• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Alex

Bisnic said:
I'm just trying to do better against him offline before having poor players online dealing with my "noobiness", so no gunners. It helped me a lot in fighting that urgent quest for Barroth and it will also help me a lot when the time come for me to fight Rathian too since i spent so much time farming that 1 Rathian Plate.

I need some Amber Tusks to make some pieces of the Barioth set, does that mean i need to wound its head??? Damn, it's already hard enough to hit him on the sides, can't believe how it is to aim at the head.

Gotta break his tusks off for those to drop.

If you're struggling just bring some traps and flash bombs to help you out. Also make sure to do lots of hit and runs or shield advances when solo, depending on what youre using.

mclem

Good hunts tonight. Sorry I had to vanish quickly after the first part but Ashes to Ashes was just beginning and I didn't want to miss any!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Speaking of traps, there's nothing i hate more than setting a trap before attacking a boss, and seeing him fly away to another zone right when i was ready to bring him to the trap. You never know when that boss might come back to the zone with your trap. :(

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Bisnic said:
Speaking of traps, there's nothing i hate more than setting a trap before attacking a boss, and seeing him fly away to another zone right when i was ready to bring him to the trap. You never know when that boss might come back to the zone with your trap. :(
I have learned to put traps down only when entering a new Zone :(

Well I thought I would just play a quick burst of single player tonight. I failed the quest mating season(Rathian+Rathalos) a while ago because time ran out and decided to give it another go. Mating season of the Rath would prove to be a bloody one this year. I made Rathalos kill Rathian. :lol

Yes, he had the pleasure of murdering his own girlfriend in attempts to kill me. I had weakened Rathian quite a bit but the ol' girl wasn't even limping yet. We were fighting on the nest area of D. Island when Rathalos showed up for a 3rd or 4th time. I was content for a while just running around getting my shots in here and there. I got fed up of his interference soon enough though. Noticing they hurt each other on occasion just running around, I thought I would experiment a little. I tucked myself over by the ledge that leads to the water area and just left up my guard. Rathian stayed up front close to me and Los right behind her. I would almost feel sorry for Rathian if it wasn't for the delicious humor of Rathalos doing all my dirty work for me.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Damn! This game just keeps getting better and better! I just captured my first monster, the Great Jaggi. What a rush that was! The first time, I accidentally killed him because I was just swinging away and not watching for him to limp. The second attempt I accidentally died :D . Finally, 3rd times the charm, he moseys into my shock trap and 2 tranq bombs later I had him.

I started messing with the Lance weapon (had been using SnS since I started). It kills things so quickly compared to my Commander's Dagger. Just using the Iron Lance+ right now, but I have the stuff to make it a Thane Lance, figure I'll do that soon.

Really loving this game! I'm ~8 hours into it (only get an hour or so per night, thanks to work and family, alas).

Poyunch

Today's been dead so far for me. I might be on later but I was hoping for some quick quests now before I get busy in an hour. Oh well. :p

edit: nvm I started a room and it's almost full. :lol

Eteric Rice

PounchEnvy said:
Today's been dead so far for me. I might be on later but I was hoping for some quick quests now before I get busy in an hour. Oh well. :p

edit: nvm I started a room and it's almost full. :lol

Damn, lucky. I tried to get a Lugi group together but no luck. Need that bastard's horn and I'll have his full set.

Wonder what I should decorate it with?... I'm using Long Sword and Mace right now.

Hiltz

I fought Barioth earlier today and found him to be one of the easiest monsters. Although, I was using a long sword which made it very easy to keep up with Barioth leaping around.

The only fairly annoying thing was luring Barioth into my pitfall and shock traps. He'll stare straight at me and then do that leap move away from the traps almost moving like a bishop in chess. I was like "Over here stupid cat!"

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I made a nice gathering set today

All leather armor + 2 slot lance and decor for fishing +10 =

Gathering + 2
Divine Whim
Fishing Expert
Speed Gatherer
Farsight

I wanna exchange Farsight for Transportr, but I need the altaroth jaws for my banahabra suit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hiltz said:
I fought Barioth earlier today and found him to be one of the easiest monsters. Although, I was using a long sword which made it very easy to keep up with Barioth leaping around.

The only fairly annoying thing was luring Barioth into my pitfall and shock traps. He'll stare straight at me and then do that leap move away from the traps almost moving like a bishop in chess. I was like "Over here stupid cat!"

I'm also using a Long sword.. a fire one at that. The Wyvern Blade "Fire". It should be strong against him. Yet, I can only hit him once or twice before having to dodge, because you never know when its fangs or tail might hit you in the middle of a swing. =/ Rarely have a chance to use a long sword spirit combo unless he gets caught in my traps. I always die at least once or twice because of some stupid stun at 20% hp, then his next attack kills me, blah. Rathian is a joke compared to him. I can manage to kill him, but not after using all my first aid kits(even those from sub rewards) and half my mega potions after a 30-40 mins fight. ;(

oh god. i've had this just over a week and bust over the 100 hour mark last night and hit HR29 to boot. it's seriously too good and i'm not sure my old launch wii can cope :lol

my only complaint is how difficult it can be to meet up with friends all in the same room.

Hiltz

Bisnic said:
I'm also using a Long sword.. a fire one at that. The Wyvern Blade "Fire". It should be strong against him. Yet, I can only hit him once or twice before having to dodge, because you never know when its fangs or tail might hit you in the middle of a swing. =/ Rarely have a chance to use a long sword spirit combo unless he gets caught in my traps. I always die at least once or twice because of some stupid stun at 20% hp, then his next attack kills me, blah. Rathian is a joke compared to him. I can manage to kill him, but not after using all my first aid kits(even those from sub rewards) and half my mega potions after a 30-40 mins fight. ;(

My general strategy was to wait for Barioth to come to me. This was because he usually likes to perform 2-3 leap attacks which allows him to quickly move around the area.

