnaktor either. I think I would choose an updated gravios over him.

explodet

Me and some friends tried the Gobul event quest without realizing we had to finish the subquests as well. Killing the Gobul was cake, and I had frogs on me for subquest B, but you should have seen us running around trying to get more bait for the goldenfish part. We ended up failing it, only to pass with flying colors the on the second attempt.

Anyone know what Black Pearls are used for?

Kyoufu

Man, we rocked Diablos/Uragaan event twice in a row, got the plans I needed then I realised I need another 6 for the upgrade! Guess I know what we're farming sprsk/jtv!

john tv

Kyoufu said:
Man, we rocked Diablos/Uragaan event twice in a row, got the plans I needed then I realised I need another 6 for the upgrade! Guess I know what we're farming sprsk/jtv!
Hah. :) That fight is such a rush -- definitely ready for more tomorrow!

Good hunts -- will try to get to 27 ASAP tomorrow so I can help with sprsks' urgent, too.

FootNinja said:
I think if this game just had a spiced up khezu, it would feel so much better. I miss that fat, slow moving, trick you into thinking you cant be killed, blob. Giggi is cool, but no one likes fighting him. I would have chosen nargacuga over barioth, but the rest of mh tri's monsters really shine.

edit: I'm not a fan of agnaktor either. I think I would choose an updated gravios over him.
Gigginox is overly cartoony for my tastes. Khezu was in need of some updating since the electric shock attack is a kind of boring to wait through.

The updated gravios is probably ura. It has the exploding red gas and the sleep gas attacks, is hard skinned, has a ridiculous spin attack, and is generally slow aside from some charges.

Agnaktor is pretty cool and reminds me more of a plessy/volganos hybrid than of a gravios.

oracrest

FootNinja said:
I think if this game just had a spiced up khezu, it would feel so much better. I miss that fat, slow moving, trick you into thinking you cant be killed, blob.

1273766352560.png

So today's the last day for the current event quests. According to the wiki, there will be two different quests that yield special stuff up tomorrow.

I've got my blood sport tickets, but I'll help out anyone who wants to do blood sport later this evening. (I'm not that good at that quest, though).

Leezard

Aw, I got disconnected and when I try to rejoin my spot is taken. :(
Oh well, I had a good time playing with you. Selig, mckmas and A.CHAP, I believe. Too bad there's so much grind until HR18.

I noticed my spirit blade seemed to hit you guys a lot. I tried toning it down after the first quests, and look for when I had a more open space.

I don't think I've ever killed a Gobul as fast as when we did the event though. He just got slaughtered! :D

hiro4

Took down, Barroth, Gobul, Great Baggi and some Royal Ludroths/Great Jaggi's the last few days to get some materials.

It all went pretty smooth, fighting two Royal Ludroths at the same time underwater with the hammer was pain in the ass, also Gobul was quite annoying. Not difficult, but annoying. But I kicked ass.

Then I met Gigginox. Holy shit! I've never run away that fast for a beast. He was HUGE. :lol
Is he supposed to be that huge? He looked like twice the size of a Khezu. Also with his Face being his ass and reverse I wasn't quite sure how to take him. Glad it was a fetch quest, so I just ran.

This game keeps suprising me, I'll probably be playing this for the rest of the year.

selig

Banned
ah, its nice to do the older quests with lower rank hunters :D Though, Barroth was a bitch today. No idea why it was so hard. Rathian is piece of cake, though.

gotee12

Lance Bone Path said:
So today's the last day for the current event quests. According to the wiki, there will be two different quests that yield special stuff up tomorrow.

I've got my blood sport tickets, but I'll help out anyone who wants to do blood sport later this evening. (I'm not that good at that quest, though).
I'm really looking forward to "Alluring Dress". I've been wanting to get into the Lance but haven't put forth enough effort into deciding which one to start off with. Having the option to use a frickin' shark as a weapon made that decision quite simple...

Dreavus

Lance Bone Path said:

hmm, last day? I have gotten enough for the first weapon iteration but lack enough for an upgrade. I kind of want to stock up a bit for later, but I've been having shit luck with the incomplete plans.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Dreavus said:
hmm, last day? I have gotten enough for the first weapon iteration but lack enough for an upgrade. I kind of want to stock up a bit for later, but I've been having shit luck with the incomplete plans.
What is your ava from?

edit- blazblue apparently. Well if I ever played that game, I would so pick that guy.

