• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hiltz

rayner said:
I put in a ton of time into Monster Hunter 3 this past weekend, and I'm running into some problems playing solo, maybe I'm just overlooking something trivial. I'm ready to take on the Royal Ludroh in the Flooded Forest and I'm a Bowgunner and I seem to run out of Ammo fighting him. I have been reading the wiki and I have a pretty decent Light Bowgun, I added Jaggid Fire and have it set-up that Piecre lv1 - 4 Bullets & Pellet lv1 - 4 Bullets with both rapid, and Above Avg reload, but Average Recoil.

I have the early armor that adds Attack Up ( S ) and I added Jewels to get it to +15 to make it Attack Up ( M ) I attached 5 Sniper Jewels to give me Precision +1... but don't know if that's actually needed, am I better off just adding another 5 Attack Jewels to make it Attack Up ( L )?

Also what can I eat to raise my attack power up... low level stuff. I'm only HR 3 and only on 3* village quests. Thanx :D

Choose a meat and a drink (if available) to increase your health and attack power at the catfood shop or choose two drinks to increase your attack power, health, and defense (but it apparently lowers your stamina and oxygen meters as a side effect). As for items , you can use the following to further boost your attack power:

- might seed (gather from berries from Moga Woods and Flooded Forest)
- might pill (combine might seed with immunizer)
- demon drug (combine might seed with catalyst)

You can even use some of these(if not all of them, I don't remember) to boost your attack power even further.

To make a catalyst, combine bitter bug with honey.

To make an immunizer, combine bitter bug with honey to make a catalyst. Then combine catalyst with dragon toadstool (usually hard to find by gathering from mushrooms).

While I'm not a bowgun user, Royal Ludroth is very easy to fight on land since he doesn't move that fast and staying behind his tail means you'll be safe from all of his attacks. He got me a few times with that sleep and fire gas which originally caught me by surprise since I thought he was just going to use his special chin attack moves.

I took on Uragaan last night with the fairly weak Royal Claw+ sword and shield despite the use of attack boost items and armor skill sets. I killed him in 30 minutes but died once. He was mostly a push over. Half the time he just seemed to exhaust himself. Couldn't cut off his tail or break his jaw though as his tail was usually too high to reach and the weapon seemed to always bounce off his jaw.

So as I grind for Rathalos and Rathian Rubies over the weekend it occurs to me that I really don't like the way the game handles these types of drops, or rather I think it could be handled better

When I got to high rank I made a Peco+ set. It took a ton of scales and wings yet I had a blast doing it. I had to kill Peco a bunch of times but I didn't mind because each time I got 1-2 scales I felt like I was making progress. Compare that to doing Rathalos continually and after 10+ runs you still have nothing to show for it. To me, progress is what turns frustrating grinds into fun ones.

I ended up soloing online Rathalos and doing straight tail runs. In 10-15 minutes I cut off his tail, see if I carve a ruby, and if not abandon quest. Took about 2 hours but I finally got one.

Mafro

Oh man, offline hunt a Lagiacrus quest is epic.

Finally forged a long sword and can't see myself going back to anything else any time soon, it's brilliant

orion434

Hiltz said:
Choose a meat and a drink (if available) to increase your health and attack power at the catfood shop or choose two drinks to increase your attack power, health, and defense (but it apparently lowers your stamina and oxygen meters as a side effect). As for items , you can use the following to further boost your attack power:

- might seed (gather from berries from Moga Woods and Flooded Forest)
- might pill (combine might seed with immunizer)
- demon drug (combine might seed with catalyst)

You can even use some of these(if not all of them, I don't remember) to boost your attack power even further.

To make a catalyst, combine bitter bug with honey.

To make an immunizer, combine bitter bug with honey to make a catalyst. Then combine catalyst with dragon toadstool (usually hard to find by gathering from mushrooms).

While I'm not a bowgun user, Royal Ludroth is very easy to fight on land since he doesn't move that fast and staying behind his tail means you'll be safe from all of his attacks. He got me a few times with that sleep and fire gas which originally caught me by surprise since I thought he was just going to use his special chin attack moves.

I took on Uragaan last night with the fairly weak Royal Claw+ sword and shield despite the use of attack boost items and armor skill sets. I killed him in 30 minutes but died once. He was mostly a push over. Half the time he just seemed to exhaust himself. Couldn't cut off his tail or break his jaw though as his tail was usually too high to reach and the weapon seemed to always bounce off his jaw.

