• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

John TV, I think you just played with my wife, her character is Naoko. Barioth set SA user.

Just did Altereon and carved a Gem. Now all I need are 2 Skypiercers to make Dark Claw "Demise".

But getting the skypericers seems like a harder task than getting the gem. I assume you have to break both of his horns to even have a chance at it. I've only managed to break one and that was after three sessions of all 4 players L+ bombing his face while asleep.

I don't know if I am going to be able to find the coordination to break both horns in a random group. I feel bad because I have no clue how to play gunner and therefore don't actually contribute to sleeping him. If anyone here wants to try for some skypeircers just let me know. :)

john tv

Rune - ah awesome, her and the other player dc'ed out of nowhere, then got back in and two mins later I dc'ed. Game wasn't meant to be. :) Tell her thanks for playing tho, heheh.

Kyoufu - couldn't even make it in the first quest and already dc'ed, so I gave up. ISP guy is coming tomorrow. Hopefully for him he comes when I'm not around or he may not leave alive.

Have fun! Hope to be back tomorrow. ;p

john tv

Remfin said:
I keep trying to, but I mostly end up staring at 4/4 rooms or being in an empty one. This online system is so frustrating.
Yeah, in hindsight I wish they never bothered with voice chat and just kept the 10 person rooms. It's such a drag having four-person rooms. :/

botticus

Finally got my bathycite ores after a half dozen harvest tours, so I'm just a ruby away from a full Rathian+ set. And I think I'll need to see if I can be more creative with gemming to get my Earplugs back in the interim, kind of annoying after having them so long. Wasted a lot of slots just getting rid of Demonic Blessing, but I might swap out Auto-Guard for a +3 Protection talisman to open up some slots.

Boney

Banned
botticus said:
Finally got my bathycite ores after a half dozen harvest tours, so I'm just a ruby away from a full Rathian+ set. And I think I'll need to see if I can be more creative with gemming to get my Earplugs back in the interim, kind of annoying after having them so long. Wasted a lot of slots just getting rid of Demonic Blessing, but I might swap out Auto-Guard for a +3 Protection talisman to open up some slots.
Wait, you're leaving it at -9 right? Why is it costing so many slots?
And I'd recommend dropping auto guard, you'll just start playing better without it.

dsister44

botticus said:

i also have autoguard and am going for full rathian + set. i got the rub but need 5 more bathycite ore. its so annoying when i go on a tour and get NONE. good luck with the ruby!

botticus

Boney said:
Wait, you're leaving it at -9 right? Why is it costing so many slots?
And I'd recommend dropping auto guard, you'll just start playing better without it.
I was adding in Hearing charms and those come with a -1 Protection. So at least in the interim I should be able to go with a +3 talisman and that will free up some slots to get Earplugs back.

dsister44 said:
i also have autoguard and am going for full rathian + set. i got the rub but need 5 more bathycite ore. its so annoying when i go on a tour and get NONE. good luck with the ruby!
Yeah, it took me about 6 tours to get the 6 ores, luckily 2 of them came as quest rewards.

Marcelo

Neo Member
There´s a hearing charm that adds +4 hear protection and -2 protection. Don´t recall how many slots uses, but i thinks it´s one or wouldn´t have much sense.

alright a bit miffed right now, I'm so tired of playing with random elitist kids.

I clearly must not know the "proper" way to do Altereon. I'm trying hard to get skypeircers but so far I haven't been able to complete a game without people quitting.

I just tried and one guy says "over here wall is ready". So like a good teamate I go over to him, climb the wall he's standing by, and wait. Altereon dosen't charge into it instead kinda flys over. I'm still standing on the top of it wondering if he will still get stuck and while the guy says "too late" Altereon does a dive into the wall blowing it up without getting stuck. The guy then says "F'ing noobs" and leaves the game.

The time before that we partied with a gunner who kept putting them to sleep, which was really cool of him. But then he says to me "give me sleep fish/herbs". I told him I didn't have any and he quits the game 25 minutes into the hunt, not before getting back to the city and telling me that I suck. What the hell???

