• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

rayner said:
I've been using the wiki and I should really print out the Combination List when I get home... can't view it at work ( blocked ) That's why I post on NeoGaf... for some reason it's not blocked at work :D For those Capture missions they should give you more traps and tranqs, I mean they are necessary to complete the quest.

Well MH normally gives you the minimum as they believe you can do it in that shot IMO.

But as a backup plan you can carry extra items and/or combine to create those items.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
rayner said:
I've been using the wiki and I should really print out the Combination List when I get home... can't view it at work ( blocked ) That's why I post on NeoGaf... for some reason it's not blocked at work :D For those Capture missions they should give you more traps and tranqs, I mean they are necessary to complete the quest.
I printed mine at work :p Thankfully they don't block any sites.

I'm hardly an expert (I've only just captured a Royal Ludroth...) but when i have a capture mission, create 2 traps (1x shock, 1x pitfall) and then buy 2 more trap tools and take some Net/Thunderbugs with me. Just do some gathering and make a batch of tranq bombs if you need more. Or make some on the quest. Always helps to be prepared :Lol

botticus

DragonGirl said:
Don't rely on what's in the box. Bring your own traps and if you want more, bring the combination ingredients to make traps in the field. Also, if a trapped monster doesn't go down after 2 tranqs it's probably not ready. Thus far in my experience the hardest monster to capture is Barroth since it rarely limps. Was with a group that accidentally killed it 5 times. Try 6 just saw us setting traps randomly after a while. Caught it on trap 2 or 3 I think.
Yeah, I did the event quest two nights ago and we managed to accidentally kill it. Never limped so it was kind of annoying. Someone was able to gem up for Perception so we didn't run into that issue again.

markatisu

Anyone up for Baby Urugaan tonight? It wont be till after 10pm CST but I need like 2 more Jaws to complete his armor

It kinda sucks because you have to be HR18 I think to do it and most of the people I meet are like HR14 or HR30+ and have no real interest in that quest (especially with Jhen event around)

explodet

I still hate capturing.
Can you do it with pitfall traps? One time I wanted to try capturing with a pitfall trap on a Great Jaggi... turns out the pitfall trap is so deep you can't hit him with tranqs unless you're really far away, unlike the shock trap where you can just walk right up to his face and hit him point blank.

Haunted said:
I beat a Jaggi with kicks only, does that count?
With the Kitty Kickboxing food buff or without?

Haunted

explodet said:
I still hate capturing.
Can you do it with pitfall traps? One time I wanted to try capturing with a pitfall trap on a Great Jaggi... turns out the pitfall trap is so deep you can't hit him with tranqs unless you're really far away, unlike the shock trap where you can just walk right up to his face and hit him point blank.
Yeah, you can hit em in pitfall traps as well, but it's a bit harder. You'll get a feel for throws after a while, though. I kept training hitting monsters with throws at the beginning, so I wouldn't waste too many tranqs when it actually counts. :p

explodet said:
With the Kitty Kickboxing food buff or without?
Without.
Then again, I was talking about a small Jaggi. :p

markatisu said:
Anyone up for Baby Urugaan tonight? It wont be till after 10pm CST but I need like 2 more Jaws to complete his armor

It kinda sucks because you have to be HR18 I think to do it and most of the people I meet are like HR14 or HR30+ and have no real interest in that quest (especially with Jhen event around)

I'll probably be on. I like mini-Ura though I also want to fight Jhen. Usually I switch between them and whatever else comes along.

rayner said:
Thanx, I could have sworn that I tranq'ed that Royal Ludroth 3 times!!! Now say a monster is not ready to be trapped, will it break out of the trap quicker?
Traps of a given type will lose effectiveness each time a boss gets trapped by it. Bosses also exit traps sooner if they're raged and more slowly when they're exhausted.

Pit traps aren't that great for capturing small bosses and don't help you cut off tails, but they're great if you have a lot of status inducing members on hand (paralysis weapon and a hammer user are a good combo).

