• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Brannon

DragonGirl said:
Yay, my Monster Hunter 3 review is posted and the Hunter Journal is finished. I'm free! To all three of my readers I hope you enjoyed the show. I hope to be online tonight for some casual play, so if you need help with low ranking missions I'd be happy to join you.

Awesome review, especially the Barioth pic. That thing is just... not of this world.

heringer

Does anybody knows if I need one of those triwing screwdrivers to open my Classic Controller? There's a faulty button that is driving me crazy. :(

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Is it just me or does the lagiacrus never get easier to fight? :/

Diablos scares me :(

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
GaimeGuy said:
Is it just me or does the lagiacrus never get easier to fight? :/

Diablos scares me :(
I had this exact same problem. I just finished making my last Lagiacrus armor piece and boy was it rough. The first three fights with it went fairly smoothly but on my last attempt I ended up dying twice due to it deciding to spam it's bumrush move underwater. I hate fighting it underwater. At least I got my plate though. And I hate fighting Diablos. It rages way too often.

Niblet

Been neglecting MH3 these past few days to get my scrub butt kicked at SSF4 and SC2 beta :lol but I'm ready to do the new event quests. If anyone is down for tonight just post so we can get something going.

Alex

Wrapped up five star, good game, utterly brilliant on it's own merits but still walking away a bit disappointed.

+Better art direction and remodels
+New set of solid monsters
+Better in-game info
+Weapon tweaks
+Charms
+Multi monsters done a lot better.

-Massively lacking content, the reboot, IMO didn't work in the end. You can tune things up without slashing the roster by 80%. Make more use of the regional differences between games in the series. (like the one that killed off the Gunlance)
-Taking away a couple of weapons that didn't need to be taken away (Gunlances, Bows)
-Really messing up gunners, barely anyone is gunning for a reason. The new systems for it are totally unfun and awkward, especially with a small monster roster.
-Huge separation of offline/online
-Awful lobby redesign for US/EU, Adhoc Party is now better than this.

?Underwater combat, still not sure what to think of it, even now
?Removal of the Felyne Kitchen, I liked that, but it was also very convoluted, also the BBQ service, but I'm still unsure if it hurt or helped in the end.
?More limited, less interactive, more productive farm.

Very eager for Freedom 3, I just wish they weren't so hush hush on it and what's all going into it and whats returning besides the few flashes in the trailer.

Kyoufu

Sammy Samusu said:
Great review. And I have also met this "Bobo" guy, he's really nice, HR70 or so. Was helping me mining for some Ancientshards.

I feel your pain.

And he just got to HR31, I was there. :'(

Wow what a lucky bastard lol ;(

Grats though!

Dreavus

Some good hunts today guys. That Agnaktor was brutal! I saw the laser sweep coming but I was in the exact wrong position to do anything about it - too far away to run up beside him but also not close enough to an exit to escape. I tried to dive but he ended up killing me in one hit. :lol

I should probably do something about my Bnahabra+/Jaggi armor+, but I like the skills and how it looks. Need to find some of those top tier spheres.

Ridley327

What I learned about Barioth today: do not engage him in area 6.

What Barioth learned about me today: do not expect to get away with wiping my party out, as we took him out in less than 5 minutes, making sure he didn't leave with his tail or tusk.

DEEEEEEEEEEZ NUTS

robox

who's bright idea was it to have monsters named Barroth and Barioth? who aren't even related?
(i kinda doubt this is a new observation and the answer is probably buried somewhere in this thread...)

Ridley327

Anyone HR27 and up wanna get on? I'm about 3000 XP away from getting my urgent and despite playing online today for about 4 hours, I'm itching to finally put my low rank status to bed.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Kyoufu said:

DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY QURUPECO I HAVE SLAIN?!
I've been slaying Qurupeco non stop just to get flint stone to make the Plume Flint :lol I've barely scratched the surface and I'm already farming them. They were never dropping them even after smashing both wings, but I redid the capture quest (then set the trap accidentally at the start of the quest, meaning I had to frantically find some Ivy and Spider Web to create a new net/pitfall trap) last night I finally got one. Wiped out the Royal Ludroth pretty quickly right after too :)

Now to work on my Quru armor set... almost there, need another Strange Beak.

evangd007

Ridley327 said:
Anyone HR27 and up wanna get on? I'm about 3000 XP away from getting my urgent and despite playing online today for about 4 hours, I'm itching to finally put my low rank status to bed.

