• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

botticus

Luigiv said:
Well If were going to do LS without spirit combo vs GS I would say it then becomes a choice between dodging and blocking. Personally I'm no good at blocking :lol.

Anyway, Your equipment should be fine, guess it's really just a matter of learning his attack patterns. You could try switching to a Thunder or Dragon element weapon but honestly I don't think it would make that much difference (not before your first Rathalos anyway).
Switching to a Dragon element SnS shaved off at least 10 minutes from the first offline Rathalos hunt for me. I could attribute some of that to learning how to fight him online, but I had done that long before seeing him offline - though for the longest time that stupid hop back fireball hit me every time.

orion434

I started up a new character this past weekend and realized that Bowguns suck! I'm playing right now with Sword & Shield. I went directly into Bowguns with my first character ( Big Mistake ) and I always see people talking about combos and so far all I can do is attacks with Y & A and I'm basically button mashing and that is most likely NOT what I'm supposed to do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
rayner said:
I started up a new character this past weekend and realized that Bowguns suck! I'm playing right now with Sword & Shield. I went directly into Bowguns with my first character ( Big Mistake ) and I always see people talking about combos and so far all I can do is attacks with Y & A and I'm basically button mashing and that is most likely NOT what I'm supposed to do.

Bowguns do not suck.

Luigiv

rayner said:
Why would you be expecting to do combos with a gun? That line of thought doesn't even make sense.

Anyway, what the bowgun lacks in moves it makes up tenfold in ammo variety.

orion434

Hawkian said:
Bowguns do not suck.

Playing online I never get a clear-shot and my favorite ammo is Pellet and I stun-lock almost everyone ( especially if it's rapid fire ) and sitting around waiting to heal people is annoying, why is it so dam tedious to change bullets... and I like Light Bowguns and it's been forever since I can switch-out parts and get the right bullets for Rapid / decent ammo before reload. I've sunk a big chunk of time into playing Bowguns and there is not enough room for improvement for my play-style.

Luigiv said:
Why would you be expecting to do combos with a gun? That line of thought doesn't even make sense.

Anyway, what the bowgun lacks in moves it makes up tenfold in ammo variety.

I meant to say combos with melee weapons, not bowguns. So far with my swrod and shield I just do Y - Y - A or Y - A - Y... do I ever get a 4th combo?

Kyoufu said:
Sounds like a horrible idea though, no offense. Currently, I find it hard enough to get people to cut Alatreon's Tail, break Diablos's horns, destroy Gobul's Lantern or god forbid break all of Agnaktor's claws. If you make this gimmick any more taxing than it currently is then you're basically killing a cool aspect of the game's battle system.

Perhaps, but I still think it would have potential and you don't make all parts that hard to break. For example, Rathalos Ruby is extremely rare. I'd rather have that item associated with a particular part of the monster tough to get at but guaranteed to give you one. Or, associate it with a rare breed of Rathalos that randomly shows up and guarantees that drop if you kill it. Again, I'd take a randomly spawning rare monster over a random drop. It's something you can see and pursue with a solid reward waiting your success. Or, if the random drop can't be done away with all together, then leave it to just the more common drops with the rarest following my suggested alternatives. I think it would be more interesting.

john tv

DragonGirl said:
Perhaps, but I still think it would have potential and you don't make all parts that hard to break. For example, Rathalos Ruby is extremely rare. I'd rather have that item associated with a particular part of the monster tough to get at but guaranteed to give you one. Or, associate it with a rare breed of Rathalos that randomly shows up and guarantees that drop if you kill it. Again, I'd take a randomly spawning rare monster over a random drop. It's something you can see and pursue with a solid reward waiting your success. Or, if the random drop can't be done away with all together, then leave it to just the more common drops with the rarest following my suggested alternatives. I think it would be more interesting.
I think that'd wind up prolonging fights way too much -- kind of like how you hold off on killing Gobul until you break its lantern, or Lagi until you break its horns, you'd have people doing whatever it took not to kill a monster until they got the rare whatever. It'd make things drag on forever IMO.

botticus

rayner said:
I meant to say combos with melee weapons, not bowguns. So far with my swrod and shield I just do Y - Y - A or Y - A - Y... do I ever get a 4th combo?
I don't know what the button combo is for the CCP since I'm using the remote, but you can get a good 5- or 6-hit combo with the SnS.

john tv said:
I think that'd wind up prolonging fights way too much -- kind of like how you hold off on killing Gobul until you break its lantern, or Lagi until you break its horns, you'd have people doing whatever it took not to kill a monster until they got the rare whatever. It'd make things drag on forever IMO.
In a way it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Do you drag out one fight to get a rare break, or do you go through a dozen shorter fights to get a rare drop? Sounds like some people prefer one way, others another.

