• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

_tetsuo_ said:
Sooooo...... what's the best way to trigger bombs :lol

I ignite them with my strongest ammo type(usually Crag/Explosive). Setting them off is not the problem though. It's informing people not to hack away when I put one to sleep. When the music and monster stops, freeze where you're standing. You're friendly neighborhood gunner went through the trouble of putting him to sleep, relax for a second and see what he/she wants to do.

Haunted

Johnlenham said:
HR31 now and al I could think of is
319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

Ive got to kill the same scrub enemy's to get armour that is identical to the first set apart from skills/armour oh but wait it takes like 4x as many mats!!
Yeah, exactly my thoughts. I stopped playing shortly after.

Looking forward to the next iteration with new content, though. :)

Duress

I need lagi horns and I can't hit his head for the life of me when I'm in the water.

Also built a Shadow Sabre, the one with the poison. It doesn't give the poison effect as much I thought it would. I'm kind of regretting the investment.

ShinNL

Fistwell said:
Good games, guys. Ian+los was fun!!
Sure was! But I might have to abandon my favorite support weapon (SnS) and switch to an offensive Lance regular from now on, seeing how I died 3 times with an SnS.... T______T

But gawd do I love the Tri Lance counter move <3~

Hiltz

kaizoku said:
OK guys I've played the single player for 5 hours and I don't even understand most posts in the past few pages of this thread. How do you guys learn all this stuff? Is there some common resource you guys read or do you pick everything up as you go along?

(from the sounds of it thunderbugs are real sought after? why? are they usually hard to get and do they make shock traps or something? I think my commodities dude is selling them atm...)

When is a good time to jump online? I'm too noobish to play with anyone right now. Me and my brother struggle to finish the first 3 arena missions :lol

Speaking of arena missions, how do we unlock the other missions?

Thunder Bugs are important because they are part of the material needed to make a shock trap (the other material needed is trap tool which you can buy at the Moga village shop on the left side). You can catch thunder bugs in the wild with bugnets but they're not as easy to find when compared to other bugs you can catch. In addition, thunder bugs are some of the few types of bugs that you cannot make multiple copies of at the Moga village farm.

The easiest way to get a lot of thunder bugs is to into the online mode and buy as many as you want from a shop being run by a little boy npc ( his shop is next to a npc fat lady's shop near the entrance to the city). However, it seems like you can only do this every three days as the shop does not sell them all the time. So it seems like you'll have to wait another 3 days until the online shop will offer thunder bugs again.

You can also trade certain items in exchange for thunder bugs from the Moga Village npc sea captain trader.

At first, you kind of have to start figuring out things on your own in terms of what items can be combined together to form new items. However, there's two very useful ways to figure out what two items you can use to combine with. First, you can use the combo list (press - button if your using the classic controller pro) and scroll down to combo list. You can enter in the combination information of a specific item. That way, if you happen to forget what two items can be combined to form a specific new item, then the combo list will show you the two necessary items you'll need to combine.

Another easy way to figure out item combinations is to go inside your home (in the Moga village tent) and go to the chest. Click on combination and you can choose one item from your inventory and then the chest will highlight all of the other possible second items you can use with the first item you selected to combine with. All of the incompatible items will be darkend.

heringer

Just killed Rathian offline for the first time. She's so much fun to hunt. :D

Too bad I fainted twice. It feels cheap to kill a monster after faint. :lol

Are there any Euro-GAF members up for hunting Diablos and possibly Capturing Uragaan tomorrow evening ? (Rank 18+)
Of course once it's done, we can do other quests too!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any way to break Uragaan jaw? I've tried with a hammer like some people said, but my weapon still bounce all the time on its jaw. I gave up, and went with a water lance and just attacked his feet until he died.

Btw, hammer range sucks ass. Really.

Ryuuga

Banned
Bisnic said:
Is there any way to break Uragaan jaw? I've tried with a hammer like some people said, but my weapon still bounce all the time on its jaw. I gave up, and went with a water lance and just attacked his feet until he died.

Btw, hammer range sucks ass. Really.

Yeah, hammer is most useful in this situation. If you don't want the hammer to bounce off his jaw then you have to use the hammer's stationary charge attack. If timed right, you should be able to stun him quite easily giving you more opportunity to smack away at his jaw until it eventually breaks. Personally, I stuck with my switchaxe because the sword mode has ESP and never bounces off unless the sharpness level reduces.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tekno, as long as you see my name in this thread, I wouldn't worry about getting left behind. I can't even play again until Thursday :p

Boney

Banned
Guys my brother took control of the game again so, it'll be a while before I get on again. It's fascinating he's getting hooked at this game, because he doesn't play much.

