• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Poyunch

mclem said:
Wii Speak *itself* is fine; people who've used it in other products (Wii Speak channel, Animal Crossing) say that it's clear enough to be usable. It's just this, for some reason, gives very poor audio through it.
The Conduit was pretty bad as well.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Think i finally found a good weapon for Barioth. The Djinn SnS is pretty good with its fire element(with the Lagi armor set, its even better) and being able to block its quick attacks where a dodge wouldn't work is great.

Apenheul

Today was a good day, completed my Lagia-set (needed two horns for that), fought Urugaan and Diablos at the same time and did a couple of Jhen Mohran hunts.

Ridley327

Great, great, great questing, Nayishiki/ACE/DragonGirl. We rolled over a lot of guys real quick-like and made tons of progress. I'm sure Los feels inadequate that it took us twice as long to kill Gigginox than he ever could manage. :lol

Hiltz

Can someone help clarify something for me ? Please forgive my ignorance despite looking through the game's instruction manual.

Is it true that you can only use Wii Speak to talk to other players in Monster Hunter Tri's online mode by registering their online Monster Hunter ID ?

Also, how do you actually go about registering another player ?

Kyoufu

Hiltz said:
Can someone help clarify something for me ? Please forgive my ignorance despite looking through the game's instruction manual.

Is it true that you can only use Wii Speak to talk to other players in Monster Hunter Tri's online mode by registering their online Monster Hunter ID ?

Send a message to them with Friend Request as "yes".

Ridley327

Hiltz said:

1. It's true; you can only talk to people if they're registered on your friend's list

2. As long as they're online and not in a quest, you can send a message to them with a friend request.

So FF XIII took me a little longer then I thought it would. Ready to jump into this though. I played the demo, and bought the game, but am only in two- three hours or so. Haven't even done a proper hunt yet.

Looking forward to losing days to this one.

Boney

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Great, great, great questing, Nayishiki/ACE/DragonGirl. We rolled over a lot of guys real quick-like and made tons of progress. I'm sure Los feels inadequate that it took us twice as long to kill Gigginox than he ever could manage. :lol
Yeah they were awesome. We sure did some damage! You missed my new sword though!

Ridley327 said:

Yeah, that was a good run and I finally hit HR 30. But if you see me online tomorrow tell me to get offline and take care of all the meatspace stuff I've been putting off.

Sleep Effect weapons might just be a complete waste online. For the life of me, I cannot get people to stop attacking and let me plant barrels before they wake a monster up with a weak mid-combo swipe. I was having fun poking everything to sleep with a Great Azure Lance for a short while.

Hey, Rusted GS Get. 'Bout damned time.

Nayishiki

Ridley327 said:

Yeah great hunts. I got a lot of good stuff from all of it.

I wish I had never played this blasted game. What a load of shit...horse shit to be exact.
It's too addicting and fun...and I have to work in the morning but I can't stop. I just need to do one more quest and Ill put it down...just one more. Lord I hate this damn game for making me do this :^/

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Ok so run through some examples with me.

I fight Barioth and he does that aggravating multi-lunge hop and plows me over. Is that blunt physical damage or ice damage?

I fight Diablos and he hits me with his new leap out and claw attack, is that dragon element since it's a claw?

I fight Deviljo and he tail swipes me. Was that a dragon elemental attack?

I fight Jehn and he launches his rocks at me, is that dragon element?

Some things like a Rathalos fireball are common sense, but a majority of the attacks I'm hit with are not to me.
Barioth - Tail and breath = ice element
Diablos - All raw damage
Joe- Only Breath = dragon element
Jehn = All attacks are dragon element except the roar and the earthquake.

PusherT said:
Deviljho breath attack and Alatreon charge are defintly dragon attack. Deviljho's drool is real nasty it drops your def rating by 60.
Bring some defense seed to counter it.

FootNinja said:
Pro tip- Fck you alatreon
Protip - The japanese record to slay it is 40sec or simply 'kick' it to death.

Shark lance and jacket is now available in event quest.

Dam just back from Bangkok, its a fucking warzone there, am lucky to make it back alive:lol

Hiltz

What are some of the armor skills have you guys found to be most useful ?

I've only tried out a couple of them so far, with the top four being the most useful.

Wind Proof = wind from monster wings doesn't temporarily impede your movement

Ear Plugs = monster roar has no effect on you

Lasting Power = increases the amount of time item effects will remain activated

Perception = Informs you when a monster is able to be captured

Auto Block = It seems to randomly & automatically block some monster attacks
(only works with weapons that allow you to block with)

Health increase = + 20,+50 health

Halve Stun = Lets you recover faster from being stunned

Mardak

Wow. Have I learned my lesson.

I just completed the single player Mating Season quest (Hunt Rathian and Rathalos). The first time I use my default weapon, Blazing Falchion (SnS 238/440 fire), and I time out as Rathalos lands in my pitfall trap. The second time I use Cataclysm Blade (GS 768/450 water), and I finish in under 20 minutes.

