• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Kyoufu

SAAAAAAAAANDSTOOOOOOOOOOORM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought 1100 thunderbugs! :D :D

edit: high rank jhen event..... ohhhhhh snap!

Leezard

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - P1PYHB - Bosch (Leezard)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

ShinNL

Lance Bone Path said:
Sometimes I hope that people get knocked out of commission, but I've only acted on that impulse once. I feel mildly guilty about that, but i'm not sure you would understand unless you've been stagger locked by someone spamming lv. 1 akantor bow shots from behind you while you were being charged by a gravios.

My last words before I went to the base camp were "traps?" I suppose I could have waited longer for a response, but 2 K.O.s on a capture quest where I can't lay down another trap for several minutes and where I don't know if anyone else has traps is "quest is done".

Yes, I sometimes play with a long sword.

Well, sometimes people do things that are annoying and I try not to let it get to me.
I've had a lot of online hours in the Monster Hunter series, I've seen pretty much everything. However, I don't see myself wishing a teammate would die for obvious reasons. You can either be a type that encourages not-so-good players to play better, telling them how to improve their style so it's more teamfriendly and heal your team, or you can be a prick about it and just hate your teammates for everything. You seem to be the latter type.

By "sometimes" you mean you play LS a lot, right? I remember you saying you weren't a lance player but a LS + something else. Now unless you're using that other weapon a lot more...

You see, what's bothering me about your post is that you seem to be the Long Sword type person that I meet online who are only happy if they can hit the monster, despite everything. This includes using the horizontal slash so they can charge up, even continuously knocking teammates for that purpose. The fact that you didn't explain that you were going to end the quest (just asking "traps?" won't do) seems to me that you're one of those selfish types. This is just my view on you right now.

Syril said:
What the crap do Long Swords have to do with anything? Can we save the weapon stereotypes for GameFAQs?
It tells a lot about personalities when people use that weapon in multiplayer*. I'll explain it in other words: what's the benefit for the team if you use that weapon? Depending on your answer to that question, look at the sentence marked with * for a self reflection.

Korigama

Said screw it and forged the earliest fire weapon available to me with the Plume Flint, finally sent Gigginox straight to hell. If anything, I'll likely be hunting him out of sheer spite once I have fire-based weapons of classes I'm used to...

Soneet said:
I've had a lot of online hours in the Monster Hunter series, I've seen pretty much everything. However, I don't see myself wishing a teammate would die for obvious reasons. You can either be a type that encourages not-so-good players to play better, telling them how to improve their style so it's more teamfriendly and heal your team, or you can be a prick about it and just hate your teammates for everything. You seem to be the latter type.

By "sometimes" you mean you play LS a lot, right? I remember you saying you weren't a lance player but a LS + something else. Now unless you're using that other weapon a lot more...

You see, what's bothering me about your post is that you seem to be the Long Sword type person that I meet online who are only happy if they can hit the monster, despite everything. This includes using the horizontal slash so they can charge up, even continuously knocking teammates for that purpose. The fact that you didn't explain that you were going to end the quest (just asking "traps?" won't do) seems to me that you're one of those selfish types. This is just my view on you right now.
I don't have enough energy to "hate" people in a game. As far as helping people improve their style, I don't know if I have the energy to do that either.

Some people are conscious about hitting other people and some people aren't. It's better to give pointers when people aren't playing- like in a message forum rather than in-game.

I'm happy if I can hit a monster, but I generally stand back and let other people hit it if there isn't a good way to hit it without smacking other people. This is sometimes a judgment call or a quick hands-eye coordinated motion and I make a mistake and hit people; it happens.

I've given some thought about being selfish/unselfish in this game, and I could easily spend all my time going into low rank rooms and helping people HR up, but at the end, what does that achieve if this activity I'm spending limited free time on bores me?

SYNTAX182

Soneet said:
You see, what's bothering me about your post is that you seem to be the Long Sword type person that I meet online who are only happy if they can hit the monster, despite everything.