I'm in, I just got dc'd from a Jhen Moran Urgent room when it was my turn. (Shouldn't complain though, got a dragongem and a dragon blood from the other runs).

Eteric Rice

Alex said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KRlp0Xe7E8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwoCvryu1n4

Trenya! It makes absolutely no sense for him to be in MH Tri or Portable 3, but I always did like him, great animations on the boat sinking or when he collapses on the beach.

Somewhat sad that this makes me want to play Peace Walker, but I did like MGS3 so I guess I should anyway!

I'd like to play Peace Walker as well, but with this handheld generation coming to a close... I might wait a while and see if prices drop.

Alex

PSP is a great little machine, still some really nice goodies coming out. I've probably sunk the most time on it this "gen" outside of PC (and it's sort of a necessary for MH). I want them to make a new model, that isn't a shitty Go, that has Dual Shock 3 compatability like the Go does.

I'd like TV out/controller compatibility on the 3DS too but I think that went out the window with the 3D display? Ah well, a small price to pay if the resolution rumors on that thing are real.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Barioth > me

I just did the quest 4 times, not spending on potions since i just wanted to learn his attack patterns, but goddamn, i brought a hammer, peco flint with me, but barioth just goes berserk and every goddamn hit gets like 30% off the lifebar.. I made a full baggi set for the ice res but, is the def too low for this fight? Whats recommended for offline?

Buggy Loop said:
Barioth > me

I just did the quest 4 times, not spending on potions since i just wanted to learn his attack patterns, but goddamn, i brought a hammer, peco flint with me, but barioth just goes berserk and every goddamn hit gets like 30% off the lifebar.. I made a full baggi set for the ice res but, is the def too low for this fight? Whats recommended for offline?
Raw defense, don't bother with Ice Element.

I think Rathian Armor would help you a lot, it's Hearing Skill blocks most of the monsters screams, including Barioth. This will give you the chance to hit it at least three times during the whole fight, lol.

Also, try to damage it with Fire, maybe a Rathalos weapon?

heringer

I don't know why people complain about Barroth. Next to Lagiacrus he's a piece of candy. :(

I have a love/hate relationship with fighting underwater. :(

mclem

Thanks to everyone who helped out last night. And karma's awesome; after josh left, we had a couple of randoms coming in wanting to do Rathian farming, so to finish off we helped out... and I got a Rathian Plate out of it. Without even trying to farm it.

The daft bit is, I still don't have enough Isisium to actually make the Rathian set.

mclem said:
Thanks to everyone who helped out last night. And karma's awesome; after josh left, we had a couple of randoms coming in wanting to do Rathian farming, so to finish off we helped out... and I got a Rathian Plate out of it. Without even sincerely trying.
That's why you got it.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I have not found any answers to this question on google. How do i escape a monster's grip, ala rathian's flying down and holding you down with his claws, with a classic controller? What do i press?

mclem

Buggy Loop said:
I have not found any answers to this question on google. How do i escape a monster's grip, ala rathian's flying down and holding you down with his claws, with a classic controller? What do i press?

I'm not sure what's going on with the minigame, but you can lob a dungbomb her way and you'll be freed.

Kyoufu

Buggy Loop said:

Rotate the analogue stick or use a dung bomb.

evangd007

Good hunt Lance BP and Ridley, 3 manning Jhen was epic. Thanks for getting me to 31! Got dc'd again and couldn't get back on. I can't wait to move to my new apartment, more stable internet there.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dung bomb is much better. Instant results. I forgot to bring some while fighting Rathalos for a 4* rare trade good and he got me 3 times. x_x

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Say you don't have those skills, is it still worth doing damage wise? Like if I'm fighting Rathalos and we trap him, it does much more damage if I lay two bombs and set it off rather than hack away?

Do bombs need to be set off by the player to work properly? If I remember right from our Jehn experiments if we put bombs all over the boat deck then they would dissapear when he rammed us so I assume he set them off. I'm not sure if they were damaging him, or rather damaging him to their full potential. This means that monsters that attack bombs can set them off right? So say I lay two barrel bombs and Rathalos charges straight into them, would they explode on contact?
Bombs will be more effective as it deal pure damage. Pure damage in the sense that it ignore all monster resistance. I can't remember the exact damage for bombs, think its 150 for a G Bomb. Setting of a bomb deal 150 damage irregardless of where you bomb the monster. You can set it off yourself, or by letting the monster explode it upon contact.

