• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Haunted

DragonGirl said:
Then what's the point of setting the number of players? A holdover from 10 player rooms I assume?
Seems like it.

The game would've been even better with 10 player rooms. JP version superior confirmed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kyoufu said:
Already said this a page or two ago but no, there is no scaling. Quests are designed for 4 players.
DragonGirl said:
Then what's the point of setting the number of players? A holdover from 10 player rooms I assume?

That's why I asked. Doesn't make a ton of sense.

Korigama

Taking down Barroth so quickly with a Spiral Lance is a beautiful thing. I would be more pissed about failing the first Rathalos hunt through time over if not for making off with two Rathalos Tails (one from my carve, and one from Cha-Cha's).

Y2Kev said:
That's why I asked. Doesn't make a ton of sense.
when the qurupeco did its call at first i was like "wait it's been like a month, is that a r-" then i realized it was a ludroth

then i realized that you probably hadn't fought a ludroth before since you were a wee babby who just took down a qurupeco in single player

although honestly i was kinda hoping for a rathian, there's a good chance of them spawning during that quest, they're fun and easy to fight but they eat hr1 babbies (like u) for breakfast

Alex

I wish they'd put out a big world map of Monster Hunter, I have the art books which have region maps but the games always take place in different parts of the world and I think that's really neat. Chacha is from the original's area, the event's prototype Gunlance eludes to MH2, the captain is from Freedom 3 expansion region, etc.

Then what's the point of setting the number of players?

You don't need four people to do anything except Jhen and Alt (and only because that fucker will fly forever), some people want to play 2-op or 3-op, I personally don't like 4-op unless it's absolutely required or on some health tank boss like Jhen or Lao or Gaoren.

Captured him yesterday. I did die once but honestly I find Alatreon waaaaaaay scarier.

Ala can be scary old Elder Dragon style, he will chain shit that can just destroy your ass if you aren't really careful. Two hit KO combo through maxed Jhen+ armor and 150 hp, go! Deviljho doesn't really have any good combos and he's pretty easy to wail on, so I completelty agree.

His music is rad as hell though.

I maxed everything I could ever want in Tri recently, so I'm back on Freedom "never ending" Unite, and while I am so happy to have my Bows and guns back I want a controller :lol

Capcom usually has all these little niche and thoughtful options, they should put advanced control support in for PSP Go's Dual Shock 3 out for Freedom 3. I swear I'd probably buy a Go just for that with as much MH I play

Poyunch

Hey I'm online now. I'm down for anything at the moment. On the typical NA GAF place. I'm in City 1. I have an advanced Barioth quest at the moment if anyone's interested.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thank EmCee-sensei, who has imparted unto me the knowledge of the Four Wudu. And Lynn...I don't know who you are on GAF (if you are on GAF), but it was fun :)

shahkur

Shout out to Shin, Disgyses, Captain Bosch, Cube, Selenae, Josh, Aqib(?) and later on, Neo C.

Marvellous hunting. Funny when I got Bosch with a feline bomb and someone asked what the status icon near his name was :lol. Also funny how a few of you tried getting Aqib to leave as he was too low to join our quest.:lol Can't believe I played the game for 6-7 hours straight. Time just flies by. I'm HR 27 at the moment and done all 3* quests. Just have to griiiiiind. There are 2 VERY pain in the ass materials that I've tried like 20 times to get. Rathian Plate and Jumbo Pearl, why wont it just give them to me? Damn!

My impressions of the game so far, like anyone cares at this point. Not been addicted to a game like this since probably the original Pokemon Gold. What makes it so addicting? I'll never know, it just is. The monsters are really something else, my favourite being Diablos so far, as he's got the best moveset, he's pretty big, and got a deadly design.

But what I dont get about the game is that the monsters are mainly the same in that they basically have the same moves. I mean, they all have a rush/charge attack, and a tail whip, so I wish they could have been a lot more different like Jhen Moron.

Other than that, been loving every second of it, played 60+ hours, not even gotten past 2* offline :lol. So, I say it is GOTY for me iso far, if SMG2 doesn't surpass it as I have yet to play that. Good going Capcom, I never got into Freedom 1 on PSP, as I found a lot of issues in that game, how hard it was, the camera, the PSP stick etc. But this game is on a whole nother level for me, and I'm looking forward to completing it, however long that takes. :D

Poyunch

botticus said:
So should I expect to deal with more high-intensity assholes now that I'm in high-rank, or is it just in the Jhen quest?
Just one. ;)

edit: Dced due to inactivity. Oh well maybe later.

Ridley327

botticus said:
I was actually referring to the hunters. :lol

I'm still not sure what it is about Jhen that attracts so many dumbasses who won't listen to instructions; successfully repelling it is really easy if you know when to use the items at the right time, and yet they'll be doing everything wrong and before you know it, the Dragonship gets wrecked.