LOL. I have a friend like this except he uses a great sword. I always have to tell him to go to an open spot when we knock down a monster because he just starts swinging even if he sees someone in front of him.

Kyoufu

I don't think I've seen LBP use anything other than a Lance, but yeah, Long Sword users really annoy the shit out of me when I am lancing.

Great Sword users who use the sweep or upswing launcher attack need to move on to another weapon.

Nicktals

Banned
Kyoufu said:
I don't think I've seen LBP use anything other than a Lance, but yeah, Long Sword users really annoy the shit out of me when I am lancing.

Great Sword users who use the sweep or upswing launcher attack need to move on to another weapon.

What's wrong with the sweep? As long as the other person is in an animation, it doesn't do anything to them, correct?

So if the other person is already attacking, and I do unsheathe -> sweep, i won't knock that person down. And even if they're not in an animation, it just knocks them to their put for a second, rather than sending them flying.

The overhead one though, yeah, GS users: Don't use that online, unless you're absolutely positive no one is around. So obnoxious.

EDIT: I should ad that I sent someone flying by accident during my Alatreon last night. I think if it only happens once in a while, people can forgive it. But if it happens more than 3 or 4 times in a quest I start to get a bit upset.

Alex

Problem is folks just sometimes don't know how to compensate for others. You can get by well with a Long Sword without doin' much harm to others.

Some newer or just assholish people will really just run on top of your ass and go to work though. Very lame.

ShinNL

Nicktals said:
What's wrong with the sweep? As long as the other person is in an animation, it doesn't do anything to them, correct?

So if the other person is already attacking, and I do unsheathe -> sweep, i won't knock that person down. And even if they're not in an animation, it just knocks them to their put for a second, rather than sending them flying.

The overhead one though, yeah, GS users: Don't use that online, unless you're absolutely positive no one is around. So obnoxious.

EDIT: I should ad that I sent someone flying by accident during my Alatreon last night. I think if it only happens once in a while, people can forgive it. But if it happens more than 3 or 4 times in a quest I start to get a bit upset.
The sweep knocks down SnS users, Lance users and Hammer users, even during attack animations. This knock means: putting them into unguardable situations like screams, charges, body slams, elemental attacks. For SnS users it's also precious time lost for item use, healing, shield KO'ing, status element timing. For Lance users this means losing positioning (ever played one? requires planning to move), missing counter opportunities, losing out probably on at least 3-5 hits. For Hammer users this could mean missing a triple pound opportunity, a KO moment, losing a charge and gets a vulnerable position because of being a close range fighter with no guard.

I don't think sweep = automatically asshole, but a good GS player chooses between rolling out of the unsheathe attack or use sweep depending on the teammate positions and their weapon types.

Alex said:
Problem is folks just sometimes don't know how to compensate for others. You can get by well with a Long Sword without doin' much harm to others.

Some newer or just assholish people will really just run on top of your ass and go to work though. Very lame.
The ratio of "I must power up no matter what!!!" players vs "I use vertical slashes mostly unless no one that can be knocked down is around" players is pretty sad in Tri.

Soneet said:
The sweep knocks down SnS users, Lance users and Hammer users, even during attack animations.
One exception to this is the lance charge which won't be interrupted by any attack that doesn't send someone flying. I make use of the charge attack far more often to entertain my indiscriminate LS side-slasher friends. :p

The hammer spin attack probably also has some ability to resist interruption.

Yeah it can be really frustrating when you've got 2/3 long sword using teammates constantly spamming spirit combos right next to you or even worse great sword users using the upswing all the time for no good reason. I try not to get too annoyed as I figure they are dealing damage after all and sometimes it saves me from taking hits.

