• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

oracrest

I just bought a copy for my nephew, so I will be helping him out (he's just HR 1 now), in case any other gaffers out there are having trouble finding low level help these days.

Kyoufu

Relix said:
So I may purchase this game. I heard it's like PSO but I never managed to play that either :lol I am probably gonna buy it without the CC since I just got a new remote and nunchuk. ANything else I should know before buying it?

buy a cc pro.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Relix said:
Really? Is it that bad without it?
Trust us when we say that the CC Pro alleviates pretty much any control issue a person would have with the game. The second analog stick does absolute wonders. Get it.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Going on to the gaf server now, looking for some help with Rathalos.

I have a CC, but I use Wiimote + Nunchuck because I find holding them very comfortable.

EDIT: Oops, I typed "CC Pro" but I just have a normal CC.

Poyunch

I'm getting closer and closer to HR 50. OMG I'm almost done! I just need to get from 48 to 50 and do a couple of key quests and it'll be time for Alatreon. I hope when the time comes I'll have good group!

oracrest said:
I just bought a copy for my nephew, so I will be helping him out (he's just HR 1 now), in case any other gaffers out there are having trouble finding low level help these days.
I'd happily take a break from higher ranked monsters and helping the lower levels. Just make sure not to put a level cap. If you set it to low higher ranked players won't be able to help.

Leezard

I haven't tried a CCPro, but I have absolutely no problems with the Remote controls. As the above poster said, it is really comfortable to be able to hold your hands in whatever manner you feel like.

Mafro

I think the remote & nunchuk controls are absolutely fine. The CCP bundles seem to have people thinking that controller is essential or something. I thought the CCP controls were awful and went straight back to remote & nunchuck, I find it much, much easier controlling the camera that way with one thumb on the analogue stick of the nunchuk and the other on the d-pad of the remote.

Willy105 said:
No. It's just that the developers never bothered to add any Wii remote functionality in the game.

So it will be awkward.
Not true at all. You twist the remote left or right to perform different slashes, and you can bring out your weapon and slash by swiping the remote. You also flick the nunchuck to mine, or gather stuff if you are holding a torch.

oracrest

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - 1HYN5T - Aegryn (oracrest)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
markatisu said:
Shoot I just left, get him good this time!!

Yeah, it turns out he's a lot easier when you have 4 people :lol

Willy105 said:
No. It's just that the developers never bothered to add any Wii remote functionality in the game.

So it will be awkward.

It uses the pointer (for menu related stuff), regardless of whether you use the Classic Controller or not.

The game functions just fine on the 'mote, but the Classic Controller button arrangement (and yes, second analog stick) is more convenient. The Classic Controller Pro just has nice handle grips and better shoulder button layout.

The game doesn't need the classic controller to be perfectly playable and the gesture controls are kinda nice.

Meesh

Soneet said:
If you're worried about typing too slow, make custom predefined shouts. On the classic controller you press - - (to get the chat) and then R to get the shouts. You can change these shouts in the in-game options (3rd tab: online).
Oh. My. God. You have made my day. I had no idea you could make predefined shouts...can you save them??? Quick Question: Do shock traps work on Lagi, if not, how is he captured?

Evilink said:
Oh. My. God. You have made my day. I had no idea you could make predefined shouts...can you save them??? Quick Question: Do shock traps work on Lagi, if not, how is he captured?

yup shock traps work fine

Poyunch

Yeah that last run was just horrible for me. While I didn't die I didn't really do much in that Alatreon run. Hopefully I can redeem myself tomorrow. Now that I know it has a pretty decent weakness to water I'm going to use a weapon I have more comfort in, my Demonblind.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
PounchEnvy said:
Yeah that last run was just horrible for me. While I didn't die I didn't really do much in that Alatreon run. Hopefully I can redeem myself tomorrow. Now that I know it has a pretty decent weakness to water I'm going to use a weapon I have more comfort in, my Demonblind.
Did you got him? Im looking for an Ala group and im willing to help.

markatisu

I am online now! Looking to hunt Rathalos and other stuff

Send me a message in-game or warp to me.

NA - TYDHLQ - ISUMark (Markatisu) HR32

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

vall03

Ive been wondering about this for a while now, how would you recommend this game to someone who hasn't played any Monster Hunter games? is single-player offline good since I'm going to focus on that. I already have a basic idea on how the game works but is it really just killing monsters to get better equipments or theres more to it?

