• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

tyagi

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
EU - KRMW5T - Harman (tyagi)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

Bento

So I was thinking about giving Barroth another shot since it sadly did not end very well the first time I tried (my party failed the quest two times in a row due the same person dying over and over again, so much stuff lost for nothing) but would like to try again since he seems to have materials for some really nice weapons. I'm stocked on traps, bombs, nutrients and whatnot so I'm ready to fight him but it would be great if maybe a gaffer or two could tag along and give me a helping hand (I'm still a bit rough around the edges when it comes to this game...). So any Gaffers feel like playing some tonight? I'd be glad to return the favor if it's within my so far pretty limited HR : P

Shoot me a PM if you're interested or log in on the GAF server/gate around... 10-11 PM maybe?

I'm btw on the Euro server.

Bento said:
So I was thinking about giving Barroth another shot since it sadly did not end very well the first time I tried (my party failed the quest two times in a row due the same person dying over and over again, so much stuff lost for nothing) but would like to try again since he seems to have materials for some really nice weapons. I'm stocked on traps, bombs, nutrients and whatnot so I'm ready to fight him but it would be great if maybe a gaffer or two could tag along and give me a helping hand (I'm still a bit rough around the edges when it comes to this game...). So any Gaffers feel like playing some tonight? I'd be glad to return the favor if it's within my so far pretty limited HR : P

Shoot me a PM if you're interested or log in on the GAF server/gate around... 10-11 PM maybe?

I'm btw on the Euro server.
I'm assuming im too late...

carlo6529

So I picked this up today and played it for a couple of hours. It's my first MH game. I been looking for the bundle for a while but had no luck so I just bought the single game.

I decided to play with the classic controller because I heard some where that it has the best controls for the game? Is this true?

Anyway, I managed to do a couple of the early quests. It took me almost 50 minutes to get two horns from a goat like monster. Is there many quests like that? I hope not.

Hiltz

carlo6529 said:
So I picked this up today and played it for a couple of hours. It's my first MH game. I been looking for the bundle for a while but had no luck so I just bought the single game.

I decided to play with the classic controller because I heard some where that it has the best controls for the game? Is this true?

Anyway, I managed to do a couple of the early quests. It took me almost 50 minutes to get two horns from a goat like monster. Is there many quests like that? I hope not.

Personally, I found the classic controller pro to be the best one to use. The controller layout is intuitive while the controller itself feels quite comfortable.

I assume the goat monster you're referring to is t called the Kelbi (those green looking deer creatures). Anyway, if that's what your talking about, then it shouldn't take 50 minutes to do it. The trick to getting the kelbi horn item (which I assume you were trying to get) is to stun the monster and then carve its body to get the horn.

Honestly, the handful of missions where you have to gather stuff are the most boring ones, but none of them should take anywhere near 50 minutes to complete. If you had trouble locating more of those kelbi creatures, they'll appear only in certain areas so try to remember which areas in moga woods you can find them at such as area 1, 2, and 4.

For the record, most of the hunting and capturing of single boss monster missions should take less than 50 minutes. Expect 35-40 minutes for these. As long as you're not doing an actual quest in Moga Woods, you can have all the time you want to freely hunt and capture monsters as well as gather items. On top of that, there's no penalty for fainting.

Nicktals

Banned
It's not often that I feel like, by far, the weakest link of the team. I sure as hell did tonight though! :lol

Great hunts Znarf, Lance, and Nayi.

Billen

Banned
It seems you can only add friends while they are online, thereby making it rather hard to use the friends thread. Any eurogaffers online at the moment?

Apenheul

carlo6529 said:

What I usually do is while holding your weapon approach the kelbi, kick 'em with plus (+) and then immediately after that hit with X, which stuns them. When they're lying on the ground being stunned you can carve a kelbi horn.

Gibbo

Hey Folks, thinking of buying a Wii for Monster Hunter Tri and Mario Galaxy 2. I've owned a Wii before this- but gave it to my niece as a gift at the beginning this year- so I've played most of the Wii's library of high profile games.

