• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Thanks all for checking out my review!

Highlight of the evening:

I just recently obtained 30 rank and am fighting high rank Barroth when Evil Joe wanders in. This is my first time seeing it so I run like hell. I'm in the adjacent area healing up and refilling stamina when I decide to pop back over and see if the coast is clear. I'm just about at the transition point when Joe enters my area. He's right there towering over me. I'm eye to eye with his knee caps. I turn and run and he's right on my ass chasing me out. My stamina bar plummets as I flee for the exit and he takes a bite at me. Miss! That gives me just enough time to pause and refill my stamina bar to make a dash for the exit. Safe! What a rush. I had to take a breather before going back to the Barroth.

Tenbatsu

Boney said:
Anybody wants to share knowledge on how to build good Bowguns?
I've been using Aquamatic "Spark", because I just find it so cool. But I feel it's a pretty terrible gun. And this 3 part thing kinda confuses me. On which type of part to choose.
1) Types of bullet you wanna concentrate on. You don't need to bring all bullet types into the battlefield as you won't have time to use them all. Focus is the key.
2) Build up the 3 parts which maximize the bullets that you choose to focus on.
3) Build the gunner armor and skills set to counter/improvise the gun's flaws & strengths.

Alex: You can actually get the whole gun set by just buying 3 of the same monster gun parts. The lady at the stall also sell some full gun set btw.

Tenbatsu

PounchEnvy said:
Hmm is there really any way to know when it's ready to be "repelled"?
Not sure if the skill 'Capture Guru' works as I never try before. Maybe you can give it a try. But why do you want to repel it? Sympathy?

Luigiv

Alex said:
DISCUSSION TIME
Let's just agree to disagree. We're not going to get anywhere just head butting opinions. Your complaints are still valid even if I don't have a mind them personally.

Just to elaborate a little further on my opinion on the kitchen and farm, though; Personally I never liked the Freedom Unite versions. The kitchen was alright but it was too complicated and too easy to screw up, as I did, and fixing it would take way more effort then it was worth. The new kitchen on the other hand does everything the old one did, but in an easy, streamlined and flexible fashion. My only complaint being it's silly location and toned down presentation.

The farm on the other hand was a huge mess in Freedom Unite. It took over 5 minutes to do a full run and the OCD in me wouldn't let me pass up the free stuff. The new farm on the other hand is exactly what I needed. In and out, getting exactly what I needed. My only complaint is that cultivating bugs is a little on the limited side. Now that thunderbugs are actually important, why cant I attain them easier?

I also wouldn't mind more monsters in Tri either but as it is now it doesn't actually feel lacking to me. Freedom Unite had too many in my opinion, even if we don't count all the clones. Tri just happens to fall on the lower end of what I would consider to be just right. Personally my wish list for 3G is just about 5 new monsters and maybe another 2 - 3 remodeled old monsters (Plesioth with an all new underwater moveset please) and it would be about perfect. And then when it's time for Monster Hunter Quatro, we should get another, even more extensive refresh.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
I'm all for getting some older monsters in here, but Plesioth? I don't think I want to have to face it's hipcheck of doom what with it's gigantic hitbox and all. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the Elder dragons come back though.

Luigiv

Jangaroo said:
I'm all for getting some older monsters in here, but Plesioth? I don't think I want to have to face it's hipcheck of doom what with it's gigantic hitbox and all. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the Elder dragons come back though.
But Plesioth in Tri's engine wouldn't be the same Plesioth. Hitboxes are now more or less 1:1 plus actually getting to fight him underwater would make for an obvious twist.

Luigiv said:
Let's just agree to disagree. We're not going to get anywhere just head butting opinions. Your complaints are still valid even if I don't have a mind them personally.

Just to elaborate a little further on my opinion on the kitchen and farm, though; Personally I never liked the Freedom Unite versions. The kitchen was alright but it was too complicated and too easy to screw up, as I did, and fixing it would take way more effort then it was worth. The new kitchen on the other hand does everything the old one did, but in an easy, streamlined and flexible fashion. My only complaint being it's silly location and toned down presentation.

The farm on the other hand was a huge mess in Freedom Unite. It took over 5 minutes to do a full run and the OCD in me wouldn't let me pass up the free stuff. The new farm on the other hand is exactly what I needed. In and out, getting exactly what I needed. My only complaint is that cultivating bugs is a little on the limited side. Now that thunderbugs are actually important, why cant I attain them easier?

