• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Leezard

Evilink said:
hmmmm...my problem is getting in a group altogether, I don't have Wii speak and I'm a slooooooooooooow typer, everyone's gone by the time I've said hello. Maybe I'll finish the game offline before I do too much more online...bah, I dunno...I love collecting so the only way to complete shit is to go online...gaf, what's a MH n00b to do????????????????
You don't need to talk, just go join a group in their quest.

botticus

Sorry to the guys I was playing with this afternoon/evening. I think my wife was on a mission to keep me from playing more than one quest without interruption. :lol At least I was able to help with a couple Lagis.

I'll be back on around 9 EST. I'll probably help my friend with some 1* and 2* stuff, but if I have more time, I'll be looking for help with Gigginox and Uragaan, and then probably Jhen.

Is there a resource anywhere that lists the actual skill points on each piece of armor? The only thing I see on the wiki is what skills you get from each full set.

Leezard

botticus said:
Sorry to the guys I was playing with this afternoon/evening. I think my wife was on a mission to keep me from playing more than one quest without interruption. :lol At least I was able to help with a couple Lagis.

I'll be back on around 9 EST. I'll probably help my friend with some 1* and 2* stuff, but if I have more time, I'll be looking for help with Gigginox and Uragaan, and then probably Jhen.

Is there a resource anywhere that lists the actual skill points on each piece of armor? The only thing I see on the wiki is what skills you get from each full set.
Here.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Armor_Skill_Points

ShinNL

Evilink said:
hmmmm...my problem is getting in a group altogether, I don't have Wii speak and I'm a slooooooooooooow typer, everyone's gone by the time I've said hello. Maybe I'll finish the game offline before I do too much more online...bah, I dunno...I love collecting so the only way to complete shit is to go online...gaf, what's a MH n00b to do????????????????
If you're worried about typing too slow, make custom predefined shouts. On the classic controller you press - - (to get the chat) and then R to get the shouts. You can change these shouts in the in-game options (3rd tab: online). I recommend you get at least these shouts:

"Hi, no keyboard so I type slow."
"Well done!"
"Ready for capture!"
"Yes"
"No"
"Hold on... typing something..."
"Come to me."
"Good hunt!"
"Ouch, you keep hitting me..." (use for both monster & teammates)

botticus

Soneet said:
If you're worried about typing too slow, make custom predefined shouts. On the classic controller you press - - (to get the chat) and then R to get the shouts. You can change these shouts in the in-game options (3rd tab: online). I recommend you get at least these shouts:
This reminds me, I was trying to figure out the button to use for private chat messages. Unfortunately I think everyone else is using the CCP, so I can't get any solid info for doing s with the remote.

Mafro

Disconnected TWICE while doing my 3* urgent quest. No problems doing it just before to help some guy.

Fucking livid. Fuck that bullshit.

ShinNL

botticus said:
This reminds me, I was trying to figure out the button to use for private chat messages. Unfortunately I think everyone else is using the CCP, so I can't get any solid info for doing s with the remote.
It's probably 2 2 and then something for the Wii remote. Maybe Z or B.

dsister44

cheers faust and bosch :D that was a really good session tonight. Cant believe that just as the hr requirement for rnak up start getting higher and higher, the points you are rewared with go DOWN! I thought id be clever and stick with the high reward 3* quests, only to find that your points reward is now getting reduced!

the grind up to 40 is going to be a long one, although the monster dont seem nearly as hard to defeat as I thought they would be

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
MickeyKnox said:
Bah, the only reason to go offline is to manage your farm for shit you can't buy. If you want to lay off the village quests you might as well.

Ehhh, it's also good for farming low level monsters for stuff. Also, money.

Tenbatsu

Soneet said:
Thanks for your reply. I actually understood that post :lol it's just that I'm a perfectionist and say I have a fastdraw+5 charm and start making a perfect set for it, only to find a fastdraw+7 later on or something. Wouldn't it be annoying if you had to remake the whole set again (to get just that 1 extra skill thanks to the new charm)? Or doesn't this happen often enough to worry about (so plenty of time to enjoy the freshly made armorset)?
It depends on luck really. I wanted a charm with evade +7 for the japanese ver but after 700hrs I never even get one so I couldn't care less and settle for another armor combination instead. Try to be versatile in your armor combination. My experienced hunting buddy had like 10 over clever combinations at HR30 for different situation and playing style. He is a better armor planner than me.

The best quest to farm for charms is 'Roll the Uroktor'.

Alright guys, I'm a bit discouraged.

I'm HR 50 and ready for my Altereon urgent. After about 20 minutes of searching for a group I finally hook up with 4 other HR50 guys. I do the quest for the first time with them and holy crap...... He ran me out of all my Herbs, Potions, Mega Potions, Max Potions, Ancient Potion, and managed to kill me once. One of the other party members died twice and we lost.

