• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Nisa65

Finally beat the Alatreon urgent last night and then did it twice more for other players. He's not too hard once you know his attacks, it's just all the flying about he does that makes him a pain to take down. Joe on the other hand is a complete piece of piss, was surprised how easily he can be taken down.

Leezard

bigdaddygamebot said:
But...but then your armour doesn't match.

I...sorry. I'm having trouble coping here.

That's what you use the symbol color for. (Too bad some armors only get details colored)

Mugaaz

bigdaddygamebot said:

Not all top tier armors aren't a single set.

With full Vengis I can have Sharpness +1, Attack up Large, Crit Draw, and Autotracker.

Tenbatsu

bigdaddygamebot said:

You can mix good looking sets actually, let me see if I can show u a few. Getting the skills you want and making sure the armor combi looks good is an art itself :lol

DataBot

Mugaaz said:
Not all top tier armors aren't a single set.

With full Vengis I can have Sharpness +1, Attack up Large, Crit Draw, and Autotracker.

Does my english suck this much im getting a headache trying to understand this.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
About to reach HR 17, kind of annoying to grind all those Rathians to get HR points though, weve had no difficulty with any monsters, but having to kill 20897 of them just to level (and still get no plates :lol ) is kind of lame.

Oh well, once we get those 3 star quests we can start farming much better mobs, so thats close :) These Fire LongSwords are wrecking all sorts of shit.

Hiltz

Are their any recommended armor skills that are useful against Diablos offline ?

Also, which is easier to use against him, Switch Axe, Long Sword or Sword & Shield ?

Hiltz said:
Are their any recommended armor skills that are useful against Diablos offline ?

Also, which is easier to use against him, Switch Axe, Long Sword or Sword & Shield ?
My immediate reaction is omg to those weapon options. I'd pick a weapon that can block, so I would pick sword & shield (sns) out of those choices, but it has a mediocre block. I'd put lance and great sword before sns.

Diablos will start to roar a lot when it's starting to get weak. A weapon with the ability to guard will save you a lot of pain (but if you're good and have to use a weapon without a blocking ability, you could roll into his left leg to avoid the roar stun).

You could also try to get the high grade ear plugs armor skill. If cha-cha has the ear plugs skill, he might be able to smack you out of roar stun, but my experience with cha-cha is that he will be incapacitated when you could really use his help.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hiltz said:

Mace.

Mafro

Thanks for that Leezard :)

Goddamn Rathian's poison got me the third time, I didn't have any antidote on me.

I'm gonna head back on in an hour or so for some more.

Leezard

Mafro said:
Thanks for that Leezard :)

Goddamn Rathian's poison got me the third time, I didn't have any antidote on me.

I'm gonna head back on in an hour or so for some more.
Yeah, a bit of a bad luck. We were prob really close to killing rath as well.
I really think you should get yourself some fire resistance, it seemed like you were getting OHKO'd by the fireballs. :/

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Teknoman said:
NA or EU?
NA.

Just tried the quest a few times with a bunch of randoms.

I'm going to prepare a bunch of fucking Lifepowders for the next time I play with these noobs. Why in the hell people don't heal themselves? Ugh.

windfish

Soneet said:
Great games Faust & Selenae! Sorry for some of my hammer hits, haven't played with one in quite some time :p

yeah i dont mind getting hit now and then, its just part of the mechanic and we owned rathalos so much today it was just fun (and always is, playing in a carring and capable team).
Playing with Hunter as a Gunner was helping too since there was no other swordsman hacking and slashing around los feet and hitting each other!
oh and btw iam serious we should try to take on JOE in the near future!! Don't stop believin'!!! ;D

Hiltz

Beat Diablos on first try. However,I was kind of lucky since he made me faint twice and I only brought 3 sonic bombs and 1 trap with 1 minute left on the clock. Used the Thunderclap long sword and managed to break its horns. Is there any way to predict where he'll leap out from the underground ? That attack is quite scary!

Still no luck with Lagiacrus horns. :(

What does the Monster Hunter Tri Wiki mean by "special quest rewards" under the monster carving section? Are those only for those online special events ?

Hiltz said:
Beat Diablos on first try. However,I was kind of lucky since he made me faint twice and I only brought 3 sonic bombs and 1 trap with 1 minute left on the clock. Used the Thunderclap long sword and managed to break its horns. Is there any way to predict where he'll leap out from the underground ? That attack is quite scary!
He telegraphs it in a way similar to a gobul with a dust cloud, but if you miss the cloud, you have to watch out for the pop-out attack that's apparently aimed to intersect your trajectory, so he's a lot more dangerous than a gobul in that regard.