Nicktals

Banned
DragonGirl said:

I think your randomly spawning monster is the better idea here. Otherwise you'd really have to retool everything to make it work for the hard to break body parts idea. Because you could have 3 skilled, high level players get a lower level player any armor he wanted in a manor of hours...and that'd kind of break the balance, I think.

But, going with your rare monsters idea, you could even make it so certain body parts only appear once in a while. For example, you could have a diablos with 1 horn have a spawn rate of 1:50, or a Gobul with a larger than normal lantern spawn at a rate of 1:10. And then you know, once you see if, that if you can break that part, you will get the item.

Of course this would lead to people starting a fight, and then quitting as soon as they can't see the part...Or lead to people bitching about how frustrating it is that the 1 horned diablos never spawns for them.

If any part of the game that leads to drops is random, you're going to get people bitching about it, and it's going to be the same problem.

EDIT: That all being said, I think any visual cue, even if random, would be an improvement. Although really I don't see it as broken either.

Luigiv

rayner said:
Playing online I never get a clear-shot and my favorite ammo is Pellet and I stun-lock almost everyone ( especially if it's rapid fire ) and sitting around waiting to heal people is annoying, why is it so dam tedious to change bullets... and I like Light Bowguns and it's been forever since I can switch-out parts and get the right bullets for Rapid / decent ammo before reload. I've sunk a big chunk of time into playing Bowguns and there is not enough room for improvement for my play-style.

Well combos work differently for all the different melee weapons, but I'll say now that no class is going to play anything like NG or DMC.

For SnS, you have about 8 different moves (A couple of them being short combos themselves) and you can generally mix them up in a fair few ways.

Your moves are:
X-X-X : Basic Combo
^unsheathe or X+A : Jump Attack
B-X or ^X or Jump attack-X : Uppercut
A-A : Quick One-Two Combo
^A-A : Shield Bash
+ or vX (in the middle of a combo) : Spin Attack
R : Block
X (whilst blocking) : Block attack

And you can combo them like say
Jump attack -> Uppercut -> Basic Combo -> Spin Attack
or Basic Combo -> Quick One-Two

and so on. Just play around with it and you'll find out what you can and can't combo.

orion434

Luigiv said:
Well combos work differently for all the different melee weapons, but I'll say now that no class is going to play anything like NG or DMC.

For SnS, you have about 8 different moves (A couple of them being short combos themselves) and you can generally mix them up in a fair few ways.

Your moves are:
X-X-X : Basic Combo
X+A : Jump Attack
B-X or ^X or Jump attack-X : Uppercut
A-A : Quick One-Two Combo
^A-A : Shield Bash
+ or vX (in the middle of a combo) : Spin Attack
R : Block
X (whilst blocking) : Block attack

And you can combo them like say
Jump attack -> Uppercut -> Basic Combo -> Spin Attack
or Basic Combo -> Quick One-Two

and so on. Just play around with it and you'll find out what you can and can't combo.

Thanx for your help :D I'm playing with the new classic controller and the moves I didn't know were Uppercut & Spin Attack. The shield-bash I think is A-A I do that on Kelbi to get their horns easier. What does ^X mean like up+X on the analog-stick?

Also what is the ability Combo Plus or Combo Rate do? Thanx for everyone's help here this tread is like my lifeline for this game :lol

Luigiv

rayner said:
Thanx for your help :D I'm playing with the new classic controller and the moves I didn't know were Uppercut & Spin Attack. The shield-bash I think is A-A I do that on Kelbi to get their horns easier. What does ^X mean like up+X on the analog-stick?

