• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I just found out today that female characters armor looks completely different than males :eek:. I'm wearing a full rhenoplos set and my girlfriend started playing today. Well she wanted the set as well so when she unlocked it at the shop she previewed the helm. Instead of the cage looking helm hers looked like a teddy bear. That's a very nice touch.

On a side note, I'm 50 hours in and this is easily one of the best games this generation.

Leezard

Nicktals said:
This is NOT a good game for someone with collection OCD to play!

On a completely unrelated note, the Deep Dragongem doesn't exist, and is just a mean joke by capcom, right?
I got the Deep Dragongem on my first non-story repel of ceadeus. Though I soon realized the chest armor was the worst piece of the set when I wanted sharpness+1. :(

Tenbatsu

Leezard said:
I got the Deep Dragongem on my first non-story repel of ceadeus. Though I soon realized the chest armor was the worst piece of the set when I wanted sharpness+1. :(
The G version chest is the best for Sharpness +1 (Handicraft +5)

Haunted

I got two Deep Dragongems on my second Ceadeus run. That Earth Dragongem, though.... *shakes fist*

oracrest said:
There is a second run of the same creatures, but
you also get to fight a new round of enemies afterwards. The really big guns
aren't until you reach the end.

I'll even help you get there if your having doubts.
You mean Joe and Alatreon? I've beaten Joe once online (while doing my first + set to see if I still want to continue) and it was nice, but seeing 2 new monsters and no new armour (new as in new designs) is just so unappealing compared to the amount of content you get to see the first time around. Nah, I'm done. Got a lot out of the game, though. As I said before, I have already played (and greatly enjoyed!) this more and longer than any other game this year. :D I guess I'm just not the type for endgame content.

A.CHAP

Banned
I need help GAF!

I am trying to unlock the Agnaktor hunt in single player but have not been able to despite following the guidance of the monster hunter wiki.

The wiki says it should be unlocked at the same time as the Uragaan hunt but it is not.

Anyone unlocked Agnaktor and able to help?

Eteric Rice

Finally got my Lugi set. Now taking down that Uragaan thing.

Funny thing, I was listening to the radio while playing. And right as he rolled to leave the area, I hear "They see me rollin'', they hatin'" on the radio. :lol

Now I play the song on youtube as I beat his face in. :D

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Need to get some freaking sharqskin and it hasnt dropped in 15ish harpoons >_< Sucks that the spawning stops soon also and that Lagi is often in the forecasts.

Luigiv

Nothing quite like taking down 3 monsters in the same quest. Just did the village quest Hunter Killer (Barroth and Great Jaggi) and a Quropeco decided to join in too so I took down all three :D.

Now that I'm done with all the 4* quests it time for the Lagiacrus Urgent :D.
Well actually I'm going to do some RP grinding first, but after that it's all good!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Luigiv said:
Nothing quite like taking down 3 monsters in the same quest. Just did the village quest Hunter Killer (Barroth and Great Jaggi) and a Quropeco decided to join in too so I took down all three :D.

Well actually I'm going to do some RP grinding first, but after that it's all good!
The urgent is ridiculously easy. It only took about seven to eight minutes of bashing it's face in with the hammer for it to get repelled. You might as well get that out of the way first.

Tenbatsu

Luigiv said:

Feel free to try the last arena mode quest lol.

Jangaroo said:
The monsters in the two monster hunt quests always have far less HP than quests involving only killing one.
Really? Lagiacrus seems empowered on the dual with Rathalos...

Seraphis Cain said:
That's the one from the Ancient Shard, right?

Yeah, I'd love to have that too. Got the Worn Lance, but I'm not a lance user for the most part. I did get the Rusted GS, and upgraded it to the Ancient Blade. Such an awesome sword.
Right. While mining for it I got three Worn Hammers and one Bowgun, I was kind looking for this one, though.

And the Rusted Great Sword really is amazing, I'm using it non-stop. :D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Buggy Loop said:
Need to get some freaking sharqskin and it hasnt dropped in 15ish harpoons >_< Sucks that the spawning stops soon also and that Lagi is often in the forecasts.
1 star Red Coral Stones quest. They're always spawning then.

