• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hiltz

The good news is that I already completed the Diablos hunt quest on the first try. Used a thunderclap long sword and Rathian armor set.

I was just trying to fight him a second time for fun. The sad part is he beat me while using thunderclap+ long sword and Rathalos armor set.

The thing is, both times I was down to 1 minute left on the clock. :lol

I don't have any problem taking on Barioth so I'll try to get the Icicle Spike sword and shield. Thanks for the help. :)

sonicspear64 said:
I really want one because I wanna be a LS user, but I need 2 more Gobul Spikes and Baggi Hides. :(

I was lucky because I got the Gobul Spikes on my first run at Gobul. I think I still have two left.

Going from Greatsword to Longsword is pretty amazing. I tore a R. Ludroth in half without breaking a sweat.

Hiltz

The long sword is indeed awesome.

Really came in handy against monsters such as Gobul, Lagiacrus and Barioth.

It's like the weapon players use if they're not into wielding the stronger, longer but slower Great Sword. The speed is really why I personally prefer it over the GS, besides if you use something else like a Hammer, Lance or a Switch Axe, its just nice to have a secondary faster weapon available even though it has no ability to block.

It's the secondary weapon I use.

Hiltz said:
The long sword is indeed awesome.

Really came in handy against monsters such as Gobul, Lagiacrus and Barioth.

It's like the weapon players use if they're not into wielding the stronger, longer but slower Great Sword. The speed is really why I personally prefer it over the GS, besides if you use something else like a Hammer, Lance or a Switch Axe, its just nice to have a secondary faster weapon available even though it has no ability to block.

It's the secondary weapon I use.

Greatsword is great for knocking back crowds. But defence is useless to me anyway. I only ever dodge...but that is probably because I always mained a Longsword in Freedom 2.

I now have a newfound appreciation for Greatsword thanks to Tri. I'll still be alternating to GS regularly I think, and the skills (and patience!) it forced me to learn make the LS even deadlier.

Win-win, I should think.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there some trick in using Flash bombs against flying monsters? I keep wasting mine on Rathalos(yes, im still on that guy for its fucking Plate) because it doesn't do anything. But i know they sometime can stun them in the air and fall to the ground... do they need to be more wounded, not in the middle of an attack, out of rage mode, or anything else?

Fought Agnaktor for the 1st time too, he wasnt as bad as i thought he would be. Even easier than Uragaan, Barioth or Diablos, not 1 single death on the 1st try. <3 Water Long Sword.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Bisnic said:
Is there some trick in using Flash bombs against flying monsters? I keep wasting mine on Rathalos(yes, im still on that guy for its fucking Plate) because it doesn't do anything. But i know they sometime can stun them in the air and fall to the ground... do they need to be more wounded, not in the middle of an attack, out of rage mode, or anything else?

Fought Agnaktor for the 1st time too, he wasnt as bad as i thought he would be. Even easier than Uragaan & Barioth, not 1 single death on the 1st try. <3 Water Long Sword.
they made it harder to aim them. You just have to get it almost right in the center of their field of view to get a dizzy.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm about to forge my first longsword. I really want Thunderclap but I can already make the one from the materials from the two Raths, which is more powerful. I'll probably make that one first and then grab Thunderclap when I can.

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
That's helpful, but unless I know the japanese armor names I don't have an idea of what the calculators results are. From what I can gather you use the pull down menus on the left side to select the skills you want, then hit the calculate button and it will bring up a list of armor combinations to achieve that skill set.

And again, I want to thank you for the continued help.

EDIT: If the language barrier ends up being too high for me and I can't make use of this calculator, then do you have some good methods of figuring out good armor combos to achieve desired skill sets?
I used to calculate manually when the armor calculator is not available yet. You can spent 5 hrs simply by just calculating an armor set.

Basically:
1) Decide on the skills you want. For this example I will use 'Punishing Draw + Critical Draw' Reason been no armors offer them in full sets and they works well together

2) Look at your charms and see if you have any with CritDraw or PunishDraw to assist you in activating the skills

3) Look thru the armors in MHwikia for armors with those 2 skills.

