• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Just drove away Cedeaus as I mucked up the first dragonator so ive "finished" the off-line. I want to try and get the sarq lance I want a good one to learn with..

oracrest

JudgeN said:
MHF2 added this list of sweet ass monsters:

* Tigrex (the game's flagship monster)
* Congalala
* Blangonga
* Kushala Daora
* Shen Gao Ren
* Rajang
* Daimyo Hermitaur
* Shogun Ceanataur
* Lunastra
* Teostra
* White Fatalis
* Akantor

Your hate for them hurts me deep :lol

yeah, MHF2 was great. Akantor was the biggest challenge so far, it took a good 20 times for my and my friend to take him down. Eventually getting the tail cut off was a great victory in and of itself. We try not to FAQ cheat either, but live and learn the old fashioned way.

Haunted

Yeah, I got jealous when I browsed through the previous monster bosses on the wiki - the addition of different types of monsters (Horses, Apes, Crabs, Jellyfish(uh...) etc.) seems extremely cool to me.

I think there's huge potential for different monster types based on other animals in the future.

edit: ALSO! I totally did not know that (some?) rustshards could be upgraded to actual good weapons. Now I feel really bad for throwing those away because I thought they're rubbish base weapons. I must've thrown away a good 10-15 of those during my 100+ hours playtime... :(

All right, got my full Agnaktor set for my Lance guarding purposes!

I really need to farm Royal Ludroth in the Arena for 4 more coins, so I can forge the Sharq Attack lance :D

Haunted said:
Yeah, I totally got jeealous when I browsed through the previous monster bosses on the wiki - the addition of different types of monsters (Apes, Crabs, etc.) seems extremely cool to me.

Too many simple Dragon types in Tri, imo. It's Monster Hunter, not Dragon Hunter. :p I think there's huge potential for different monster types based on other animals in the future. Bear monster! :eek:

I completely agree. I love the Tri roster but it's a bit theropod dinosaur thing heavy. Actually, other than the likes of Gobul and Gigginox almost everything is an archosaur derivative. I'd like to see more animal form variety. I'd also like to see herbivorous boss monsters: an elephant monster would be cool.

ShinNL

DragonGirl said:
I completely agree. I love the Tri roster but it's a bit theropod dinosaur thing heavy. Actually, other than the likes of Gobul and Gigginox almost everything is an archosaur derivative. I'd like to see more animal form variety. I'd also like to see herbivorous boss monsters: an elephant monster would be cool.
I hope they don't add stuff like Bulldrome again. Not cool.

MHF2 had too many downgraded Rajangs and crabs.

If I could vote for 1 returning monster for a hypothetical Tri G, I would vote for...
Kirin.

With Tri's engine and quality of animation... that would be like a Shadow of the Colossus-like Agro horse of epic thunderness :O

I don't mind if they stuck with more fantasy dragon design than basing on real animals like they did in MHF2. Crabs and monkeys. Meh.

Haunted

DragonGirl said:
You know, I didn't know much about Monster Hunter before starting Tri, so I thought it being mostly a dragon and leviathan hunting affair was par for the course. My mind was pretty much blown when I saw these guys on the wiki:

Isan.png
Bobakonga.png
400px-Kirin.png

ShinNL

Haunted said:
1. Bulldrome

2. Congalala

3. Kirin
Haha, right after my post. Bulldrome and Congalala might look cool in those pictures, but they really really aren't. They battles with them are never epic, because their movements are boring. They're more like joke monsters.

Kirin is pre-2 and has slain many hunters :p

Haunted

Soneet said:
Haha, right after my post. Bulldrome and Congalala might look cool in those pictures, but they really really aren't. They battles with them are never epic, because their movements are boring. They're more like joke monsters.

Kirin is pre-2 and has slain many hunters :p
Ah, that's a bummer. :/ But hey, at least they look cool. :lol

Of course it's a challenge to create unique, interesting monsters which are not only cool to look at and observe, but also sport learnable attack patterns that make for a fun fight. Plenty of games before have utterly failed with good intentions in that regard. Designing a good boss is an art in itself, and making a game that's predominantly nothing but bosses is pretty much as tough as it gets, game design wise. But honestly, I think they managed to hit this balance exceptionally well for most* of the monster bosses in Tri.

But I can't be the only one to see the awesome possibilities of a properly done ape monster. Quick mobility that does not look out of place, the increased verticality (with the ape climbing, leaping and swinging through trees)... oh well.