Kyoufu said:
And what Soneet said, hes right, if you're near the monster's head and you get pounded away, thats your own fault.
I do not necessarily agree, but even if i did, that's a pretty big if in there. I've seen just as many hammer dudes triple pounding the ass as the head, but nevermind that. I've been launched way up high by all sorts of people using hammers, GS or SA, and i didnt have to be standing anywhere near the thing's head to get the benefit of free air miles.

And that's: Launched in the Freakin Air. Not just interrupted or stunned. Launched. By lots of different people, including our very own Soneet here, stigmatizing LS users for being careless (i also like the line when he says he's not racist cause he knows a black dude). But it's ok when he does it cause it was my own damn fault for being near the head or some such.

So lemme get this straight.

If i have enough juice to pull a rage LS combo, see an opening with no teammates in range to be hit, if i get there first but a dude waltzes in as i finish it off and i stun him (for half a sec, which is OMG so hugely important) on the final slash, that's so clearly unacceptable.
If i get to the head first (apparently anywhere near the goddamn head) and some dude gets there after me, triple pounds my ass and has me semi-literally reaching for the stars, then it's clearly my own damn fault for being there.
You guys are incredible.

I dont know. Maybe i'll just start spewing insulting generalizations about hammer users. But that probably wouldn't be ok. I'm guessing that's only acceptable if you shit on LS users, those stupid selfish pricks!

john tv

Me and Kyoufu would be down for Jhen+ if we can get two more people. Right now we're just mining the volcano and killing baby Uragaans to kill time. :)

Poyunch

Scatter said:
If you're looking for a full set High Rank Jhen armor. Upgraded Low Rank Lagi armor works well too. If you're gonna mix parts, High Rank Bhahabra (sp?) pants and some jewels/charm should get you razor sword and the rest can be anything else.

Unless I misread and you're trying to get both razor sharp and sharpness+1.

Tenbatsu said:
^
Most importantly is to see what charms you have before you decide on the armor. Yeah and you want only razor sharp or with sharpness +1?

Yeah I sort of want both.

ShinNL

Fistwell said:
I do not necessarily agree, but even if i did, that's a pretty big if in there. I've seen just as many hammer dudes triple pounding the ass as the head, but nevermind that. I've been launched way up high by all sorts of people using hammers, GS or SA, and i didnt have to be standing anywhere near the thing's head to get the benefit of free air miles.

And that's: Launched in the Freakin Air. Not just interrupted or stunned. Launched. By lots of different people, including our very own Soneet here, stigmatizing LS users for being careless (i also like the line when he says he's not racist cause he knows a black dude). But it's ok when he does it cause it was my own damn fault for being near the head or some such.

If i have enough juice to pull a rage LS combo, see an opening with no teammates in range to be hit, if i get there first but a dude waltzes in as i finish it off and i stun him (for half a sec, which is OMG so hugely important) on the final slash, that's so clearly unacceptable.
If i get to the head first (apparently anywhere near the goddamn head) and some dude gets there after me, triple pounds my ass and has me semi-literally reaching for the stars, then it's clearly my own damn fault for being there.
You guys are incredible.

I dont know. Maybe i'll just start spewing insulting generalizations about hammer users. But that probably wouldn't be ok. I'm guessing that's only acceptable if you shit on LS users, those stupid selfish pricks!
I didn't know you felt about my hits that way. I've apologized for every teamhitting hit I made with the hammer (and so far haven't used the 3rd strike of the triple pound to launch someone in Tri) and I wasn't lying about being sorry. However, if you still hold a grudge then I'm sorry again and I won't bother you again.

PS. It's impossible for a Hammer user to "walk in" and triple pound a LS user on the attack. Think about it. And unless you calculated staggers... that's just a handy aftermath coincidence...

dsister44

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - MLHLAL - kozy (dsister44)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

kinggroin

Banned
I'd reeeaaally love for some Jhen runs with anyone at least HR 18 or higher. Everytime I play that event with people, they are super low rank and die right in the beginning.

Shia was the only exception.

