• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

explodet

Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention regarding the Gigginox strat I posted earlier: from what I heard, you should have at least one target for Gig to track because if it's getting beat up and he can't sense who's doing it, he'll just start spewing poison all over the place which can get pretty messy.
Again, big grains of salt as this is all second-hand info and I haven't verified it for myself.

I just started on the online 3* quests so I need to catch up on my offline where I still need to hunt Lagi. I'd like to get a full Baggi set but those damn ice crystals are hard to find.
Oh, and fuck powderstones.

Mafro

Any of EuroGAF fancy helping me complete some 1* quests in around half an hour or so? It's mostly the gahtering ones, though :|

Nicktals

Banned
Mafro said:
Any of EuroGAF fancy helping me complete some 1* quests in around half an hour or so? It's mostly the gahtering ones, though :|

Go here: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Online_Quests

Look at the ones that say "key quests". Those are the only ones you need to do to open up the next level of quests.

Many gathering quests are not key quests, and there's no reason to do them unless you're simply trying to complete every quest.

EDIT: Although you may already know that...since 1 star does have a couple gathering quests that are key quests.

selig

Banned
woah, really bad day today. First failing a Uragan (hey, I never beat one before, it´s new for me :/), and then my group fails a mere Barioth. Enough for the day.

Luigiv

explodet said:
I might be totally late to the party on this, but there's a strategy going around about the Gigginox fight. Gigginox tracks prey by heat, so this strat takes advantage of it. I haven't been able to tackle him yet to try it out, but it goes like this:

1) Drink cold drinks (and not a hot drink at the same time) to render yourself nigh invisible to Gig.
2) Have one of your hunting party carry a torch and Gig will primarily target that hunter. Let them lead Gig around while the other hunters wail on him.
3) Light the torches in area 5 to keep the heat off the other hunters.

Anybody heard about this/try it out yet?
explodet said:
Oh, one more thing I forgot to mention regarding the Gigginox strat I posted earlier: from what I heard, you should have at least one target for Gig to track because if it's getting beat up and he can't sense who's doing it, he'll just start spewing poison all over the place which can get pretty messy.
Again, big grains of salt as this is all second-hand info and I haven't verified it for myself.

I just started on the online 3* quests so I need to catch up on my offline where I still need to hunt Lagi. I'd like to get a full Baggi set but those damn ice crystals are hard to find.
Oh, and fuck powderstones.
I think I'm going to have to put this rumour to the test tomorrow morning. Sounds plausible but part of me still thinks the team just wouldn't go to the effort to program a custom behaviour like that.

Well on the topic of Gigginox tips, here's one I figured out myself. It's not as fancy as a hidden exploit but it's something I've been meaning to share regardless.

If you want to break Gigginox's chest (which you will need to, along with it's head, to get Fearsome Maws) with a Hammer, the best angle to strike at is just behind it's wings. Almost all your strikes will hit it's chest from here, including the super pound. The risk to this strategy is belly flops are difficult to dodge and poison belly flops are near impossible, so make sure you keep your health high and pack the antidotes.

orion434

markatisu said:
No not rare, you can check out the MH Wiki (should be linked in the first thread) to see all the armors and their attributes

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3

HR is online only, once you go online and do quests it will increase. Afterwards you can also see your HR when you select your save file (along with playtime and your current equipment set)

Here is a list of the quests, many are the ones you have already done so you only need to do Key Quests to get the URGENT quest to open and move on to the next *

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Online_Quests

While online you can check your status and it will tell you how much exp you need to get to the next level.

A suggestion before hopping online is to at least have finished your 1* offline (killing Great Jaggi, Peco, etc), 2* offline if possible and that should give you enough experience to not kill yourself or be pain to your party

Thanx I'll check that Wiki when I get home... I did play 1 quest online, the Shroom Gathering quest, and I didn't want to waste an Armor Sphere if they are hard to come by. :D

Those suggestions would explain why, and this is something I only noticed recently, Gigginox would go running towards any torch I'd light in the cave right after I lit it -- and would just keep a bee line going for that torch long after I left its location. Most other monsters would attempt to strike you if you met them halfway on their path to you, but Gigginox runs right past me and to the torch I lit. So, I think that much is valid.

Amalthea

Banned
I'm getting nowhere online, stucked with 1* Missions and HR4 I tried to do the Sharq mission solo and won it at the 3rd try. Yay, but wait... you need multiple tickets to forge the Sharq lance. :I

*phew* I don't think I'll do this solo again...

Boney

Banned
Tyrant_Onion said:
I'm getting nowhere online, stucked with 1* Missions and HR4 I tried to do the Sharq mission solo and won it at the 3rd try. Yay, but wait... you need multiple tickets to forge the Sharq lance. :I

*phew* I don't think I'll do this solo again...
Why are you playing online solo?

Korigama

After a brief session of trying out the first Long Sword available, "holy shit" were the words that came to mind time and again (starting to see why they waited so long before making them an option).

Error codes are now just flying at me, and cannot play. ill need help identifying some of them

Error code: 11619
Error code: 11674
Error code: 11625
"Connection terminated due to network instability"

john tv

Setvan2734 said:
Error codes are now just flying at me, and cannot play. ill need help identifying some of them

Error code: 11619
Error code: 11674
Error code: 11625
"Connection terminated due to network instability"
I had this once -- turned out someone was torrenting, and when they stopped, the errors went away. Maybe make sure your bandwidth isn't being hogged up by something else?

