• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
evangd007 said:
Do you mean gluehoppers? Sandy Desert bug spots have them.
I think they're two different bugs...

For the Ludroth Bone Mace :

* 2 Immature Sponge
* 3 Hydro Hide
* 3 Bughopper

I'll try that though, thanks :)

Poyunch

I haven't been online in a long time. After tomorrow, after one of my very important exams I'm going straight into online. All I've been doing this week is farming godbugs, hunting monsters in Moga Woods, and farming Barioth (I've grown to like this monster despite my horrible first hunt with it).

edit: If anyone has an extra Rusted Sword or one down that line I'd happily take it off your hand. :p

edit 2: wait you can't trade weapons. :lol

Alex said:
I'm more concerned with the Felyne Village game, I really want that too. :lol And it hardly seems like a big priority. It looks like a new Tron Bonne kind of gig, only with MH theming instead of Legends.

I'd love to just play as a Felyne. I think it would be awesome to cling to a Monster Shadow of the Colossus style and stick it in the eye with a gardening implement.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
2nd attempt at Barroth online... much better group, but people still end up getting hurt too much, especially when they have less than 25% health. Game over. Barroth : 2 Me : 0

At least i didn't die once, so i can't blame myself. :lol

Hiltz

What's with the pig ?

I went to "snuggle" with it on the farm and after a couple of seconds it seemed to get angry and ran away from me.

forrest

formerly nacire
AgentOtaku said:
Are you allowed to backup your Tri save to an SD card?
Unfortunately not. I've read Nintendo doesn't allow their online games' save files to SD cards to help curb cheating or altering game files. There are ways around with Homebrew, but it's quite the endeavor to get it all set up and running.

I really wish they would allow it seeing as how cheating in this game kinda defeats the purpose of the game.

Korigama

Hiltz said:
What's with the pig ?

I went to "snuggle" with it on the farm and after a couple of seconds it seemed to get angry and ran away from me.

You have to press A when the exclamation point appears, otherwise it'll run away.

PusherT

OMG just got fighting the alatreon dragon, we made it to 10min left in the fight and I died ending it :(. But man was the fight fun I find alatreon easier then deviljho who seems to have more strength and is bigger. Alatreon has some trick up his sleeve won't spoil him or Deviljho fighting moves and style. Next on my checklist beat Deviljho and Alatreaon:D

Poyunch

Duress said:
Got a Rustshard from the Volcano zone. Turned it into an Ancient Blade. Hope it helps with the Dragon farming. :D
So jealous. The only rustshard I ever found turned out to be a lance. A normal lance at that. I have no uses for lances.

PusherT

Punishing draw or critical draw which is better for my GS? Right now I got Critical eye 2 on my Mutilator blade boosting its 10% affinity to 30% but I'm finding I can't get a good combo in fast enough with GS to garreentee a chance to use that 30% chance for a critical hit. I may just use a Switch axe in the slot my Bough Break "Y" SA would do better anyway with an 15% affinity instead of the 10% my GS does before Critical Eye 2. SA just seem to attack faster and hit more. Critical Draw seems nice my GS does 916 Raw Damage so 100% garuntee of critical hit is nice.

JRPereira

Fought my first two battles against barioth offline today - sliced it to pieces, killed it with ease and quickly each time, but couldn't cut the tail off. Gonna try for captures next - should be easier as the only really menacing attacks it puts out are the ones it does when it goes to die. The fight wasn't nearly as good as I had hoped., I was expecting something more like a naruga - in fact I was playing freedom unite on my psp last morning and fought the first offline naruga (8* urgent cat elder one) and it was a hell of a battle lasting nearly the entire quest's time. I think the naruga music's much better too - it progresses much better and fits the mood of the battle better as well.

PusherT said:
Punishing draw or critical draw which is better for my GS? Right now I got Critical eye 2 on my Mutilator blade boosting its 10% affinity to 30% but I'm finding I can't get a good combo in fast enough with GS to garreentee a chance to use that 30% chance for a critical hit. I may just use a Switch axe in the slot my Bough Break "Y" SA would do better anyway with an 15% affinity instead of the 10% my GS does before Critical Eye 2. SA just seem to attack faster and hit more. Critical Draw seems nice my GS does 916 Raw Damage so 100% garuntee of critical hit is nice.

Answered it yourself. The unsheathe strike is our greatest tool.

Hiltz said:
What's with the pig ?

You have to press the A button when it shows an exclamation mark.

it will either be happy if you timed good, super happy if you timed great or pissed if you timed wrong

PusherT

Gamer @ Heart said:
Answered it yourself. The unsheathe strike is our greatest tool.
Yeah I need to get the Diablos+ armor to get the Critical draw. Trying to get it through gems is hard work. I did the math my GS does 916 with Ccritical draw on I get the critical hit which does Raw Attack x 1.25= your attack. I'm getting 1145 raw dm per critical. I think Critcial Draw even cancel out weapon with negative affinity like those barroth GS which have -50 affinity but super damgae.