Soneet said:
I didn't know you felt about my hits that way. I've apologized for every teamhitting hit I made with the hammer (and so far haven't used the 3rd strike of the triple pound to launch someone in Tri) and I wasn't lying about being sorry. However, if you still hold a grudge then I'm sorry again and I won't bother you again.

PS. It's impossible for a Hammer user to "walk in" and triple pound a LS user on the attack. Think about it. And unless you calculated staggers... that's just a handy aftermath coincidence...
I've only talked about what happened. I never said anything about how i felt about it.
And honestly, i couldnt care less. I know stuff happens, I get hit, sometimes i also hit others without meaning to. As long as everyone is at least trying to be considerate of others, i dont have a problem with it.
What i was taking exception to was the blatant double standard.

PS. sure, get technical. Fact remains that it's very commonly happened that i'd get in position, then something happens behind me, and next thing i know i'm flying. Not talking about you, just in general. Since we're apparently dealing in generalities.

ShinNL

Fistwell said:
I've only talked about what happened. I never said anything about how i felt about it.
And honestly, i couldnt care less. I know stuff happens, I get hit, sometimes i also hit others without meaning to. As long as everyone is at least trying to be considerate of others, i dont have a problem with it.
What i was taking exception to was the blatant double standard.

PS. sure, get technical. Fact remains that it's very commonly happened that i'd get in position, then something happens behind me, and next thing i know i'm flying. Not talking about you, just in general. Since we're apparently dealing in generalities.
There's no double standard though. In multiplayer: When people use Long Sword, they should generally abandon the spirit combo and the return slash. When people use the Hammer, they should generally abandon the superpound. When people use the GS, they should generally abandon the upswing. These attacks are only allowed to be used when the area is clearly free, but shouldn't be considered in the arsenal most of the time. When people judge a little imprecisely they sometimes hit people accidentally. That happens. But...

Lots of people make these attacks over 50% of their offensive game.

My goal is to make the superpound reaching near 0% of my gameplay. Currently I'm limited by resources on what weapon types I'm using, but my end-goal has always been at mastering all weapon types in team friendly ways.

A hammer user can hardly ever directly launch someone with a triple pound because the first 2 hits will knock you down, granting immunity for the 3rd strike: the flight. People have to literally walk into the 3rd strike to fly. It's also not possible to walk in with attacks because the hammer user will trip with any poke doing the triple pound.

Your examples sound more like someone is superpounding you or using the unsheathe attack on you. Yeah, that's an example of bad teamplay, the same level as permanent spirit slashing LS users. I don't see the problem with mentioning both, it's not like anyone is saying that the other weapon users are perfect. In the past I've shared my distaste for permanent superpounders and GS upswingers as well.

I don't get why you're articulating on how people are literally flying on hits. It's not like tripping is less worse. They're both equally bad for teammates. It's just that LS is the only melee type that can't send people flying. But if someone really cares about the team, then sending someone flying feels really bad. For LS, tripping someone for that 1 extra hit doesn't seem that bad in comparison and that's unfortunately what too many people think. Tripping really sucks just as bad. And LS users happen to be immune to tripping, so the only "annoyance" they feel are flights.

JudgeN

Fistwell said:

You guys are incredible.

You are awesome, we should do lunch. I can bring the well done steaks but hopefully I don't hit you when using my long sword to cut the meat.

On topic, how do you grind out these HR (HR12 currently) quicker? Does killing the non mission monsters give a shit ton of points or should I just spam easy missions?

rdaneel72

Glad to see this thread still pop up on the front page regularly. I love this game. I haven't even gone online yet, as I still suck at hunting (currently getting whipped regularly by Barroth in single-player game), but it is damn satisfying when I finally come up wth a strategy that works. Still so many systems I do not fully understand, but since I am mostly broke, I am glad I invested in a game that will keep me entertained for a loooong time. I've played 32 hours so far, and I am on Boss number 4 of 18. Few games total 30 hours, but I've put in more than that and haven't even seen a third of what this game offers.