*Diablos can go fuck right off, though. :p

Haunted said:
managed to hit this balance exceptionally well for most* of the monster bosses in Tri.

But I can't be the only one to see the awesome possibilities of a properly done ape monster. Quick mobility that does not look out of place, the increased verticality (with the ape climbing, leaping and swinging through trees)... oh well.
Rahjan.jpg

Ignore Soneet he is a fool ;p

.Yian Garuga was pretty neat aswell. Theres just a shed load of more interesting monsters and with that come loads more armours and weapons :lol

oracrest

Johnlenham said:
Rahjan.jpg

.Yian Garuga was pretty neat aswell. Theres just a shed load of more interesting monsters and with that come loads more armours and weapons :lol

Rajang, indeed...

rajangblast.jpg

ShinNL

Johnlenham said:
Rahjan.jpg

Hey, I said I liked Rajang :(

Just not the weaker clones of him :p

gotee12

Question time...

I'm working towards the Sharq Attaq lance and all I need are the 5 Ludroth coins. According to the wiki, you get these from the offline Arena. So I go and beat him 5 times and get the 5 coins. Now when I go back into the game, it doesn't show any Ludroth coins in my inventory. When in the offline Arena, it asks which save I want to use (from either the console or remote) and I always use the same save I've used all along. Any help would be most appreciated...

Edit: I've found where all the coins I've accumulated are kept under "Rewards" on the Equipment menu. How do I "transfer" those over to the storage chest? Highly confused.

Nicktals

Banned
So, can someone briefly talk about upcoming games? Tri is my first experience, and needless to say, I'm now a huge huge fan. I've heard people mention 'freedom 3'. What is this? Is it just the name they give the PSP versions? It is for the PSP, right?

I'm pretty confident I'll end up buying several more MH games in the future, so I'm just curious what is planned (as far as we know).

Nicktals

Banned
gotee12 said:
Question time...

I'm working towards the Sharq Attaq lance and all I need are the 5 Ludroth coins. According to the wiki, you get these from the offline Arena. So I go and beat him 5 times and get the 5 coins. Now when I go back into the game, it doesn't show any Ludroth coins in my inventory. When in the offline Arena, it asks which save I want to use (from either the console or remote) and I always use the same save I've used all along. Any help would be most appreciated...

Talk to the felyne who lives in your house (chamberlain i think). There is an option to import Arena data. I've never done it, but I assume this is how it is done.

Disguises

gotee12 said:
Question time...

I think you have to go to the cat (Chamberlyne) in your offline house and request the rewards from him. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: BEATED

Tried doing the quest myself but got to 27 sharks and was disconnected :(. Will try again tomorrow!

Nicktals said:
So, can someone briefly talk about upcoming games? Tri is my first experience, and needless to say, I'm now a huge huge fan. I've heard people mention 'freedom 3'. What is this? Is it just the name they give the PSP versions? It is for the PSP, right?

I'm pretty confident I'll end up buying several more MH games in the future, so I'm just curious what is planned (as far as we know).

Monster hunter Freedom Unite (or 2G) is the most recent PSP version, Its kind of the definitive version aswell.
250px-MHFUcover.jpg

Freedom 3 is a newly announced one coming some point this year with a kewl new beast
Aoashira.png

gotee12

Thanx a ton, Nicktals & Disguises. I was going to head out and buy Red Dead Redemption
Not really...
in retaliation if I was going to have to spend the time collecting those coins again..

Poyunch

Haha my first game of that Barroth event quest and I got 6 hellhunter tags. Nice. :lol My teammates got nothing though. :(

But two games of that sharq event and I still don't get the last sharq mat I need for the lance.

Alex

For Monster Hunter, there's two games and two expansions. The expansions include prior content, lots of revisions and new content, and are refered to as "G".

Anyone big on MH needs to have MHFU. It's 1G + 2G, basically, it's everything before Tri.

PSP games are usually small remixes of the console games, called Portable in JP and Freedom in US/EU.

Freedom 3 looks a bit different than before though, it seems to be either a continuation or a separate stream from Tri. New region, new content, returning content, tweaked content. It's certainly a different standard than before. Maybe it's the (first, maybe?) G for the third generation?

One random thing I want to say while it's on my mind is that it's odd though that they elude to the Gunlances as being a prototype in MH Tri from a foreign land (clearly the Asia-esque land the trader is from) when it was already done in another region in MH2.

I'm still finishing up some weapons and such in Tri. It's getting rough to find good enough players to reliably break some of these things apart though.

botticus

I finally got myself to do something after a week-plus away - beat Great Baggi!