Reason why they can slay Alatreon so fast is because all of them are equipped with Bombardier skill (1.5 X Bomb damage) and Felyne Pyro (All normal bombs -> G Bombs). Imagine a 150 bomb damage:

150 X 1.5 X 2 bombs = 450
450 X 4 players = 1800
1800 X 2 (stun) = 3600
1800 X 3 (sleep) = 5400

The setup need some planning and good teamwork.

Jangaroo said:
Man, I should probably stop comparing MHTri to MH2. I was assuming monsters in dual hunts would have less health. Kudos Capcom for making things even harder :lol
Arena dual have less health.

markatisu

Headed online now, if there is any lower HR (or bored uppers) that want to help me get past 2* just search for me. I dont mind helping anyone get past HR8 either

I am online now! Send me a message in-game!

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

mclem

Oh, before I forget: Given the font is slightly poor, I glanced at josh's hunter code today - 8M1FFX - and accidentally read it as "Smiffy". Now I can't help but imagine josh as one of the Bash Street Kids.

Poyunch

Man I hate the Ceadeus so much. It's not that it's difficult to fight it's just extremely boring and time consuming. I really commend those who had enough patience to make its full armor set.

edit: Two kills, I think maybe 5 or 6 quest attempts and I finally have enough for the Ceadeus Switch Axe. Screw you Ceadeus but I love your weapon so much. I can't believe I'm saying this but I want the armor set too now (but I will save the mats for the + armor set). :lol

Luigiv

Alex said:
Wrapped up five star, good game, utterly brilliant on it's own merits but still walking away a bit disappointed.

+Better art direction and remodels
+New set of solid monsters
+Better in-game info
+Weapon tweaks
+Charms
+Multi monsters done a lot better.

-Massively lacking content, the reboot, IMO didn't work in the end. You can tune things up without slashing the roster by 80%. Make more use of the regional differences between games in the series. (like the one that killed off the Gunlance)
-Taking away a couple of weapons that didn't need to be taken away (Gunlances, Bows)
-Really messing up gunners, barely anyone is gunning for a reason. The new systems for it are totally unfun and awkward, especially with a small monster roster.
-Huge separation of offline/online
-Awful lobby redesign for US/EU, Adhoc Party is now better than this.

?Underwater combat, still not sure what to think of it, even now
?Removal of the Felyne Kitchen, I liked that, but it was also very convoluted, also the BBQ service, but I'm still unsure if it hurt or helped in the end.
?More limited, less interactive, more productive farm.

Very eager for Freedom 3, I just wish they weren't so hush hush on it and what's all going into it and whats returning besides the few flashes in the trailer.
I don't know if I agree with your complaints.

- I'd rather an all new roster then just more recycled content. I've already defeated most of the monsters from Freedom Unite. Tri is the first entry that really feels like a sequel, not just an expansion pack (We've already had 5 of them FFS). As a sequel it doesn't need to invalidate it's predecessors, you can always go back and play freedom unite. Also remember that every recurring monster had to be rebuilt from scratch, doing to many would have stretched resources thin.

- I miss bows too but I can understand why they were put on hiatus. All the recurring weapon classes had a serious rebalanced; reworked move sets, tweaked damage values, more balanced raws. Much like the recurring monsters, including all of them would have stretched resources thin, hence why Tri did the first half and Freedom 3 completes the rosters.

- The new bowgun system is a great idea, though I agree the execution is a little weak. Achieving the ideal setup looks like a headache and the different parts don't quite offer the level of variety I was expecting. Still the old system wasn't a winner either. Getting the right balance between power, relevant ammo and reload speed was a pain when you were giving 0 choice in the matter.

- I don't see how selecting "change mode" from the menu is any more disjointed then entering and exiting the gathering hall. And even then that's irrelevant since the city and village are both self contained. There's no reason to run back and forth.

- I agree getting into a city is not as smooth as it needs to be (I mean, why the hell do I have to select my character, select the city then select my character again?) but it still beats all the loops I have to run through to get ad-hoc party running.

As for your question marks. I agree underwater combat is a mostly neutral addition but the new kitchen and farm are a no brainer. They are huge, huge improvements. My only complaint is the limits on which bugs you can breed.

Now, of course I don't think Tri is perfect. For all it's improvements, so far, I feel the new roster falls a tiny bit flat when compared to the first gen. But then again I still haven't unlocked the 5* quests yet so that may change when I finally get into the real meat.