What is the record on GAF for length of an offical thread? MH3 is completely ignored by the enthusiast press, yet the dedicated online community is thriving. I used to think that GAF was an accurte measure of what the hardcore gamersphere thinks of certain games, but the life of this thread, and much of the opinion on GAF in general, does not seem to mesh with what the industry would have us believe (Wii owners don't play hardcore games like MH3).

Thanks to all the MH pros for all the insight and info in this thread. Maybe this upcoming three-day weekend I will pop my online cherry. I apologize in advance for screwing up our online quests.

markatisu

JudgeN said:
On topic, how do you grind out these HR (HR12 currently) quicker? Does killing the non mission monsters give a shit ton of points or should I just spam easy missions?

I have not really felt a grind to HR until you get past HR18 or so

Even then its usually like 2-3 big monster quests to the next one

I find that going online and looking at the exp points on the Wiki (http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Online_Quests ) helps to guide what you need to do to get through quicker.

Balance that out with what parts you might need to for a given armor or weapon and it takes some of the boring out of the grinding.

It also helps if you can find a team with people that have higher HR then you, I got through a lot of me levels quicker with higher people who let me join in on their quests before I opened them up on my own.

Also not sure what the big deal is with hitting other people, I have been getting slammed by the lance and great sword since I started playing. I figured it was just a side effect of playing with human users

Most of the time I think "damn wth" and then move on and go right back to attacking, but I dont see it as something to be enraged about or condemn someone for.

ivysaur12

Banned
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

I decide to help this guy out with the Barroth quest, and then I said that we should do it over again because I need it. He dies once during it, but we win.

Next time, the dude dies three fucking times, the last time right near the end. Do you know how much time I've spent on this stupid god damn quest? I've beaten this dude THREE times when I haven't been leading, but shit seems to go wrong when I'm the one with shit at stake.

Holy crap I haven't been this pissed at a videogame in a while.

botticus

ivysaur12 said:
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

I decide to help this guy out with the Barroth quest, and then I said that we should do it over again because I need it. He dies once during it, but we win.

Next time, the dude dies three fucking times, the last time right near the end. Do you know how much time I've spent on this stupid god damn quest? I've beaten this dude THREE times when I haven't been leading, but shit seems to go wrong when I'm the one with shit at stake.

I was lucky(?) that I was the only person who died on my Barroth urgent.

As far as HR grinding at 2*, I think Barroth and Rathian are the best quests. Jump Four Jaggi is good times though, for less HRP - though considering the time taken for each, it might be about the same.

markatisu

ivysaur12 said:
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

Are you going to be on tonight, I would not mind helping you get past that quest

kinggroin

Banned
Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn about being slashed, mained or bludgeoned by other players? After a quick, "Gah!", I'm usually laughing and back to attacking the monster at a different spot.

ivysaur12

Banned
markatisu said:
Are you going to be on tonight, I would not mind helping you get past that quest

I mean, I will be. I just want to beat this thing now, I've been stuck here for 2 days. I want to try again, but I don't want to waste my time with people dying.

Soneet said:
There's no double standard though.
Sure, it's all the same. Except if someone behaves like a douche, he just has to be a LS user.

Soneet said:
Do you play with a Long Sword too perhaps?
Soneet said:
By "sometimes" you mean you play LS a lot, right?

... *snip*
I had gone overboard with a wall of text. I'll stop there, this is clearly pointless as all hell.

kinggroin

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I mean, I will be. I just want to beat this thing now, I've been stuck here for 2 days. I want to try again, but I don't want to waste my time with people dying.

When I play in a pack of 4, I usually go with the lance against Barroth. I distract him, playing defensively, while everyone is pounds away.

ivysaur12

Banned
kinggroin said:
When I play in a pack of 4, I usually go with the lance against Barroth. I distract him, playing defensively, while everyone is pounds away.

I'm using the hammer, I should probably switch to the lance.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
ivysaur12 said:
K, will log in right now and help you. Is that ok?

kinggroin

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I'm using the hammer, I should probably switch to the lance.

Just realize it takes longer to find openings against him with that weapon/shield combo. You really tend to play defensively with it, especially when you're inexperienced at using it.

