• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

john tv

PounchEnvy said:
Got two Ian plates during a cap quest. One from a sparkle and the other from a tail carve. But I died twice. :( I don't know Lance. Whenever I play with you I seem to do horribly. :lol

I'm not saying you're bad luck but I sort of focus too much on not dieing when I'm hunting with you rather than on the monster. :lol

So basically I try not to die when I hunt with you since I always seem to die when hunting with you, only to die because of that.

>_> I'm weird. Maybe I should stop caring so much. :lol
Sounds like the next MH needs a village shrink. :lol

Owzers

markatisu said:
BOOOO I just found a group to help me with my Baby Uragaan hunts and the damn server goes wonky and boots me out

hmmm i wonder if that was you i was with. Were you with an Alice? We did end up killing it :)

I got six rust shards that quest and they were all iron weapons. Double boo.

Duress

The amount of zenny I got from selling half of my rathian parts was ridiculous, somewhere around 100k. I'll probably will end up blowing it all in 10 minutes somehow. :lol

Poyunch

On now!!! Chuck season finale was awesome.

Oh and now I sort of regret posting what I did earlier. I'm not usually such a creep. Lol. But it is why I don't like playing with the higher level players. I just don't want to look like such a noob. It was nothing personal.

Oh me and my weirdness. :lol

markatisu

sillymonkey321 said:
hmmm i wonder if that was you i was with. Were you with an Alice? We did end up killing it :)

I got six rust shards that quest and they were all iron weapons. Double boo.

Yup, you guys fell down and then it told me there was instability and then network error, I hopped back online and it said you guys were still in my quest :lol

Going online now, if anyone wants to help me they are welcome to

That is the first time the disconnect thing has ever happened to me, the kicker was I just played a quest with you guys too

Mardak

sillymonkey321 said:
Thanks nayi, ace, and haruka for getting me through Alatreon.
Thanks for helping me as well! It was an amazing fight with the top-left clock still pointing straight to the right ;) But I suppose the fight actually took 19 minutes. I haven't checked what I managed to loot because I'm in pain from the pho challenge. Head and stomach hurt too much...

insin

Neo Member
botticus said:
My Lagi urgent popped up when I was a couple thousand away from HR18, and my 3* quests haven't unlocked after taking him down (ugh, I am not looking forward to that fight offline). Will they open up once I get the last 1600 HRP?
Yes - the same thing happened to me as I did that quest as soon as it became available. He's not too bad offline in the Deserted Isle, as there's plenty of room to manoeuvre, but he's an utter nightmare in the tight channels of the Flooded Forest.

julls said:
What I love is how a few days ago I was horrified by the sight of one, but now I'll run up and start swinging away with no fear. That kind of game I guess - a real sense of accomplishment once you learn a monster.
I love that about it- I was the same with Rathian. I first met her when a Qurupeco called her before I had access to any Rathian quests. She utterly pounded me in the wyvern nest area of Deserted Isle. Now we have a jolly old time when she calls around.

I thought my 99 thunderbugs would last for weeks, but I'm rapidly running out, being as I am a total capture whore with my Baggi armour. Hurry up and sell them again, little guy. I wish the EU Jump 4 Jaggi event quest would hurry up and come back round so I can add Luck to that armour's skills.

Kyoufu

Tenbatsu said:
Try wearing these 2 skills 'Capture Expert + Luck' when you activated Ultra Lucky Cat/Lucky Cat.

I had capture expert. After 4 hours I ended up with 5 wyvern stones, but they came in a streak of good luck at the end of the 4 hours lol.

edit: I am on now if anyone wants to play

orion434

I beat the Royal Ludroth last night with the help of a few randoms online, and literally 1 minute before he died I died... and I ran like a mo-fo to area 6 and got one carve outta him... I made 2 pieces of Armor with the rewards, and I still need to get a King's Frill to complete my Rhino Armor... won't use it most likely. I actually like collecting complete sets of Bowguns + Armors... I can organize them pretty well in my Item Box. I'll start mixin' and matchin' soon... once I am able to make a decent ammount of Jewels.

How do I acquire Charms?

dsister44

rayner said:
I beat the Royal Ludroth last night with the help of a few randoms online, and literally 1 minute before he died I died... and I ran like a mo-fo to area 6 and got one carve outta him... I made 2 pieces of Armor with the rewards, and I still need to get a King's Frill to complete my Rhino Armor... won't use it most likely. I actually like collecting complete sets of Bowguns + Armors... I can organize them pretty well in my Item Box. I'll start mixin' and matchin' soon... once I am able to make a decent ammount of Jewels.

