• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Luigiv said:
Funnily enough, my biggest problem with the review is that he seemed to hate the game yet he still gave it a 7 (which really isn't that bad a score). Shows everything that's wrong with the Video Game review process.

I know exactly what you mean. In a similar way, the NTSC review basically gushes over the game the entire time with barely a negative mentioned, and then awards it the same inexplicable 7/10. :lol

In any event, it looks like this game will critical match or most likely surpass Freedom Unite, which was by a healthy margin the best-reviewed in the series for sure.

ShinNL

Posting this on a new page to create awareness.

Share your Hunter ID with fellow GAF members (using the correct format as described in the OP would be appreciated):

GAF Community and Online Match-Up Thread

Note: It's recommended NOT to jump into online right away. Unlock the remaining weapon types and get a hang of the objectives and controls first, before you manage to singlehandedly fail a quest for the whole party by dying 3 times.

Tenbatsu

john tv said:
Yeah, it's too bad about that review -- pretty obvious the reviewer barely played the game (and sucked, apparently). Some of his comments about the combat were ridiculous.
EDGE review sucks too I read it in the bookshop.

Btw john tv, My Set 調合 -> Speed Combos?? Seriously whose brilliant idea was this?

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
EDGE review sucks too I read it in the bookshop.

Btw john tv, My Set 調合 -> Speed Combos?? Seriously whose brilliant idea was this?
You're going to have to explain this to the rest of us Ten, because I'm completely lost.

Mafro

Suzzopher said:
You're going to double dip:lol
I wonder if your ShopTo copy will actually arrive? D:

My GAME order hasn't shipped yet, I've got a feeling I won't get it till Friday knowing them.

Tenbatsu

Mafro said:
So if I import the US version, I'll be able to play on the US servers? Interesting...
You can, tested and proven. But if Capcom ban you next time, please do not blame me.

Luigiv said:
You're going to have to explain this to the rest of us Ten, because I'm completely lost.
Its the translation for one of the menu options. It was call something like 'My Mixture Set' in the japanese version, in the US it was 'Speed Combos'?!!? I was like WTF??

Btw, no way I am able to get hold of a pal copy here in Singapore Luigiv, maybe if you imported the US one we can play together. So sorry about it :(

john tv

Tenbatsu said:
Its the translation for one of the menu options. It was call something like 'My Mixture Set' in the japanese version, in the US it was 'Speed Combos'?!!? I was like WTF??
Ahh, a lot of the menus had to fit crazy length limits and other assorted restrictions, so if anything seems odd, trust us -- we'd have fixed it if we could. To be honest, we would've preferred a nicer font, too, but we had no say in that stuff. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
john tv said:
Ahh, a lot of the menus had to fit crazy length limits and other assorted restrictions, so if anything seems odd, trust us -- we'd have fixed it if we could. To be honest, we would've preferred a nicer font, too, but we had no say in that stuff. :)

wait

you made game

?

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
Btw, no way I am able to get hold of a pal copy here in Singapore Luigiv, maybe if you imported the US one we can play together. So sorry about it :(
No need to apologise, I was only joking :lol.

Andrex said:
This might get me to buy the game if true.
All according to Keikaku.
Keikaku means plan.

Tenbatsu

Lyphen said:
I'm noticing black bars on the right side of the screen while in widescreen. Anyone else?
Its present in the US version to make the game sharper. Japanese version is full wide screen.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I was going to reserve the CC Pro Edition today in Europe and they are out of orders. Wanted tosee how good was the new CC.
At least they still have the monster hunter bust statue for the game alone edition.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So there is no way to start playing on one Wii and continue on another, right?

How does it work with the online codes... do you register an account name tied to your Wii or something?

thefro

EatChildren said:
Hopefully sales are strong. It would be a nice way to show that there's an audiance for these sorts of things on Nintendo platforms if you try harder, especially from a franchise traditionally much bigger in Japan than the rest of the world.

It's out of stock on Amazon.com, so that's a good sign.

Got about 90 minutes in last night... think I'm pretty close to opening the quest book up. I like carving and combining stuff to make items more than I thought. Game controls way better with the Classic Controller Pro than with the Wiimote + Nunchuk.

gotee12

Tenbatsu said:
I have no idea. Maybe NA people will complain that the game is blurry if its full wide screen? No clue.
Was it like this in the demo? I can't remember. The full game does look a lot better on my lcd than the demo did and the black bars aren't too wide on my tv. Easy to ignore, especially if it equals a better looking game.