I also wouldn't mind more monsters in Tri either but as it is now it doesn't actually feel lacking to me. Freedom Unite had too many in my opinion, even if we don't count all the clones. Tri just happens to fall on the lower end of what I would consider to be just right. Personally my wish list for 3G is just about 5 new monsters and maybe another 2 - 3 remodeled old monsters (Plesioth with an all new underwater moveset please) and it would be about perfect. And then when it's time for Monster Hunter Quatro, we should get another, even more extensive refresh.

Put about 15 hours now into Tri at a casual pace and I can say I agree with everything you said.
Tri just really cuts the fat and given my limited console play time, it completely works in my favor...

Luigiv said:
But Plesioth in Tri's engine wouldn't be the same Plesioth. Hitboxes are now more or less 1:1 plus actually getting to fight him underwater would make for an obvious twist.

Maybe. This game definitely needs more water monsters.

Schwabe

Tenbatsu said:
But why do you want to repel it? Sympathy?

You hurt him 30mins, get two carves off the horn and after repelling the reward. you do it again, use shortcut, swim through are 2 and beat him again for some minutes. he dies you get your carves ans again some reward. all in approx. 40min.

if you kill him every round, you have to fight some minutes more to play... nothing more...

at my 4th kill yesterday, i saw my first deep dragon gem.. i need just 2 more -.-

Leezard

L00P said:
Yeah, tell me about it. I don't think I've ever had a chance to see it weakened:lol
Yeah, it never becomes limping, it just rage more often. I thought he was still going strong but then he suddenly went to sleep. Diablos sure is confusing.

Disguises

mclem said:
Thanks to everyone who helped out last night. And karma's awesome; after josh left, we had a couple of randoms coming in wanting to do Rathian farming, so to finish off we helped out... and I got a Rathian Plate out of it. Without even trying to farm it.

The daft bit is, I still don't have enough Isisium to actually make the Rathian set.
Thanks for helping kill Lagi to advance me to 3* quests! I'll more than likely be on tonight if you want to start getting some of the 3*'s done?

Any Euro-GAF members up tonight for at least the 3* quest "To Catch an Uragaan" ? When that one's done of course we can do other quests too!

Pancho

Qurupancho
Luigiv said:

Lol, Plesioth, fuck that guy. But yes it would be awesome fighting underwater against him. That's my only gripe with Tri, the lack of monsters, after MHFU the monster variety is clearly lacking. I kinda miss tigrex, Kirin and the ape monsters, specially the ice ape. Of course Im enjoying the crap out of Tri, got around 120 hours and counting!

john tv

Farming Qurupeco+ with Remfin and sprsk if anyone is interested. sprsk needs qurupeco scale+ and he isn't getting many so we may be here for a while. ;p

Pancho

Qurupancho
john tv said:
Farming Qurupeco+ with Remfin and sprsk if anyone is interested. sprsk needs qurupeco scale+ and he isn't getting many so we may be here for a while. ;p

Ill get on now, if u guys dont mind, I sorta am farming it too :p

w00t: only one hunt with johntv and I got a tag for it:lol

Gino

I'm gonna have to start playing on other servers. You guys are all way higher rank than me. I'm 19 and can't seem to find a game where I don't feel like I'm stopping everyone from fighting the monsters they really want to.

orion434

Just started the game the game 2 days ago... my first Monster Hunter game :D Is there any tips to give a first-time player? I've only played the offline campaign so far and can now do Guild quests.

forrest

formerly nacire
I'll be online soonish if anyone is around and wants to farm some high rank mats. Need carbalite and rathian+ mats at the moment.

Pancho

Qurupancho
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE
I mean...
REMFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN

john tv

Rem -- We'll do a quick Ludroth + capture with Thad while we wait to hear of your fate. Post here if you're planning to rejoin!

Luigiv said:

The one good thing about the farm not being readily accessible from online mode is that we don't have to deal with the one or two newbs who spend 5 minutes in their farms after every quest.

What does bother me about the separation of the village and town is this: I think that it's kind of wrong that time doesn't pass in the village when you're doing quests online. It breaks the feeling of a living, breathing world to have the village and town living in two completely orthogonal timelines.

When I think about what they could do with 4 (I think they should go with tetra instread of quatro or quad), my thought is that they should ditch water and go with vehicles. We could kill things to outfit our monster trucks :p.