Yeah, oops sorry, I forgot to write the Key :lol

^ = hold the stick (in any direction, this will be forward for your character)
v = Hold the stick down

Also what is the ability Combo Plus or Combo Rate do? Thanx for everyone's help here this tread is like my lifeline for this game :lol
Nothing to do with attack combos sorry. These ones effect item combinations.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Dragona, if you want I can help you kill a bunch of rathalos quickly online.

I appreciate the offer, but I need to learn how to deal with him effectively on my own. This was only the first time I fought him, after all. I think the biggest problem is that I keep expecting him to act like rathian, and not stay in the air so much. So it becomes the simple fact I'm not attacking as much as I should be.

Luigiv said:
Well if we're going to do LS without spirit combo vs GS I would say it then becomes a choice between dodging and blocking. Personally I'm no good at blocking :lol.

Anyway, Your equipment should be fine, guess it's really just a matter of learning his attack patterns. You could try switching to a Thunder or Dragon element weapon but honestly I don't think it would make that much difference (not before your first Rathalos anyway).

I don't block with a GS. I dodge. I find GS much more effective when you're fighting a monster that you don't get to combo to death. For instance, R. Ludroth and Great Jaggis are much quicker to kill with a LS than the GS, even if the GS has thrice the power, I find. Might just be the way I play though.

As for thunder, I do have a Lagiacrus GS, but Sieglinde is 200+ more attack, and has twice the sharpness. I don't think it'd make a huge difference. I just have to try again. :p

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Lance Bone Path said:
First one probably went about as smoothly as could be expected since I think two out of four people hadn't seen alatreon before. We all got tail carves which is actually a lot better than how a lot of first time alat quests go. :p

Second time, I'm not sure what happened. I thought someone was going to give me more sleep ammo and now it occurs to me that we should have done a low rank quru quest and have had the team practice quickly giving their rations to someone after getting a signal. FWIW I think we could have salvaged the quest if someone had thrown a paintball at the bombs instead of letting it wake up while I was busy running up to people and typing "ammo?"

Haha, I really hate gunning alat. Aside from the running around trying to panhandle ammo while alat was asleep, it's kind of boring :/.

Third time was the charm. As alat quests go, it was pretty uneventful. No sleep bombing this time; we just walked in and kicked its butt.
Sorry for not bringing ammo. Some else said he had them, so i supposed it was taken care of.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Dragona Akehi said:
I appreciate the offer, but I need to learn how to deal with him effectively on my own. This was only the first time I fought him, after all. I think the biggest problem is that I keep expecting him to act like rathian, and not stay in the air so much. So it becomes the simple fact I'm not attacking as much as I should be.

I don't block with a GS. I dodge. I find GS much more effective when you're fighting a monster that you don't get to combo to death. For instance, R. Ludroth and Great Jaggis are much quicker to kill with a LS than the GS, even if the GS has thrice the power, I find. Might just be the way I play though.

As for thunder, I do have a Lagiacrus GS, but Sieglinde is 200+ more attack, and has twice the sharpness. I don't think it'd make a huge difference. I just have to try again. :p
Are you throwing flash bombs to his face while he's flying? That helps a lot.

Luigiv

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah, that's why I figured it wouldn't make too much difference. Still it's worth pointing out status effects on a GS are pretty useless. There is just too much of an imbalance between attack rate, raw damage and status damage. At best you'll only poison him once if at all.

john tv said:

Hmm, that's a point. Obviously things wouldn't drag forever since there's a time limit though Certainly fights would have a far greater chance of going to the limit than ending more quickly. But is coordinating a group to break a horn and spending 50 minutes at it worse than fighting Rathalos 20 times in a row (and probably spending more than 50 minutes)?

Edit: beat me to my point.

Luigiv said:
Yeah, that's why I figured it wouldn't make too much difference. Still it's worth pointing out status effects on a GS are pretty useless. There is just too much of an imbalance between attack rate, raw damage and status damage. At best you'll only poison him once if at all.

Acrtually I just remembered I'm using an Wvyern Jawblade now since I just made it. Dur. But I have poisoned Rathian about half a dozen times the last time I fought her using Sieglinde. It was hilarious poisoning her with her own venom.

john tv

Lonely1 said:
Sorry for not bringing ammo. Some else said he had them, so i supposed it was taken care of.
Ahhh -- I thought you had them too, so I started sending, but he didn't take them right away, and you were right next to him, so I figured you were giving them instead. :) So I stopped -- whoops! Next time we should prolly just decide ahead of time who's giving, in what order, etc. etc.