What say you? Are the two games worth the price of re-admission? Only thing else to look forward to in the coming months would be Metriod if I'm not wrong

Leezard

Apenheul said:
What I usually do is while holding your weapon approach the kelbi, kick 'em with plus (+) and then immediately after that hit with X, which stuns them. When they're lying on the ground being stunned you can carve a kelbi horn.
Note that this is something that works with the Great Sword, not anything else. With the hammer you just attack the head, with the SNS you do a shield bash, etc.

carlo6529

Leezard said:
Note that this is something that works with the Great Sword, not anything else. With the hammer you just attack the head, with the SNS you do a shield bash, etc.

I had recently switched to a great sword and I didn't figure out how to stun in time.

Thx for the tips Leezard and Apenheul.

oracrest

Billen said:
It seems you can only add friends while they are online, thereby making it rather hard to use the friends thread. Any eurogaffers online at the moment?

Sonnet built a great program for the purpose of notifying people of when they are online. (See the first post at the top of this page.)

Otherwise, just go to Recruiting, Wisdom 1, City Gate 40, and there are usually people from here playing there.

ashism

NA - NE6PPP - Ashism (Ashism)

----

I have been moving across the coast and settling in for the past few weeks. I am so behind. Hunter rank 19! I am sure the rest of the crew is leaps and bounds ahead now.

Billen

Banned
oracrest said:
Sonnet built a great program for the purpose of notifying people of when they are online. (See the first post at the top of this page.)

Otherwise, just go to Recruiting, Wisdom 1, City Gate 40, and there are usually people from here playing there.

Retty empty there all the times I have checked on the EU server. Any eurogaffers able to help with Barroth? :D

Mardak

Interesting notes from Jhen fights:

- you can bind at the very beginning of part 2
- you can bind when jhen goes far away to prepare to ram/get dragonated (before it shoots its rocks)
- you can unload almost a full load of ballista when it's far -- level the aim at the stamina bar
- the top of its mouth is a convenient place to attack when it's facing the ship (tusks over the ship) because when it throws people off, you land back on the ship
- if you kill too fast (we happened to kill at 20:00), its head might be off the map, so you can't carve :(
- [edit] we just beat at 19:31 and could carve the head, but we didn't break both tusk/arms, so it didn't stagger as much
- [edit] purple sharpness doesn't bounce off tusks !

CTLance

Last night I sent a poor SnS user flying so often it broke my heart (and probably killed any fun he was having). This must not go on.

I looooove my Peco flint, but if things stay this way I'll switch back to GS and be done with it.

Out of habit I'm relying on the charged groundpound (R+neutral LStick in CC1), and that one has a ridiculously huge hitbox on its second attack that just devastates all other players around me.
Plus that unfortunate spinning move that is so easily activated instead. Really, that one feels like it's designed with the sole purpose to wipe out players like me and any unfortunate Hunter trapped in the resulting stunlock. Eats away at the sharpness without doing much damage, too.

But without the charged groundpound I find myself running around like a headless chicken, doing a X->X combo every now and then, resulting in a harsh decrease in damage and stun potential even if I add the other Hunters back in that I'd send flying otherwise. I realize that means I'm doing something wrong. Which, in turn, calls for training and self-improvement.

So, long story short, does anyone know a good attack combo guide? That knowledge has to be out there somewhere. In a perfect world including amount of damage inferred and sharpness lost, and for all weapons. But I'm not picky, really. Even just a non-annotated list of button presses will do. Anything.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
CTLance said:
Last night I sent a poor SnS user flying so often it broke my heart (and probably killed any fun he was having). This must not go on.

I looooove my Peco flint, but if things stay this way I'll switch back to GS and be done with it.

Out of habit I'm relying on the charged groundpound (R+neutral LStick in CC1), and that one has a ridiculously huge hitbox on its second attack that just devastates all other players around me.
Plus that unfortunate spinning move that is so easily activated instead. Really, that one feels like it's designed with the sole purpose to wipe out players like me and any unfortunate Hunter trapped in the resulting stunlock. Eats away at the sharpness without doing much damage, too.