How do I acquire Charms?

charms turn up as quest rewards, different quests give you different chances of getting charms but i dont think you can get a charm from just any quest

Haunted

rayner said:

How do I acquire Charms?
Rhino armour is pretty good against Barroth in the beginning (Negates Mud/Snow).

Either mine them at the volcano, or do some event missions, those usually give charms.

botticus

dsister44 said:
charms turn up as quest rewards, different quests give you different chances of getting charms but i dont think you can get a charm from just any quest
I randomly got a handful of charms from one Baggi capture quest last night, thought that was odd.

Can someone remind me what the combo chain is for Tranquilizers/Tranq Bombs? Starting to run out of those along with traps, but I've got the mats for plenty more of those.

orion434

Haunted said:
Rhino armour is pretty good against Barroth in the beginning (Negates Mud/Snow).

Either mine them at the volcano, or do some event missions, those usually give charms.

I need to be a higher Hunter Rank to do event missions... A full group of 4 ~ HR 5 - 8 players tried to defeat the 4 Great Jaggis and we failed due to time... I mean I'm doing all I can to up my damage, but these boss hunts are taking WAY too long and I get impatient. I now cultivate Might Seeds to make Might Pills, use them regularly along with Rations... and eat Meat + Drink before the quest. I mean the only thing I don't do often is traps... I just hate wasting a trap when the monster runs / flys away to another area, I'm poor :(

Maaannn, I'm going to have to break my embargo on Monster Hunter this week because I really want to hunt a mini-Uragaan.

Edit: Meh, and while I'm here, I need advice for soloing Diablos. I've tried taking the thing down multiple times and always run out of time. This includes trapping and bombing the bajeezus out of it.

Korigama

I'm starting to wonder if there is something to this desire sensor thing...I just got a Rathian Plate for the first one I killed offline when I wasn't even looking for it.

Syril

rayner said:

How do I acquire Charms?

I got a bunch from the quest offline to get Wyvern Eggs.

dsister44

DragonGirl said:
Maaannn, I'm going to have to break my embargo on Monster Hunter this week because I really want to hunt a mini-Uragaan.

Edit: Meh, and while I'm here, I need advice for soloing Diablos. I've tried taking the thing down multiple times and always run out of time. This includes trapping and bombing the bajeezus out of it.

do you use sonic bombs when it dives into the ground? also what weapon are you using?

oracrest

DragonGirl said:

traditionally, his tail has been the weakest part of his body, so try and attack it as much as you can. and sonic bomb as soon as he goes under.

dsister44 said:
do you use sonic bombs when it dives into the ground? also what weapon are you using?

I have never successfully sonic bombed it. I don't try when its raging and I toss one as soon as it's going underground and my aim is pretty good. No success.

Weapons I use are Royal Claw +, Djinn, The Jhen Mohran Longsword, Amber Slash switch axe and the Barroth Switchaxe just below Bastian Blitz. I also have the Thundrclap longsword.

selig

Banned
ffs, did the Qurupeco-quest for elite-hunters, and suddenly...a monster appears that ive never seen. "Scanned" it and...Deviljho. Wow, im scared by that guy. Looks like Roland Emmerich´s Godzilla.

explodet

Syril said:
I got a bunch from the quest offline to get Wyvern Eggs.
The online quest is similar - soloable, and you don't have to unsheathe your weapon once (unless you do subquest B, which I find takes too much time). Just got to load up on stamina and make sure you know how to avoid the Rathian that wants to spoil your day.

I do that one if I need some cash (10K zenny) and you get a bunch of charms to boot. You just have to finish the Urgent 1* quest to access it.

Ridley327

selig said:
ffs, did the Qurupeco-quest for elite-hunters, and suddenly...a monster appears that ive never seen. "Scanned" it and...Deviljho. Wow, im scared by that guy. Looks like Roland Emmerich´s Godzilla.

I can assure you that it takes a lot more than a volley of missiles to take Joe down. We had him show up in a Rathian hunt last night and we got right the hell out of there and sort of hoped he'd soften the Ian up a bit.

orion434

explodet said:
The online quest is similar - soloable, and you don't have to unsheathe your weapon once (unless you do subquest B, which I find takes too much time). Just got to load up on stamina and make sure you know how to avoid the Rathian that wants to spoil your day.