I usually kept my weapon in its sheath until Barioth would do his leap attack 2-3 times. As he is about to land, I would take the weapon out and press X followed by a spirit combo in attempt to hit him 1-2 times with it.

I found that it was usually safe to attack Barioth's wings from behind or from the side. I broke his wings first so that he would move slower. Then I stayed to the side of his head and do 1-2 hits before moving away (standing in front usually resulted in him leaping or running into me). He rarely uses his tail swipe which hit me twice. He hit me three times with his windy twister attack but that was easy to dodge as long as you don't face Barioth's face.

I got a bunch of hits on him when he occasionally stopped moving and just stood there for about four to five seconds before starting to move again.

Poyunch

Left my room for an hour and when I returned it was full. I knew that was going to happen. Anyway I decided to solo some quests online since I had the opportunity. I did the Powderstone quest twice, the first actually completing and the second with just the subquest.

I'm now a firm believer of Piggie luck. The second time I decided to pet my Pig for some luck and when I did the quest I finally got a Rusted Sword and some mats I actually needed.

Anyway which Tough Break should I upgrade to?

Hiltz

PounchEnvy said:
Left my room for an hour and when I returned it was full. I knew that was going to happen. Anyway I decided to solo some quests online since I had the opportunity. I did the Powderstone quest twice, the first actually completing and the second with just the subquest.

I'm now a firm believer of Piggie luck. The second time I decided to pet my Pig for some luck and when I did the quest I finally got a Rusted Sword and some mats I actually needed.

Anyway which Tough Break should I upgrade to?

Is there anything special about the rusted sword? I have two which I got from mining ore in the volcano area. Unfortunately, I am not a Great Sword user. I prefer to use the Switch Axe and Long sword instead.

I'd probably try to go for the Tough Break version that does something like 810 damage and comes with an attack bonus as well as two decoration slots. If I remember correctly, it is the hardest one to get since it requires 4 Diablos shells (as far as monster carvings go). Then there's a second version that does 756 damage but has has three slots and offers affinity. I think this second one is easier to get since you only need 4 Rathian shells. The third tough break switch axe only requires 4 Gobul hides if I'm not mistaken. However, it only does 756 damage and has no affinity and no extra slots.

I'm just guessing that the Tough Break switch axe with the attack bonus may be the best one. However, I do not know exactly how much of an attack damage boost it does.

Hiltz said:
I'd probably try to go for the Tough Break version that does something like 810 damage and comes with an attack bonus as well as two decoration slots. If I remember correctly, it is the hardest one to get since it requires 4 Diablos shells (as far as monster carvings go). Then there's a second version that does 756 damage but has has three slots and offers affinity. I think this second one is easier to get since you only need 4 Rathian shells. The third tough break switch axe only requires 4 Gobul hides if I'm not mistaken. However, it only does 756 damage and has no affinity and no extra slots.

I'm just guessing that the Tough Break switch axe with the attack bonus may be the best one. However, I do not know exactly how much of an attack damage boost it does.

second tier tough breaks are:

1. damage boost, no extra slots
2. extra slot
3. +15% affinity

i've just made the affinity one and it's working out good so far, much improved on the standard.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
Is there anything special about the rusted sword? I have two which I got from mining ore in the volcano area. Unfortunately, I am not a Great Sword user. I prefer to use the Switch Axe and Long sword instead.

Rusted Weapons when upgraded become Dragon Attribute weapons. It's great against some monsters.

edit: Oh and what I meant by Rusted Sword was Rusted SnS. My secondary weapon is the SnS and since there are no rust SAs I was extremely happy to get a rust SnS on my third rust thing mined.

edit 2: Dude someone made a Barroth room and I'd gladly help that member but could you please put remove the limit on the skill level? It won't let me in because I'm too high.

Van Owen

Banned
Ugh, ok, just had ANOTHER hard lock-up. Is there something wrong with my Wii's disc drive, or the disc itself? This is annoying the piss out of me.

pakkit

Banned
Van Owen said:
Ugh, ok, just had ANOTHER hard lock-up. Is there something wrong with my Wii's disc drive, or the disc itself? This is annoying the piss out of me.
See if it happens with other games.

PusherT

Finaly beat Alatreon not once but twice:D He hard but not impossible alatreon doesn't have alot of HP compared to Rathalos or Urraggaan but he a full 40min boos fight. I fought him 4 time now won 2 and lost 2 and all 4 time the fight went 45min+. He moves alot even on the ground he moves. I find that flash bombs when he hover work to drop him and tun him back to "ground" mode were he does the charges and fireball. Hunting horn is effective too when on the ground to make him get "stuck" won't spoil it. I got 299 armor def we just hit 2 time and roll off repeat. You need atleast 5 cool drinks for that battle. But when you win you get HR 51 and you get Alatreon material. He has 6x body carves too when hes dead.:D :D

shahkur

Gotta give a shout out to all Euro Gaf players. Matthios, Josh, Azuma... Some others. Y'all are some good players. I'm gonna try my best to catchup.:D

Nicktals

Banned
sprsk said:
Anyone? 2 slots left...

full.

Isn't the GAF server normally Wisdom 1 -> city gate 40?

EDIT: Anyone planning on leaving soon there? Worth waiting?

EDIT 2: Okay, guess not. So I went ahead and created a city in Wisdom 1 -> city gate 40 -> city 1

Top Bottom