• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm what's your name in-game?

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - KX9X89 - Hawkian (Hawkian)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

I'm in room 1, btw. Feel free to join up :)

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
jaundicejuice said:
I'm just going to throw my Wii-Speak in the trash. 30$ well spent.
Wii Speak is just another in a long list of internet-related failures with the Wii. Dunno who thought it was a good idea :lol Luckily, I got mine for free with MH3.

I'm exhausted. Went to bed at 1 after playing for about 5 hours, and couldn't sleep til about 2.30 with an early start for work today. But i can't wait to play more...

Kard8p3

I just had the most amazing experience ever. I was doing my first cap a Rathian+ quest, after it started to limp away, I kicked it for the lulz, and it fell over, and we got the cap, and had an awesome laugh about it afterwards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hehe and you're about to get more...

I finally ditched the stock light bowgun frame I've been using since the beginning of the game. It really is ingenious... even maxed out it's pretty weak, but it is so versatile that giving it up for anything requires a change in strategy. I can't put monsters to sleep anymore :(

But, this poison stinger frame looks badass and I will do quite a lot of damage for a change :D

makaveli13

Neo Member
I have a noob question, I'll start with the usual this is my first monster hunter game :)

I have put about 13 hours into it so far using the great sword exclusively, I have realized that I never block to defend and always roll to evade. Should I switch to a more offensive based weapon based on this play style? I am thinking about using the switch axe or hammer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

volmer

ivysaur12 said:
Oh wow... that's... :-\
Wii Speak does work, but unfortunately it's not very clear when used in MH3. However, for those of us playing with randoms, the biggest problem is that you have to add everyone you want to talk/listen to -- especially since the interface for adding/listing friends is super duper clunky. I think it would have been much better if it was simply enabled by default for people in the same city. :/
Kyoufu said:
I hope Alatreon isn't too difficult, would like to do the urgent and move on. :/
He's very predictable, so it's not a big problem just killing him. The challenge is to
break his horns and wings for materials
while doing it... :)

Leezard

makaveli13 said:
I have a noob question, I'll start with the usual this is my first monster hunter game :)

I have put about 13 hours into it so far using the great sword exclusively, I have realized that I never block to defend and always roll to evade. Should I switch to a more offensive based weapon based on this play style? I am thinking about using the switch axe or hammer.

Any advice would be appreciated.
You can give it a try for some monster that you have already defeated. If you like it - go ahead and change! I didn't decide that the hammer was my weapon of choice until I had beaten Lagiacrus. :lol

Kyoufu

volmer said:
He's very predictable, so it's not a big problem just killing him. The challenge is to
break his horns and wings for materials
while doing it... :)

Got raped by him the first time, but now I know his attacks. Now to find a solid group for him!

orion434

I put in a ton of time into Monster Hunter 3 this past weekend, and I'm running into some problems playing solo, maybe I'm just overlooking something trivial. I'm ready to take on the Royal Ludroh in the Flooded Forest and I'm a Bowgunner and I seem to run out of Ammo fighting him. I have been reading the wiki and I have a pretty decent Light Bowgun, I added Jaggid Fire and have it set-up that Piecre lv1 - 4 Bullets & Pellet lv1 - 4 Bullets with both rapid, and Above Avg reload, but Average Recoil.

I have the early armor that adds Attack Up ( S ) and I added Jewels to get it to +15 to make it Attack Up ( M ) I attached 5 Sniper Jewels to give me Precision +1... but don't know if that's actually needed, am I better off just adding another 5 Attack Jewels to make it Attack Up ( L )?

With the Royal Ludroh is it better to use the Bullets that do more damage underwater? Would they do more damage than Pierce lv1 with Rapid? He always retreats underwater and then it seems that I burn through all my bullets and just have Normal left :-( is he stronger underwater?

Also what can I eat to raise my attack power up... low level stuff. I'm only HR 3 and only on 3* village quests. Thanx :D

ivysaur12 said:
Mine isn't working... what the hell?