_bluemoon

Just need a couple of rathalos plates to complete my armour set. I've heard they are really hard to get. Is it worth the hassle? My setup is alright now, just means I could have a medium attack bonus instead of a small attack bonus skill. Anyone got a couple they want to sell to me? :lol

Boney

Banned
_bluemoon said:
Just need a couple of rathalos plates to complete my armour set. I've heard they are really hard to get. Is it worth the hassle? My setup is alright now, just means I could have a medium attack bonus instead of a small attack bonus skill. Anyone got a couple they want to sell to me? :lol
GHAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Sammy Samusu said:
I'm about to give up on Worn Great Sword, today was the third day searching for it. *sigh*

That's the one from the Ancient Shard, right?

Yeah, I'd love to have that too. Got the Worn Lance, but I'm not a lance user for the most part.

I did get the Rusted GS, and upgraded it to the Ancient Blade. Such an awesome sword.

Kad5

So what is considered to be top-tier armor in the game?

I know Quropecco armor is one of them.

Personally i'm going to get all quropecco armor except for ludroth greaves. Then im going to add attack jewels so I have Attack up and Defense Up.

SleazyC

Has anyone transfered saves between HBC'd Wiis?

I bought a black Wii last weekend without even checking to see if saves could be transferred on SD cards between Wiis so I am feeling like I just shot myself in the foot. Emailed Nintendo but pretty sure that won't go anywhere so I'm left with transferring my save via HBC.

Anyone know if you can transfer your save and revert your Wii back to its original state without any problems?

Bisnic

Beated the Ceadeus offline.

Holy shit that thing is HUGE. It was hard trying to hit its horns with such a huge body moving around + not so great underwater controls. Thank god he stays wounded even if you fail the repel urgent quest.

Poyunch

Bisnic said:
Beated the Ceadeus offline.

Holy shit that thing is HUGE. It was hard trying to hit its horns with such a huge body moving around + not so great underwater controls. Thank god he stays wounded even if you fail the repel urgent quest.
What a coincidence because I did the same as well. I'm going to have farm it so many times for the SnS and SA weapons.

Bisnic

PounchEnvy said:
What a coincidence because I did the same as well. I'm going to have farm it so many times for the SnS and SA weapons.

Yes, but they look awesome at least! Same with the armor set.

Why, oh why, does it have to be an underwater fight only. :(

Boney

Banned
_bluemoon said:
Hmmm. You make a good point.

I might just stick with what I have.
Well it really comes to luck at the end of it. I have 4 Rathalos rubies, but still only 1 plate. Some people don't have the same bad luck as me.

Anyway, jumping online, anybody wanna join?

You know what i hate about this game? It isnt dying twice on Diablos, not spending 45 minutes on him, not using all my healing items, but the damn Cha-cha getting the final hit.
-_-

Bisnic

I just saw the new urgent quests you get after beating Cealeus...

Are you kidding me?

Hunting 2 Barioths? 2 Diablos? Agnaktor & Uragaan?

How am i supposed to beat 2 of them in 50 mins all by myself unless i'm overgeared with high rank weapons/armors?

Nimyh

Banned
Am I doing something wrong or is the Royal Ludroth a particularly uninteresting monster to fight? I just bashed its until it died, it wasn't even difficult, just mildly inconvenient..
sonicspear64 said:
Man I'm like HR 6 and I just got to the Lagiacrus in single player. :lol
Man I'm like HR5 and I just got to the Barroth in single player. :lol

oracrest

Haunted said:
Yeah, exactly my thoughts. I stopped playing shortly after.

Looking forward to the next iteration with new content, though. :)

There is a second run of the same creatures, but
you also get to fight a new round of enemies afterwards. The really big guns
aren't until you reach the end.

I'll even help you get there if your having doubts.

Van Owen

Banned
Ugh, I CANNOT for the life of me find a team to take down Uragaan. Me and two other guys just made a go at it. One guy dies twice, and then later in the game the other one quits. We were almost out of time when I died after using my last potion. FUCKKKKK. :(

I really wish they allowed more people in the city because it's so hard to jump into a game without setting it up first online when every room is full, has people that are to low HR, or is just 2-3 people questing separately.

_bluemoon

Boney said:
Well it really comes to luck at the end of it. I have 4 Rathalos rubies, but still only 1 plate. Some people don't have the same bad luck as me.

Anyway, jumping online, anybody wanna join?

I've already spent too much time playing this game. Not really in the mood for a 10 hour farming session. Maybe I'll just keep doing Rathalos to HR grind to the next set of quests. If I get them great, if not, no loss.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Bisnic said:
I just saw the new urgent quests you get after beating Cealeus...

Are you kidding me?

Hunting 2 Barioths? 2 Diablos? Agnaktor & Uragaan?