Anyway it all worked out in the end! Heheh.

Luigiv

Dragona Akehi said:
Acrtually I just remembered I'm using an Wvyern Jawblade now since I just made it. Dur. But I have poisoned Rathian about half a dozen times the last time I fought her using Sieglinde. It was hilarious poisoning her with her own venom.
Hmm, guess I might be wrong on that.

Nicktals said:
I think your randomly spawning monster is the better idea here. Otherwise you'd really have to retool everything to make it work for the hard to break body parts idea. Because you could have 3 skilled, high level players get a lower level player any armor he wanted in a manor of hours...and that'd kind of break the balance, I think.

But, going with your rare monsters idea, you could even make it so certain body parts only appear once in a while. For example, you could have a diablos with 1 horn have a spawn rate of 1:50, or a Gobul with a larger than normal lantern spawn at a rate of 1:10. And then you know, once you see if, that if you can break that part, you will get the item.

Of course this would lead to people starting a fight, and then quitting as soon as they can't see the part...Or lead to people bitching about how frustrating it is that the 1 horned diablos never spawns for them.

If any part of the game that leads to drops is random, you're going to get people bitching about it, and it's going to be the same problem.

EDIT: That all being said, I think any visual cue, even if random, would be an improvement. Although really I don't see it as broken either.

I would rather have this in the end. The inescapable part is, no matter what system is employed, people will abuse it (abuse isn't exactly the word I want but I can't think of a better one) in attempts to get what they want rather than just play the game. Farming forever VS start and quit to get the rare monster. So there isn't a perfect solution. I still think a combination of my ideas would be less tedious than dealing with random drops. Even if you do start and stop to get the rare beast at least you didn't just spend all of your items and and hour of you life fighting Something-or-other for a random chance of bupkiss.

Diffense

Dragona Akehi said:

I ALWAYS poison rathian with Sieglinde P and sometimes poison it twice in a single encounter.
So, I've found status on my GS to be quite effective and use the Sieglinde more than anything else.
One monster that's still an absolute pain for me to deal with alone is Diablos.
He gives very few openings to begin with and then flies into a demonic rage at the slightest touch when it's almost beaten.

john tv said:
Ahhh -- I thought you had them too, so I started sending, but he didn't take them right away, and you were right next to him, so I figured you were giving them instead. :) So I stopped -- whoops! Next time we should prolly just decide ahead of time who's giving, in what order, etc. etc.

Anyway it all worked out in the end! Heheh.
You know, things worked out in the end in the MacGruber movie, but it doesn't make MacGruber a good movie. :p

I'm not a big fan of planning, though. Still, "let's see how it goes" works out much more often than one might think.

apujanata

I am going on line now. Hope to see one of you there, even though I am still only HR 14 (IIRC).

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - YPV799 - Agung P (apujanata)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Disguises

Just went online to do a few more Cold Call and Blood Sport runs to find out that they've finished :( (Thought they were going tomorrow), so I'm on now to do some Phantom Uragaan runs if anyone wants to join? :).

Edit: Haha, mini-Uragaan is so small. Found it difficult to tranq-bomb him while in a trap :S. Love the music while you're fighting him too. Can see me doing this a fair bit to farm shards :).

EU - 3BRQ3C - Disgyses (Disguises)

botticus

I just discovered that you can in fact continue upgrading the defense of a low-rank armor that you max out. I had thought that it would just equal the base high-rank armor piece, but essentially it becomes a high-rank armor with different slots/skills.

At least for now, I'll take the extra Health and Protection point of the Rathian Helm in place of the 2 additional slots of the Rathian Helm+, until I one day get a Ruby.

This is probably old news to most people, but in case anyone was still confused on the matter, there you go!