But without the charged groundpound I find myself running around like a headless chicken, doing a X->X combo every now and then, resulting in a harsh decrease in damage and stun potential even if I add the other Hunters back in that I'd send flying otherwise. I realize that means I'm doing something wrong. Which, in turn, calls for training and self-improvement.

So, long story short, does anyone know a good attack combo guide? That knowledge has to be out there somewhere. In a perfect world including amount of damage inferred and sharpness lost, and for all weapons. But I'm not picky, really. Even just a non-annotated list of button presses will do. Anything.
Okay, a couple of things. The superpound has a large hitbox for a reason. You don't need to actually have your hammer make physical contact with the head of the monster. Second, the golfswing is actually quite useful. It's the strongest hammer attack in the game. However, your sharpness will go down like crazy and it takes a lot of practice to use it right. Likewise, you should be aiming for the head. Don't feel bad if another player ends up getting knocked back if he decides to be near the head. He shouldn't have been there. However, that goes for you as well. Work on the head to knock the monster out. Don't interefere with the other players attacking the legs/tails. So basically, you're going to have to practice more. There really is no attack combo. You're going to want to stick with superpounding the head and once the monster gets knocked out, triple pound away. Don't bother with the X --> X attack if you aren't going to land the third hit.

Leezard

Jangaroo said:
Okay, a couple of things. The superpound has a large hitbox for a reason. You don't need to actually have your hammer make physical contact with the head of the monster. Second, the golfswing is actually quite useful. It's the strongest hammer attack in the game. However, your sharpness will go down like crazy and it takes a lot of practice to use it right. Likewise, you should be aiming for the head. Don't feel bad if another player ends up getting knocked back if he decides to be near the head. He shouldn't have been there. However, that goes for you as well. Work on the head to knock the monster out. Don't interefere with the other players attacking the legs/tails. So basically, you're going to have to practice more.
This.

I find using the triple pound into lvl 1 charge into triple pound, etc. is awesome for when you got some free time attacking something. Infinite combo.
The superpound (or the lvl 2 charge) is better for those moments when you anticipate the monster's movements and only have time to get in a single attack before you have to dodge.
edit: that stealth edit!

In the rare cases you actually have to share attacking something with an SNS user you can do the lvl 1 charge to triple but cancel it into a lvl 1 charge again before you do the finishing golf swing. Infinite combos here too, but much lower total damage.

CTLance

Thanks Leezard and Jangaroo, that was exactly what I was looking for.

The meat of MH games is self-improvement, so I'm certainly going to practice more. :D Appears I've been using my Hammer the wrong way.

Can someone please elaborate on proper spin attack usage, though? I feel like I'm missing something. Crappy raw damage, huge sharpness decrease, lengthy unstoppable animation versus... uh... lots of hits? If I want lots of hits I equip a SnS, right? I simply have no use at all for this attack.

Oh well. Just shows how much of a beginner I still am. I swear, I'm better with a GS. Still, Peco Flint ... so good. Things go boom.

Jangaroo

CTLance said:

The meat of MH games is self-improvement, so I'm certainly going to practice more. :D Appears I've been using my Hammer the wrong way.

Can someone please elaborate on proper spin attack usage, though? I feel like I'm missing something. Crappy raw damage, huge sharpness decrease, lengthy unstoppable animation versus... uh... lots of hits? If I want lots of hits I equip a SnS, right? I simply have no use at all for this attack.

Oh well. Just shows how much of a beginner I still am. I swear, I'm better with a GS. Still, Peco Flint ... so good. Things go boom.
It's pretty rare to use this move so it's not something you should worry about. The rare times when I use this is when a monster is hovering above the ground (Rathalos, Rathian) or if the monster is weak and starts limping away. There really is no "good" time to use this move since it's all about you deciding when you can pull this move off without hitting everyone. If you get down to the nitty gritty, the whirlwind attack does even more damage then the triple pound I believe so I suppose it serves a purpose. But yeah, don't worry about the spin attack. You'll be far more useful sticking with the superpound, the occasional lvl1/lvl2 charge and the triple pound. Most important rule though, always stick to the head. Let the SnS/LS/GS attack the tail/legs. Occasionally, I'll let a lancer attack the other side of the head when the monster is down since they'll be less likely to trip me, but that's the rare exception.

oracrest

NA - 1HYN5T - Aegryn (oracrest)

Alatreon run! :D 2 spots left.