Luigiv

Jangaroo said:
The urgent is ridiculously easy. It only took about seven to eight minutes of bashing it's face in with the hammer for it to get repelled. You might as well get that out of the way first.
Not that Lagiacrus urgent, the other one (the one that unlocks 5*). I hear it's harder but probably shouldn't be too bad. I'm only going to RP grind first because there's both a Rathian and Great Jaggi in the woods at the moment which is an easy 950 points (also gives me a good chance of getting a giant skull or queen's spirit which I could use).

Tenbatsu said:
Feel free to try the last arena mode quest lol.
Maybe, though to be fair taking down Great Jaggi and Quropeco is about the same for me as clearing the room of minions (I've been fighting those 2 for over a year already). The final arena quest would actually be challenging (and therefore will probably put off until I start to get bored of the other modes).

Sammy Samusu said:
Really? Lagiacrus seems empowered on the dual with Rathalos...

I believe Jangaroo was referring to how it worked in MHF2/MHFU not realising it's different for Tri. But yes, you're right. According to Lord Grahf's damage formula on Gamefaq's, monsters actually have more health the Duals.

Nicktals

Banned
Haunted said:
I got two Deep Dragongems on my second Ceadeus run. That Earth Dragongem, though.... *shakes fist*

Yeah, and I've repelled, and then slayed (giving me 2 chances at quest rewards) Caedeus probably 15 times, and no gem...but I've fought Jhen maybe 7 times and have gotten 5 earth dragongems.

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
ok...... after watching this I've decided maybe it's time to learn how to bomb.

Are they really that powerful? Anybody have tips for somebody who has never experimented with bombs before?
Bombardier + Felyne Pyro + Stun/Sleep

Say you don't have those skills, is it still worth doing damage wise? Like if I'm fighting Rathalos and we trap him, it does much more damage if I lay two bombs and set it off rather than hack away?

Do bombs need to be set off by the player to work properly? If I remember right from our Jehn experiments if we put bombs all over the boat deck then they would dissapear when he rammed us so I assume he set them off. I'm not sure if they were damaging him, or rather damaging him to their full potential. This means that monsters that attack bombs can set them off right? So say I lay two barrel bombs and Rathalos charges straight into them, would they explode on contact?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm clueless when it comes to bombs.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Say you don't have those skills, is it still worth doing damage wise? Like if I'm fighting Rathalos and we trap him, it does much more damage if I lay two bombs and set it off rather than hack away?

Do bombs need to be set off by the player to work properly? If I remember right from our Jehn experiments if we put bombs all over the boat deck then they would dissapear when he rammed us so I assume he set them off. I'm not sure if they were damaging him, or rather damaging him to their full potential. This means that monsters that attack bombs can set them off right? So say I lay two barrel bombs and Rathalos charges straight into them, would they explode on contact?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm clueless when it comes to bombs.

I'm positive I did it in United.

If they charge into the bomb, they set it off.

I'm old and might be going senile though. I remember the big white rocks that stuck out of the ground in the volcano level and if you ran a monster into them, they'd blow up and hurt the monster.

I can't imagine they would change that up in MH3...

I'm pretty sure you can get away with dropping bombs and then lure the monster into ramming/attacking them. I would advise you use that tactic against the ones that charge and do not shoot projectiles.

I remember I was playing with some guys and one dude loved bombs. We were fighting a rathalos and he was placing a large bomb far from the rathalos.
Sure enough, the rathalos turned towards him, shot a fireball at him right when he was finished setting up the large bomb...kaboom. I saw the whole thing go down from a distance and it was awesome/hilarious/tragic.

So, sometimes after grinding in the moga woods in SP, when i head back to the village, I get a message saying something like "Acc. items now 20 pts. res." Now, this only appears for like, 1 second, so that may not be 100% accurate, but what exactly does that message mean?

Nicktals

Banned
Setvan2734 said:
So, sometimes after grinding in the moga woods in SP, when i head back to the village, I get a message saying something like "Acc. items now 20 pts. res." Now, this only appears for like, 1 second, so that may not be 100% accurate, but what exactly does that message mean?

Some items, like unique mushrooms, choice mushrooms, ripened mushrooms, wyvern tears, and probably a few others I'm forgetting, are account items. They're typically the ones you would get bonus zen for collecting in a quest. But here they give you some bonus resource points if you collect them.