Disguises

I feel very lucky today. Did one Jhen Mohran urgent quest and got an Earth Dragon Gem from the mouth carve and ElderDragonBlood from a quest reward (didn't even kill him in the end). So I've now the chest armour and the Guan Dao long sword :). Yay.

gyrspike

Neo Member
So what's a good armor combo for a gunner to use on Alatreon? I just made HR 50 last night and would like to try doing the urgent. I've mostly been swapping between a full set of Peco+, a full set of Ingot+, and a full set of Gigginnox+. I'm worried that I won't have enough defense to take the occasional hit from him, I hear he can basically one-shot gunners. So, how much defense should I be looking for and what resists should I try to get up?

botticus

Woohoo, repelled Ceadeus. Ran out of time the first go-round, but a few more hits on the second visit was enough to chase him off. Now I can at least say I've beaten the game after 150 hours!

dsister44

nooooooooooooo, my TV remote has broken! I can turn the tv and the wii on but cant set the tv to show the right picture,. I dont suppose there is any way to link a different remote to a TV is there.. no monster hunter for me for the next 2 weeks if so :(:(:(:(:(:(

kinggroin

Banned
botticus said:
Woohoo, repelled Ceadeus. Ran out of time the first go-round, but a few more hits on the second visit was enough to chase him off. Now I can at least say I've beaten the game after 150 hours!
'

SP or MP?

Kad5

My god this Uragaan is so fucking annoying!

Im just gonna play multiplayer until I get better armor and weapons...

Hawkian said:
Yes, gunner armor does suck.
Yes but looks way better than Blademaster armor 90% of the time

I got all excited because I thought Jehn was going to be back tonight so I could finish my armor set. Turns out the MH Wiki updated their calendar and he is due for tomorrow.

Still wondering how we are going to kill Jehn+. The standard Jehn took a constant barrage to kill and the best time we've ever done is like 5 minutes to go.

Nicktals

Banned
Tip: If you want people to play with you, don't put things that indicate you have a short fuse and will make people pay for it in your MH profile.

Some good hunts guys, just taking a few minutes, but i'll be back on in a bit.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
so anyone want to help with a Jhen urgent?

Edit- nm, too late. Will try tomorrow

botticus

Has capping monsters online always been broken, or is it some new occurrence? I'd say at least half the time we've attempted a capture the last few weeks it takes at least 3 or 4 tranqs. I don't know if it's the server incorrectly coming back with the sound of a hit when it's really a miss or what, but it's getting annoying. I've wasted a lot of traps and tranqs.

Kyoufu

botticus said:
Has capping monsters online always been broken, or is it some new occurrence? I'd say at least half the time we've attempted a capture the last few weeks it takes at least 3 or 4 tranqs. I don't know if it's the server incorrectly coming back with the sound of a hit when it's really a miss or what, but it's getting annoying. I've wasted a lot of traps and tranqs.

I haven't had any problems.

oracrest

NA - 1HYN5T - Aegryn (oracrest)

Poyunch

Gonna be on later. I just got off a few minutes ago. Man it's so annoying not having that many sleepers during Ala runs. Plus I spent so much money on bombs and junk. Anyway I need some gems from Joe and some sapphires from Joe so hopefully people could help me. :p

botticus said:
It's probably due to lag.

I've been playing offline having alot of fun..

I don't know at which point i'll take it online.. I've got almost 20 hours into the game.. I've only completed 1 and 2 star quests..

I'm on the caputure the great jaggi quest now..I've killed the great jaggi for the quest and 2 other times just randomly while foraging for potions etc... his claw doesn't drop that often.. i have quite a bit of his hide though.

I love the game... great fun! the combat is so wicked.. takes a bit to learn all the moves but once you get them its great!

The moga forest or whatever is that the only area u can access from the doc town? or eventually can u access all the playing zones from the doc via boat or whatever..

i've only been 2 area's so far :)

Poyunch

edwardslane said:
I've been playing offline having alot of fun..

I don't know at which point i'll take it online.. I've got almost 20 hours into the game.. I've only completed 1 and 2 star quests..

I'm on the caputure the great jaggi quest now..I've killed the great jaggi for the quest and 2 other times just randomly while foraging for potions etc... his claw doesn't drop that often.. i have quite a bit of his hide though.

I love the game... great fun! the combat is so wicked.. takes a bit to learn all the moves but once you get them its great!

The moga forest or whatever is that the only area u can access from the doc town? or eventually can u access all the playing zones from the doc via boat or whatever..

i've only been 2 area's so far :)
Yeah basically. Eventually though you get new monsters and quests similar to just going to the Moga Woods except of different areas.

Top Bottom