To my shame I have to admit if someones doing it way too much I start getting careless with the lance charge hoping they might get the message. Maybe some people just aren't aware of how much they're messing up their teammates. Took me a while to realise when I first went online with long sword.

edit: I see i'm not the only one :)

ShinNL

Lance Bone Path said:
The one exception to this is the lance charge which won't be interrupted by any attack that doesn't send someone flying. I make use of the charge attack far more often to entertain my indiscriminate LS side-slasher friends. :p
Yeah, airing frustration is a good thing. Once I chased down a hammer user who superpounded me about 12 times with a SnS and shieldbashed him flying about 5 times. He was so scared that he kept walking circles afterwards.

Some people charge at close range with a lance (usually a downed monster), they're just as horrible as any other team-hitters :lol

The hammer spin attack probably also has some ability to resist interruption.
Yeah true, but both attacks you listed aren't recommended attacks, so usually you can't count on that immunity when using those weapons.

selig

Banned
Hm, I didnt have these problems, yet. One difficult quests, the people I played with always seemed to plan their attacks. Sure, sometimes some gets hit, but whatever. And then there´s quests that everyone knows its easy, so nobody cares about anything and we just spam-attack the monster, hitting each other all the time...and it´s fun :D

In general: As long as someone hitting me doesn´t cause me to take a lot damage or die, I don´t care. But Im a SnS-user, so maybe that´s why Im okay when hunter with higher-damage weapons go all out. Im there for quick damage dealing and distraction - the big guys for taking down the monster :D (and Im cutting of the tails, haha)

btw. baby-Uragaan is sooo cute. xD Killed 2 people of my group in the beginning when nobody had realized that this was really just a small version of the normal one.

Just played the Festival of Fear special event, where you are on the ship and you have to take down the giant croc-like monster.

Holy crap was that intense!!! LOVE it!

Apparently we were close to killing it. It was in front of our ship coming at us from the front, i tried bringing a cannonball up there thinking there was a cannon up there. 2 more peeps were already up there. Got up there just in time to watch him, almost in slow motion (like the last moments before you die lol) come up and chomp the bow of the ship, along with 2 of us, and we failed.

it was awesome.

Dreavus

Jhen is back, hmm?

I don't know if I have the heart to farm that battle again for "+" materials. I think I'm probably just about done with the game. Hitting high rank has been pretty underwhelming so far and it takes forever to find some of the low % stuff, like the different dragon gems and wyvern stones. Might try to upgrade my Lagiacrus stuff (since I got a sapphire on my first try) to take on Altreon eventually, but I can't see myself doing a whole lot afterward.

It could also be that I just need a break. Playing for 100+ hours in the first few weeks is a lot more than I've spent on a single game in such a short period of time in a LONG while. :lol

EDIT: Not to say that the game ISN'T entirely pure, distilled awesomeness. I've really enjoyed what I've played so far. :D

Mafro

selig said:
btw. baby-Uragaan is sooo cute. xD Killed 2 people of my group in the beginning when nobody had realized that this was really just a small version of the normal one.
Did that quest earlier. It caught me by surprise and I fainted once :lol

Hiltz

Took on the Agnaktor offline hunt quest a couple of times. For being one of the near end bosses of the game, he was easy but fun. Forged the waist and legging armor pieces.

I cut off his tail but his beak didn't seem to fully break even though I saw it break twice. By the way, what part of his body (if any) can you get an Agnaktor claw from ?

Hiltz said:
Took on the Agnaktor offline hunt quest a couple of times. For being one of the near end bosses of the game, he was easy but fun. Forged the waist and legging armor pieces.

I cut off his tail but his beak didn't seem to fully break even though I saw it break twice. By the way, what part of his body (if any) can you get an Agnaktor claw from ?

I think you have to damage his feet.

Soneet said:
The sweep knocks down SnS users, Lance users and Hammer users, even during attack animations. This knock means: putting them into unguardable situations like screams, charges, body slams, elemental attacks. For SnS users it's also precious time lost for item use, healing, shield KO'ing, status element timing. For Lance users this means losing positioning (ever played one? requires planning to move), missing counter opportunities, losing out probably on at least 3-5 hits. For Hammer users this could mean missing a triple pound opportunity, a KO moment, losing a charge and gets a vulnerable position because of being a close range fighter with no guard.
Yeah well when you launch my ass 10 meters up in the air with a mighty hammer swing, that kind of fucks up my positioning too!!! :)

Leezard

Aw, connection error in the middle of ura quest. :/

edit: And another one during the agna quest. Oh well, good hunts Sceolan, Mafro and Kozy.