Ridley327

I see the big advantage that MH3 has over the PSP games is the fact that I can play it with a normal controller. I seriously have no idea how you guys did it, but I found the PSP to be really ill-suited for such a complex game, despite the simplified controls. For that reason alone, MH3 dominates.

That said, I sure do hope that a potential MH3G makes it over here since it's sure to add a lot of material; even if it's just proper new models for the high rank armor sets, it'll be a vast improvement.

ShinNL

I'm gonna join this discussion.

I've only played the PSP versions (MHF, MHF2, MHFU) and MHF was awesome, MHF2 was less fun, MHFU was a bit redeeming but still marginal upgrade from MHF2.

Going back to MHF now feels really archaic. MHF2 however was way too easy (everything is handed to you for free and high end armor had way too much defense). MHFU continued this lack of challenge but at least provided some neat monsters.

MHF2 was the worst upgrade in my opinion, adding crabs (!?) and farting monkeys (!?!?). I know they're trying to expand the definition of "monster" but adding stuff like that will reduce the quests' quality. Monster Hunter is about epic battles. not joke monsters.

As for every weapon that has been added since the original:

Dual Swords never felt interesting to me. It's hardly ever used as a base weapon without mega juice. Spam fest weapon. I'm strictly against weapons requiring mega juice. I don't use it for my lance (unlimited blocking, hoppping and running) or my hammer (unlimited charge holding and rolling), so I don't use it for DS either. MHFU at least made it a bit interesting by adding dual elements, but it was still a spamfest.

Bow. At first I had fun with it but after some playtime you'll start to realize this weapon is strongest at a specific range with a specific charge. So you keep shooting the same shot from the same spot over and over again. This basically means the most effective way to fight is the most boring one. Fun if you don't know what you're doing, totally boring if you know what you're doing. Unlike other weapons which depends on milliseconds timing when you try to improve, this one just needs repetitions and hardly any insight. I'm not missing it and it also made the gunner sets confusing because some gunner skills had a double meaning.

Gunlance. After seeing a prototype gunlance in MHF1 (basically a lance with fire damage) and then using one in MHF2 was totally awesome. This weapon has advantages and disadvantages. The wyvern fire looks kickass (but is actually kind of weak..., equals 4 shots). I wouldn't mind seeing this weapon soon.

Hunting Horn. Using this weapon during solo play is a pain. It doesn't have many ways to attack, so the only plus about this weapon is the horn play. Which is a trade-off that's totally worth it. A team with multiple hunting horn players give such a great sense of teamwork. It does however remove a bit of the "300 (the movie) soldier" feel, because the HH players needs to do some buffing every few minutes, being a bit of a slave for the team.

Long Sword. Interesting weapon with some limited movement (mostly forward). Though it's not my personal fav because of how it broke most of the weapon balancing in teams. The weapon itself and how it's balanced is fine, but in teams that weapon is still the most ridiculous teammate hitter. It slashes everywhere and the LS user gets hit immunity while attacking. Fortunately Tri offered the LS late in the game, so people at least play with other weapons first. In MHF2 and MHFU I had to deal with people who never used any other weapon and doesn't realize how damn annoying it is to get hit by a LS every few seconds. Oh ya, thanks for hitting me before I finish my triple pound. Oh, thanks for return slashing yourself to safety and tripping me INTO Khezu's Blanka move.

To me MHF2 offered some interesting weapons, but a lot of unbalanced things and uninteresting things as well. It made the quality of the series a bit less to me. Worst offender being that armors can be upgraded so much that you're allowed to play shitty to survive. Most monsters aren't interesting except for Rajang and Tigrex.

MHFU redeemed itself with one of the cutest monsters: Naruga. It's design should be more unique (looks a bit Tigrex-like) but it's movement is quite unique, so it's fun. The slight changes in the system were all pretty small, so for people who jump from MHF2 to MHFU it's quite a steep price for more of the same gameplay.

I have at least logged 500 hours in each game (more unlogged, like unsaved data), probably exceeding 2000 hours in total before I started Tri.

Tri offers so many new things, it feels as if I'm playing MHF1 again. With MHF2 and MHFU I felt like I was playing catchup: just trying to get to G-rank ASAP and that's it. A reboot was a smart choice and I'm thoroughly enjoying the new monsters. It's good that I read nothing about the monsters, so every encounter was pretty amazing. The rebooted monsters feel much more natural and it seems to make sense now how they move and attack. I agree with Luigiv that they're closer to being build from the ground up than having just a few new attacks. Even if attacks look the same (Diablos), it definitely moves different and the safezones and hitzones are different (and this is not just an engine thing, but clearly redone).