Didn't expect him to be quite so easy. My paralysis sword probably contributed; only had to use a few potions when getting overconfident or sleeped a couple times.

Of course Gigginox can't keep himself away. I'm kinda terrified of fighting him even though he has yet to touch me.

gotee12

botticus said:
Of course Gigginox can't keep himself away. I'm kinda terrified of fighting him even though he has yet to touch me.
That's the only monster that I have met so far that I have 0% interest in ever fighting again...

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
gotee12 said:
That's the only monster that I have met so far that I have 0% interest in ever fighting again...

Poison sucks. And when a monster use it a lot, it sucks even more. Stun + poison + monster ready to charge you = Very bad.

Hiltz

Been trying to get 2 Lagiacrus horns. Need em to get the Lagiacrus helmet to complete the set. Slayed 3 of em and captured another but no luck so far even after breaking off the head horns.

udivision

How well is this game selling? Do you think they'll make a sequel?

I guess I'm only asking this because at first it was all "This game is awesome, Wii owners get!" and now it's like "They could improve X, Y and Z" and it'd be awesome.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Hiltz said:
Been trying to get 2 Lagiacrus horns. Need em to get the Lagiacrus helmet to complete the set. Slayed 3 of em and captured another but no luck so far even after breaking off the head horns.

Really? I get a horn pratically everytime i break them while fighting him.

udivision said:
How well is this game selling? Do you think they'll make a sequel?

I guess I'm only asking this because at first it was all "This game is awesome, Wii owners get!" and now it's like "They could improve X, Y and Z" and it'd be awesome.
No doubt on whether there'll be a sequel(s). The answers that people want have to do with whether it'll be released in non Japanese markets, what console, etc.

Hiltz said:

I remember when I needed horns and they would never drop. Now I get them all the time.

Do a quest and immediately break his face(horns) and then end via subquest. You should get a horn in the rewards screen for doing that unless I'm mistaken.

Hiltz

Thanks, I'll try doing that then.

I guess it's just bad luck. I've broken the head horns on Lagiacrus every time as well as scarred its chest and broken its spiky back too during non-quests. I usually get scales and hide as a carving reward but got two shell shockers one time. I've tried capturing him but found i to not be worthwhile unless I want one of those Sea king scale items to trade with the sea captian. Even Cha Cha usually comes away empty handed when I've set one of his abilities to focus on gathering during carvings. Usually just get a scale or a hide.

Apparently, the game sold something like 126k copies in North America for the first 10 days of its release. It placed 11th on the top 10 NPD charts.

Hiltz said:
Thanks, I'll try doing that then.

I guess it's just bad luck. I've broken the head horns on Lagiacrus every time as well as scarred its chest and broken its spiky back too during non-quests. I usually get scales and hide as a carving reward but got two shell shockers one time. I've tried capturing him but found i to not be worthwhile unless I want one of those Sea king scale items to trade with the sea captian. Even Cha Cha usually comes away empty handed when I've set one of his abilities to focus on gathering during carvings. Usually just get a scale or a hide.

Apparently, the game sold something like 126k copies in North America for the first 10 days of its release. It placed 11th on the top 10 NPD charts.

Hmm, is it even possible to get his horns by carving? I don't think I've ever seen that happen. Can anyone else let us know?

Hiltz

Well, I tried looking it up in the Monster Hunter Tri wiki at the monster carvings/rewards section. It doesn't seem to list Lagiacrus horns as a possible carving. Maybe that's why I'm having bad luck. :lol

Poyunch

Tenbatsu said:
Not sure if the skill 'Capture Guru' works as I never try before. Maybe you can give it a try. But why do you want to repel it? Sympathy?
More rewards. Maybe I got the wrong information but as I know if you repel it and return to the quest it retains the damage from the repel. So rather than kill it and get rewards I can repel it, get some rewards, and then kill it for even more rewards.

Tenbatsu

^
Yeah you can do that. But I usually kill it as it is faster, less than 20mins. With rare 7 weapons of course lol.

Lance Bone Path said:
I like what they did with giving people a special gem to encourage people to wear different armor sets from their peers, but it seems a little bit pointless when there are so few weapons and armors to choose from.
Mixing with the concept of making armor based on skills rather than the other way round. The main reason you find that there is not much option is because you choose armor to decide on their skills rather than skills to decide on your armor.