Eric WK

QUICK!

Okay, I decided to do it. About to go out and buy a Wii and the game. Any place in the US I should look to buy this (sale this week or classic controller bundle or something)?

Hiltz

I think Target's online website may be offering the new Wii console bundle for $169 with the use of a 15% coupon code "TGTREACT". Type in the coupon code where it says e-GiftCard claim code. Shipping is free by the way.

Recently beat Barioth on first try. I was surprised by how ridiculously easy he was while using the thunder clap long sword and didn't have any issue keeping up with his movements. Cut off his clawed wings and broke off his tail. He was definetly much eaiser than Rathalos. I'm currently at 96 hours into the single player mode and its already my third most played game (hour-wise) behind Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess (175 hours) and Conduit (106 hours... only beaten the single player twice while rest is online) according to Nintendo Channel game record.

Eric WK

Thanks for the tip, but I'm a total impulse guy and nine times out of ten I'll make my mind up about a purchase and have to buy in person as soon as possible. Yeah, I didn't see any special deals on the game, but I was able to locate a classic controller bundle at Best Buy which I wasn't expecting.

Hiltz

Seriously, even if the classic controller pro is the only time I'd ever use it for Monster Hunter Tri, then I would have no regrets. The controller is just that good.

selig

Banned
Wow, just played with the worst MH3-player so far :D

First, he absolutely wants to kill a Diablos. Well, okay. There´s another guy who wanted to do Barioth, but then this guy (and a fellow German, too) insisted on doing the Diablos by telling the other guy "I helped you" - which most likely means that he coincidentially tagged along. So, the other guy joins the Diablos-quest. Then...waiting for a 4th player. Finally, someone joins. Someone from my friendslist. Im glad to see a familiar player and we start.
RIGHT AFTER we´re at the base camp, the fellow German, who called himself "killa", writes "oh, birthday, have to eat", and just leaves his character be.
Well, I know that Im not too bad, and the guy from my friendslist is good, too, so we start the hunt.
We´re inmidst the desert and fight, when the other player dies. I write "np", as in no problem. He returns to the point of action, and then suddenly quits the game. Yeah...
Still, I´m confident to make it with my friend´s help.
After like 10 minutes of fighting and using up a lot of potions, killa returns to the Wii.
"Mhm, pizza" are his first and only words. :|
He comes running to the Diablos and...keeps running in circles. The smartass he is, he writes "to the rocks!", where he keeps waiting, far away from where we´re fighting the monster.
At some point, I run out of potions and my stamina is dead, so I have to return to the base camp for health regeneration. I do so and meanwhile, my friend manages to cut off the Diablo´s tail. Yay!
From here on out, it´s a drawn-out battle, with me running between Diablos and base camp. For some reason, Im the only one who has to get to the base camp for health regen. Well, my friend is just good, and killa? AH RIGHT, he´s hardly fighting AND has all his potions from letting us fight alone for 10 minutes. :|
In the end, my friend beat the Diablos...while Im midway to the base camp for regen, as I keep an eye on not dying. The best part was, when killa got all the Diablos stuff, and I was too far away from the monster´s corpse.

Yeah, thank you, killa. Removed from friendslist (where he added me instantly before the whole quest).

:|

players like these are an exception, though, gladly

Apenheul

Finally I had completed my Lagiacrus armor-set, got all excited and wanted to help a low-HR hunter with Rathian and before I knew it Rathian killed me in 2 seconds with a wingclap and then immediately rushing over me....

Eteric Rice

Apenheul said:
Finally I had completed my Lagiacrus armor-set, got all excited and wanted to help a low-HR hunter with Rathian and before I knew it Rathian killed me in 2 seconds with a wingclap and then immediately rushing over me....

