• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Hiltz said:
Yes, he has the ancient mask on. I'm not sure how to make use of it though. Do I have to press something in the menu to get his ability to work or do I have to be next to him? Cha Cha was just swimming around the area, barely helping out despite having his two abilities set to dragon attack and hunter.
With the classic controller, "-" followed by a "+" will comand him to give you some air.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Air Zombie Meat said:
edit: oh, if you're talking about dying then I've only seen a couple of people get shitty about it, most are understanding.

Mostly talking about mis-using my weapon.

botticus

Quite honestly I think at least half the time I've been launched by someone's attack, it has saved me from damage. And I don't think it's ever directly resulted in me taking damage either. So it's just an occasionally amusing speedbump. As an SnS user, the most I can generally do is give someone a mosquito bite, since I tend not to use my shield bash in multiplayer.

markatisu

schuelma said:
What is difficult to me is balancing my desire to not die and cause the quest to fail with wanting to contribute and not be the ass running around the whole time.

Well just look at it this way, you don't die and everyone makes the full money. As long as you try to contribute in attacks nobody will care.

The thing I find difficult is finding your role on a given team, it usually takes me 1-2 quests to figure out "ok I am the guy that runs and cuts them from behind/tries to get the tail off" or "ok I am the diversion so I need to make sure I get the monster to follow me and not die"

The worst quests I have ever been on are the ones where everyone thinks they need to hack the hell out of the monster and its just mayhem

ramus said:
Why bother using the hammer then? A lot of the hammer's value comes from well-timed superpounds to monsters' heads which are necessary for KOs.
In theory, you can knock something out faster by using combos and non-fully charged attacks that can go immediately into combos.

If you're attacking a stationary target that isn't going to attack you, the attack with the highest DPS is the triple pound. The only downside is that you spend a lot of time standing there right after the golf swing. The golf swing does the most damage out of the 3 attacks in that combo and does more damage than the finisher in the super pound.

The single most damaging attack in a hammer user's arsenal is the golf swing finisher following the triple spin. Timing this attack to connect is tricky and I think it was easier to do this consistently in MHFU. The spin portion of the attack doesn't do much damage, but it's useful for status effects (when you're using a paralyze hammer).

In practice it's tricky to time a charged attack that isn't either the first level charge or the last level charge. It's also tricky figuring out when to do a triple pound since the finisher leaves you vulnerable while the superpound lets you roll away immediately.

Mardak

schuelma said:
Do Jump 4 Jaggi with 1 or 2 high level gaffers and you'll be getting HR like nothing. I think we beat the quest in like 8 minutes a few times last night. It took longer for the corpse to disappear and a new one to emerge than it did to kill it :lol
Yup. Just wait at the cave exit for the new Jaggi after killing the first.

I believe you get 1650 HR points if you kill the 4 + peco. So if you have exchanger you'll get 2475 HR points in ~15 minutes!

Dreavus

Kyoufu said:
A few times I've paralysed a monster with my Gobulu lance only to be knocked over for the entirety of the paralyse by a trigger-happy LS user :lol

And what Soneet said, hes right, if you're near the monster's head and you get pounded away, thats your own fault.

Since I've started using paralyzing weapons more (with my status up armor) I notice this kind of stuff happens a lot, and not just from folks wielding the longsword. I'm speaking entirely general here, but many people seem to abandon the idea of a "team" as soon as the monster is vulnerable, and charge in for as much damage as possible as quickly as possible, regardless of who is in their way. The SA sword explosion thing, lance charges, spirit combos, etc. can all mess up other players pretty badly. (not to say that you aren't saying that, just something I've noticed.)

schuelma

Mardak said:
I believe you get 1650 HR points if you kill the 4 + peco. So if you have exchanger you'll get 2475 HR points in ~15 minutes!

ok, what is this exchanger? someone mentioned it last night and I had no clue what they were talking about.

kinggroin

Banned
schuelma said:
I kind of meant it toungue in cheek, but it is a reality check to some extent.

What is difficult to me is balancing my desire to not die and cause the quest to fail with wanting to contribute and not be the ass running around the whole time.

Hahaha, I get like that sometimes. There have been quests where I'm in waaaay over my head.

I think last night we fought a uragaan and I had no damn clue what to do. Mostly, I ran around charging my hammer looking for an opening, all the while wasting my potions. Terrible.

After my first death, I decided I was better off just giving potions away and setting up traps : /

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Kyoufu said:
A few times I've paralysed a monster with my Gobulu lance only to be knocked over for the entirety of the paralyse by a trigger-happy LS user :lol
I'm so sorry :( . But you kinda jumped right into my switch-axe while it was overloading :p

schuelma said:
I kind of meant it toungue in cheek, but it is a reality check to some extent.