Do not farm for armors in MH3, but rather charms. There's a difference between the japanese and the western players. Japanese built their armor based on armor skills whereas the western built them based on stats/looks(?). I think it is the fact that this is their first MH hence they do not know the different armor skills and their usage.

Kyuuketsu_Night said:
Hmm, is it even possible to get his horns by carving? I don't think I've ever seen that happen. Can anyone else let us know?
No only as rewards.

Luigiv

Would any PAL gaffers care to join me in Sharq slaying? I'll be on the usual server (Recruiting/Wisdom 1/Gate 40).

Edit: Bleh screw it.

If anyone is interested in doing the Alluring Dress event quest with me later, PM me and we can arrange a time.

orion434

I am the uber-noob to the Monster Hunter Franchise and I wanted to ask some questions, be easy on me I read some of these posts and I have no clue what you people are talking about.

1. I read the first page and it's suggested that I do not go directly to Gunner-class? I'm coming off of Phantasy Star Universe ( ~ 2000 hours ) and 3/4 of my chacaters were gunners. I tried Sword and Shield, and I had problems with setting up my attacks, like facing the right way and such. I saved up enough $$$ and I purchased the Medium Bowgun + Full Hunter Set Armor for Gunners from the shop. I'm really enjoying this class... I have some cool bullets and even the normal bullets are my type of play, and I like 1st person mode the most because I'm playing with the classic-controller. My only concern is "Am I gonna regret this later" I've read that there are Healing Bullets and this would effectively combine 2 of my favorite classes from PSU.

2. Are Armor Shperes a Rare drop? I got 5 from the Offline quest and I'm not really sure if I should just save them for Armor later or if I should upgrade each piece of my Hunter set. Also where can I see what Armor skills these armors have... if they have any at all?

3. Where can I see what Hunter Rank I am... I read people saying they are HR 19 or HR 50? Also how do you increase that value? Is this only part of the online aspect?

I'm sorry if I sould like such a noob... because I am, it's my first Monster Hunter game and I read the "Ten Commandments" and was very helpful, if anyone has suggestions on what I should do next or any guidance it would be much appreciated.

markatisu

rayner said:
2. Are Armor Shperes a Rare drop? I got 5 from the Offline quest and I'm not really sure if I should just save them for Armor later or if I should upgrade each piece of my Hunter set. Also where can I see what Armor skills these armors have... if they have any at all?

No not rare, you can check out the MH Wiki (should be linked in the first thread) to see all the armors and their attributes

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3

3. Where can I see what Hunter Rank I am... I read people saying they are HR 19 or HR 50? Also how do you increase that value? Is this only part of the online aspect?

HR is online only, once you go online and do quests it will increase. Afterwards you can also see your HR when you select your save file (along with playtime and your current equipment set)

Here is a list of the quests, many are the ones you have already done so you only need to do Key Quests to get the URGENT quest to open and move on to the next *

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Online_Quests

While online you can check your status and it will tell you how much exp you need to get to the next level.

A suggestion before hopping online is to at least have finished your 1* offline (killing Great Jaggi, Peco, etc), 2* offline if possible and that should give you enough experience to not kill yourself or be pain to your party

explodet

I might be totally late to the party on this, but there's a strategy going around about the Gigginox fight. Gigginox tracks prey by heat, so this strat takes advantage of it. I haven't been able to tackle him yet to try it out, but it goes like this:

1) Drink cold drinks (and not a hot drink at the same time) to render yourself nigh invisible to Gig.
2) Have one of your hunting party carry a torch and Gig will primarily target that hunter. Let them lead Gig around while the other hunters wail on him.
3) Light the torches in area 5 to keep the heat off the other hunters.

Anybody heard about this/try it out yet?

Nicktals

Banned
explodet said:
I might be totally late to the party on this, but there's a strategy going around about the Gigginox fight. Gigginox tracks prey by heat, so this strat takes advantage of it. I haven't been able to tackle him yet to try it out, but it goes like this:

1) Drink cold drinks (and not a hot drink at the same time) to render yourself nigh invisible to Gig.
2) Have one of your hunting party carry a torch and Gig will primarily target that hunter. Let them lead Gig around while the other hunters wail on him.
3) Light the torches in area 5 to keep the heat off the other hunters.

Anybody heard about this/try it out yet?

Hmm...Interesting. But if this is correct, then could you just light a torch, then have the player who lit it extinguish his, and then just wail while giggi try to eat the torch?

lol. that'd be kind of awesome if it works...Unfortunately I can't test it out right now.

Top Bottom