You'll notice they disappear from your pouch upon returning to the village.

Boney

Banned
Dreavus said:
Low drop rates can become such a huge annoyance. I have something like 4 rathian plates that I'm not even interested in using; in fact, I didn't even know they were such a bitch to find until I saw people talking about it on here. On the other hand, getting myself a fearsome maw took an ridiculously long time, and I'm almost HR 40 and have not even seen a wyvern stone.
Dude I have 4 Rathalos Gems and still only one Plate. Fuck plates!

EU hunters: Selenae will be online in a few. Looking at 5 star quests, but i'm up for whatever really. Look for me in recruiting/wisdom1/gate40. ITS GO TIME, FUCKERS!!!

dsister44

Fistwell said:
EU hunters: Selenae will be online in a few. Looking at 5 star quests, but i'm up for whatever really. Look for me in recruiting/wisdom1/gate40. ITS GO TIME, FUCKERS!!!

guess you wouldn't be up for some lowly 3 star quests later :(

It sucks how far behind I am

Duress

So I go out to get some res points in single player. I go check what monsters are out on the forecast and find a Rathalos is out there. I go out and kill the Ratholos.

I then decide to go back out and get some herbs and honey because I was running low. As I'm collecting another Ratholos flies down.

Is there something I'm missing? Because the report said the next day would be two Great Jaggis

Yay, my Monster Hunter 3 review is posted and the Hunter Journal is finished. I'm free! To all three of my readers I hope you enjoyed the show. I hope to be online tonight for some casual play, so if you need help with low ranking missions I'd be happy to join you.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Duress said:
So I go out to get some res points in single player. I go check what monsters are out on the forecast and find a Rathalos is out there. I go out and kill the Ratholos.

I then decide to go back out and get some herbs and honey because I was running low. As I'm collecting another Ratholos flies down.

Is there something I'm missing? Because the report said the next day would be two Great Jaggis

Did you go during the day the first time? Because when you got back, only a half day would have passed, meaning the Rathalos would still be there. A full day needs to pass for the monster forecast change to take effect.

Duress said:

[beaten]

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think that you will ever see time pass until you leave the woods, and time won't pass if it hasn't been five or ten minutes. Any bosses you see after you kill the predicted ones are pretty much random. I don't think I've ever seen time cycle more than half a day no matter how long I've been in the woods- which might be convenient if you're trying to get as much trading materials as possible before the trading captain leaves.

The forecast only tells you about the ones that will 100% show up, but those bosses will leave the area if left alone long enough. You also get those same bosses for 2 cycles/half-days.

[edit]

So, last night I spent something like 4 hours failing my alatreon urgent something like 5 or 6 times. I'm starting to think that going into rooms full of random, HR capped, HR 50 folks is possibly not the way to go. :/

There's no way to distinguish the ones with any experience from the ones without except by going.

I'll probably have to use some weapon other than lance on this one. I should probably make a new armor set as well (which'll be 2-3 nights of material grinding -__-). I've passed the 200 hour mark, which probably makes me officially insane...

Duress

Seraphis Cain said:
Did you go during the day the first time? Because when you got back, only a half day would have passed, meaning the Rathalos would still be there. A full day needs to pass for the monster forecast change to take effect.

Yeah it was day. I guess I assumed that once the monster was slain that it wouldn't respawn again. I also meant Rathian. I get the two confused too much.

Duress

Lance Bone Path said:
[beaten]

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think that you will ever see time pass until you leave the woods, and time won't pass if it hasn't been five or ten minutes. Any bosses you see after you kill the predicted ones are pretty much random. I don't think I've ever seen time cycle more than half a day no matter how long I've been in the woods- which might be convenient if you're trying to get as much trading materials as possible before the trading captain leaves.

The forecast only tells you about the ones that will 100% show up, but those bosses will leave the area if left alone long enough. You also get those same bosses for 2 cycles/half-days.

[edit]

So, last night I spent something like 4 hours failing my alatreon urgent something like 5 or 6 times. I'm starting to think that going into rooms full of random, HR capped, HR 50 folks is possibly not the way to go. :/

There's no way to distinguish the ones with any experience from the ones without except by going.