Perhaps it's my Barioth+ armor and it's negative fire resistance, who knows. I don't get hit much by his fire shot, it's that damn insta-turn-slap that ruins me.

I have never felt so defeated in MH before. After we tried it once more I really questioned if I have the skill level to take this guy down. Is it normal for this guy to make you feel this way?

I guess my biggest worry is that I want to learn how to do him properly with my LS, but when playing with random people I am always so self-conscious about my performance. I don't want to feel like I'm a dead weight to a team of people that know what they are doing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm just learning LS. Man does it own for SP, but I can see how it'd take considerably more skill to use in a crowd.

Boney

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Alright guys, I'm a bit discouraged.

I'm HR 50 and ready for my Altereon urgent. After about 20 minutes of searching for a group I finally hook up with 4 other HR50 guys. I do the quest for the first time with them and holy crap...... He ran me out of all my Herbs, Potions, Mega Potions, Max Potions, Ancient Potion, and managed to kill me once. One of the other party members died twice and we lost.

Perhaps it's my Barioth+ armor and it's negative fire resistance, who knows. I don't get hit much by his fire shot, it's that damn insta-turn-slap that ruins me.

I have never felt so defeated in MH before. After we tried it once more I really questioned if I have the skill level to take this guy down. Is it normal for this guy to make you feel this way?

I guess my biggest worry is that I want to learn how to do him properly with my LS, but when playing with random people I am always so self-conscious about my performance. I don't want to feel like I'm a dead weight to a team of people that know what they are doing.
Playing with a non blocking weapon does make the fight considerably more difficult. My guess would be to try staying behind it, and well, get away before he does his bitch slap, sometimes it's better to miss out on some attacks.

Also, count on your team's lifepowders ;)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hmm, well, I just did the capture Great Jaggi quest and I've played exclusively offline. Should I just transition to online?

Boney

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Hmm, well, I just did the capture Great Jaggi quest and I've played exclusively offline. Should I just transition to online?
If you like, GAF servers probably won't give you crap, although I don't think there are HR1 hanging around. I didn't jump in until I beat Lagiacrus, but Jaggi might still be a bit to early. Since you'll ruin some monsters.
Well if you jump in, give me a call, I'm ACE and I'll gladly help.

EDIT: I jumped in WAY too late.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Y2Kev said:

I'd say at least get an armor set and a decent weapon.

Edit: Because if you can grind out a set yourself, you can get through 2star or 3star quests fairly easily.

Poyunch

Wow I didn't think it would be possible to farm enough mats in a day to make most of the armor for a set. Goodbye Barroth+ set you were good for a temp set but now I can start using Rathalos+ until I can actually make the custom set I want.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Boney said:
If you like, GAF servers probably won't give you crap, although I don't think there are HR1 hanging around. I didn't jump in until I beat Lagiacrus, but Jaggi might still be a bit to early. Since you'll ruin some monsters.
Well if you jump in, give me a call, I'm ACE and I'll gladly help.

EDIT: I jumped in WAY too late.
Well, will I need help? Are the quests more difficult or something? I thought they were just the same quests with the possibility to scale to multiple players.

I've only once played any Mohun with another person. I feel like I've always been missing something.

Poyunch

Boney said:
Playing with a non blocking weapon does make the fight considerably more difficult. My guess would be to try staying behind it, and well, get away before he does his bitch slap, sometimes it's better to miss out on some attacks.

Also, count on your team's lifepowders ;)
Well that's going to be a problem as a SA user. I guess it's time to get back to ol' SnS for this mission. I guess I'll go back to being a support user online with my Great Baggi SnS. Or is it possible get a Jho Gem before Alatreon?

Boney

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Well, will I need help? Are the quests more difficult or something? I thought they were just the same quests with the possibility to scale to multiple players.

I've only once played any Mohun with another person. I feel like I've always been missing something.
Well monsters are buffed up and tailored around 4 people, it doesn't matter if it's just 1 doing the quest. So you'll definately need help.

PounchEnvy said:
Well that's going to be a problem as a SA user. I guess it's time to get back to ol' SnS for this mission. I guess I'll go back to being a support user online with my Great Baggi SnS. Or is it possible get a Jho Gem before Alatreon?
You can get Joe gems before that since he appears in almost every high rank mission. Although I still haven't gotten one so don't count on it.
But try to do it with the SA, it must be really fulfilling. Even today we helped Mars and he used a LS and we beat it first try. Just get a good group and you'll be fine. It's way more fun to do this stuff with people who are just as clueless as you though :lol

EDIT: Disconected guys, don't think I´m bitter because a Barroth killed us.

Poyunch

Boney said:
Well monsters are buffed up and tailored around 4 people, it doesn't matter if it's just 1 doing the quest. So you'll definately need help.