Also, they're weaker than hammers in general.

ramus

Neo Member
Soneet said:
My goal is to make the superpound reaching near 0% of my gameplay. Currently I'm limited by resources on what weapon types I'm using, but my end-goal has always been at mastering all weapon types in team friendly ways.
Why bother using the hammer then? A lot of the hammer's value comes from well-timed superpounds to monsters' heads which are necessary for KOs.

dsister44

kinggroin said:

Im usually the same, the only time I get annoyed is if it causes me to die or i get thrown over a waterful

Hiltz

Tried and failed the offline Ceadeus repel quest. Son of a gun is hard to keep up with once he decides to swim. Used Thunderclap+ long sword with lagiacrus armor set .

Cut off his horn though. Better bring some more mega oxygen potions with me next time.

Mardak

explodet said:
I still hate capturing.
Can you do it with pitfall traps? One time I wanted to try capturing with a pitfall trap on a Great Jaggi... turns out the pitfall trap is so deep you can't hit him with tranqs unless you're really far away
You can also pre-tranq maybe up to ~10 seconds before the monster falls into the trap. It's useful when you know the monster is charging at you and going to fall into the trap. 2 tranqs before and main quest completed right when they hit the trap.

Poyunch

Hiltz said:
Tried and failed the offline Ceadeus repel quest. Son of a gun is hard to keep up with once he decides to swim. Used Thunderclap+ long sword with lagiacrus armor set .

Cut off his horn though. Better bring some more mega oxygen potions with me next time.
You don't have ChaCha wearing the Ancient Mask?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Do Jump 4 Jaggi with 1 or 2 high level gaffers and you'll be getting HR like nothing. I think we beat the quest in like 8 minutes a few times last night. It took longer for the corpse to disappear and a new one to emerge than it did to kill it :lol

On another note, this discussion the last 2 pages has me thinking of never playing online with high ranked players again. Now I'm really really paranoid about screwing up..

markatisu

kinggroin said:
Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn about being slashed, mained or bludgeoned by other players? After a quick, "Gah!", I'm usually laughing and back to attacking the monster at a different spot.

Nope I feel the same way. The way I see it is that if the other person does not realize they are screwing up and I just need to move and attack somewhere else.

To my knowledge you don't get anything super from being the one to hit them so as long as the monster is dead and I am not completely inconvenienced (caused to faint, etc) it is just something to deal with

schuelma said:
On another note, this discussion the last 2 pages has me thinking of never playing online with high ranked players again. Now I'm really really paranoid about screwing up..

I would not be, most of the high ranked players are much more forgiving. From what I have seen as long as you manage to not die or at least keep the faints to a min they will keep questing with you. But then no dying should be a rule of thumb anyway regardless of HR level

Hiltz

PounchEnvy said:
You don't have ChaCha wearing the Ancient Mask?

Yes, he has the ancient mask on. I'm not sure how to make use of it though. Do I have to press something in the menu to get his ability to work or do I have to be next to him? Cha Cha was just swimming around the area, barely helping out despite having his two abilities set to dragon attack and hunter.

Also, what's with this "ancient weapon" that the moga chef's son is talking about? I was kind of pre-occupied fighting and trying to keep up with Ceadeus to notice any new weapon lying around apparently located in area 3.

schuelma said:

Eh, don't let it bother you. As long as you're aware of the fact that it's possible to mess teammates up with friendly fire and play with consideration for others it's really not a problem. Speaking for myself it's only annoying when people are staggering\launching you constantly, the occasional hit means nothing.

edit: oh, if you're talking about dying then I've only seen a couple of people get shitty about it, most are understanding.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Air Zombie Meat said:
Eh, don't let it bother you. As long as you're aware of the fact that it's possible to mess teammates up with friendly fire and play with consideration for others it's really not a problem. Speaking for myself it's only annoying when people are staggering\launching you constantly, the occasional hit means nothing.

I kind of meant it toungue in cheek, but it is a reality check to some extent.

What is difficult to me is balancing my desire to not die and cause the quest to fail with wanting to contribute and not be the ass running around the whole time.

Top Bottom