I'll probably have to use some weapon other than lance on this one. I should probably make a new armor set as well (which'll be 2-3 nights of material grinding -__-). I've passed the 200 hour mark, which probably makes me officially insane...

I hear ya. Last night, I had one guy who was in Barroth armor and was using a Spiral Lance while fighting Uraagan. The other guy took two med kits stacksand two ration stacks, then went off to mine. Leaving me with the three of us to fight him. They were around 21 -25 HR or so.

Boney

Banned
Any suggestions on a guy who wants to start a gunner? Sets abilities, ammo type, how to get it.
I trust you GAF gunners with my guy! I'm HR 50 so getting the equip shouldn't be a problem.

Boney said:
Any suggestions on a guy who wants to start a gunner? Sets abilities, ammo type, how to get it.
I trust you GAF gunners with my guy! I'm HR 50 so getting the equip shouldn't be a problem.
Elemental shots are nerfed to doing fixed damage, so you'll probably want to stick with status/pierce/pellet/normal shots, if you're doing high end gunning. You can get away with pellet shots without comrade collateral damage (I've heard this but haven't tried it) if you are about 3 rolls away and aim the gun straight up.

Personally, I would get really really good at the bowgun arena quests before I worry about making any bowguns and gunner sets. The equipment is decent and if you can do them without dying, you will probably be one of those assets in a group that can turn a bad team into a good team.

botticus

Duress said:
Yeah it was day. I guess I assumed that once the monster was slain that it wouldn't respawn again. I also meant Rathian. I get the two confused too much.
Oh, you don't even need to go back to town for monsters to respawn. Or there might be more than one. Last time I was wandering around the forest I took out a Jaggi, and while I was carving it, another one found me.

Boney

Banned
Yeah I can hold my own in Arena quests, solo and with somebody. And at first I'll do easier quests to get used to it sure. Thnaks for the advice though! Hopefully I'll be gunnin next to you soon.

explodet

I'm still early into the gunning game, support gunning with a Bnahabra set. I'm running around in my snazzy tuxedo, poisoning/paralzying/sleeping monsters and healing other hunters. I'm tissue paper though, and can get smashed pretty easily so keeping my health up is high priority.

I audibly laughed the first time I sleeped a Barroth. I couldn't get to plant any bombs though because the other hunters took it as a sign that it would be free shots. Free shots are for when I paralyze him, you dorks!

DragonGirl said:
Yay, my Monster Hunter 3 review is posted and the Hunter Journal is finished. I'm free! To all three of my readers I hope you enjoyed the show. I hope to be online tonight for some casual play, so if you need help with low ranking missions I'd be happy to join you.

You can make it four now.

I really enjoyed your write up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Boney said:

I'm not high rank yet, but here's my post:
As someone who started the game from scratch as a gunner, I am no master but I will attempt to give a little advice as I have been decently successful thus far.

Some things to remember at all times:

1. The limited amount of ammo types is a blessing in disguise- it might seem like it's great that the gunner has a page just for ammo, but you're going to fill it- and then some- at all times. You'd never have the (few) slots you have for loot if you could carry all ammo types.
2. The highlighted ammo types on the stats are the kinds of ammo that your gun rapid-fires. THIS IS AWESOME. This kind of ammo should be your mainstay when using that weapon. You get multiple shots, firing very quickly, for the cost of one shot! You'll come to know what kinds of ammo besides this you like to rely on across all missions, and which types are more helpful against certain bosses.
3. Once you have decided on what your main ammo repository for your current gun will be, ALWAYS stock up on them, plus any specific types for the mission at hand, before you head out. Realizing that you have one Para shot too few to paralyze a monster can be the difference between victory and agony!
3. The initial gun selection totally, completely sucks. It starts to open up only after you beat the Urgent Gobul quest. But ultimately, the ability to mix and match and find your ideal gun once everything is available to you makes it the most flexible weapon.
4. Gunners, by nature of their armors, are squishy as fuck. It's unfortunate, but the way it goes. Learn to roll like a spastic hedgehog. Don't try to get that extra shot in before rolling out of the way of an attack unless you've fought that monster multiple times- much better to not take a hit than take slightly less time to beat the boss.
5. The "you can't shoot, your ammo isn't loaded" animation is incredibly punishing. Seriously, it's a joke. It is likely to kill you at least once. Make the Y button your best friend.
6. The status-effect ammos are great, especially online. You can poison, paralyze, put to sleep, exhaust/stun, and generally fuck with your target reliably at least once each per fight, and in a matter of a few seconds if you land your shots. The key is tailoring when to use each to each fight. Poison is usually a good way to start a match and take a monster's hp down a bit. Paralyze makes a great setup for switching to crag/clust and getting a few huge shots off with impunity. Putting a monster to sleep, laying a trap right under it, kicking it in the face, and tranqing is one of the most satisfying ways to capture.
7. Keep your distance. I have trouble with this one myself as I love shotgun-style gunning. But seriously, due to the aforementioned squishiness, it's always a good idea to put some space between yourself and your foe, even if you're kicking ass.
8. Be patient! I haven't tried all the weapons, but gunning can be an incredibly frustrating experience if you rush or try to do too much at once... but also incredibly rewarding when it pays off.