I do that one if I need some cash (10K zenny) and you get a bunch of charms to boot. You just have to finish the Urgent 1* quest to access it.

Wait... is this the quest where you have to just transport 2 Eggs in the Sandy Plains?

explodet

rayner said:
Wait... is this the quest where you have to just transport 2 Eggs in the Sandy Plains?
The one I'm talking about is the online quest called "Wyvern Conservation" - it's 3 eggs, in the Deserted Island / Moga Woods. A Rathian shows up a few minutes after you start the quest. Paintballing her to keep track of her is recommended.

The 2 eggs in the Sandy Plains is offline, called "Herbivore Egg Hunt!"

EDIT: There's an online version of the Sandy Plains one (3 eggs) but it's less cash and you don't get as many charms. No Rathian though, just cats, jaggis and renopoloses (renopoli?).

orion434

explodet said:
The one I'm talking about is the online quest called "Wyvern Conservation" - it's 3 eggs, in the Deserted Island / Moga Woods. A Rathian shows up a few minutes after you start the quest. Paintballing her to keep track of her is recommended.

The 2 eggs in the Sandy Plains is offline, called "Herbivore Egg Hunt!"

Cool, thanx... so far I have like 34 hours of play and only found 2 Charms... one with Auto-Block +10 and One with Ice Res +5. I'd like something with a decent skill, does a Gunner even benefit from Auto-Block?

selig

Banned
Ridley327 said:
I can assure you that it takes a lot more than a volley of missiles to take Joe down. We had him show up in a Rathian hunt last night and we got right the hell out of there and sort of hoped he'd soften the Ian up a bit.

aside from amount of hp, is he really that hard? i mean, we didnt start fighting him, but he didnt look that dangerous in terms of attacks.

explodet

rayner said:
Cool, thanx... so far I have like 34 hours of play and only found 2 Charms... one with Auto-Block +10 and One with Ice Res +5. I'd like something with a decent skill, does a Gunner even benefit from Auto-Block?
I think some heavy guns let you block, but don't quote me on that, my gunner is in its infancy.

I do play a Switch Axe user though, and when I had the auto-block charm on, it was greyed out because SA's can't block. So you're better off looking for another charm. I believe the offline versions have them as rewards too, you just don't get as many when you finish.

orion434

explodet said:
I think some heavy guns let you block, but don't quote me on that, my gunner is in its infancy.

I do play a Switch Axe user though, and when I had the auto-block charm on, it was greyed out because SA's can't block. So you're better off looking for another charm. I believe the offline versions have them as rewards too, you just don't get as many when you finish.

Yeah, I've noticed that mine is greyed out too... figured it didn't work with it, so I switched it to my Ice Res +5 I'll do some of those Herbivore Egg Hunt and try to get some better skills.

explodet

I'm about 60 hours in and only just last night started messing around with charms, I was loaded down with them though. They sort by rarity and not by skill so it was time consuming to weed out all the redundant and useless ones.
My favourite charm is Evasion +5 / Flame Aura -10 on my Qurupeco set, free evasion level with no downside.

Took on an Uragaan last night, brought my water hammer and I was totally credit to team. It's good that he's so big I couldn't NOT hit him. Barioth was fun too, although with that sucker we got tired of trying to kill him because he's so bouncy, and when he was limping I tranqed his ass just to save time.

orion434

explodet said:
I'm about 60 hours in and only just last night started messing around with charms, I was loaded down with them though. They sort by rarity and not by skill so it was time consuming to weed out all the redundant and useless ones.
My favourite charm is Evasion +5 / Flame Aura -10 on my Qurupeco set, free evasion level with no downside.

Took on an Uragaan last night, brought my water hammer and I was totally credit to team. It's good that he's so big I couldn't NOT hit him. Barioth was fun too, although with that sucker we got tired of trying to kill him because he's so bouncy, and when he was limping I tranqed his ass just to save time.

I read the Charm guide and I'd like one with PelletS+ or PierceS+... and I wonder how exactly Rapid Fire Works on a charm?

explodet

Looking at it, looks like if you collect +10 Rapid Fire you get Bonus Shot, which means you get to fire 4 shots instead of 3. Check the Gun list on the wiki to see which guns rapid fire which ammo.

You'll probably have to make some decorations in order to get enough points, sometimes points on charms can be real stingy.