Maybe this forced break from the game will do me a bit of good.

shahkur

^ Trust me, I've done that at least 10 times, even with the Red Coral stone quest as it gives more gathering spots. But to no luck. :(

botticus

Ridley327 said:
I'm still not sure what it is about Jhen that attracts so many dumbasses who won't listen to instructions; successfully repelling it is really easy if you know when to use the items at the right time, and yet they'll be doing everything wrong and before you know it, the Dragonship gets wrecked.

Maybe this forced break from the game will do me a bit of good.
In this case I was the one who fucked up the repel, but the nameless one (in case he's a gaffer) was barking out instructions that would probably be clear to people who have done it a dozen times, but since I've been on the ship all of twice, I don't know where the fuck anything is except for the cannon and ballista. If something important needs to be done, either do it yourself or tell someone how to do it.

I don't mind just doing cannon for 30 minutes, but if no one explains the rest of it, that's all they can expect me to do.

oracrest said:
I uploaded all of my Monster Hunter images. I may have a few more on other computers, but.....

ENJOY!!!

4639756.jpg

I miss Khezu!!!! (Also HH and kut ku)

Ridley327

botticus said:
In this case I was the one who fucked up the repel, but the nameless one (in case he's a gaffer) was barking out instructions that would probably be clear to people who have done it a dozen times, but since I've been on the ship all of twice, I don't know where the fuck anything is except for the cannon and ballista. If something important needs to be done, either do it yourself or tell someone how to do it.

I don't mind just doing cannon for 30 minutes, but if no one explains the rest of it, that's all they can expect me to do.

No worries; when I helped out in the actual urgent quest the first time through, I had no idea what to do in the second half. Thankfully, a lot of the same principles apply and, to be fair, you weren't doing a bad thing by staying on the cannon. When the time finally came for me to him for my urgent, my crew and myself were a well-oiled machine that managed to kill him (twice even, since we had another player do his urgent afterward).

Killing Jhen is definitely a great accomplishment and I recommend anyone to go for it when he rolls up into town again.

oracrest

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - 1HYN5T - Aegryn (oracrest)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Tenbatsu

Lance Bone Path said:
Let's see:
Rheno, giggi, and ingot armors aren't bad as far as materials go. That's pretty good so far.

Blast Earring --- Great Jaggi Coin x6, Qurupeco Coin x6, Barroth Coin x4

:lol

Okay, I'm going to nit pick. My opinion is that requiring off-line only materials puts it outside the "easy to achieve" when most people probably want to maximize their online playing time.

I think it works like that in the guild hall, or at least it does in the guild hall in Unite/Freedom 2.
You can get those coins online when the arena quests are available and they are pretty easy. Anw it's just one of the 9999+ combination available for that skills set. With charm assist, you can remove those hi lvl armor and replace with low level ones.

markatisu

botticus said:

Preaching to the Choir dude, the team I was with was pretty understanding but seriously I think some of the High Rank players need to realize that the Jhen event is not self explanatory nor is there a tutorial.

Most people here will not know wtf they are doing on the boat until they have done it a few times, so there needs to be some patience till the person learns "oh this is how the cannon works", etc

It is such an odd quest compared to everything else you do in the game

dsister44

with the end of exams im free for much more monster hunter. Do any of you fellow palgaf hunters know what time GMT you will be on tommorow?

botticus

Thanks a bunch, Khory and Syfin - killed a few Jhens, got someone else up to high rank, and then we all joined Mars to take out my first high-rank monster. I think Barroth was easier there than he is at low-rank. :lol

L00P

Thanks to Uragaan's seemingly indestructible chin, I have learned to appreciate the beauty of barrel bombs:lol

And bounce bombs, man! So freakin' useful when monsters try to fly away. Why didn't I use these things before?!:lol

Kyoufu

botticus said:
Thanks a bunch, Khory and Syfin - killed a few Jhens, got someone else up to high rank, and then we all joined Mars to take out my first high-rank monster. I think Barroth was easier there than he is at low-rank. :lol

Pretty much all of the monsters are easier at high rank because you have better sharpness, armour and items.

Love me some bounce bombs. They're so fast to launch I like standing under a stunned monster and just fire away at its belly or chin.

Poyunch

Man I'm going to give up my Sense Charm for a Wide Range Charm for Alatreon. Now it might actually attack me. :lol Taking one for the team.

Boney

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Online or offline? That's fucking impressive!:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvamjkn8p9w

Online, had a random partner and first try we did 4:49, and we got around that area a lot of times. Then we started dragging past the 6 mins. Both got pissed and said, ok now we do it. 3 minutes later bam. Couldn't believe it at first :lol

EDIT: I just realized if Tenbatsu says it's impressive, oh my god!!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mark, you there?

Join room 2 for great and powerful success.

Damn, killing Jhen is fun! Thank Aterra, Znarf, smu..