Kyoufu

Tri doesn't have an all-new roster though...

Rathalos, Rathian and Diablos are returning bosses.

Barioth is a slightly altered Naruga from MHP2G.

Great Baggi is just Great Jaggi in a different colour.

Content-wise it is lacking, but I'm not bothered by it anymore as the content that is in the game is great. They've done underwater combat really well. A good step in taking the series forward.

I expect MHP3 to crap all over Tri in content though.

d0c_zaius

I agree with every one of Alex's comments.

It doesnt help that Im getting ready to quit MH3. There just isnt anyone 40+ at my level, and the people that were are now at 50+. The drive for max g-rank doesnt seem nearly as compelling or rewarding as was previously. Maybe a break and some more time for GAF to level up might help.

But Im not complaining I got 160+ hours out of it in a very short time frame. I totally OD'd oh MH3 :lol

-The new animations and gameplay refinements are awesome.

-I actually like underwater combat and think its done perfectly (for the most part)

-Weapons and improvements are not tacked on and really are rewarding to use

I'm hoping for a Tri expansion disk that uses my old save, but who knows where the series will go from here. I'm glad to see the MH series finally get some recognition in the west though :D

Luigiv

Kyoufu said:
Tri doesn't have an all-new roster though...

Rathalos, Rathian and Diablos are returning bosses.

Barioth is a slightly altered Naruga from MHP2G.

Great Baggi is just Great Jaggi in a different colour.

Content-wise it is lacking, but I'm not bothered by it anymore as the content that is in the game is great. They've done underwater combat really well. A good step in taking the series forward.

I expect MHP3 to crap all over Tri in content though.
Close enough to all new. The returning monsters are few and were rebuilt from scratch, not just ported over, which is what I was trying to get at. Also given Great Baggi is the only clone of another monster within tri, I say that's a bloody huge improvement. No Velocidrome/Giadrome/Gendrome/Iodrome, Monoblos/Diablos, Luna/Teo or subspecies levels of BS.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Diablos isnt that bad actually.

Just carry an ice element weapon, say the Icicle Spike+ SnS i just got, bring a bunch of Sonic Bombs for when he burrow and carry a trap + 3 tranq shots when he decide its time to go sleep somewhere and capture his fat ass. Easier than having to deal with even more rage modes until its dead.

But a SnS isnt that great if you want to cut its tail. Damn thing is too high to reach! :lol

Ridley327

Thanks to everyone who helped out to get me up to high rank. I would also like to point out the hilarious comedy of errors that ensued when we went after Peco+ and had to run around hoping the Dung Bomb would take effect on Ian while making sure it didn't kill him. :lol :lol :lol

Boney

Banned
Anybody wants to share knowledge on how to build good Bowguns?
I've been using Aquamatic "Spark", because I just find it so cool. But I feel it's a pretty terrible gun. And this 3 part thing kinda confuses me. On which type of part to choose.

Hiltz

I was stunned by how useful the wyvern fire long sword is against Lagiacrus. He used to put up a good fight in the quests but now he's a pussy cat. I guess it goes to show how important elemental damage can be.

Forged Lagiacrus waist and Rathian chest armors.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Ridley327 said:
Thanks to everyone who helped out to get me up to high rank. I would also like to point out the hilarious comedy of errors that ensued when we went after Peco+ and had to run around hoping the Dung Bomb would take effect on Ian while making sure it didn't kill him. :lol :lol :lol

Haha that was pretty funny, it was like dodgeball, but with an angry green bird an angry green dragon. Thank god Rathian decided to leave after you stunk her with that Bomb:lol :lol

But yeah, High Rank Feels sooooo goood, many thanks to you, Lance Bone Path and Chopper Dave who I owed a Jehn run and did it twice :D .

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I just defeated SP Ceadeus. I kinda cheated since I used my Rathian+ armor.. L didn't felt like keep farmin for lag armor and used that.

Alex

Luigiv said:
I don't know if I agree with your complaints.

- I'd rather an all new roster then just more recycled content. I've already defeated most of the monsters from Freedom Unite. Tri is the first entry that really feels like a sequel, not just an expansion pack (We've already had 5 of them FFS). As a sequel it doesn't need to invalidate it's predecessors, you can always go back and play freedom unite. Also remember that every recurring monster had to be rebuilt from scratch, doing to many would have stretched resources thin.