Heh, I know what you mean, I was like that at first. I don't think I've ever been annoyed at someone not contributing enough damage. Just by being there and having the monster direct it's attacks at you is a help. Getting too greedy and trying to get too many hits in when its unsafe is the number one mistake people make. Patience is really a virtue in this game. Once you start watching what the monsters doing you'll naturally start learning good openings to attack. Arena/Offline quests are really good for learning the monsters too.

Also you can be a great asset to your team by learning how to use support items (bombs,traps, horns etc) well.

Hiltz

Yeah, it really sucks when you miss an opportunity for free hits after setting up a trap or getting a monster paralyzed or stunned.

I learned that after facing Lagiacrus (especially underwater), do not stand right next to a trap, particularly a shock trap as monsters like him have bodies long enough to still clobber you right (I think this can also be said of practically any monster that tries to do a charging ram-like attack)when they get caught in the trap. Just gotta stand a few inches a way for safety reasons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
kinggroin said:
Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn about being slashed, mained or bludgeoned by other players? After a quick, "Gah!", I'm usually laughing and back to attacking the monster at a different spot.

Nope, don't give a crap either. :lol Anytime it's actually caused me damage, people have apologized anyway. It's part of the challenge... I don't think I could get that angry about it even if I tried.

In return I ask that people extend the same courtesy to the sporadic errant Crag or Clust shot :p I tend to be VERY judicious with them though, and aim high. For clusts I'll usually announce I'm starting a barrage beforehand too.

Boney said:
Haha it seems the game doesn't want me to log in Znarf!

EDIT: Wow it's slow.. hang in there Znarf!

I've been getting the same problems earlier. If you're not coming back, let's just try and get S-Rank in the Arena some other time.

schuelma said:
Mostly talking about mis-using my weapon.
I realize I probably come off as an elitist that can't stand it when people don't play by some impossibly high set of standards, but I think you did fine.

I was surprised that you didn't comment on how long it took us to complete the quest when I decided to amuse myself by bringing low rank gunner armor and aquamatic "spark", ended up accidentally not bringing any health or stamina recovery items, and then ended up with us losing that other person to a connection error. That was pretty brutal and was the reason I recommended that we didn't chase after the quru :p.

ShinNL

Fistwell said:
Sure, it's all the same. Except if someone behaves like a douche, he just has to be a LS user.

... *snip*
I had gone overboard with a wall of text. I'll stop there, this is clearly pointless as all hell.
LS is the easiest weapon to be a douche. Mobility, immunity, range.

schuelma said:
On another note, this discussion the last 2 pages has me thinking of never playing online with high ranked players again. Now I'm really really paranoid about screwing up..
Sorry for scaring you. As others have said, no one will really lose sleep over hits, as long as they don't end up dying because of you. You have to try really hard to achieve that.

Lance Bone Path said:
In theory, you can knock something out faster by using combos and non-fully charged attacks that can go immediately into combos.

If you're attacking a stationary target that isn't going to attack you, the attack with the highest DPS is the triple pound. The only downside is that you spend a lot of time standing there right after the golf swing. The golf swing does the most damage out of the 3 attacks in that combo and does more damage than the finisher in the super pound.

The single most damaging attack in a hammer user's arsenal is the golf swing finisher following the triple spin. Timing this attack to connect is tricky and I think it was easier to do this consistently in MHFU. The spin portion of the attack doesn't do much damage, but it's useful for status effects (when you're using a paralyze hammer).

In practice it's tricky to time a charged attack that isn't either the first level charge or the last level charge. It's also tricky figuring out when to do a triple pound since the finisher leaves you vulnerable while the superpound lets you roll away immediately.
It's changed in Tri. Lv1 charge combos into upswing (like the unsheathe attack) and that in turn combos further to the triple pound. After the triple pound you're allowed to go back to charging. It's much much stronger now to combo indefinitely (lv1 charge, upswing, triple pound, repeat) than to charge to superpound and roll. The superpound is actually the only thing that can't be put back to the charge. Lv2 charge also combos into side hit, then to the last 2 hits of the triple pound. After 2 normal hits of the triple pound you can cancel into charge if you know the third hit will miss.

Boney

Banned
Ok so getting S rank in Arena is impossible. Me and Alien Manobo (Znarf) were doing good runs, not perfect runs, but pretty good ones. Managed A rank on Ian and 3 seconds away for Lagi. But it's impossible to achieve those numbers.