You have to Friend somebody in game (who also has Wii speak, indicated by the orange speaker icon) to make it work. The quality for Monster Hunter is really poor though. This is especially true because the microphone picks up on background noise and few people seem to play in a quiet environment.

Wii Speak itself does work though. I've used in in Endless Ocean 2 and it's okay. Capcom added it late to Monster Hunter and the implementation here is quite bad. Throwing it away would be stupidly hasty though.

Effect

Do you think one should stick with one weapon type always?

So far I find myself going back and forth between the sword (looks more like a dagger though) and shield and a lance and shield. It really depends on my mode I'm in when I do play.. The trade off between speed with maneuverability and defense is nice. The lance will let me hit in the air which should be helpful in the future (still on the 1 star missions as I haven't been playing much and just roaming the areas without taking missions). Thinking of picking up a bowgun tonight though to try that out. Anyone know how well that works underwater?

Also what's the |OT| in the thread title stand for now?

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
markatisu said:
Is there any difference between the helm and the caps? They both work with blade and gunner and seem to have the same attributes

Helms have higher defense, caps look cooler.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
rainer516 said:
Helms have higher defense, caps look cooler.

I'm using the Rathian Helm rather than the cap with my gunner. It looks awesome and vaguely avian while the cap just looks like an admiral's hat to me.

Luigiv

Effect said:
looks more like a dagger though
Yeah, gamer vision will do that to you. In reality those swords would be heavy as fuck and barely wieldable. They may not be that long but they're unrealistically broad.

Edit: To actually answer your question, it's up to you really. There's no reason why you shouldn't play around with multiple weapons and there's no reason why you shouldn't just stick to your favourite.

markatisu

Thanks for the info, I am switching to the Peco and Barrioth caps cause they just look cooler

Dressing your person is almost as addictive as playing :lol

My new goal is HR30, Uragaan armor, Rathalos plate, and Amber Tusks

Nicktals

Banned
So, Nayi and Ace, can i convince you guys to take a break from Galaxy to help me get my last 2400 HR and my Alatreon urgent done tonight?

Also, poster above me, if they're up for it, and you're around (what's your MH name? I'm sure you're friends with at least one of us!), you should be our 4th. That way we can both get it done.

Anytime after about 4 PM Eastern should be fine with me.

Nayishiki

Nicktals said:
So, Nayi and Ace, can i convince you guys to take a break from Galaxy to help me get my last 2400 HR and my Alatreon urgent done tonight?

Also, poster above me, if they're up for it, and you're around (what's your MH name? I'm sure you're friends with at least one of us!), you should be our 4th. That way we can both get it done.

Anytime after about 4 PM Eastern should be fine with me.

Yeah, I'll help you get your Alatreon urgent done.

selig

Banned
btw. anyone know how many unlockable pre-rendered video-scenes there are? I love them. Last one I got were Life of Uragaan and Jhen Morahn.

Oxx

The weather has killed MH3 for me.

Like a true Englishman I'm out in the sun as soon as we get some decent weather.

Neo C.

rayner said:
Also what can I eat to raise my attack power up... low level stuff. I'm only HR 3 and only on 3* village quests. Thanx :D
Try to eat the food the cooking cat made. Some combinations push the attack fairly high.

Haunted

Lonely1 said:
So, SMG2 killed MH3 GAF?
Bullshit drop rates killed MH3's New Game+ for me. :p Also Red Dead Redemption.

I had a lot of fun yesterday, though. I'll definitely be back for the next event quests. :D

Kyoufu

Speaking of bullshit drop rates.........

Hours of farming Qurupancho and the fucker has yet to give me a wyvern stone....this is bullshittery.

I didn't realise there was no hunting horn D:

Gonna give lances a go I think, will probably end up sticking with bowguns though. Had a good first online experience last night just playing with random people.

Top Bottom