Tri offers some very interesting weapon changes which emphasizes the weapon types.
Sword n Shield's shield bash offers versatility, Hammer's unlimited combo showcases raw close range power, Great Sword's 2nd charge form to truly test your timing and prediction skills, Bowgun parts to satisfy your love for planning and preparation, Long Sword's power up for continuous fearless offense, Lance's counter to conquer the world without budging.

Switchaxe has almost the same level of complexity as Gunlance, which is great. It's very flexible too, as you can fight in a permanent sword state (instant sword mode unleash) or in a permanent axe state, or switch around if you like that. All up to the player. It's a very nice addition to the MH weapon set and definitely way better than the DS or Bow ever were.

Tri offers so much new stuff that even I can enjoy it right from the start. MHF2 and MHFU probably has more content for a new person to the series, but to me Tri offers way more and I personally think the quality is higher overall. I'm definitely satisfied (still playing, mind you!) with what I'm playing. However, I also wouldn't mind if there's going to be a Tri G. I'm currently in high rank and can see the end coming near. I'll probably get about 400 hours out of this game before I stop, so I won't feel ripped off in any way. But if they add the same quality of new content as a G upgrade as they did with this Tri reboot, I'll gladly buy that on day 1 as well. What I don't like to see is the return of Khezu, Plesioth, Gypceros. Lao Shen Lung, Akantor and whatever those crabs are called. Those monsters don't add anything anymore and especially in Tri, there are much cooler variations of those types (Giginox and Lagiacrus).

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ridley327 said:
I see the big advantage that MH3 has over the PSP games is the fact that I can play it with a normal controller. I seriously have no idea how you guys did it, but I found the PSP to be really ill-suited for such a complex game, despite the simplified controls. For that reason alone, MH3 dominates.

That said, I sure do hope that a potential MH3G makes it over here since it's sure to add a lot of material; even if it's just proper new models for the high rank armor sets, it'll be a vast improvement.

Finger hooking sucks, for a guy with such short fingers my hand usually cramped if I played too long.
For those who don't know what that is:
2dwcd5e.jpg

D-pad controlled the camera. L button snapped the camera right behind you, but it doesn't work as well.

Haunted

Thanks for the writeup, Soneet, it's super interesting for a newcomer like me to read about the earlier handheld titles.

edit: also, Pancho's tag is hilarious. :lol

Haunted

hatchx said:
How many worlds are in the game? I've only seen three so far.
5 big areas:
  • Deserted Island/Noga Woods
  • Sandy Plains
  • Flooded Forest
  • Tundra
  • Volcano

plus 3 smaller ones for special quests:
  • Underwater Ruin (Ceadeus)
  • Great Desert (Jhen Moran)
  • Sacred Land (Alatreon)

plus 2 arenas, one on land and one underwater.

Monster hunter freedom had some unbelievable load times. I didn't bother with it after playing it for about a day.

The new monsters added for freedom 2 are awesome. Soneet doesn't know what he's talking about :p. Honestly, I think that they needed some monsters between kut-ku and khezu in terms of difficulty, and the ones they put in fit the bill.

Tri is a huge upgrade, mostly because the hitboxes for monster attacks were so awful in the portable series. Some things like item usage were simplified, although strangely they sort of half-assed it with respect to the ballista.

I sort of feel that there could be more bosses, at least with respect to the materials needed to make armors. Killing 30-40 bosses to make an armor set wouldn't be quite so bad if it weren't the same battle 40 times over just to farm the wings, tails, and scales. The game should reward you with more/better material for a more efficient hunt IMO, which they did right for the arena quests, so I don't know why they didn't do it elsewhere.

The amount of farming/grinding needed for armors in this game feels like a downgrade overall.

I like what they did with giving people a special gem to encourage people to wear different armor sets from their peers, but it seems a little bit pointless when there are so few weapons and armors to choose from.

Also, in the portable series, there was more incentive to play co-op with other low rank players who were at different tiers whereas this game really feels like it's creating huge disincentives for people not playing with other people at their exact quest tier, so it makes the hi-rank/lo-rank divide even worse. That is a huge ugh.

heringer

Just hunted Diablos. Finally! Definitely the toughest so far. You can't do anything while she's in rage mode.