Mafro

Well that was annoying :|

Anyway, good hunting tonight. Got enough stuff to upgrade my switch axe to Tough Break. Got shitloads of armour spheres from farming the volcano.

Kyoufu

Nicktals said:

The sweep is just inefficient in many ways.

With GS you should start with an unsheathe (charge or regular) followed by a punish stab followed by either a roll or into the stronger secondary charge.

I never ever use the A button with GS for attacks, ever.

Boney

Banned
Haruka Lonely1, sorry got disconected and didn't let me back on. Really wierd. My internet is slooooow.

Nicktals said:

Every time I can, I send you flying. It feels so good.

Remfin

Kyoufu said:
The sweep is just inefficient in many ways.

With GS you should start with an unsheathe (charge or regular) followed by a punish stab followed by either a roll or into the stronger secondary charge.

I never ever use the A button with GS for attacks, ever.
But if you already have your GS out, what do you use? The sweep is (AFAIK) the fastest swing from that position, so if you don't know when the monster is going to move again it's a good move to start with...

Tenbatsu

rayner said:
Cool, thanx... so far I have like 34 hours of play and only found 2 Charms... one with Auto-Block +10 and One with Ice Res +5. I'd like something with a decent skill, does a Gunner even benefit from Auto-Block?
You don't need auto-blocking for your gun as it will auto block for those frame with blocking ability.

Ridley327 said:
How different is high-rank Jhen versus the 3* urgent?
You get to fight it on land for the high-rank quest.

Poyunch

Man High Rank Barroth is not fun when you only have two players and you're using a weapon you have no idea how to use well. I used up all my potions with only one Mega Potion left. :lol I needed practice for my new Rust Lance and I decided to focus on the Barroth high rank armor parts.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
So not to be too corny, but its awesome how much experienced guys are willing to help us newbies out- PusherT and Ed (don't know his gaf name) just spent an hour helping me out with monsters that probably put them to sleep they are so easy to kill.

Much appreciated.

Still need one more damn Jaggi head though...stuck at 7!

markatisu

schuelma said:
So not to be too corny, but its awesome how much experienced guys are willing to help us newbies out- PusherT and Ed (don't know his gaf name) just spent an hour helping me out with monsters that probably put them to sleep they are so easy to kill.

Much appreciated.

Still need one more damn Jaggi head though...stuck at 7!

Agreed, I would be nowhere near HR30 without the help of players like Mars who must be bored out of their mind helping us beat Rathian or Barrioth

Luigiv

Soneet said:
It tells a lot about personalities when people use that weapon in multiplayer*. I'll explain it in other words: what's the benefit for the team if you use that weapon? Depending on your answer to that question, look at the sentence marked with * for a self reflection.
Are you saying I was no help? You've hurt me Soneet, you've hurt me deep :( .

tenchir

Sorry for bailing on you guys. Got D/C and when i log back on, I just don't have to armor to last that long again Jhen, used up almost all my potions to survive the fight. Went to farm peco for better armor.

ShinNL

Fistwell said:
Yeah well when you launch my ass 10 meters up in the air with a mighty hammer swing, that kind of fucks up my positioning too!!! :)
If it's the 3rd swing of the triple pound, then it's not my fault :p

If it's the superpound or unsheathe attack though... it means I'm sorry for being so crappy with the hammer xD

Luigiv said:
Are you saying I was no help? You've hurt me Soneet, you've hurt me deep :( .
I didn't say that :p
Depends on how you answer that question. For me, I think LS users have good damage potential and good reach (for tail cutting and head slicing), when used right. When used wrong, they're a nuisance because they're not using the good part of the weapon but just wildly swing at random spots, only causing trouble to teammates. But the way I formulated that sentence, I imagine some people would answer:

- Who cares if I can help my team?
or
- None at all, they're scum of the earth.
etc.