Mafro

Added some of the Euro people just before I went offline there. Goddam, you guys are around 30 levels higher than me :lol

ShinNL

Some good hunts Faust and Sar!

I'd like to share something, as almost everyone gets surprised by it:
If you play online a lot, use TAB on your keyboard in the text-input to whisper people, even people in the lobby. Using this in combination with lobby chat turned on (in online options), you can communicate with people while you're in a quest. This is great because with lobby chat on you can see who enters and leaves and you can read their chat perfectly. I usually tell people how long it takes before the quest is done. Or I just abandon the quest if I just started.

Soneet said:

If you play online a lot, use TAB on your keyboard in the text-input to whisper people, even people in the lobby. Using this in combination with lobby chat turned on (in online options), you can communicate with people while you're in a quest. This is great because with lobby chat on you can see who enters and leaves and you can read their chat perfectly. I usually tell people how long it takes before the quest is done. Or I just abandon the quest if I just started.
This sounds very useful.

Is there a way to tell if you've whispered something?

Mafro

What's the easiest way to get thunderbugs? I need five of them to upgrade my bone axe to an assault axe.

Also, what does the -20% affinity in the axe's stats section mean exactly?

Kyoufu

Mafro said:
What's the easiest way to get thunderbugs? I need five of them to upgrade my bone axe to an assault axe.

20% chance to deal 25% less damage on an attack.

If it was +20% affinity instead, then you'd have a 20% chance to deal 25% MORE damage. Its basically a critical hit stat.

As for thunderbugs, I ended up buying like 300 of them from the peddler online, but its rare for him to sell them.

Nicktals

Banned
Mafro said:

I'm pretty sure you can get thunderbugs just about anywhere. Carry a bug net with you all the time, and when you see a butterfly, hope for the best!

Also, you can sometimes buy them online from the kid peddler, or trade for them offline with the argosy captain.

Disguises

oracrest said:
animal cruelty made fuuUUUUUUUUUU!!!
So, SO true.

I'll be online later (EU) if there's any space free in any cities :). I'd love to try for the hellhunter jacket by doing that event quest :).

Mafro

Hmmmm, guess I'll just have to farm commodities and get some off the captain. I'm pretty sure the online trader didn't have any when I checked earlier.

Nicktals said:
I'm pretty sure you can get thunderbugs just about anywhere. Carry a bug net with you all the time, and when you see a butterfly, hope for the best!
Some locations are better than others. Volcano has two bug gathering spots right by the base camp and both of them can yield thunderbugs, so that's probably a good place to hit up if you're going to be doing some mining anyway.

Dreavus

Soneet said:

Oh WHAT? For some reason I thought the lobby people could read in-quest chat all the time. I'm going to have to start using this. :lol

Duress

This Jehn Morhen, festival of fear, quest is killing me. 3 attempts and they all ran the time limit and ended wih the ship destroyed.

oracrest

Mafro said:
What's the easiest way to get thunderbugs?

a good rule of thumb is that the further away from camp, the bigger chance of getting a thunderbug. The white butterflies have a bigger chance of giving thunderbugs than the yellow, at least in the first set of missions.

The vendor right at the entrance of town sells them from time to time, and you can load up then.

Boney

Banned
Duress said:
This Jehn Morhen, festival of fear, quest is killing me. 3 attempts and they all ran the time limit and ended wih the ship destroyed.
Bring Dragon weapons, keep shooting ALL the time. Use the dragon bombs on his horns. And make sure you land the Dragonator both times. And use the Gong and Ballista Binders to cancel his attacks. Speed Gatherer skill doesn't hurt, but it's definately not necesary.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
My one issue with the game, and its not really with the game itself, is that I have so little time to play during the week, especially online, that I'm really really behind (only at 9), and so consequently its a struggle finding people to play with, at least in the gaf server.

kinggroin

Banned
schuelma said:
My one issue with the game, and its not really with the game itself, is that I have so little time to play during the week, especially online, that I'm really really behind (only at 9), and so consequently its a struggle finding people to play with, at least in the gaf server.

Right schuelma, that's more an issue with LIFE :lol

schuelma

kinggroin said:
Right schuelma, that's more an issue with LIFE :lol

I guess its more a problem with you crazy people playing it so much :lol

schuelma said:
If we played it as little as you did, you'd have posted about struggling to find any people on the gaf server. :p

botticus

schuelma said:
Uh oh, you're leaving me in the dust!

Mafro

oracrest said:
a good rule of thumb is that the further away from camp, the bigger chance of getting a thunderbug. The white butterflies have a bigger chance of giving thunderbugs than the yellow, at least in the first set of missions.

The vendor right at the entrance of town sells them from time to time, and you can load up then.
Went to Sandy Plains and found around ten of them in around five minutes :lol

schuelma

Lance Bone Path said:
If we played it as little as you did, you'd have posted about struggling to find any people on the gaf server. :p
Never thought of it that way!

Pancho

Qurupancho
w00t got my quru+ set with some randoms that got in the gaf server. If you're lurkers of GAF and are now reading this, thanks!

Now I'm really Qurupancho:lol

Edit: fuck! Now my battery's dead :lol

Ridley327

I'll be heading on in a bit to do some more farming for the rest of my mats that I need for my Hunter+ set; feel free to join at your own leisure!

Top Bottom