I was very lucky though. Eventually she ran to section 7 and I found her sleeping. So I just set the trap and captured it. Much easier this way. :D

Now I'm going after Rathalos.

Seems like the server is agreeing that I have to sleep and kicked me out before I keep on lance charging everyone over a toppled down banana.

Got disconnected after the last hunt, but it was fun doing a few hunts with John Tv, Remfin, Sprsk and Lonely.

I still need a few lud+ parts

mclem

Disguises said:
Thanks for helping kill Lagi to advance me to 3* quests! I'll more than likely be on tonight if you want to start getting some of the 3*'s done?

If I can take custody of the telly, I'll be around from 11pm UK time tonight. It's hard juggling MH3 and WoW :)

Lance Bone Path said:
Monster hunter freedom had some unbelievable load times. I didn't bother with it after playing it for about a day.

The new monsters added for freedom 2 are awesome. Soneet doesn't know what he's talking about :p. Honestly, I think that they needed some monsters between kut-ku and khezu in terms of difficulty, and the ones they put in fit the bill.

I sort of feel that there could be more bosses, at least with respect to the materials needed to make armors. Killing 30-40 bosses to make an armor set wouldn't be quite so bad if it weren't the same battle 40 times over just to farm the wings, tails, and scales. The game should reward you with more/better material for a more efficient hunt IMO, which they did right for the arena quests, so I don't know why they didn't do it elsewhere.

The amount of farming/grinding needed for armors in this game feels like a downgrade overall.

I like what they did with giving people a special gem to encourage people to wear different armor sets from their peers, but it seems a little bit pointless when there are so few weapons and armors to choose from.

Yeah you said alot of stuff I agree with.
Maybe its rose tinted glasses but there was a HELL of alot more monsters in 2G. Once you reach Hi rank in Tri you get Deviljo and the Grand dragonthing where as in
2g it was Elder dragons, jellyfish thing, Shen goren and loa shan lung (spelling on those!) the bat type one aswell as others I may have forgotten.

Im mostly just pissed off that you spend 20 hours to get to high rank to just repeat the process but 4x as much. 10-14 scales PER item!? Fuck off :lol

It would help if they had "endless" quests where you just kill whatever enemy it is till you get bored then turn in a paw pass, atleats that way you could kill say 5 Quperos for mats and get a shit load of quest end mats and not feel like youve wasted 5 hours.

john tv

Alien Manobo said:
Seems like the server is agreeing that I have to sleep and kicked me out before I keep on lance charging everyone over a toppled down banana.

Got disconnected after the last hunt, but it was fun doing a few hunts with John Tv, Remfin, Sprsk and Lonely.

I still need a few lud+ parts
Peeling that one banana in 2:37 was pretty damn fun. :)

I dunno how I'm ever gonna get two + lanterns, but I gotta keep trying...

JudgeN

Soneet said:
MHF2 was the worst upgrade in my opinion, adding crabs (!?) and farting monkeys (!?!?). I know they're trying to expand the definition of "monster" but adding stuff like that will reduce the quests' quality. Monster Hunter is about epic battles. not joke monsters.

MHF2 added this list of sweet ass monsters:

* Tigrex (the game's flagship monster)
* Congalala
* Blangonga
* Kushala Daora
* Shen Gao Ren
* Rajang
* Daimyo Hermitaur
* Shogun Ceanataur
* Lunastra
* Teostra
* White Fatalis
* Akantor

Your hate for them hurts me deep :lol

Nicktals

Banned
Have a room open in the usual place (recruiting -> wisdom 1 -> city gate 40), I'm in city 1. Looking to do some Ian hunts, for a ruby. Or just farming in volcano. Really I'm up for anything, as long as it includes Ian hunts fairly frequently.

Boney

Banned
Nicktals said:
Have a room open in the usual place (recruiting -> wisdom 1 -> city gate 40), I'm in city 1. Looking to do some Ian hunts, for a ruby. Or just farming in volcano. Really I'm up for anything, as long as it includes Ian hunts fairly frequently.
Joining

Leezard

I just forged myself a Sharq Lance. It's really sweet, I killed Uragaan before even I got to cut his tail off. :( The white sharpness (sharpness+1) together with the high elemental damage is awesome.

Top Bottom