- I miss bows too but I can understand why they were put on hiatus. All the recurring weapon classes had a serious rebalanced; reworked move sets, tweaked damage values, more balanced raws. Much like the recurring monsters, including all of them would have stretched resources thin, hence why Tri did the first half and Freedom 3 completes the rosters.

- The new bowgun system is a great idea, though I agree the execution is a little weak. Achieving the ideal setup looks like a headache and the different parts don't quite offer the level of variety I was expecting. Still the old system wasn't a winner either. Getting the right balance between power, relevant ammo and reload speed was a pain when you were giving 0 choice in the matter.

- I don't see how selecting "change mode" from the menu is any more disjointed then entering and exiting the gathering hall. And even then that's irrelevant since the city and village are both self contained. There's no reason to run back and forth.

- I agree getting into a city is not as smooth as it needs to be (I mean, why the hell do I have to select my character, select the city then select my character again?) but it still beats all the loops I have to run through to get ad-hoc party running.

As for your question marks. I agree underwater combat is a mostly neutral addition but the new kitchen and farm are a no brainer. They are huge, huge improvements. My only complaint is the limits on which bugs you can breed.

Now, of course I don't think Tri is perfect. For all it's improvements, so far, I feel the new roster falls a tiny bit flat when compared to the first gen. But then again I still haven't unlocked the 5* quests yet so that may change when I finally get into the real meat.

DISCUSSION TIME

1.) To be fair, I went from MH(G) to MHFU and skipped two, but the scale between those two titles is ENORMOUS compared to Tri. The reboot has it's pluses, but I think it just feels like a bit of a truncated experience in the end, and certainly very repetitive going into high rank and repeating so early

The amount of content and systems and game there in general is just so sweeping, going from 1g to 2g. They should have at least taken some of the 2/2G stuff and went regional on them with unique traits and colors/features as opposed to taking first gen stuff again.

MH3 is just a bit anemic as it stands, I can't imagine how murderously fast I would've kicked through this game if I wasn't farming equipment I didnt need to ridicuous rate this time. :lol

We'll see how Tri shapes up when it has an expansion, or if that expansion goes to PSP or whatever, Capcom is being very quiet.

It may be a bit petty to bitch about content! I got 130 hours I think so far out of Tri. Still as much as that seems it's less than half of what I put into Freedom unite and I'm not done with that game still. :( Monster Hunter is one of the few franchises I really stick to , so it's nice to get a lot out of it. I try to play more of less games, in recent years.

2.) I'll agree to an extent here, the weapons have a closer balance than ever before, but at least bring over the damned bow. Gunner armor NEEDS that second weapon.

3.) I was fine with the old system, the variety was there with the monster roster to make it worth it, and it's a lot easier to weave in various types of guns so they act more like the melee system where you might use this gun for this, or this gun for that.

Even if there was a giant roster like in MHFU, I dont think the new system would work still. I would agree they could do more, but make it through tweaks to a fully purchased/created gun, not buying random parts that, even I as a spreadsheet/inventory geek cant get into

4.) It takes a staggering amount of time to get online and into the rooms on the Wii. Meanwhile, on PSP, it takes less than 5 seconds to go between your online hall and your town. With the addition of real online on PSP though, I can see Capcom overdesigning the online again and getting the same thing

Adhoc Party works like a dream for me and it's more functional than the average console online title. :lol Best program any console maker has ever put out. I get such incredible use out of that thing.

5.) I dunno, I really liked the Felyne kitchen. It's a lot of micro and a lot of work, but you could get some great results from it and it was humorous and full of life. Just sitting down to an arcadey table is kind of bland to me.

The new farm is kind of dull. It's less varried, but more productive. So half the time I hate it and half the time I love it. It's missing several types of nodes and all of the interaction is gone, and a lot of that had some great personality.

Like Bombing the mines, hitting the bug tree with the hammer, firing the nets for fishing, the funny stuff with Trenya and his voyages, etc.

The new farm is OK too it just needs to be expanded and maybe have some more variety at the cost of production. I do almost think its a bit broken how easily it is to get honey and flashbugs from it.

Alex

Kyoufu said:
Rebuilt from scratch how? They're almost identical to previous games minus a new move.

They have new models, and they're much more fluid, only a few new moves though, yeah.

I think the fluidity of the patterns in Tri is the most striking difference. There's less transitional periods and downtime, and even when it occurs, it usually occurs for a reason.

No more Rathian growling at you 3 times in a row while you smack her face apart with a hammer. :lol

Top Bottom