It's way fun though, trying to get them.

schuelma

Lance Bone Path said:
I realize I probably come off as an elitist that can't stand it when people don't play by some impossibly high set of standards, but I think you did fine.

I was surprised that you didn't comment on how long it took us to complete the quest when I decided to amuse myself by bringing low rank gunner armor and aquamatic "spark", ended up accidentally not bringing any health or stamina recovery items, and then ended up with us losing that other person to a connection error. That was pretty brutal and was the reason I recommended that we didn't chase after the quru :p.

Thanks. I didn't think it took too long, and it was fun to be with a gunner.

schuelma

A dilemma- Galaxy 2 just arrived. Start it or keep killing monsters.

decisions decisions

Boney said:
Ok so getting S rank in Arena is impossible. Me and Alien Manobo (Znarf) were doing good runs, not perfect runs, but pretty good ones. Managed A rank on Ian and 3 seconds away for Lagi. But it's impossible to achieve those numbers.

It's way fun though, trying to get them.
I found a youtube video of a S rank on the lagi arena quest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_nDg6omtO0

The video is notable in how well the long sword is used throughout practically the entire video.

Boney

Banned
schuelma said:

decisions decisions
I´m trying to make Galaxy last, and I know this is one game I won´t come back to. So I´m doing both and giving the edge to this one. It's a lot of will power though :lol

Boney

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
I found a youtube video of a S rank on the lagi arena quest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_nDg6omtO0

The video is notable in how well the long sword is used throughout practically the entire video.
I´m not gonna watch it, since I want to try and figure this stuff by myself and my partner. But thanks though!

Anyway, anyone who it getting burned on the game, give online arena a try with a good partner.. So much fun!

EDIT: Ups double post..

markatisu

schuelma said:

decisions decisions

What HR are you at? If you can get up to a high enough level you can leave and not have to worry about coming back and having to do extra work when we feel like playing

Syril

For SnS users having problems getting knocked around, I discovered that when you open with a jump attack, you seem to be immune to allies' attacks for the duration of the combo.

botticus

schuelma said:

decisions decisions
Psh, I have 65 hours in MH and 1 star in Galaxy 2. It's not going anywhere.

Also, fuck yeah, beat Lagi offline! I went in once just to see how things would run, and without using any healing items, I died three times in 10 minutes. :lol Before my last death I discovered that the second S in SnS is actually useful underwater! Seems like it's impossible to dodge him, so blocking or auto-guarding did wonders. Ended up beating him with 3 minutes left when he thankfully ran to Area 12 to try to rest. I could have captured him a few minutes earlier but I had already used 2 shock traps, so he didn't stick in my third one long enough for me to get my aim down.

Phew!

There's a lot of awesome stuff to mine in the Volcano. Found a rustshard... and it was a Hunter Knife+. Lots of Armor Sphere+ and Adv Armor Spheres among other things.

My internet finally came back now that I'm probably going to have to take a break. I'll likely be ready to rock online later tonight

schuelma

markatisu said:
What HR are you at? If you can get up to a high enough level you can leave and not have to worry about coming back and having to do extra work when we feel like playing

Only at 15. I'm going to keep at it with Tri for a while I think.

markatisu

botticus said:
My internet finally came back now that I'm probably going to have to take a break. I'll likely be ready to rock online later tonight

I will be online tonight doing Baby Uragaan hunts if you want to join me

markatisu

botticus said:
Perhaps I will once PusherT helps me get me last few HRP to HR18!

Cool, if you are close to HR18 when I come on I dont mind helping you get over the hump (Rathian quests, etc)

The more the merrier for farming Uragaan in about the easiest way possible

Ridley327

Teknoman said:
What are the event quests for this week?

Jump Four Jaggi went back up while The Phantom Uragaan is a new one. There's a sandstorm happening right now, so you can get back to Jhen farming.

Teknoman

Ridley327 said:
Jump Four Jaggi went back up while The Phantom Uragaan is a new one. There's a sandstorm happening right now, so you can get back to Jhen farming.

Awesome, need that Jhen long sword. Definitely going online tonight.

botticus

markatisu said:
Cool, if you are close to HR18 when I come on I dont mind helping you get over the hump (Rathian quests, etc)

The more the merrier for farming Uragaan in about the easiest way possible
Already done. And oh look, a Rath Plate!

Moving on to mini Uragaan now since I can use those mats as soon as I get a large inheritance from my rich village chief.

markatisu

botticus said:
I think it's about time for an armor upgrade. That was a lot of one-hit kills from mini-Uragaan.

You dont need to necessarily have an armor upgrade, just learn his pattern and attack when he waddles or after he throws some rocks out

What armor were you using?

Top Bottom