Poyunch

Lonely1 said:
Did you got him? Im looking for an Ala group and im willing to help.
No our group tried four times (I think). The first three times we lost due to deaths and the last time we just ran out of time.

markatisu

HA Eat it Rathalos, Attera and I took you down in under 40 min...what a pain in the ass that was

We are in City 2 and have 1 spot left, trying to do + stuff

tomegatherion77

Neo Member
Im not sure how many of you know this. Maybe I dont pay attention to detail, but I was having a hell of a time trying to get the 5* urgent done. I failed around 20 times with pickup groups. The last 15 or so I tries I never died once....I was getting so frustrated. So I decided to take a break, and do some solo gathering. I realized then that you can set how many people will go on the quest. I wondered if it scaled the monsters...well Im pretty sure it does. I solod 5* Bagi no problem, then I did Gobul, died once, but not so bad. So you can guess I went in solo on the urgent. and I won!
It took 41:23 to clear. I took max of every healing item I could take plus 10 herbs, b.shrooms, and honey. I had only 1 left when it was over and died twice. My gear was Diablo+ helm, and the rest Rathalos+ My Charm was 5 crit draw. My skills were heat cancel (hi), crit eye+2, Crit Draw, and Minds Eye. I used Shadowbinder LS.
Alatreon was on the ground a lot more than before with 4 people. I think this helped a lot. Im not sure if I was just lucky or what, but I wanted to let you all know in case you run into as much trouble as I had to clear it. Give it a shot, just make sure to set the number of players to 1.

ShinNL

tomegatherion77 said:
Im not sure how many of you know this. Maybe I dont pay attention to detail, but I was having a hell of a time trying to get the 5* urgent done. I failed around 20 times with pickup groups. The last 15 or so I tries I never died once....I was getting so frustrated. So I decided to take a break, and do some solo gathering. I realized then that you can set how many people will go on the quest. I wondered if it scaled the monsters...well Im pretty sure it does. I solod 5* Bagi no problem, then I did Gobul, died once, but not so bad. So you can guess I went in solo on the urgent. and I won!
It took 41:23 to clear. I took max of every healing item I could take plus 10 herbs, b.shrooms, and honey. I had only 1 left when it was over and died twice. My gear was Diablo+ helm, and the rest Rathalos+ My Charm was 5 crit draw. My skills were heat cancel (hi), crit eye+2, Crit Draw, and Minds Eye. I used Shadowbinder LS.
Alatreon was on the ground a lot more than before with 4 people. I think this helped a lot. Im not sure if I was just lucky or what, but I wanted to let you all know in case you run into as much trouble as I had to clear it. Give it a shot, just make sure to set the number of players to 1.
The fact that it doesn't scale makes your performance outstanding! I've done Alatreons with 4 people that took over 40 minutes! Impressive skill play, you can call yourself a true hunter :)

botticus

markatisu said:
HA Eat it Rathalos, Attera and I took you down in under 40 min...what a pain in the ass that was

We are in City 2 and have 1 spot left, trying to do + stuff
Sorry I bailed yesterday, Mark. Storm killed the internet and then ten minutes later cut power until 11:30pm (after blowing out a surge protector and vent fan!).

Hopefully I will have a shot at my 3* urgent tonight.

So, I was looking at various Alta sleep bombing videos and stumbled on this one: Altareon Sleep Bombing Group Tutorial

It's the best video I've seen so far. What's especially nice is that the equipment build is in the description and that equipment is reasonable (as in not calling for weapons/armor made from Alta or Joe). I'm up for farming high rank Ura this evening. :p

Kyoufu

tomegatherion77 said:
If this is true than I am one lucky bastard....

Yeah it doesn't scale, never has in any MH game. The only reason they let you define the number of participants and even designate a password is because of 10 player rooms.

Great job though, Alatreon scares the hell out of me lol.

Tenbatsu

Lance Bone Path said:
So, I was looking at various Alta sleep bombing videos and stumbled on this one: Altareon Sleep Bombing Group Tutorial

It's the best video I've seen so far. What's especially nice is that the equipment build is in the description and that equipment is reasonable (as in not calling for weapons/armor made from Alta or Joe). I'm up for farming high rank Ura this evening. :p
But you're not going to hit 45sec with that method:p

oracrest

I tried out using the cold drink with the Gigginox last night, and it did seem that he hardly ever attacked me. It seemed he would only spin around if I was in the midst of hitting him.

Also, another guy had the torch, and he got the brunt of the attacks.

top20090821.jpg

Tenbatsu said:
I could have linked to a video with a shorter completion time, but this one has tactics/equipment/skills completely laid out and doesn't require significant amount of choreography or insanely rare materials. So sorry if that's not hard-core/difficult enough for you. :p

Tenbatsu

Lance Bone Path said:
I could have linked to a video with a shorter completion time, but this one has tactics/equipment/skills completely laid out and doesn't require significant amount of choreography or insanely rare materials. So sorry if that's not hard-core/difficult for you. :p
Only joking:D

Actually you don't need that set of armor. All you need is just one (low level is fine too) with status attack up + bomber + a gun that can hold a decent amount of Lvl 2 sleep ammo. Don't forget the pyro catfood too.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ugh, I am sad I got the game so late...all the gaffers are like HR30+ and I'm HR1 :lol

I have been playing with randoms.