You can get Joe gems before that since he appears in almost every high rank mission. Although I still haven't gotten one so don't count on it.
But try to do it with the SA, it must be really fulfilling. Even today we helped Mars and he used a LS and we beat it first try. Just get a good group and you'll be fine. It's way more fun to do this stuff with people who are just as clueless as you though :lol

EDIT: Disconected guys, don't think I´m bitter because a Barroth killed us.
Haha hopefully I get lucky when that time comes.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Haha hopefully I get lucky when that time comes.
Well I have like the worst luck in this game ever. I still need on god damn Rathalos Plate, and have like 6 rubies wasting because I don't need them.
Bah.. freakin desire sensor!

Poyunch

Boney said:
Well I have like the worst luck in this game ever. I still need on god damn Rathalos Plate, and have like 6 rubies wasting because I don't need them.
Bah.. freakin desire sensor!
You should've been on earlier. I had a room for farming Rathalos today.

Remfin

Hawkian said:
As much as I love fighting completely alone.. where is my Cha-Cha? :[
Keep doing quests and he'll come back. Luckily you don't have to do the Lagi quest (pain in the butt when you're solo and have his full attention), I did all the other quests and he came back.

Dreavus

That reminds me. When I first encountered Cha-cha I remember wondering "so, where is the downside? This guy just takes free hits for me?". Then I see him gathering items sometimes and think "Oh, ok, so he takes items sometimes as a form of payment. I can deal with that". And then I find out even later that you can just talk to him and he'll give you everything he has collected. :lol

That little dude is awesome.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pretty unfortunate that my period of learning the longsword and playing offline only for a while coincides with his disappearance. Fuck this powderstone quest... "You have dropped the powderstone. You have fainted." Joy...

Wow, I want to know who thought it was a good idea to put this quest in a game about hunting monsters.

Anyone want to share the "trick" to it, pretty please? I just want my cha-cha back so I can move on with my life. :-[

Boney

Banned
Hawkian said:
Pretty unfortunate that my period of learning the longsword and playing offline only for a while coincides with his disappearance. Fuck this powderstone quest... "You have dropped the powderstone. You have fainted." Joy...

Wow, I want to know who thought it was a good idea to put this quest in a game about hunting monsters.

Anyone want to share the "trick" to it, pretty please? I just want my cha-cha back so I can move on with my life. :-[
Transporter would help a lot, but just having 140 base hp will suffice. Felyne Lander too I guess.

Hawkian said:

With 150 health and megadash juice (or something, the one that lets you run without depleting stamina), you can make it to the finish line with about a 1/4 of your health left. Maybe there's some fire resist that helps as well? But just 150 health+no stamina loss should be enough to do it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's doable with 140 health and no special items or skills, but it's not easy (or fun). By far the biggest danger is getting hit on the way back... Altaroth, Rhenoplos, Uraktor, and oh look, and Uragaan... Took 6 tries.

Gotta call it a night unfortunately... Tonight on monster hunter, I forged a long sword from the shredded wings of dragons, killed a great dinosaur and a deceitful wyvern with it, and then spent two hours carrying hot rocks toward a box. :'(

Tenbatsu

^
You should really try out the egg carrying mission for the original monster hunter, its a freaking nightmare:lol

Egg carrying in MH3 is way too easy.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
^
You should really try out the egg carrying mission for the original monster hunter, its a freaking nightmare:lol

Egg carrying in MH3 is way too easy.
Yeah, the mellower enemies in Tri makes it so much easier. Speaking of which I need to try another one of those sometime to test out my Transporter +10 talisman. Coincidentally enough I got it by mining a charm during the powderstone mission. Talk about the perfect reward.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder if anyone can beat that in terms of lucky events in this game.

What does that skill even do? I wasn't going to forge a new armor just for this mission...

Poyunch

Hawkian said:

What does that skill even do? I wasn't going to forge a new armor just for this mission...
Transporter? It makes you run faster when carrying eggs and powderstones. It's really noticeable too. It's not that fast but I always wear the Loc Lac gear for these missions and I didn't wear them once and I was really surprised how much I missed the gear. The boots do look really comfy I can see why you can move faster in them.

Boney said:
Agh no more please.. why do you hate me so
I think I got a plate as well. :lol

Poyunch

Anyway I'm probably going to do some more Rathalos farming tomorrow. I'm almost done with the set. I just need some Carapaces.

Hawkian said:

Buying a hunter set (for the autotracker skill) and gemming in transporter is another way to go.

Mafro

Hawkian said:

Urgh, just realised my Cha-Cha has vanished with this quest to do -_-

Any EU hunters around this afternoon to help me with my 3* urgent? Hopefully I'll be able do do it without the servers shitting themselves this time.

Top Bottom