I'm not sure what to do. I'm more than willing to admit if I'm doing something really wrong on Altereon but I would appreciate it if these kids would tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can improve.

botticus

Mardak said:
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MH3:_Jewel_Decoration_List

Earplug Jewel O Hearing +1 Protection -1 Rathian Webbing x2, Sunspire Jewel x1
Silencer Jewel OOO Hearing +4 Protection -2 Rathian Spike+ x1, Lazurite Jewel x3
Yeah, I saw that, don't have the materials for it quite yet. But I'll make due.

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - Q7TGUV - Botticus (botticus)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Rocking some Quru+ with Aterra and Syfin right now.

Kyoufu

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
alright a bit miffed right now, I'm so tired of playing with random elitist kids.

I clearly must not know the "proper" way to do Altereon. I'm trying hard to get skypeircers but so far I haven't been able to complete a game without people quitting.

I just tried and one guy says "over here wall is ready". So like a good teamate I go over to him, climb the wall he's standing by, and wait. Altereon dosen't charge into it instead kinda flys over. I'm still standing on the top of it wondering if he will still get stuck and while the guy says "too late" Altereon does a dive into the wall blowing it up without getting stuck. The guy then says "F'ing noobs" and leaves the game.

The time before that we partied with a gunner who kept putting them to sleep, which was really cool of him. But then he says to me "give me sleep fish/herbs". I told him I didn't have any and he quits the game 25 minutes into the hunt, not before getting back to the city and telling me that I suck. What the hell???

I'm not sure what to do. I'm more than willing to admit if I'm doing something really wrong on Altereon but I would appreciate it if these kids would tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can improve.

If you have gunners for alatreon, in the future take sleepyfish (being sold by the loc-lac dude right now) and sleep shot level 1 with you. Trade to gunner when he/she asks for it.

You don't need to climb the wall. You can just stand in front of it so he can charge into it.

If you want easy skypiercers, try and take large barrel bomb+ along with the bombardier/pyro skills.

EDIT: I wish GAFers were willing to do Alatreon runs. I don't like playing with randoms.

Boney

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Just use the <GAF server we´re doing one right now

Nicktals

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:

Couldn't agree more. I've decided to never do alatreon, unless it's with people from GAF, that I know.

If you want to do some advanced strategy, that's cool. But take the time to walk me through it (or, if you only want to do it with people who have certain skills/armor, politely tell me). Don't just start and assume everyone is on exactly the same page.

You don't really get that with other fights, which is why I typically avoid Alatreon, unless it's just a kill mission, or it's with friendly people I know from GAF who aren't jerks.

EDIT: Also, I understand that it probably helps, but do you absolutely NEED the bombardier skill to break the parts off of Ala? I've been told nicely a few times, and not as nicely a few times, that the room only wants people with bombardier, and it seems a little silly to me. If 3 of them have it, as long as the other person is loaded up with gunpowder/large barrels/scatterfish, and a good enough combo rate to not waste any, I would think that'd be plenty good.

Also, does the kitchen skill Pyro give a similar boost to bomb potency as bombardier?

tenchir

i've lost internet connection for the past two days because of some defective phone line. The technician came over to fixed it today, but it now it is just plain unstable. I can't even stay for a full mission online. I just hope it is temporary and will get my fix tomorrow.

Tenbatsu

Nicktals said:
EDIT: Also, I understand that it probably helps, but do you absolutely NEED the bombardier skill to break the parts off of Ala? I've been told nicely a few times, and not as nicely a few times, that the room only wants people with bombardier, and it seems a little silly to me. If 3 of them have it, as long as the other person is loaded up with gunpowder/large barrels/scatterfish, and a good enough combo rate to not waste any, I would think that'd be plenty good.

Also, does the kitchen skill Pyro give a similar boost to bomb potency as bombardier?
Bombardier increases bomb damage and bomb combinations are 100%. Kitchen skill Pyro do not boost bomb damage but rather results in all normal bombs to become G version. So both are pretty crucial skills if you want to use bombs.