4) Let's say I have a Crit Draw + 5 (7 is the max for a class B charm. You can refer to the charm list)

5) Uragaan Mail offers the most points in terms of skills with PunishDraw +3 so we will take that. Torso Multiplier like Alloy Greaves, Uragaan Greaves etc are great for achieving the skills you want. Diablos Vambraces CritDraw +5 so we will take that too

6) One combination will be: Uragaan Helm, Uragaan Mail, Diablos Vambraces, Uragaan Faulds, Alloy Greaves + Charm with CritDraw +5 and these are my skills:
1. CritDraw +10
2. PunishDraw +10
3. Defense Up (S) +11
4. Bombardier +10 (Will add in Bombardier Jewel (Bomb Boost +2 1 slot) to activate the skill)

This is just a simple example, there are many many ways to activate the above skills. You can even use two torso multiplier or armors with lots of slots.

Kad5

So I bought a madcatz universal component cable at gamestop...

The visuals look a little sharper but I notice in some areas the game is a little...dark?

Is this normal?

ivysaur12

Banned
Went to go buy this today.

I didn't have enough money in my checking account :( God dammit, I gotta get this AND SMG2. And since MH3 did really well (by MH standards in America), its price isn't going to drop anytime soon...

Kad5

Hawkian said:
You can turn in in-game brightness up, in the options before you select your character.

Im wondering if it was a bad idea to buy madcatz brand in the first place...

But yeah I just realized you can turn up the brightness thanks.

Dragona Akehi said:
I now have a newfound appreciation for Greatsword thanks to Tri. I'll still be alternating to GS regularly I think, and the skills (and patience!) it forced me to learn make the LS even deadlier.

Win-win, I should think.

Same situation happened to me and the Hammer due to my preparation in playing Tri (since the LS is looked for a while) one day.

Still trying to get down Hammering a Tigrex effectively (i.e no hits plus 10 mins or less)

:(

Kad5

ivysaur12 said:

I didn't have enough money in my checking account :( God dammit, I gotta get this AND SMG2. And since MH3 did really well (by MH standards in America), its price isn't going to drop anytime soon...

Get MH3 as soon as you can!

Though not before mario galaxy 2.

As much as I love MH3 Mario Galaxy 2 is probably gonna end up being better...

markatisu

ivysaur12 said:

Well for what its worth I saw it used today at Gamestop for $39.99

Many thanks to the teams that put up with me tonight, I had a target lock beacon on me or something because everytime I came into the area the monster would come right for me :lol

I only need 3 more levels (I was told 27 can do the 3* Urgent, etc) to be of use to some of you higher guys, and I need a Rathalos plate to complete that armor (grrrr)

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Oh happy day. I started farming Rathalos to make his set and on my sixth run, I managed to carve a plate from his tail. Thank you Desire sensor and your pity for me!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why is this thread the only one without a |OT| in the title?

Mods dont care about MH3 confirmed. Excluding Dragona.

sfried

Dragona Akehi said:
Greatsword is great for knocking back crowds. But defence is useless to me anyway. I only ever dodge...
Same situation ehere, only I have Auto-Guard, and you'll be thankfull for the times you blocked instead of taking damage from a failed dodge...especially on Rathian encounters, with all of those tail swipes.

That's my only gripe with using the Long Sword. I miss the guarding, and the big chop (charge attack). So satisfying lopping off the tail of those bastards.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
sfried said:
Same situation ehere, only I have Auto-Guard, and you'll be thankfull for the times you blocked instead of taking damage from a failed dodge...especially on Rathian encounters, with all of those tail swipes.

That's my only gripe with using the Long Sword. I miss the guarding, and the big chop (charge attack). So satisfying lopping off the tail of those bastards.
I kind of regret selling my Auto-Guard+10 charm.
Edit: Okay, so what's the deal with Barioth? I haven't fought him yet, but I'm assuming his moveset is similar to Tigrex? If that's the case, is it still possible to abuse it's turns and GS charge it's face?

I dug the longsword for a while but when I got to the more powerful monsters I found it extremely difficult to not get destroyed while attacking them. Now I'm mainly a Lance addict with a bit of Great Sword now and then. Love being able to chill close to a monster and block\counter everything it throws at me.

Also I've come to really enjoy the underwater combat which I hated at first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jangaroo said:
Edit: Okay, so what's the deal with Barioth? I haven't fought him yet, but I'm assuming his moveset is similar to Tigrex? If that's the case, is it still possible to abuse it's turns and GS charge it's face?

Not having played any other monster hunter...

Barioth is fast as fuck, can freeze you, and can fly.

oh and it's possessive like that there's no apostrophe sorry

Kyoufu

Jangaroo said:

His moveset is similar to Naruga (MHP2G/MHFU). Abusing his face with a GS shouldn't be a problem.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kyoufu said:
Abusing his face with a GS shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know why I'm quoting this. It just seems vaguely wrong.