Nicktals

Banned
Luigiv said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqMPggnF188#t=0m7s

It's not a malfunction, it just calibrated incorrectly because you were touching the analogue stick whist powering on the controller :| .

Dude, you need to realize that maybe this isn't the case. Because it happened to me too (the camera rotating on its own) after i got back from being away for a while. I was NOT touching any analog stick. I reached down to the floor and pressed the home button to unpause. Both controllers were laying face up.

I have a question for others who have experienced this though...Do you guys have a motion plus attached? Because this happened in red steel 2 as well, after returning from being away.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the game so far. Sticking to single player for a while. I'm about ready to capture the great jaggi. Will probably head online in the next couple days, and I'm looking forward to it!

SleazyC

I think I briefly saw this mentioned earlier in the thread but, does progress in the single player campaign translate into online play?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
SleazyC said:
I think I briefly saw this mentioned earlier in the thread but, does progress in the single player campaign translate into online play?

The quests in the online mode are different from the quests in offline mode.

Rummy Bunnz said:
This is ridiculous. I bought Endless Ocean so I could get a Wii Speak! And cuz I kinda wanted Endless Ocean. But mostly for the Wii Speak. I wonder if this is a Nintendo requirement? Bonehead implementation? A bug? It's so ridiculous, even for an online game on a Nintendo console, that I can't help but think it's a bug. I know it probably isn't, though. :(
Not a Nintendo limitation because Animal Crossing didn't work like that. Animal Crossing was also much more clear and audible.

I'll try round 2 tonight and see if it's any better. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a Wii Speak for this game though.

john tv

Seraphis Cain said:
The quests in the online mode are different from the quests in offline mode.
Items and money and stuff carry over though, so it's not like you're playing two entirely different games or anything. It's worth it to progress offline a bit before moving to online.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SleazyC said:

Consider them as two seperate campaign/hubs. They each have their own missions, town, and features, but your character's loot and money can go between them.

So I totally got this game yesterday, and looking at my schedule, I will not even be able to sniff the game until NEXT weekend. : (

My first monster hunter game!

savor100

I really want to get this game even though I have a huge backlog. The main issue that I have is that my Wii's signal sucks. I don't know if it's because its a launch unit or what but I remember my roommates' Wii was always better and never had connection problems unlike mine =/

SleazyC

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Played about 4 hours last night with a friend and had to acclimate myself to the controls, been a while since I played a Monster Hunter game. Made it to Hunter Rank 2 but I am absolutely terrible at landing blows and getting out of the way of enemy attacks. Not really feeling the Great Sword and really want to try the Long Sword but I feel like I may be shoehorned into sword + shield because I am so bad at movement for the time being.

Amneisac

Well I can say as someone on the fence who decided to get this at the last minute...

I LOVE IT! I played offline for a few hours last night and it's got a great feel to it. I like how they kept the offline hub area (village) simple and pretty intuitive because you've got enough to worry about with all of the items and how all the combining / upgrading / forging works. I think I'll like how they make it so there's no clear "best" set of gear, but I know that's going to make it a lot more difficult to get equipped. Sometimes I get lazy and just want to see the green arrow pointing up so I know I want to equip it! I still have no idea how all of the combining works, or what types of items are used for what (other than things I know upgrade weapons / armor or are used for buffs). I've gotten to where you can start doing quests in the new area, but I haven't done any yet as I want to make sure I finish all the lower level content first.

We'll see how things go when I get hit with the difficulty spike I know must be looming on the horizon, but for now it's awesome and I highly enjoy it. The controls aren't bad at all, I think most of the videos I saw were people who just suck and they're trying to use the big, slow weapons which I think must be harder for new players (I'm using SnS).

Tenbatsu

Hawkian said:
So there is no way to start playing on one Wii and continue on another, right?

How does it work with the online codes... do you register an account name tied to your Wii or something?
For the japanese its tied to the Wii shop account, for NA ver I think its to the save. Maybe you can try copying the save to another Wii thru homebrew?

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I'll try round 2 tonight and see if it's any better. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a Wii Speak for this game though.
WiiSpeak is good if you have friends to play together. It will definitely improve your teamwork and coordination.

Amneisac said:
We'll see how things go when I get hit with the difficulty spike I know must be looming on the horizon, but for now it's awesome and I highly enjoy it.
Since you're in the desert, the first difficulty spike is coming, and its certainly not an easy one.