Because he's so big, you will probably need to do a sudden major course correction if you figure out he's got a bead on you. This attack seems to be preceded with a long wait for him to pop out of the ground, so you might want to just start sprinting in irregular zig-zags if he's taking too long to pop out.

Leezard

Just a shout out to Eurogaf:
You're all awesome! We have a great online community!

Hiltz said:
What does the Monster Hunter Tri Wiki mean by "special quest rewards" under the monster carving section? Are those only for those online special events ?
If you break the head of Lagiacrus, you may get a Horn as a special quest reward. Basically, you get them depending on how you mutliate your monster.

Dreavus

What is the deal with these ancient/rusted shards? I've probably collected about 10+ rusted shards during my MH career and around 3 ancient shards total. What is the chance that they'll be something useful (ie. a rusted sword/lance/whatever). Mine all turn out to be junk weapons. =/

Hiltz

Lance Bone Path said:
He telegraphs it in a way similar to a gobul with a dust cloud, but if you miss the cloud, you have to watch out for the pop-out attack that's apparently aimed to intersect your trajectory, so he's a lot more dangerous than a gobul in that regard.

Because he's so big, you will probably need to do a sudden major course correction if you figure out he's got a bead on you. This attack seems to be preceded with a long wait for him to pop out of the ground, so you might want to just start sprinting in irregular zig-zags if he's taking too long to pop out.

So that white dust cloud that moves around is Diablos ? I saw it every time right when he begins to move underground but then it seemed to suddenly vanish and I was left running around the area like a headless chicken. I don't know, it may have been because I wasn't paying close enough attention and that the bloom lighting of the sandy plains serves as a distraction against my eyes. He probably leaped on me about half the time.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

Leezard said:
If you break the head of Lagiacrus, you may get a Horn as a special quest reward. Basically, you get them depending on how you mutliate your monster.

Hmm... but I've broken his head horns every time. Do you have to break his horns and capture him in order to possibly get the horn reward tem or can you also kill and carve him for it ? I've tried doing all that but it just seems like I've got bad luck.

Ridley327

Dreavus said:
What is the deal with these ancient/rusted shards? I've probably collected about 10+ rusted shards during my MH career and around 3 ancient shards total. What is the chance that they'll be something useful (ie. a rusted sword/lance/whatever). Mine all turn out to be junk weapons. =/

I got a Rustshard that turned into a Rusted Great Sword! :boast

Leezard

Hiltz said:
Hmm... but I've broken his head horns every time. Do you have to break his horns and capture him in order to possibly get the horn reward tem or can you also kill and carve him for it ? I've tried doing all that but it just seems like I've got bad luck.
Kill or capture, doesn't matter. If you've broken the horns you have (according to MHwiki) 64% chance to get a Horn during quest rewards. You will never get a horn by carving, but you will be able to get it no matter if you kill or capture.

Hiltz

Leezard said:
Kill or capture, doesn't matter. If you've broken the horns you have (according to MHwiki) 64% chance to get a Horn during quest rewards. You will never get a horn by carving, but you will be able to get it no matter if you kill or capture.

So it has to be during a hunt or capture quest, right?

Leezard

Hiltz said:
In my experience, yes. I'm not quite 100% sure, but I believe you will only get the special quest rewards if you actually do a quest. You always get more mats when doing quests anyway, so there's no point in going Free Hunt for mats.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Hiltz said:
There are two levels of "horn breaking" on Lagiacrus. First, his left horn breaks, then his right. I'm certain you only get credit, and a chance at the reward, if you break both.

Owzers

I've been having a hard time with Urgent 5* Alatreon. Any tips? I know that you can use the two ledges to get him stuck and flash bombs seem to work if you line them up right while he's flying....but still doing terribly to the point where we abandon the quest if we die twice so we stop wasting supplies.

botticus

Barroth is very annoying. Getting rid of the Jaggi was easy enough, but Qurupeco didn't want to leave me alone, and Barroth rarely failed to land combos - where a combo is one random attack that knocks you over leaving you open to the next charge that you are inexplicably unable to avoid from the other side of the area. Maybe the next one I face won't be 20% bigger than the first one.

But it's okay, I like wasting 45 minutes and all my potions.

Top Bottom