It just shows people personalities if you look at how you answer it. I personally prefer using Lance and SnS because I rather pin point my attacks so I don't hit my teammates as often and I'm willing to pass on trip immunity during attacks like the popular weapons have.

Tenbatsu

Shaheed79 said:
I don't mean to brag but I'm the best MH TRi player in the world. Or at least I will be..... soon.
If you can use only 'kick' to kill all monsters in the game then maybe we can talk.

Poyunch

So what's a good High Rank Razor Sharp w/ Razor Sharp+ armor combo with good defense? I've been trying to think of one but there are just too many variables for me to take into account right now. :lol

Luigiv

Soneet said:
I didn't say that :p
Depends on how you answer that question. For me, I think LS users have good damage potential and good reach (for tail cutting and head slicing), when used right. When used from, they're a nuisance because they're not using the good part of the weapon but just wildly swing at random spots, only causing trouble to teammates. But the way I formulated that sentence, I imagine some people would answer:

- Who cares if I can help my team?
or
- None at all, they're scum of the earth.
etc.

It just shows people personalities if you look at how you answer it. I personally prefer using Lance and SnS because I rather pin point my attacks so I don't hit my teammates as often and I'm willing to pass on trip immunity during attacks like the popular weapons have.
Fair Enough, I was only messing :D.

Well to answer your question, I went with a long sword that time because A) It had paralysis and B) My two best classes are Hammers and LS, and I wanted to help cut off tails. See I at least thought about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whoa Sandstorm? No way. Is the repel quest available?

I'm gonna play a little Darksiders (holy crap is this game long!!!!) and then hop online, anybody wanna go after some Jhen? :D

Alex

The online base in this is driving me insane. The GAF sect, very cool, nice folks, came prepared, never any problems when I dealt with most of you guys

Today was kind of the straw the broke the camels back, fourth Jhen+ wipe of the day, all in the final minutes. I'm tired of being nice, I'm normally very forgiving but honestly if you're on high rank, and die on Jhen even once, you've probably need to reevaluate your presence there

It tells a lot about personalities when people use that weapon in multiplayer

Not really unless you're some GameFAQs hugging tart who can't let go of MHFU. LS is pretty spiffy in Tri if you can actually act as a team player. Sadly... this is quite rare in the pick up groups, however. :(

But If you're still playing all around exclusion on it, you're kind of being an ass. Some of the AP and Elem ratios on a few of the LS work super well if you can maintain a good gauge, and then you don't need to be using the spirit combo anyway outside of niche situations.

Trying to pull out the "WUTS THE BENEFIT HURF" is so stupid. The game isn't that min/max happy to be like that and it's utterly laughable to act like it is. It pulls it's weight now in the hands of a good player, very much so, and that's all that matters. Don't rage at others because Narutofan69 kept knocking you over with sweeps.

PS: I don't use a LS much, so please don't drop an angst bomb on me like the GameFAQs base.

Alex

1.) Be aggressive, get your gauge up and keep it up with consistent attacks. Look into Fast Charge when you can

2.) Learn to use the Evasion sweep when necessary. It builds the greatest block of spirit can allows you to fade in the direction of your choice, it'll also chain off of multiple minions if you have some around to swat.

3.) Don't bunch together if you plan on using your spirit combo to build a gauge. Take advantage of the mad reach it gets. Properly planned you can get a gauge off of an unattackable situation just from the sheer range of the strike.

4.) Don't always feel obligated to use your spirit combo. Just link together a standard combo if it's not a good place to be, especially at maximum spirit, only the sweep of the spirit combo has any real AP hike over your typical.

The L. sword was a bit iffy in MHFU, but now it keeps fairly even pace with everything else. Just learn the offbits of it and don't knock your pals down

And avoid the GameFAQs angst from it, you'll really know it when you see it. (See above)

Top Bottom