• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Tenbatsu

Boney said:
Ok so getting S rank in Arena is impossible. Me and Alien Manobo (Znarf) were doing good runs, not perfect runs, but pretty good ones. Managed A rank on Ian and 3 seconds away for Lagi. But it's impossible to achieve those numbers.

It's way fun though, trying to get them.
World Record is 3mins 2s for Lagi arena 2 players. Maybe faster now.

Syril said:
For SnS users having problems getting knocked around, I discovered that when you open with a jump attack, you seem to be immune to allies' attacks for the duration of the combo.
Yes, 3 sec super armor mode for jump attack.

botticus

markatisu said:
You dont need to necessarily have an armor upgrade, just learn his pattern and attack when he waddles or after he throws some rocks out

What armor were you using?
Working with Barroth gear right now. The two of us just took out a big Uragaan, so it's doable. I didn't realize the first time that he blew up those rocks. I was thinking I was just getting hit by some random explosive attack.

Biggest problem with the little guy is that my sword can pretty much only connect with his underbelly/legs.

botticus said:
Working with Barroth gear right now. The two of us just took out a big Uragaan, so it's doable. I didn't realize the first time that he blew up those rocks. I was thinking I was just getting hit by some random explosive attack.

Biggest problem with the little guy is that my sword can pretty much only connect with his underbelly/legs.

Or right before the end of his tail..I just did it when a green LS. In Peco gear gemmed for evade+2.

Poyunch

How hard is it to find Firecell stones? I know they're found in high rank quests and I need some for my Agnaktor SA.

edit: Oh and I love Mini-Ura. I don't have enough patience to deal with the normal sized ura.

botticus

Thanks a lot for the great hunting and introduction to the 3* tier, Boney/Lance/Khory. I hope I didn't cause you too much grief with my minimum one death per fight.

Teknoman

Guess im up next.

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - FLAYTP - Teknoman (Teknoman)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

markatisu

OK it's time to farm Baby Urugaan

NA - TYDHLQ - ISUMark (Markatisu)

tenchir

Did pretty well on the Jhen runs. I think it was 3 kills, 3 repels, and no loss? Too bad I didn't get any gems in any on of them :(

Owzers

PounchEnvy said:
How hard is it to find Firecell stones? I know they're found in high rank quests and I need some for my Agnaktor SA.

edit: Oh and I love Mini-Ura. I don't have enough patience to deal with the normal sized ura.

It doesn't seem to be very hard, i always get a few when i go mining in high rank volcano

Hiltz

Success! Completed the Ceadeus repel quest. It was actually quite refreshing to have such a rather relaxing quest against a monster (and the music was awesome). Those ancient ballista weapons came in handy too.

I thought the single player mode was over but then the Guild offers the hardest urgent quest shit yet! I love this game!

Killed two more Agnaktors and forged the helmet and almost have enough for the chest piece to complete the set.

Played for a few hours again last night. I think I'm beginning to get what this game is all about.

I like the Hammer and the Lance so far. Iron Hammer and Bone Lance paths. Completed all the one star quests and beat the Great Jaggi quest as well.

I do have a very noobish question for all you vets, since you seem so receptive to the newcomers. I'm assuming the only way to get healing items is to gather the resources in the field and then combine for potions and whatnot. Do you guys find that you get all the herbs and shrooms you need for this during your quests or do you periodically just go out randomly to grab as many of these as you need at your leisure? I never seem to have enough herbs even though I always stop for them.

Kyoufu

TheLastCandle said:
Played for a few hours again last night. I think I'm beginning to get what this game is all about.

I like the Hammer and the Lance so far. Iron Hammer and Bone Lance paths. Completed all the one star quests and beat the Great Jaggi quest as well.

I do have a very noobish question for all you vets, since you seem so receptive to the newcomers. I'm assuming the only way to get healing items is to gather the resources in the field and then combine for potions and whatnot. Do you guys find that you get all the herbs and shrooms you need for this during your quests or do you periodically just go out randomly to grab as many of these as you need at your leisure? I never seem to have enough herbs even though I always stop for them.

I think the last time I gathered for healing herbs was roughly 8 years ago.

Since then, I've always bought potions from the NPC in the village/guild hall.

Kyoufu said:
I think the last time I gathered for healing herbs was roughly 8 years ago.

Since then, I've always bought potions from the NPC in the village/guild hall.

Gotcha. Money seems to always be tight in this game to me, though. Maybe I should start selling some of the goodies I get as opposed to stockpiling them in the box in my room. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
TheLastCandle said:

You can buy herbs and potions, but if you don't want to buy them everytime, gather them and start growing them in your farm in single player.

schuelma said:
You can buy herbs and potions, but if you don't want to buy them everytime, gather them and start growing them in your farm in single player.

Rock. Just getting around to figuring the farming out right now. You do eventually get more farmhand/catpeople correct?

botticus

TheLastCandle said:
Gotcha. Money seems to always be tight in this game to me, though. Maybe I should start selling some of the goodies I get as opposed to stockpiling them in the box in my room. :lol
I need to do the same, but I might wait until my box is full to do that. I'm sure once I decide to sell some Jaggi parts, I'll suddenly need a random claw for some new item. But I've been running with 20-30k zenny pretty much the entire game, basically enough for the lower weapon and armor set upgrades.