Korigama

Fuck Gigginox in whichever end is supposed to be his ass...seriously. I've failed that quest due to running out of time twice now (and fainted twice on the second try).

Ridley327

selig said:
aside from amount of hp, is he really that hard? i mean, we didnt start fighting him, but he didnt look that dangerous in terms of attacks.

If you have just basic high rank armor on, he can easily OHKO you without much problem. He's fierce, no doubt.

orion434

explodet said:
Looking at it, looks like if you collect +10 Rapid Fire you get Bonus Shot, which means you get to fire 4 shots instead of 3. Check the Gun list on the wiki to see which guns rapid fire which ammo.

You'll probably have to make some decorations in order to get enough points, sometimes points on charms can be real stingy.

Whoa... that's actually kinda bad for bosses, bad enough I barley escape shooting 2 Pellets or 3 Pierce. I got the decorations down, and the wiki is really good with explaining the skills.

Mafro

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - B1GT8N - Mafro (Mafro)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

john tv said:
Sounds like the next MH needs a village shrink. :lol
I was thinking about posting about how that quest went :p.

Basically I went online with the thought that I would make some easy money doing easy quests because I was almost broke. I end up posting a capture ian quest since I'm the only one with an ian quest.

During the quest, I start to feel discouraged since somehow everyone keeps getting way spread out so ian is spending easily 70% of its time too far for me to attack. I secretly hope that someone will die so that the percentage goes down to near 50%. ian does a tail flip and someone dies.

Finally, I feel like I'm getting some attacks in. We take off the tail.

Back to fighting it with three people and we're all spread out, but this time it's raging. Someone gets caught in ian's fire blast attack. He dies. It's almost capturable, so I'm not concerned.

A little while later, we're back to three people again. Ian's capturable and calmed down. I lay down a trap and wait, standing right behind the trap. Should be an easy capture.

The other two join me, but someone is standing way too far to the side. Ian charges that person and misses the trap by an entire body width. Ian then flies off. In my mind's eye, I see the quest ending in failure as a raged ian charges someone laying down a trap. (Actually, I don't really see this- I just want to end the quest to make sure I get some money back.)

I head back to base camp and do the "end via subquest". When the quest is done, I see that I've about broken even on money.

ShinNL

Lance Bone Path said:
I was thinking about posting about how that quest went :p.

Basically I went online with the thought that I would make some easy money doing easy quests because I was almost broke. I end up posting a capture ian quest since I'm the only one with an ian quest.

During the quest, I start to feel discouraged since somehow everyone keeps getting way spread out so ian is spending easily 70% of its time too far for me to attack. I secretly hope that someone will die so that the percentage goes down to near 50%. ian does a tail flip and someone dies.

Finally, I feel like I'm getting some attacks in. We take off the tail.

Back to fighting it with three people and we're all spread out, but this time it's raging. Someone gets caught in ian's fire blast attack. He dies. It's almost capturable, so I'm not concerned.

A little while later, we're back to three people again. Ian's capturable and calmed down. I lay down a trap and wait, standing right behind the trap. Should be an easy capture.

The other two join me, but someone is standing way too far to the side. Ian charges that person and misses the trap by an entire body width. Ian then flies off. In my mind's eye, I see the quest ending in failure as a raged ian charges someone laying down a trap.

I head back to base camp and do the "end via subquest". When the quest is done, I see that I've about broken even on money.
I understand this is from your perspective, but what I'm seeing here is someone who's hoping for a teammate to be killed, only cares if he himself can hit the monster and someone who ends the quest early without asking anyone. Am I right? Do you play with a Long Sword too perhaps?

Soneet said:
I understand this is from your perspective, but what I'm seeing here is someone who's hoping for a teammate to be killed, only cares if he himself can hit the monster and someone who ends the quest early without asking anyone. Am I right? Do you play with a Long Sword too perhaps?
Sometimes I hope that people get knocked out of commission, but I've only acted on that impulse once. I feel mildly guilty about that, but i'm not sure you would understand unless you've been stagger locked by someone spamming lv. 1 akantor bow shots from behind you at an ioprey while you were being charged by a gravios.

My last words before I went to the base camp were "traps?" I suppose I could have waited longer for a response, but 2 K.O.s on a capture quest that I've posted where I can't lay down another trap for several minutes and where I don't know if anyone else has traps is "quest is done".

Yes, I sometimes play with a long sword.

Well, sometimes people do things that are annoying and I try not to let it get to me.

Top Bottom