Tenbatsu said:
WiiSpeak is good if you have friends to play together. It will definitely improve your teamwork and coordination.
No I have a Wii Speak, I got it with Animal Crossing.

What I'm trying to say is the way it's implemented and the quality of it in MH3 (based off last night) is so abysmal that if I had purchased a Wii Speak for this game I would be really angry.

I'm already looking up how long an extended audio cable would be for my PC's microphone for Skype.

Oxx

Damnit. Zavvi haven't started to do anything with my order.

Even though I will heed everybody's advice and play quite a bit of single-player before jumping online and despite the fact that I'll be on the (potentially) quieter Euro zone, I'm still annoyed.

Suzzopher

Oxx said:
Damnit. Zavvi haven't started to do anything with my order.

Even though I will heed everybody's advice and play quite a bit of single-player before jumping online and despite the fact that I'll be on the (potentially) quieter Euro zone, I'm still annoyed.

You're alive!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
surprised to see this is a 12+ in the UK. How violent/graphic is it? the PSP version doesn't seem to be bloody at all.

Was considering it for my son's 9th birthday. I have no problem ignoring ratings if I don't think they are appropriate, but I don't know enough about this game so need some help.

VAIL

mrklaw said:
surprised to see this is a 12+ in the UK. How violent/graphic is it? the PSP version doesn't seem to be bloody at all.

Was considering it for my son's 9th birthday. I have no problem ignoring ratings if I don't think they are appropriate, but I don't know enough about this game so need some help.

You beat up dinosaurs...and you can turn off the blood

What kid wouldn't like that?

john tv

mrklaw said:

It's a little bloody but there's an option to tone it down. It's not that cartoony, so in that sense, I can see why they made it 12+. It's pretty realistic-looking.

hiro4

YES!
Just picked mine up at the local game store.

Just a quick question, the code to get the Qurupeco statue, is that just the Club Nintendo code?
Or is their another code somewhere hidden that I overlooked?
Seems quite error prone.

Pietepiet

hiro4 said:
Just a quick question, the code to get the Qurupeco statue, is that just the Club Nintendo code?
Or is their another code somewhere hidden that I overlooked?
Seems quite error prone.

I've been wondering the same thing. Can't find any code in my box, and I just registered my Club Nintendo code and got nothing besides the usual star points for that either :S

FootNinja said:
what's your point? The camera was spinning due to a malfunction, and when I would go against the spinning the camera would stop moving. So every time I went to attack the monster we would be back to spinning again.

Were you under the impression that this was my doing? The controller was acting on its own.

I have a similar problem with the nunchuck. The camera doesn't get loopy but the character will move forward on its own. I don't know if it's a problem specific to that remote or 'chuck but it acts up if the connecting cord has been pulled on. Unplug - replug fixes the problem immediately.

hiro4

Pietepiet said:
I've been wondering the same thing. Can't find any code in my box, and I just registered my Club Nintendo code and got nothing besides the usual star points for that either :S

Just checked the Nintendo website and it said you just have to register your code.
So I guess we did the right thing and now the only thing we can do is wait.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Yup, but I'm gonna nitpick a bit here, and not because you are so totally wrong but because yours is one of the better posts saying this sort of thing: it's more like Rune Factory is totally reminiscent of Monster Hunter.

Monster Hunter is the inspiration for most of the games people keep comparing it with. (

Just to clarify, I was not insinuating that Rune Factory inspired Monster Hunter in any way. It's just that I played Rune Factory long before I played Monster Hunter (Tri being my introduction). People typically compare things to their own prior experiences regardless of when one or the other was released. I am perfectly well aware MH is the older series. It began on the PS2 while Rune Factory debuted on the DS,

Luigiv said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqMPggnF188#t=0m7s

It's not a malfunction, it just calibrated incorrectly because you were touching the analogue stick whist powering on the controller :| .

This is not necessarily true. When my controller goes wonky, it does it in the middle of the game, not upon start up. One minute it's fine, the next my character is running ahead without my say. This especially sucks if it happens during an online Mario Kart race as my bike takes it into its head to suddenly veer off a cliff.

Luigiv

DragonGirl said:
This is not necessarily true. When my controller goes wonky, it does it in the middle of the game, not upon start up. One minute it's fine, the next my character is running ahead without my say. This especially sucks if it happens during an online Mario Kart race as my bike takes it into its head to suddenly veer off a cliff.
Must be a loose connection on your Wiimotes expansion port. Well I guess that would count as a malfunction, wouldn't it.

Top Bottom