Kyoufu

Something I've done ever since the first game:

If I have over 20 of a monster part, I sell half of them. With this method I've always had a good cash flow.

orion434

Joined a Jump 4 Jaggi with high level players last night, didn't kill the Querpo, but the HR was better than anything I was doing before. Yesterday I was all talking about Capturing monsters and the very next Charm I get is Perception +6 so I added 2 more Decorations to get + 10 & "Capture Guru" and it was smooth sailing... knowing exactly when to capture is exactly what I needed... I captured Jaggi, Querpo and Royal Ludroth :D then I did Barrioth offline and beat him on first try, being a Bowgunner finally has it's advantage!!! He's slow, predictible, and I was NEVER in range of that mud-crap.

I'm almost at HR 8... like 50pts away, had to stop cause I fell asleep while playing. This game is like crack. If anyone wants to help a low-level gunner, I'll be on ~ 5pm EST and I heal :D

dsister44

Finally!

after 80+ hours of using the standard peco set I now have new armour, and it looks soooooo badass :D

any EU players on anytime soon? i'm really close to achieving high rank :)

botticus said:
Thanks a lot for the great hunting and introduction to the 3* tier, Boney/Lance/Khory. I hope I didn't cause you too much grief with my minimum one death per fight.

My pleasure. I'd be the one with the 1 death per hunt if I hadn't finally upgraded my armor. Now maybe I can finally solo that freak Diablos offline.

Hawkian said:
Glad to hear DragonGirl is still able to play.

I'm cheating though. I'm supposed to be playing Prince of Persia so I can review it. I'll hit PoP over the weekend. (I am a fan of the PoP series, just didn't want to miss the event quests this week)

Also, on the issue of multiplayer etiquette: Mostly I don't mind if I get hit occasionally. I play long sword and switch axe myself and sometimes hit somebody by accident, it happens. But if I see I'm hitting somebody, I stop and move. The only problem I ever had with somebody was a hammer user who liked to pile in on top of me with that spinny move.

The only thing I consider inexcusable is hitting somebody laying a bomb after they announced they'll be laying bombs.

Nothing like getting whacked in the back then blown sky high even though I told everyone before the quest "Hey, I'm going to pitfall it early then bomb it".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Kyoufu said:

If I have over 20 of a monster part, I sell half of them. With this method I've always had a good cash flow.

This is a VERY helpful tip for me. Managing my cash has been extremely difficult as a gunner. Last time there was a sale in the shop I just bough around 200 of each ammo type for my box so I can save a bit more efficiently, but I still need an extra flow of cash.

Luigiv

Kyoufu said:

I use to do something like that in the first monster hunter (when box space was limited and quests gave you practically no cash) but since MHFU my policy has changed to "If it goes over 297..." yeah you get the point (I'm a hoarder by heart).

tomegatherion77

Neo Member
I am about to log on. HR49 looking for event quest, and 5* urgent shortly.

NA - JX11HZ - Magnus (tomegatherion77)

botticus said:
No grief here. I was sitting there playing and secretly hoping someone would die because it doesn't feel like a real monster hunt/horror flick unless comrades are knocked off left and right. I also used life powder strategically since that hoping part was supposed to be a secret :p.

botticus

Kyoufu said:

I think what I may do is craft whatever armor is available to me, just for my completionist tendencies, and sell half of whatever monster parts remain in bulk (i.e. Jaggi). If I need more parts than I have left once I get to high rank stuff or change weapons, I'm sure farming it for a few minutes won't kill me.

Lance Bone Path said:
I was sitting there playing and secretly hoping someone would die because it doesn't feel like a real monster hunt/horror flick unless comrades are knocked off left and right.
I knew it!

Mardak

TheLastCandle said:
Is there a significant benefit to capturing monsters rather than killing them?
Different rewards. Some items are more likely when showing up as quest rewards (under the capture section), but some items are only available by carving. Sometimes it's easier to capture than kill as well.

Haunted

Kyoufu said:

That's what I used to do (well, sell the surplus over 20), but with the crazy +set requirements, I've stopped that in fear I need 30 _____ Scales for a set or something. >_<

Ryuuga

Banned
Is there a faster way to get wyvern stones other than harassing qurupeco+? Also, would anyone be up for harassing qurupeco+? :lol

Haunted

Ryuuga said:
Is there a faster way to get wyvern stones other than harassing qurupeco+? Also, would anyone be up for harassing qurupeco+? :lol
Monsters that drop Wyvern Stones: Quru, R.Ludo, Gobul, Barroth, Giggi, Barioth, Diablos, Agnaktor.

Quru and R.Ludo obviously being the easiest to farm. Percentages don't change much (all range from 2% - 4%) Breaking Agnaktor's head yields a 6% chance.

explodet said:
Get out, really?

mind = blown
It has to be a capture quest, not just capturing during a hunt quest, I think, and the requirements for unlocking the rathalos, gobul, and barioth arena quests are different. Those last three I'm sure are a lot of fun.

I've only done the rathalos one and I'm about ten minutes away from an A rank. I don't know if I can handle the excitement of doing it again :p.

Lenardo

Banned
i'm going REALLLY slow compared to you guys- well that and galaxy 2 is out...

i am a mighty hr3 or 4 online- haven't grouped at all, just solo work.

i AM glad to see that capcom is still avertising it. saw one last night on syfi (think it was when ghost hunters was on)

Boney

Banned
Duress said:
I've been through a couple of advance quests and was wondering when do they appear?
I think they're random, and just there for completionists, and you can get a 3* Agnaktor.

ShinNL

It's pretty awesome that one of the best charms is given free offline: auto-guard. But man, my advice: don't get too attached to it, because you'll totally miss it when you switch for another charm and use a weapon with guard. It took me a lot of hits to finally realize that I should be blocking manually with the block button. This is also the same time I discovered the lance's awesome shield charge move: move forward while blocking. Can be canceled to shield bash and then to poke string.... :O~

Top Bottom