Thanx, I got a ton of Honey from trading in Sharpened Fangs to the Online Trade lady, I also can cultivate the Might Seeds on the Farm, along with the Dragon Toadstool. In regards to the Royal Ludroh... he retreats underwater, when I first meet him it's area 4 and on land and pretty easy... I usually don't get hit... but underwater I can never find the right time to attack dodge and then reload.

ivysaur12

Banned
Almost done with 1*, 1 quest to go (it's a mining one too).

Finally found someone with WiiSpeak that I became friends with. It was soft, but still a million times better than typing with the d-pad.

Hiltz

rayner said:
Thanx, I got a ton of Honey from trading in Sharpened Fangs to the Online Trade lady, I also can cultivate the Might Seeds on the Farm, along with the Dragon Toadstool. In regards to the Royal Ludroh... he retreats underwater, when I first meet him it's area 4 and on land and pretty easy... I usually don't get hit... but underwater I can never find the right time to attack dodge and then reload.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with using bowguns so hopefully someone else can offer some tips/strategy for fighting Royal Ludroth underwater using that type of weapon. Good luck though. Flooded Forest can sure be a pain for underwater battles unless its in the lair cave area where the water area is the biggest. If anything, I'd try using a shock trap underwater and lure the monster to it so you can safely hit him a couple of times before swimming away right when the shock trap breaks free.

Owzers

Boney said:
I'll help. Not a pro but I did it :lol
Could do it now if you want. With a third.

I'm not ready for more slaughter yet :( I can't figure out his attack patterns, i keep getting hit. When he does his dragon ram thing, i chase him and try to get attacks in but i either end up getting tail whipped or hit from his spin attack.

Hiltz

Mafro said:
Oh man, offline hunt a Lagiacrus quest is epic.

Finally forged a long sword and can't see myself going back to anything else any time soon, it's brilliant

It's as if the long sword was specifically made to combat Lagiacrus with. :D

Nicktals

Banned
Boney said:
I'll help. Not a pro but I did it :lol
Could do it now if you want. With a third.

Boney (Ace right?) can you help me tonight?

EDIT: Although i could potentially be on as soon as 30 minutes, and no more than an hour...So not really tonight, more like 'shortly'?

orion434

Hiltz said:
Unfortunately, I have no experience with using bowguns so hopefully someone else can offer some tips/strategy for fighting Royal Ludroth underwater using that type of weapon. Good luck though. Flooded Forest can sure be a pain for underwater battles unless its in the lair cave area where the water area is the biggest. If anything, I'd try using a shock trap underwater and lure the monster to it so you can safely hit him a couple of times before swimming away right when the shock trap breaks free.

The one thing that I've been thinking about is that maybe the Rapid Fire isn't that good for this fight? Pellet Lv1 shoots twice and Pierce lv1 shoots 3... but then I'd be doing 1/2 or less the damage with my ammo and run out sooner. That's another thing I wanted to ask about bowguns... take Pellet lv1 that shoots twice... does that mean that I'd do 2X damage or is it scaled down for rapid-shots? Like first is 100% and 2nd 75%?

Owzers

Nicktals said:

EDIT: Although i could potentially be on as soon as 30 minutes, and no more than an hour...So not really tonight, more like 'shortly'?

I tinkered with my armor skills and now i wanna try it again Xp

Kyoufu

Nicktals said:

If you guys have room send me a message as I still need to do the urgent. Been 50 for years. ;(

Apenheul

The 4-star quests online are a bit of a letdown IMO, within three hours I had done them all and all that's left is grinding until you can do the 5-star quests.

Nicktals

Banned
Got off early, woo! Getting on in 5.

EDIT: I still have 2400 HR to go, and would like to do a couple Lagi, so I can try bringing a sleep GS against Alatreon.

Hiltz said:
My disclaimer is that I haven't bowgunned Ludroth, but I did the underwater arena battle with Ludroth with a sword and shield and noticed that I had to sharpen the weapon frequently.

My experience with fighting a Royal Ludroth underwater is that if you stay in close, it will alternate between a quick, fairly accurate, short range swipe and a slower, less accurate, longer range attack that will usually be either a charge, a forward tail lash, a spinny bite, a water breath attack, or a backhop. If it charges, it will probably charge again after it completes the first charge. The short range swipe is good news for anyone with a weapon with reach (free attacks) and somewhat bad news for anyone with extremely short ranged weapons (either get good at timing attacks inside small windows of opportunity or play it ultra-conservative).

The good news is that the longer range attack takes the Lud some time to recover from and will probably give you enough time to act if you start reloading/sharpening as soon as it begins a longer range attack that won't hit.