Leezard

So I just had my first fight against Alatreon. Kinda awful, I died twice, causing us to fail the quest. :/ We got his tail though, and I carved an Azure Dragongem on my first carve! How awesome is that! :D

markatisu

Hawkian said:
Mark, you there?

Join room 2 for great and powerful success.

Damn, killing Jhen is fun! Thank Aterra, Znarf, smu..

Maybe next time, I think your room was full when I popped online so I joined some other high rank hunters to do Cold Call and Urugaan hunts.

Cold Call was pretty awesome and almost netted me enough stuff for Tenebra on the first try!

And I came to a conclusion last night, I do not care what I am wearing or what I have for weapons. Barioth will still make me its bitch somehow, every freaking time I get KO'd by either its belly flop, tail whip, or just because I am in the same zone.

Mafro

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - B1GT8N - Mafro (Mafro)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Leezard said:
So I just had my first fight against Alatreon. Kinda awful, I died twice, causing us to fail the quest. :/ We got his tail though, and I carved an Azure Dragongem on my first carve! How awesome is that! :D
You didn't fail my freind, consider that a victory

I'm still trying to decide on what skill I want to accompany Sharpness+1. Originally I was considering HG Earplugs but screams don't happen that often and when they do rarley ever does it get me in trouble. I was thinking about getting Minds Eye but as I think it over I don't think it will be that useful, I only ever bounce on monsters like Uragaan and Agkantor.

The full Deviljo set can be easily jeweled for Attack Up (L) but I hate to think that's the best I can do skill set wise. Does anyone have any skill suggestions?

botticus

Can you eventually upgrade your low-rank armor to high-rank armor, rather than forging it from scratch? The blacksmith was babbling some nonsense about upgrading with monster parts rather than spheres, but I didn't know if that was what he was talking about.

And if so, does it require fewer materials?

Ridley327

Sadly, no, and it's probably the single biggest oversight that the game has against it.

What the smithy is referring to is that armor can be upgraded to the point where they change rarity and gain a few more defense points, but it's not really worth it since high rank armor offers the same kind of protection at earlier levels and you end up getting an extra skill or two out of them.

That aspect is something I hope gets figured out in a potential MH3G since it doesn't make a lot of sense to literally start over with your armor when they already have a system in place where that wouldn't have to be the case.

selig

Banned
Leezard said:

Yeah, well ...
just kidding :p

Tenbatsu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
I'm still trying to decide on what skill I want to accompany Sharpness+1. Originally I was considering HG Earplugs but screams don't happen that often and when they do rarley ever does it get me in trouble. I was thinking about getting Minds Eye but as I think it over I don't think it will be that useful, I only ever bounce on monsters like Uragaan and Agkantor.

The full Deviljo set can be easily jeweled for Attack Up (L) but I hate to think that's the best I can do skill set wise. Does anyone have any skill suggestions?
What is your playing style and what weapon are you using mainly?

Ridley327 said:
Sadly, no, and it's probably the single biggest oversight that the game has against it.
Edit: In general, G armors are more versatile for mixing and matching, whereas non G ones are not. The game give you the option to upgrade your non G armor in the event that you have problem getting the material for the G version. Plus the requirement to upgrade is not as demanding as compared to making the G version. Reason that G armors are pretty hard to make is that Capcom wanted players to mix their armor rather than going for the full set.

botticus

Ridley327 said:

What the smithy is referring to is that armor can be upgraded to the point where they change rarity and gain a few more defense points, but it's not really worth it since high rank armor offers the same kind of protection at earlier levels and you end up getting an extra skill or two out of them.

That aspect is something I hope gets figured out in a potential MH3G since it doesn't make a lot of sense to literally start over with your armor when they already have a system in place where that wouldn't have to be the case.
Well that's a bummer. I guess I'm glad I didn't use too many armor spheres yet.

kinggroin

Banned
Wait, jhen is back?

Is the HR limit still 27?

^^^^

I'm personally not worried about using the armour spheres I get atm. Thetre's so many of them in the volcano areas, that I figure ahving the extra defense to help me get to a higher HR now, is worth having to work a little harder once I do get the higher rank armour.

Leezard

selig said:
Yeah, well ...
just kidding :p
To be fair, my second death was due to me getting greedy and trying to carve the tail another time after getting the gem. :lol We did it once more though, and I didn't die once. Too bad you have to be the one to initiate the quest to get it cleared. :/
I got some ElderDragonBlood at least :D

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
You didn't fail my freind, consider that a victory

Indeed, it feels awesome. :D

evangd007

botticus said:
Well that's a bummer. I guess I'm glad I didn't use too many armor spheres yet.

The advantage of upgrading the low rank armor is that it does not require the rare mats that the + versions need. So if you are having trouble tracking down that Rathian Ruby you can instead upgrade your Rathian helm and it's almost just as good.

Top Bottom