Punishing draw does it just cause stun? Do u need to still hit monster in the head or will body hit do the job?

Hiltz

Oh, I see. (about the pig)

According to the Monster Hunter Tri wiki, the Punishing Draw causes the stun effect but only with draw attacks. It doesn't mention anything about having to attack a certain part of a monster's body to get the effect to work.

Well, I got the ancient mask for Cha Cha and unlocked the quests to hunt Rathalos, Diablos and Barioth.

Anyone have have any tips and/or suggestions about which monster to take on first?
Which one is the easiest ? :lol

Dreavus

Sooo... I just spent about 45 mins trying to see if an elite alloy set with an elite jaggi mail swapped out would work well/is possible with decorations. Testing is inconclusive. :lol

Can someone explain to me what the "+pigmentation" means when you're upgrading low rank armor to high rank? I thought it might be cosmetic, but in the preview it looks exactly the same as the forged high rank armor.

Victrix

*beard*
It adds the ability to color each piece of armor individually with something like 12 colors

Incidently, the first upgrade from low to high rank is a massive defense boost, so if you're holding out for a later + rank set but you can upgrade one of your old favorites, do so, it'll save you some pain.

Of course, if your old favorite is a 5* set, welp.

A.CHAP

Banned
Any EU hunters on this afternoon?

Hunter name Josh 8M1FFX. I will be on from 1pm till 6pm working my way up to unlocking 3* quests.

Disguises

Hiltz said:
Well, I got the ancient mask for Cha Cha and unlocked the quests to hunt Rathalos, Diablos and Barioth.

Anyone have have any tips and/or suggestions about which monster to take on first?
Which one is the easiest ? :lol
I'm exactly where you are now. Tried all 3 and I found Rathalos easiest. Damn Barioth is way too fast! Anyone got an tips for the other 2? Also, when are you meant to use the sonic bomb on Diablos? Tried it when he was burrowing underground and while he was underground, neither worked.

ShinNL

Man, playing with PAL GAF sure is awesome :D

Sup Selenae, Faust, Hauer :3

But time flies! So instead of playing today (which will probably end up stopping during midnight) I'll finish that notifier tool so everyone can enjoy playing with GAF members :p

*addict symptoms starting*

evangd007

Disguises said:
I'm exactly where you are now. Tried all 3 and I found Rathalos easiest. Damn Barioth is way too fast! Anyone got an tips for the other 2? Also, when are you meant to use the sonic bomb on Diablos? Tried it when he was burrowing underground and while he was underground, neither worked.

Barioth - go for the wings first. He'll start tripping a bunch when his wings are broken.

Diablos - sonic bomb only works while NOT enraged. Throw when his rattle tail is just entering the ground.

windfish

Soneet said:

But time flies! So instead of playing today (which will probably end up stopping during midnight) I'll finish that notifier tool so everyone can enjoy playing with GAF members :p

oh yeah, man we had such a good run this last night/morning xD
iam not playing today either but i ll be back for the weekend! I can almost smell 5* Quests allready!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is it NPD day today? I'm really curious to see how well the game did. Obviously, it has to be in the top 10, but just how good is the real question.

Oxx

Bisnic said:
Is it NPD day today? I'm really curious to see how well the game did. Obviously, it has to be in the top 10, but just how good is the real question.

I can't see it making the top ten. Most of the huge games from last-month (2x Pokemon, 2x Battlefield, Final Fantasy etc) should hold-over.

Leezard

So I just finished my Helios set. This should be the best armor I can get while offline, right? I probably need to switch the chest with something else so I won't have the Blunt Edge skill (but still have the Sharpness +1 from jewels!).

Remfin

Disguises said:
You know those little dust puffs that pop up when he's moving underground (or periodically in place if he's not)? You have to have a sonic bomb go off near one of those. It's kind of luck-based in my experience since the timing from burrowing->first puffs/time between puffs doesn't seem to be consistent.

It also works on Agnaktor (and maybe others, not really sure--they have uses against Quru and Gobul for instance), but the timing is even more finicky; I was just chucking them around when he was burrowing and got lucky a few times :D

gotee12

Bisnic said:
Is it NPD day today?
I am also flat out curious to see how it did. Especially seeing as how it only 10 days in April to sell. If it places within the top 15, I'd see that as a very successful launch IMHO...

Kyoufu

We farmed Qurupeco G rank for wyvern stones (which don't exist). Demolished it in 3mins each time and managed to make the full + set. Felt good when my defense TRIPLED from the low rank version.

Nicktals

Banned
Kyoufu said:
We farmed Qurupeco G rank for wyvern stones (which don't exist). Demolished it in 3mins each time and managed to make the full + set. Felt good when my defense TRIPLED from the low rank version.