You can use the food voucher to treat all friends to enable the whole party to have the same skills.

Nicktals

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Bombardier increases bomb damage and bomb combinations are 100%. Kitchen skill Pyro do not boost bomb damage but rather results in all normal bombs to become G version. So both are pretty crucial skills if you want to use bombs.

You can use the food voucher to treat all friends to enable the whole party to have the same skills.

Hmm...But if all bomb combinations become 100%, then why is having regular bombs become + (pyro) all that important? I mean, is it just to save time for combining with scatterfish?

Oh, another bomb question I meant to ask: What exactly are the limits on laying bombs down at the same time? Is it 2, of any type? Or can I lay 1 large+, and 2 larges? If it is only 2 across the board, then does that include small bombs too? Or can I lay 2 large+, and 2 small+, or what?

Thanks for the support guys, today has been very frustrating and your comments do help. I just rage quit like 20 minutes ago because I couldn't take it anymore. I hit a really bad stroke of luck and got hit by some kids spear, into a fire fountain, and got agkantor lasered to death as soon as I stood up. This kid typed out "Really?" then "Stay put in base". It was like the final straw for me today. I shut it off and laid down for a bit to cool off, doesn't help that the my apartment is like an oven today :lol .

I love playing this game but on days like today the community ruins the experience. Being able to vent to you guys really helps.

I would love to coordinate some Altereon runs with you guys. We should set up a time to meet and a game plan.

Tenbatsu

Nicktals said:
Hmm...But if all bomb combinations become 100%, then why is having regular bombs become + (pyro) all that important? I mean, is it just to save time for combining with scatterfish?

Oh, another bomb question I meant to ask: What exactly are the limits on laying bombs down at the same time? Is it 2, of any type? Or can I lay 1 large+, and 2 larges? If it is only 2 across the board, then does that include small bombs too? Or can I lay 2 large+, and 2 small+, or what?
It is important as you can combine more. Combining a normal bomb is much easier than combining a G Bomb so it save time and money.

2 big at a time. Small bombs you can place as many as you can.

Boney

Banned
RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Thanks for the support guys, today has been very frustrating and your comments do help. I just rage quit like 20 minutes ago because I couldn't take it anymore. I hit a really bad stroke of luck and got hit by some kids spear, into a fire fountain, and got agkantor lasered to death as soon as I stood up. This kid typed out "Really?" then "Stay put in base". It was like the final straw for me today. I shut it off and laid down for a bit to cool off, doesn't help that the my apartment is like an oven today :lol .

I love playing this game but on days like today the community ruins the experience. Being able to vent to you guys really helps.

I would love to coordinate some Altereon runs with you guys. We should set up a time to meet and a game plan.
If it helps, it's freezing in here.

dsister44

150 hours in and im still learning

I always thought that the moga forcast told you everything the the woods.

It told me that great jaggi and rathian would be there. so i go in and kill them both. im collecting honey and about to leabe when rathalos shows I up, I ddint know what was going, then no sooner had rathalos been put down then qurupeco flies in. Is this normal, once youve killed the monsters in the moga forecast others can show up?

Ridley327

dsister44 said:
150 hours in and im still learning

I always thought that the moga forcast told you everything the the woods.

It told me that great jaggi and rathian would be there. so i go in and kill them both. im collecting honey and about to leabe when rathalos shows I up, I ddint know what was going, then no sooner had rathalos been put down then qurupeco flies in. Is this normal, once youve killed the monsters in the moga forecast others can show up?

Yeah, there's always a chance that other monsters will show up. I've actually had it happen one time I had a double Great Jaggi forecast, but I ended up bagging three Great Jaggis (one right after another!), a Qurupeco, a Rathian and a Rathalos in the same run. Feels good once you get back into the village and the hunt report rewards are through the roof. :lol :lol :lol

Kyoufu

The forecast is only the monster that the woods starts with.