Nicktals

Banned
alright, me ace and nayi are in a room. 1 open. Kyoufu or sillymonkey, hurry up! I hate having to tell people we're waiting for a 4th... :(

Owzers

checking now!

hmmmmm i see a room that looks full!

I just did urgent 5 with random people, they died 3x and i lived. That's a first, i'm getting slightly better. Figured out it kinda neighs and bucks right before doing the spin attack.

sillymonkey321 said:
checking now!

hmmmmm i see a room that looks full!

I just did urgent 5 with random people, they died 3x and i lived. That's a first, i'm getting slightly better. Figured out it kinda neighs and bucks right before doing the spin attack.
Doing alatreon with random people is definitely not the way to go. The problem is that the randoms (who are likely capped at HR 50) most likely to try to help you are the ones most likely to die during the quest :/.

You can easily waste hours failing that quest repeatedly.

Poyunch

GAF server is dead right now. The other servers aren't as hospitable either. :( After (not) fighting Deviljho I now see the need for a lance. I've been doing the Phantom Uragaan quest since to try and get a rust lance. So far I've only gotten a rust GS. Everything else has been iron weapons. :lol

PounchEnvy said:
GAF server is dead right now. The other servers aren't as hospitable either. :( After (not) fighting Deviljho I now see the need for a lance. I've been doing the Phantom Uragaan quest since to try and get a rust lance. So far I've only gotten a rust GS. Everything else has been iron weapons. :lol
Evil Joe is (slightly) weaker to thunder than to dragon. Farming lagi to make a good thunder weapon might be a (slightly) better use of your time than farming for a specific rust weapon unless you're beating mini-ura really fast.

I did that quest and it was very annoying to see that if it had been a regular ura, capturing it would have been a cinch, but you'd probably need a gunner with tranq shots to have a reasonable chance at capturing it. Otherwise you need a group hurl spamming tranq bombs at it. :/

oracrest

Ridley327 said:
Monster Fluid is dropped by any of the insect-type monsters, particularly Giggis.

yeah, the giant wasp/mosquito bugs that are everywhere, most of the time they will bust apart when you kill them, but every now and again, one will die, and fall to the ground, and you can carve them.

In older monster hunters, the best way to harvest monster fluids was to get a weak weapon with poison, and let the poison kill the bugs. They will drop to the ground that way, and don't break apart as much.

oracrest said:
yeah, the giant wasp/mosquito bugs that are everywhere, most of the time they will bust apart when you kill them, but every now and again, one will die, and fall to the ground, and you can carve them.

In older monster hunters, the best way to harvest monster fluids was to get a weak weapon with poison, and let the poison kill the bugs. They will drop to the ground that way, and don't break apart as much.
There are also some quests where you have to kill bugs and I think monster fluid will probably be in the rewards.

Your best bet at gathering monster fluids is to wait for the altaroth to gorge themselves on a food source and kill them after their abdomens become bloated.

I managed to get some by killing the bugs that inflate when they eat. They left a sparkly on the ground after. Seems quicker than carving them as they usually explode.

I just wanted to try the switch axe, it seems pretty fun.

I don't have much MH experience (about 20 hours on Freedom Unite) but I'm guessing you can't really stick to just one weapon? I quite like lances but couldn't see any way of beating the Great Jaggi (?) with it because of all the additional monsters and how fast they are. Had to go back to my bowgun for easier movement.

Owzers

Another urgent 5 failure Xo i died once this time though :p

Several more failures :( I joined a group that regularly fights it and i died once out of our three deaths. They put it to sleep and bombed it....seemed like we were making good progress.

I'm looking at the GAF Alatreon room and wondering how you guys are doing :)

Mafro

Any tips for the hunt the Lagiacrus offline quest? I keep on either fainting, or running out of time and I've about fucking had it.

Dreavus

Mafro said:
Any tips for the hunt the Lagiacrus offline quest? I keep on either fainting, or running out of time and I've about fucking had it.

What weapon are you using? As I've said before, I've had great success using Lances for all underwater hunts. I find it hard to maneuver around while swimming so I find using a Lance really helps with that.

Poyunch

Lance Bone Path said:
There are also some quests where you have to kill bugs and I think monster fluid will probably be in the rewards.

Your best bet at gathering monster fluids is to wait for the altaroth to gorge themselves on a food source and kill them after their abdomens become bloated.
Personally I have only one real use for lances and that's for Deviljho (and maybe Alatreon) so if I'm going to get a lance I might as well use the one that's most effective. I'm HR grinding and gathering Ura mats anyway so I don't really mind it.

botticus

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - Q7TGUV - Botticus (botticus)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Might not have time for more than one or two quests - looking to take out a Baggi real quick, and whatever else time-permitting. Set up in City 3.