Tenbatsu said:
I'm curious after watching that video, what are they doing that's so different than the 45sec video?

It may be a while before I find a good group to do that with. Me and my wife try to sleep bomb him, yet despite me saying "When he sleeps we are bombing his face" like clockwork one of the other two players either wake him up by slashing away or blow up our bombs before we are done setting them.

Still very happy we managed to beat him. Deviljo is next.

I think I'm finally ready to mix/match armors. I definitely want Sharpness+1 but can’t decide what other skill(s) I want. I’m leaning towards HG earplugs which in that case I may just make a full Ceadus+ set and not mix at all lol. I already found a charm that gives to sharpness to offset the Blunt Edge.

markatisu

Y2Kev said:
Ugh, I am sad I got the game so late...all the gaffers are like HR30+ and I'm HR1 :lol

I have been playing with randoms.

You will find that a lot of GAF will help you get up there (just post when you are online), if you are on at nights I can help you because I seriously need a break from the + monsters

For me HR1-18 was easy, it was 18-31 that was a true pain in the ass to do. I cannot even imagine what 31-50+ is like

Its almost eyerolling how you have to bust your ass to get past HR31 only to find out the game basically starts over since you have to refarm virtually everything

Haunted

tomegatherion77 said:
:bow

markatisu said:
You will find that a lot of GAF will help you get up there (just post when you are online), if you are on at nights I can help you because I seriously need a break from the + monsters

For me HR1-18 was easy, it was 18-31 that was a true pain in the ass to do. I cannot even imagine what 31-50+ is like

Its almost eyerolling how you have to bust your ass to get past HR31 only to find out the game basically starts over since you have to refarm virtually everything
Oh man, if you thought 18-31 already was a pain in the ass, I don't really know what to tell you. :lol

Tenbatsu said:
Only joking:D

Actually you don't need that set of armor. All you need is just one (low level is fine too) with status attack up + bomber + a gun that can hold a decent amount of Lvl 2 sleep ammo. Don't forget the pyro catfood too.
I haven't gunned much in Tri, but my recollection from Unite is that status shots, particularly the level 2 shots, have massive amounts of recoil that will mess with your rate of fire.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I'm curious after watching that video, what are they doing that's so different than the 45sec video?

45 second alta

If you thought that finding people who understand the concept of sleepbombing difficult, the thought of assembling a group to attempt the 45 second bombing will probably hurt much more. :p

markatisu

Haunted said:
Oh man, if you thought 18-31 already was a pain in the ass, I don't really know what to tell you. :lol

Oh I believe it, after basically getting my ass handed to me while hunting by Joe and a Peco+ I was told "Welcome to the High Ranks" :lol

But what I was referring to was not a pain in the ass in the sense it was hard, but finding people who were between that level to do stuff with was damn near impossible.

I would say 75-90% of my HR18-31 stuff was done only when people like Lance BP, Mars, or some other ridiculously high GAF members were online

Tenbatsu

Lance Bone Path said:
I haven't gunned much in Tri, but my recollection from Unite is that status shots, particularly the level 2 shots, have massive amounts of recoil that will mess with your rate of fire.
But with 4 players firing lvl 2 sleep, the recoil is not much of a problem. You can also equip recoil down skill to counter it.

botticus

markatisu said:
Oh I believe it, after basically getting my ass handed to me while hunting by Joe and a Peco+ I was told "Welcome to the High Ranks" :lol

But what I was referring to was not a pain in the ass in the sense it was hard, but finding people who were between that level to do stuff with was damn near impossible.

I would say 75-90% of my HR18-31 stuff was done only when people like Lance BP, Mars, or some other ridiculously high GAF members were online
I had pretty decent luck finding people in the 20s for a lot of my stuff, and occasionally those 30-40. But honestly, it just goes a lot quicker when you're hunting with HR60+ people instead. :lol

Tenbatsu said:
But with 4 players firing lvl 2 sleep, the recoil is not much of a problem. You can also equip recoil down skill to counter it.
Well, now you're nitpicking. :D That video with description is an actionable plan.

Saying things like oh you could change this and that and still get by would be well and good if you had something to share like a video with an even cheaper/easier set-up, but it sounds like we're doing the "not hard-core enough" thing again by pushing up player skill requirements by lowering the relative ease of use of the equipment.

Top Bottom