Always bring the right weapon to battle.

(Is there a trick to hitting the raths with a sword and shield? They stand so high up from the ground sometimes. And it's hard to knock them from the air even with a jumping attack. When I used Jhen's long sword, I always smiled when rathalos fell from the air after two overhead X attacks.)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
OK guys I've played the single player for 5 hours and I don't even understand most posts in the past few pages of this thread. How do you guys learn all this stuff? Is there some common resource you guys read or do you pick everything up as you go along?

(from the sounds of it thunderbugs are real sought after? why? are they usually hard to get and do they make shock traps or something? I think my commodities dude is selling them atm...)

When is a good time to jump online? I'm too noobish to play with anyone right now. Me and my brother struggle to finish the first 3 arena missions :lol

Speaking of arena missions, how do we unlock the other missions?

kaizoku said:
OK guys I've played the single player for 5 hours and I don't even understand most posts in the past few pages of this thread. How do you guys learn all this stuff? Is there some common resource you guys read or do you pick everything up as you go along?

(from the sounds of it thunderbugs are real sought after? why? are they usually hard to get and do they make shock traps or something? I think my commodities dude is selling them atm...)

When is a good time to jump online? I'm too noobish to play with anyone right now. Me and my brother struggle to finish the first 3 arena missions :lol

Arena missions are generally harder as you get rubbish armour and weapons so your probably better than 50% of the people online lol

john tv

Anyone up for helping with my HR 30 Jhen urgent? We have one slot open, and I definitely don't want to attempt it without a full team.

Come join if so! Need to be HR 27 or up, I think.

Actually we need two. Anyone? :)

Tenbatsu

Thanks a lot Sammy Samusu, I got plenty more to share too, majority of them under 3mins.

Luigiv said:
WTF? How damn powerful were those bombs? Isn't Alatreon suppose to have like 10,000 HP?
Can't remember the exact figures, but Bombardier + Felyne Pyro + Stun/Sleep = no joke

kaizoku said:
After you slay the respective monster offline.

selig

Banned
Haha, is today girls-day? :D Meet two female hunters online in a row, usually you hardly see any females.

Beat my first Barioth today, and then the second right afterswards, yay. Guess my next big goal is beating the Uragaan.

This tube upload isn't mine, I just searched for "アルバトリオン 0:45". :D

Did the same with the kick video but it seems they didn't uploaded this one to Youtube.

EDIT: Had a great time playing with sprks, john and bone path! Thanks guys.

Kyoufu

Ehh...you can really kill Alatreon in 45 seconds? Was that a fresh run or did the health carry over?

I know in MHP2G you could use heroics + bombardier + sleep to 1-2 hit kill some monsters.

HR31 now and al I could think of is
319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

Ive got to kill the same scrub enemy's to get armour that is identical to the first set apart from skills/armour oh but wait it takes like 4x as many mats!!

MHF2/2g has spoiled me!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I finished up 2-star offline quests and started my foray into the online world. Quick question: Can I do things like the 1-star online quests solo? I started the gather shrooms one but you have to get like 14 of 'em, and I wasn't sure how fast the mushroom gather spots respawn...

Archon

Adeleine and I just had the MOST EPIC 2 barroth event quest fight ever.

It went on for 40 minutes but the both of us danced with the 2 barroths like pros, neither of us died or ever came close. It was amazing like we had know each other's moves or something. Just unbelievable.

...and then we accidentally killed the second barroth who was just HUGE. He wasn't even limping and we had only been beating on him for a few minutes. Oh, what a blow to the ego.

But still. That was perhaps the BEST time I've ever had in this game, even from playing over 200 hours on MHFU. Thanks Adeleine for that.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Diseased Yak said:
So I finished up 2-star offline quests and started my foray into the online world. Quick question: Can I do things like the 1-star online quests solo? I started the gather shrooms one but you have to get like 14 of 'em, and I wasn't sure how fast the mushroom gather spots respawn...
Theoretically, you can do all the quests solo.

Archon

Followup!

Just did the 2 barroth with Jason and Pancho in tow too (along with Aledeine) and man it was great. That quest just feels so..big and awesome. That time we did it much better with Pancho's Perception ability. Both were perfect caps and everyone moved like butter.

I'm going to have to go online again later, I need to feel that again. :D

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Johnlenham said:
HR31 now and al I could think of is
319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

Ive got to kill the same scrub enemy's to get armour that is identical to the first set apart from skills/armour oh but wait it takes like 4x as many mats!!

MHF2/2g has spoiled me!

Yeah, I almost quit at that point.

And on the subject of bombing...I've never really been a fan of bombing, but I've got Uragaan+ armor right now, and it has Bombadier. And it's almost time for me to face Alatreon for the first time.

Guess I should learn to bomb soon, eh? :lol

Teknoman

FINALLY done with that damn powderstone quest! Its like everything in the world wants to eat you after delivering the first stone.

Top Bottom