Poyunch

Teknoman said:
Thats new, usually people doing stuff at all hours...then again, just use that MH3 Online indicator Soneet made. That usually gets the job done.
Everyone must be recuperating from Lost. :lol

Hiltz

Did the Uragaan capture quest and did another hunt quest as well. Used Tough Beak Y switch axe to kick its ass. Still need to forge the chest and hand armor pieces.

selig

Banned
Some nice hunting with Sceolan and, ah, sorry, forgot "her" name :p Bascape? Anyway, great fun. Did some of the first elite-quests. And damn the Qurupeco. Calls a Diablos, who kills me 2 times, the 2nd time with a one-hit-ko, when i had full health, wtf.

116 hours playtime...I honestly never played an action-adventure that long. And i´ll keep going :D

Boney

Banned
sillymonkey321 said:
I'm looking at the GAF Alatreon room and wondering how you guys are doing :)
We did ok dude. We died the first time unfortunately, and the second one took like 40 minutes. But the third one we raped him hard.
I'll probably jump in, in like an hour. So I'll post and tell you.
BTW, what's your name in MH.

Owzers

Boney said:
We did ok dude. We died the first time unfortunately, and the second one took like 40 minutes. But the third one we raped him hard.
I'll probably jump in, in like an hour. So I'll post and tell you.
BTW, what's your name in MH.

MH name is Alice. Still need urgent 5 :p

Owzers

I'll make a room in the hope that i can finish it before the 3rd quarter of the celtics/magic game starts Xp

Our little room needs one more for Alatreon throwdown!

botticus

I hope you don't need to wait to do the urgent quests until you're at your HR cap, do you?

My Lagi urgent popped up when I was a couple thousand away from HR18, and my 3* quests haven't unlocked after taking him down (ugh, I am not looking forward to that fight offline). Will they open up once I get the last 1600 HRP?

Tenbatsu

Kyoufu said:
Speaking of bullshit drop rates.........

Hours of farming Qurupancho and the fucker has yet to give me a wyvern stone....this is bullshittery.
Try wearing these 2 skills 'Capture Expert + Luck' when you activated Ultra Lucky Cat/Lucky Cat.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Lance Bone Path said:
My experience with fighting a Royal Ludroth underwater is that if you stay in close, it will alternate between a quick, fairly accurate, short range swipe and a slower, less accurate, longer range attack that will usually be either a charge, a forward tail lash, a spinny bite, a water breath attack, or a backhop. If it charges, it will probably charge again after it completes the first charge. The short range swipe is good news for anyone with a weapon with reach (free attacks) and somewhat bad news for anyone with extremely short ranged weapons (either get good at timing attacks inside small windows of opportunity or play it ultra-conservative).
I find the Royal Ludroth far, far easier to fight underwater than on land. He seems to be restricted to only a few moves, sits still for a few moments at a time allowing you to get some good hits on him, and doesn't go into his roll. I killed 3 last night, one with a SnS and 2 with a Plume Flint, and did the most damage when he retired into the water for a bit.

What I love is how a few days ago I was horrified by the sight of one, but now I'll run up and start swinging away with no fear. That kind of game I guess - a real sense of accomplishment once you learn a monster. Of course, that all fell in a heap when I got steamrolled by Barroth in my first fight with him - but I hope that'll change :lol

Owzers

Thanks nayi, ace, and haruka for getting me through Alatreon. I'm getting the attack patterns down for when he's on the ground but i'm still not sure how to handle him in the air besides fleeing like a coward. It's take 360 tail swipe that has me scared.

"I hope you don't need to wait to do the urgent quests until you're at your HR cap, do you?"

Last Urgent i opened up a level or two before my cap. This time i did a lot of grinding on monsters because my friend bought the game and he's a bit lower than me. I also like picking on weak monsters Xo

Poyunch

Got two Ian plates during a cap quest. One from a sparkle and the other from a tail carve. But I died twice. :( I don't know Lance. Whenever I play with you I seem to do horribly. :lol

I'm not saying you're bad luck but I sort of focus too much on not dieing when I'm hunting with you rather than on the monster. :lol

So basically I try not to die when I hunt with you since I always seem to die when hunting with you, only to die because of that.

>_> I'm weird. Maybe I should stop caring so much. :lol

Top Bottom