Probably be on shortly even though it's like almost 3.... :p

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I just captured a Great Jaggi, Qurupeco, Royal Ludroth and a Rathian all in a single freehunt without going back to village or resting.

Armor: Great Baggi full set
Weapon: Great Sword Chieftan

I think it's safe to say I'm getting damn good at this.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Before that I took out a Great Jaggi and Captured a Rathian the FIRST TIME I ever used a Bow set just to check it out. I was surprised at how quickly I took out the Great Jaggi with that bow. The Rathian took a little longer because I expended all of my non unlimited ammo on the Great Jaggi. As you would expect I most certainly did not expect to encounter a Rathian on a Freehunt day that has only one Great Jaggi listed. I was pretty damn surprised when it landed in Area 7 for the first time just chillin smiling at me.

Just killed a baby Urugaan...pretty much child abuse.

xkpvzt.jpg

tenchir

Great progress tonight. Reach HR 31 and made a Guan Dao LS. Played the new "The Phantom Urugaan" Event and got myself a rusted GS, upgraded to an Ancient Blade.

botticus

I think that qualifies as my most epic session of MH yet, by far.

Played with a couple groups of 3 and 4 (only one person was GAF that I know of, but all awesome people) and did the Barroth urgent a couple times. Then captured the dual Barroths, killed 4 Jaggis and Qurupeco, two Rathians, Gobul (we were too overpowering to capture him), Baggi, Gigginox on a gathering quest, and capped a R. Ludroth. First time actually fighting Rathian and Gigginox, and I didn't seem to embarass myself. Got up to HR13 in the meantime. That was a fun 5 hours. As a result I'm about 4 hours past my bedtime.

robox

sonicspear64 said:
I really want one because I wanna be a LS user, but I need 2 more Gobul Spikes and Baggi Hides. :(

PROTIP: you can carve gobul while it's hiding underground. that's how i got my surplus spikes. the carve point looks like regular ol' airweed gathering points. once you carve it out though, gobul pops out.

r - b - x said:
PROTIP: you can carve gobul while it's hiding underground. that's how i got my surplus spikes. the carve point looks like regular ol' airweed gathering points. once you carve it out though, gobul pops out.

Ah, that explains how cha-cha had one in his inventory when I encountered a gobul on a quest but didn't fight it. Thought it was some weird glitch.

Does anyone know how to unlock the final 3 arena quests? Couldn't find anything on the wiki.

Scatter

Was in a good Alatreon group for once. Sleep bombed both horns off, no one died, was 20 minutes into the fight, then BAM! <Error code 11674: You have been disconnected due to a network connection error.>

I have never been disconnected before until yesterday, and now I've had it happen twice. First time was in a Great Baggi hunt so it didn't really matter, but now I'm going to cry myself to sleep cuz skypiercers hate me.

Haunted

Small Uragaan is tempting me to hop online once more. :lol

Shaheed79 said:
I just captured a Great Jaggi, Qurupeco, Royal Ludroth and a Rathian all in a single freehunt without going back to village or resting.

Armor: Great Baggi full set
Weapon: Great Sword Chieftan

I think it's safe to say I'm getting damn good at this.
Awesome. I love the feeling of accomplishment once I've got a monster type down pat. Looks like it's time for you to move up to hunt even bigger prey. :D
Gobul, Barroth, Barioth and Rathalos await on the next tier.

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - WG5Y5A - Hauer (slaughterking)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

The last thing I did was farming Rathian+ and doing 4* star quests and that's probably what I'm going to do now. But I would glady help anyone who wants to do sub-4* questing.

slaughterking said:
I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - WG5Y5A - Hauer (slaughterking)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

The last thing I did was farming Rathian+ and doing 4* star quests and that's probably what I'm going to do now. But I would glady help anyone who wants to do sub-4* questing.
Hey dude. I just logged off (lunch) but i'll b back on in a few. I still dont have you in friends list btw.

Edit: also, wanted to say, alatreon is a little bitch.

kinggroin

Banned
Played from 8:15pm to 3:30am. Haven't done that since I was a teenager (and single).

Playing with a few guys from GAF, a ton of fun. Shia, was a low rank hunter, but certainly did NOT fight like one. I felt incredibly humbled by his performance. I would have played longer, but once we got to Lagiacrus, I could feel the need to sleep interfering with my ability to play.

The 4 G. Jaggi quest, I was mostly worthless.

Also, Barroth is still the hardest monster to kill. Makes no sense, that guy just wont die.

Top Bottom