When you kill a monster in moga woods, it'll despawn and another shall soon take its place.

dsister44

Ridley327 said:
Yeah, there's always a chance that other monsters will show up. I've actually had it happen one time I had a double Great Jaggi forecast, but I ended up bagging three Great Jaggis (one right after another!), a Qurupeco, a Rathian and a Rathalos in the same run. Feels good once you get back into the village and the hunt report rewards are through the roof. :lol :lol :lol

yeah I love watching all those points rack up, ive ende dup with a ridiculous amount now

Ridley327

Kyoufu said:
The forecast is only the monster that the woods starts with.

When you kill a monster in moga woods, it'll despawn and another shall soon take its place.

There's always a chance that they won't; I've noticed that when the forecast calls for Lagiacrus, they tend to not spawn any other monsters once he's been taken care of. Lagiacrus has spawned on me in other forecasts, though, so it's not a forgone conclusion.

Speaking of, I've yet to receive a Queen's Needle or a Sea-king's Scale. Stupid rare drops.

Kyoufu

Ridley327 said:
There's always a chance that they won't; I've noticed that when the forecast calls for Lagiacrus, they tend to not spawn any other monsters once he's been taken care of. Lagiacrus has spawned on me in other forecasts, though, so it's not a forgone conclusion.

Speaking of, I've yet to receive a Queen's Needle or a Sea-king's Scale. Stupid rare drops.

Have you tried capturing? I got mine that way.

Ridley327

Ooooh, good call; I don't think I've capped Lagi on my Moga runs.

That stupid goddamn giant Bhanbara never fucking shows up for me, though.

Poyunch

Ridley327 said:

Really? I remember I had ChaCha with the Fluffy Mask and I was signaling him in the hopes that he'd carve Lagi and then I noticed that there was another monster swimming in a nearby area. I was sort of bummed to deal with another Lagi but I found out it was just a R. Ludroth and R. Ludroths just kept coming and coming until I got tired of killing them. I'm not sure if Ludroth breeding has anything to do with it because outside of "Abundant Commodities" and "Herbivore Breeding" I don't really look at the text info for Moga Forecasts.

edit: And has anyone noticed a lot of randoms popping up in the GAF server recently?

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - KZRLYJ - MarkLar (Blacksalad)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
PounchEnvy said:
Really? I remember I had ChaCha with the Fluffy Mask and I was signaling him in the hopes that he'd carve Lagi and then I noticed that there was another monster swimming in a nearby area. I was sort of bummed to deal with another Lagi but I found out it was just a R. Ludroth and R. Ludroths just kept coming and coming until I got tired of killing them. I'm not sure if Ludroth breeding has anything to do with it because outside of "Abundant Commodities" and "Herbivore Breeding" I don't really look at the text info for Moga Forecasts.

edit: And has anyone noticed a lot of randoms popping up in the GAF server recently?
Not a surprise since there are so many lurkers.

oracrest

does this game still have the ESP ability? I try not to read faqs, so I don't know whats coming up in terms of armor sets and stuff, but I am curious about this one skill.

oracrest said:
does this game still have the ESP ability? I try not to read faqs, so I don't know whats coming up in terms of armor sets and stuff, but I am curious about this one skill.
I think it's called "mind's eye". The los+ armor set should have that skill built-in.

Can someone please explain me the 'bomb damage bonus'? It seems you need to explode it from afar, and if you hit directly you won't get the so called 'bonus', and... ARGH!

Please. :'(

Sammy Samusu said:
Can someone please explain me the 'bomb damage bonus'? It seems you need to explode it from afar, and if you hit directly you won't get the so called 'bonus', and... ARGH!

I havent heard of that. I know there is a damage bonus for the hit that wakes a sleeping monster so if you melee it, you might hit the monster before the bombs explode at the same time taking away the bonus from the bombs.