I decided that mystery one that showed up in my pouch must have been from a royal ludroth tail carve.

That was pretty awesome though. I went to empty my pouch before signing off, after playing for several hours of only monsters that would drop a stone, and there it was, right at the bottom. Never noticed it when I carved the tail, but I tend to glance over those notifications after a while.

Only two more to go!

Kyoufu

Nicktals said:
I decided that mystery one that showed up in my pouch must have been from a royal ludroth tail carve.

That was pretty awesome though. I went to empty my pouch before signing off, after playing for several hours of only monsters that would drop a stone, and there it was, right at the bottom. Never noticed it when I carved the tail, but I tend to glance over those notifications after a while.

Only two more to go!

I didn't get a single one! Quite possibly the worst drop rate I have seen in any MH game ever. People think Plates are bad? I have plenty of those... :(

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
gotee12 said:
I am also flat out curious to see how it did. Especially seeing as how it only 10 days in April to sell. If it places within the top 15, I'd see that as a very successful launch IMHO...

Its going to be interesting. On one hand, it was marketed like a title that should do 150K-200K first month.

On the other hand, previous entries in the U.S have only reached a LTD of around 150K.

I suspect it will be a number around 100K or so..which will be decried as a bomb from gaffers with no perspective on the series.

selig

Banned
oh sigh, connection error. every afternoon, just once. has to be my router´s fault, eh. wow, we almost had the ratha :/

Monster Hunter won't make to the Top 10:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Wii Sports Resort
Just Dance
Wii Fit Plus
God of War
Pokémon Heart
Pokémon Silver
Super Street Fighter PS3
Super Street Fighter 360
Final Fantasy PS3
Battlefield 360

See? :'(

Played a little bit of high rank last night. Right now I'm trying to make the Peco+ armor. Gooooooodness do you need a lot of Scales and Wings.

The Def ratings on it are crazy though. After not being very impressed with high rank Jaggi and Peco I though "what do I need that much armor for?". Then Deviljo graces us with his presence....... oh my. Even with my fully upgraded Jehn set, one hit takes off 3/4ths of my entire 140 health bar.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Played a little bit of high rank last night. Right now I'm trying to make the Peco+ armor. Gooooooodness do you need a lot of Scales and Wings.

The Def ratings on it are crazy though. After not being very impressed with high rank Jaggi and Peco I though "what do I need that much armor for?". Then Deviljo graces us with his presence....... oh my. Even with my fully upgraded Jehn set, one hit takes off 3/4ths of my entire 140 health bar.

Oh yes. Even with my 450-ish DEF, Joe can tear me up if I'm not careful. He's a beast.

Neo C.

Soneet said:
Unfortunately, you guys are miles away in terms of fight power. I'm still around 12 HR or so.

Anyway, played with some Gaffers and killed the Barroth quite effectively. Take this, mudheat! >:)

Kyoufu

schuelma said:
Its going to be interesting. On one hand, it was marketed like a title that should do 150K-200K first month.

On the other hand, previous entries in the U.S have only reached a LTD of around 150K.

I suspect it will be a number around 100K or so..which will be decried as a bomb from gaffers with no perspective on the series.

It is pretty frustrating when my favourite franchise does so poorly in the west. Thank God at least Japan ackowledges the greatness of MonHun.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:

I suspect that the dragon element on your Jehn set is contributing a great deal to the damage Joe is doing. On a not quite fully upgraded low rank hunter armor set, I was seeing about a third of my 130 health bar taken off from a hit.

Many of the armor sets with huge amounts of defense also have huge amounts of dragon element weakness.

Soneet said:

Heyho, Shin! :p

I wont play today either. Feels like I'm a tiny little bit burned out on the game and need to take a day off or something.

Haunted

Kyoufu said:
Will give away anal virginity for the peddler to sell thunderbugs.
Got mine from the Argus captain in SP.

edit: Although I think I also stocked up on Thunderbugs, Raw Meat and Spider Webs during the sandstorm. Spent half my money on this stuff. :p

Boney

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I didn't get a single one! Quite possibly the worst drop rate I have seen in any MH game ever. People think Plates are bad? I have plenty of those... :(
11041895759732qc.gif

Haunted

Kyoufu said:
Yeah but I don't have resources to stock up on 400+ of them offline!

I need to buy them on mass.
Dividing my time equally between online and offline was pretty much perfect for keeping my stocks high. :D

Lance Bone Path said:
I suspect that the dragon element on your Jehn set is contributing a great deal to the damage Joe is doing.
Actually that is something I've always been confused about in the MH series.

Take a dragon monster like Deviljo. Are ALL his attacks of dragon element or just his breath attack?

I ask because I've always thought things like "who cares if I have -30 fire res, Rathalos never hits me with fireballs anyways" and therefore considered most elemental resistances near-useless.

Top Bottom