How am i supposed to beat 2 of them in 50 mins all by myself unless i'm overgeared with high rank weapons/armors?
The monsters in the two monster hunt quests always have far less HP than quests involving only killing one. And of course, you're going to want to employ common sense. Only fight one of them at a time. If both of them end up in the same zone, run to another and wait for the other to split. You're probably going to want to use sleeping weapons/bomb tactics. That's how I farmed Dual Rajangs back in MH2. In all honesty, at this point in the game, the time should be your biggest worry, not the actual monsters, though having to fight dual Diablos is always a pain since they rage so often.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The Sharq event quest is totally epic. You're camping the Sharq entrance and then you see the Royal Ludroth coming your way through the tunnel... :lol

Luigiv

W00T after 4 successful Gigginox "breaks" I've finally got my Fearsome Maw! With that my OCD will finally let me move on with the Quest progression.

Nicktals

Banned
Luigiv said:
W00T after 4 successful Gigginox "breaks" I've finally got my Fearsome Maw! With that my OCD will finally let me move on with the Quest progression.

This is NOT a good game for someone with collection OCD to play!

On a completely unrelated note, the Deep Dragongem doesn't exist, and is just a mean joke by capcom, right?

d0c_zaius

oracrest said:
There is a second run of the same creatures, but
you also get to fight a new round of enemies afterwards. The really big guns
aren't until you reach the end.

I'll even help you get there if your having doubts.

I'm 41 and am having doubts Im going to get to 51 to see the final set.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Still mining Qurupecos for Flintstones - I want that damn Plume Flint!.
Haven't had a drop after a few kills even after smashing up their wingtips consistently. Will try capturing tonight :(

L00P

Gah. I can't beat Barioth with the switch axe without him doing major damage to me. Every time I tried I always use up all my healing items. I just can't dodge those swipes. And now I hear there's a quest where there are two of them. Ugh. He's so freakin' easy with the lance, though. Then again, EVERYTHING is easy with the lance:lol

I also fought Diablos for the first time. It's like Barroth Sr.:lol

Bisnic

L00P said:
Gah. I can't beat Barioth with the switch axe without him doing major damage to me. Every time I tried I always use up all my healing items. I just can't dodge those swipes. And now I hear there's a quest where there are two of them. Ugh. He's so freakin' easy with the lance, though. Then again, EVERYTHING is easy with the lance:lol

I also fought Diablos for the first time. It's like Barroth Sr.:lol

I dunno, i tried fighting Uragaan with the best water lance i could make, and you move so slow with your weapon unsheathed and dodging sucks with that weapon. I try to dodge by rolling forward, but the retard does a sidestep to the right? I stop counting the number of times i got hit because of that. If i have to use a weapon that can block, i rather use a SnS, much faster & easier to move around with it.

Barioth is much easier for me with the a fire SnS than a fire LS. Blocking works better than dodging against him. For me at least.

I think the next time i'll try to fight Uragaan, i'll bring a water SnS or LS before a water Lance. :lol

I just killed 3 alatreons with an amazing group. Going on 4th now. I feel so lucky.

One guy killed 85 alatreons and got 5 skiebreakers ir whatever. I hit one on my first. So good.

L00P

Bisnic said:
I dunno, i tried fighting Uragaan with the best water lance i could make, and you move so slow with your weapon unsheathed and dodging sucks with that weapon. I try to dodge by rolling forward, but the retard does a sidestep to the right? I stop counting the number of times i got hit because of that. If i have to use a weapon that can block, i rather use a SnS, much faster & easier to move around with it.

Barioth is much easier for me with the a fire SnS than a fire LS. Blocking works better than dodging against him. For me at least.

I think the next time i'll try to fight Uragaan, i'll bring a water SnS. :lol

Ever tried parrying? The lance's way of rolling forward. And yes, dodging sucks. I hear you can dodge better with a skill on, but blocking and parrying is your best buddy. Parrying is really awesome, because it negates the stamina loss you get from blocking an attack normally. Parrying Barroth's or Diablos' ram attack head-on feels very satisfying:D

Dreavus

Nicktals said:
This is NOT a good game for someone with collection OCD to play!

On a completely unrelated note, the Deep Dragongem doesn't exist, and is just a mean joke by capcom, right?

You are going to hate me, but I managed to get one off of my first repel-then-kill and a second one when I did the quest again. Haven't fought him since.

Low drop rates can become such a huge annoyance. I have something like 4 rathian plates that I'm not even interested in using; in fact, I didn't even know they were such a bitch to find until I saw people talking about it on here. On the other hand, getting myself a fearsome maw took an ridiculously long time, and I'm almost HR 40 and have not even seen a wyvern stone.

Top Bottom