Hope to see you guys online!

EDIT: Some definitions:
Deviation: How much your shots move to the left or right. Certain gun parts will show L/R or Low L/R or so on, or just Low R, to indicate how the shots will be affected. Other parts that say things like reduced or increased will make this better or worse.
Recoil: The amount of time it takes before you can take another shot. Obviously this varies a lot between ammo types, but this is a global modifier.
Reload: Obviously, the time it takes you to load new ammo- this is the same for all ammo types.
Sheild: Some guns let you block! I've never tried one, but it must be really useful if you've got it.

Sucks that elemental shots were nerfed... The rapid fire thunder shots from my lagi gun seem awesome, but I guess they'll become useless one day :(

DragonGirl said:
To all three of my readers I hope you enjoyed the show.

Thank you!

Neo C.

Today's a good day! Thanks to Sceolan and an other guy for the urgent quest, and after then I've have a epic fight with Fistwell against Rathalos and Rathian. Not too bad for my first 3* quest. :D

john tv

Quick shout-out to Znarf (Manobo), Remfin, Lonely1, and the awesome gunner whose name escapes me (friended in-game tho) -- thanks for the help today! Had a great time and should be ready to put together my Qurupeco+ set tomorrow because of it (also a better thunder hammer thanks to the two Wyvern Stones I got along the way). Just gotta save up like 100,000z now, haha.

Cheers!

mclem

EUGAF: If you're still around at 11pm UK time I'll be dropping in; I'd really like to polish off my 2* urgent and make some headway into 3*.

Kyoufu

john tv said:
(also a better thunder hammer thanks to the two Wyvern Stones I got along the way). Just gotta save up like 100,000z now, haha.

Cheers!

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY QURUPECO I HAVE SLAIN?!

Oxx

I finally accumulated enough Quro scales to finish the Quro armour set. Looks kinda goofy, but I'm going to get back to doing fun stuff now rather than grind away at something for a different set.

Jangaroo

Luigiv said:
I believe Jangaroo was referring to how it worked in MHF2/MHFU not realising it's different for Tri. But yes, you're right. According to Lord Grahf's damage formula on Gamefaq's, monsters actually have more health the Duals.
What the bloody hell? Okay, scratch that, good luck on those dual hunts :(

Leezard

Jangaroo said:
What the bloody hell? Okay, scratch that, good luck on those dual hunts :(
Yeah, I noticed that the R Ludroth was quite a bit tougher when I did the (offline) dual quest. Still, I managed to beat both it and the Rathian/alos dual quest. The Rath one was really tough when they really really wanted to be in the same area.

Jangaroo

Leezard said:
Yeah, I noticed that the R Ludroth was quite a bit tougher when I did the (offline) dual quest. Still, I managed to beat both it and the Rathian/alos dual quest. The Rath one was really tough when they really really wanted to be in the same area.
Man, I should probably stop comparing MHTri to MH2. I was assuming monsters in dual hunts would have less health. Kudos Capcom for making things even harder :lol

DragonGirl said:
Great review. And I have also met this "Bobo" guy, he's really nice, HR70 or so. Was helping me mining for some Ancientshards.

Kyoufu said:

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY QURUPECO I HAVE SLAIN?!
I feel your pain.

And he just got to HR31, I was there. :'(

Top Bottom