I almost have it as well. Just need the head. :D

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
selig said:
Wow, just played with the worst MH3-player so far :D

First, he absolutely wants to kill a Diablos. Well, okay. There´s another guy who wanted to do Barioth, but then this guy (and a fellow German, too) insisted on doing the Diablos by telling the other guy "I helped you" - which most likely means that he coincidentially tagged along. So, the other guy joins the Diablos-quest. Then...waiting for a 4th player. Finally, someone joins. Someone from my friendslist. Im glad to see a familiar player and we start.
RIGHT AFTER we´re at the base camp, the fellow German, who called himself "killa", writes "oh, birthday, have to eat", and just leaves his character be.
Well, I know that Im not too bad, and the guy from my friendslist is good, too, so we start the hunt.
We´re inmidst the desert and fight, when the other player dies. I write "np", as in no problem. He returns to the point of action, and then suddenly quits the game. Yeah...
Still, I´m confident to make it with my friend´s help.
After like 10 minutes of fighting and using up a lot of potions, killa returns to the Wii.
"Mhm, pizza" are his first and only words. :|
He comes running to the Diablos and...keeps running in circles. The smartass he is, he writes "to the rocks!", where he keeps waiting, far away from where we´re fighting the monster.
At some point, I run out of potions and my stamina is dead, so I have to return to the base camp for health regeneration. I do so and meanwhile, my friend manages to cut off the Diablo´s tail. Yay!
From here on out, it´s a drawn-out battle, with me running between Diablos and base camp. For some reason, Im the only one who has to get to the base camp for health regen. Well, my friend is just good, and killa? AH RIGHT, he´s hardly fighting AND has all his potions from letting us fight alone for 10 minutes. :|
In the end, my friend beat the Diablos...while Im midway to the base camp for regen, as I keep an eye on not dying. The best part was, when killa got all the Diablos stuff, and I was too far away from the monster´s corpse.

Yeah, thank you, killa. Removed from friendslist (where he added me instantly before the whole quest).

:|

players like these are an exception, though, gladly
Better than players that rush in to get killed
like me

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any tricks against Barioth? This fucker is fast and have long range attacks with his tail and fangs, hate him! I know he always do that little jump before charging me with his fangs, but i never have enough time to sheathe my weapon and do a run + evade move which seems to be the best way to avoid his fast attacks.

Great Baggi armor isnt really helping i think, he only have 1 ice special attack and it's easy to avoid. Maybe my Lagiacrius set with better defense would be more helpful. Anything else im missing?

Also, is there any skill that stop your hunter from doing this stupid animation everytime i use a potion or ration? I get hit waaaay too many times because my retard hunter was all "YAY I USED A POTION! Look at my strong arms!" while Barioth turned around, charged me, stunned me in the process, and proceed to kill me.

ASSHOLE

Alex

Break his wings, if you have a gunner exhaust shot him too.

Speed eating +2 skill to get rid of consumption times, but it's not necessary, just learn the "turns" better.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm just trying to do better against him offline before having poor players online dealing with my "noobiness", so no gunners. It helped me a lot in fighting that urgent quest for Barroth and it will also help me a lot when the time come for me to fight Rathian too since i spent so much time farming that 1 Rathian Plate.

I need some Amber Tusks to make some pieces of the Barioth set, does that mean i need to wound its head??? Damn, it's already hard enough to hit him on the sides, can't believe how it is to aim at the head.

evangd007

Bisnic said:
Is there any tricks against Barioth? This fucker is fast and have long range attacks, hate him! I know he always do that little jump before charging me with his fangs, but i never have enough time to sheathe my weapon and do a run + evade move which seems to be the best way to avoid his fast attacks.

Attack the wings first. Damaged wings puts him off balance, making him trip when he jumps around.

Great Baggi armor isnt really helping i think, he only have 1 ice special attack and it's easy to avoid. Maybe my Lagiacrius set with better defense would be more helpful. Anything else im missing?

I, too, first tried Barioth with Baggi armor and failed miserably. I found my +10 ice/mud charm much more useful than any ice resist.

Also, is there any skill that stop your hunter from doing this stupid animation everytime i use a potion or ration? I get hit waaaay too many times because my retard hunter was all "YAY I USED A POTION! Look at my strong arms!" while Barioth turned around, charged me, stunned me in the process, and proceed to kill me.

ASSHOLE

You can't cancel that animation, but you can make it faster with the Eating armor skill. Do you enjoy fighting Gobul? His armor has Eating +2.

Top Bottom