Ryuuga

Banned
Hi guys, I'm Alatreon. I have the ability to use every element and often mess with the forecast for my own pleasure. On clear nights you'll find me frolicking in around lava pools, playing with my tiny human friends. Sure, I get my horns stuck in walls and sometimes seize up from the amount of fun we're having, but I've yet to be bested in a tickle fight. We often play for hours on end until the little guys get tuckered out. They often fall to the ground face first and sleep for an unusual period of time; I find this quite adorable.

Gamer @ Heart said:
I havent heard of that. I know there is a damage bonus for the hit that wakes a sleeping monster so if you melee it, you might hit the monster before the bombs explode at the same time taking away the bonus from the bombs.
YES! *-*

I found out you can't hit the monster with whatever you use to explode bombs.

PS: Alatreon is going to suck tonight, oh yeah.

Ryuuga said:
Hi guys, I'm Alatreon. I have the ability to use every element and often mess with the forecast for my own pleasure. On clear nights you'll find me frolicking in around lava pools, playing with my tiny human friends. Sure, I get my horns stuck in walls and sometimes seize up from the amount of fun we're having, but I've yet to be bested in a tickle fight. We often play for hours on end until the little guys get tuckered out. They often fall to the ground face first and sleep for an unusual period of time; I find this quite adorable.
LOL

But I have to disagree, get four Gunners firing Slp S and you will see who's going to sleep for an unusual period of times.

Hint: not me. 8)

Sammy Samusu said:

Sleeping monsters take a 2x, in freedom unite it was 3x, damage bonus on the next attack that wakes them, any attack, be it a bomb, a kick, a level 3 GS charge, etc. Now, with that out of the way, once a monster is asleep, you plant as many large bomb+ next to the head/whatever, walk a bit away and plant a small bomb, you want the small bomb to only hit the large bomb so one of them gets the bonus damage. If you plant the small bomb too close, it will strike the monster first instead of the large bombs, giving it the 2x damage, which only does a base of like 10 damage, instead of the large bomb+'s base of 150.

Normal sleep bomber setup. Sleep SnS or any fast sleep weapon and bomber. Status up, sharpness and ESP are nice add-ons. Having the pyro kitchen skill is another nice add-on as well. Not that great in random groups as you'll have someone goin' ape shit on the monsters as they're falling asleep, messing up your whole bombing running.

It was a pretty common tactic to use in Freedom 2/unite up until G-rank, at which point the bomb damage did not scale as much as the monster's HP did, making it less effective then just slashing and bashing them to death.

Sammy Samusu said:
YES! *-*

I found out you can't hit the monster with whatever you use to explode bombs.
It might be more of a pain than just that, if it works like previous iterations. Basically, if you had a few large barrel bomb+s and a few large barrel bombs, you had to get the large barrel bomb+ to explode first, otherwise the non-plus sized bomb gets the bonus.

FWIW, my experience last night was that everyone had bombardier and used only large barrel bombs (since we were out of scatterfish) and someone brought the sleep gunner extra sleep ammo and mats, and that was enough to break both horns.

The skypiercer is a rare drop, though. :/

Thanks everyone! Also, any tips to destroy Alatreon wings? I heard you need to set bombs next to it's back.

Kyoufu said:
Lets do Alatreon guys! :(

I need a bunch of tails. Willing to sleep bomb!
Working, wish I could join you... :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any day now, shipped from Hong Kong... :lol

I have decided I one day want the Damascus armor for my gunner.

Boney

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
It might be more of a pain than just that, if it works like previous iterations. Basically, if you had a few large barrel bomb+s and a few large barrel bombs, you had to get the large barrel bomb+ to explode first, otherwise the non-plus sized bomb gets the bonus.

FWIW, my experience last night was that everyone had bombardier and used only large barrel bombs (since we were out of scatterfish) and someone brought the sleep gunner extra sleep ammo and mats, and that was enough to break both horns.

The skypiercer is a rare drop, though. :/
I fucking hate this rewards system. I broke the horns now give them to me! This shit needs to be fixed, I get tired on beating the shit out of the same monster just because he won't give me his shit.
Not nivr...

Top Bottom