Luigiv

CTLance said:

Do you know about the finishing moves? Just hit x (CC1) in the midle of the spin animation to perform one. Less then 3 spins does a clockwise golf swing and more the 3 spins does a counter-clockwise golf swing. The latter is the strongest single attack of the Hammers arsenal.

Edit: Oh buy the Way, Jangaroo, Leezard. The triple pound got nerfed to hell in Tri, the golfswing at the end is a lot weaker. Instead the finisher 2 of the spin attack got beefed up.

CTLance

Agh! Luigiv, don't do this to me!

So, for clarification: In Tri, using the Hammer, what is the normal way to club an enemy upside the head? Is the Triplepound nerf bad enough to force another pattern? Does Leezards 3X->R(short)->repeat combo still work, or should I use another combo? So confusing.

I will try to aim my spin-of-doom-finisher better. Didn't know it was that powerful. Thanks for that.

Jangaroo

Luigiv said:
Do you know about the finishing moves? Just hit x (CC1) in the midle of the spin animation to perform one. Less then 3 spins does a clockwise golf swing and more the 3 spins does a counter-clockwise golf swing. The latter is the strongest single attack of the Hammers arsenal.

Edit: Oh buy the Way, Jangaroo, Leezard. The triple pound got nerfed to hell in Tri, the golfswing at the end is a lot weaker. Instead the finisher 2 of the spin attack got beefed up.
The damage faq says that the golf swing at the end of the triple pound does 65% while the first two hammer hits does 52% and 20%. So the golfswing did get nerfed. Still, that doesn't change the fact that the triple pound still does a crap load of damage and if you take into account how long it takes to pull off a 5hit+golfswing spin attack, you're better off pulling two triple pounds when a monster is knocked out. I'll have to test this out once I hit HR51 and make my hammer set.
CTLance said:

So, for clarification: In Tri, using the Hammer, what is the normal way to club an enemy upside the head? Is the Triplepound nerf bad enough to force another pattern? Does Leezards 3X->R(short)->repeat combo still work, or should I use another combo? So confusing.

I will try to aim my spin-of-doom-finisher better. Didn't know it was that powerful. Thanks for that.
You have to keep in mind that things won't go exactly as planned. There are so many variables that could keep you from pulling off an infinite or a triplepound such as not positioning yourself correctly or the monster waking up from a KO. If you think you have the time to pull off an infinite (3X --> R --> 3X) then obviously go for that. If you don't feel like you have that time to do so, then improvise or cut the infinite short. And no, the triplepound nerf isn't bad enough to use another pattern.
Edit: You just have to practice really. You'll figure out when it's appropriate to pull off a 5hit spin attack or an infinite so don't worry about trying to figure everything about. It'll come to you in time.

Luigiv

CTLance said:

Well despite being nerfed I would say the Triple Pound is definitely more useful in Tri then it was in the previous games, due to the added comboing abilities and a slight increase in speed. You definitely will use it much more then the spin attack. But anyway, I should probably offer you a real strategy rather then just my random thoughts :lol.

First things first, Most of my experience is in SP so even I have trouble not hitting my team mates online, but this strategy should work well in theory.

Rule 1: Always keep your hammer charging whilst waiting for an opening to attack.

Rule 2: That being said, it's ok to loose your charge with a dodge roll if you need too.

Rule 3: Do not just run in around aimlessly missing opportunities to attack because you're waiting for your hammer to reach charge level 3. Get in there with what you have, dodge and start charging again for the next window.

Rule 4: If you're doing a combo, don't worry too much about getting that golf swing at the end of a triple pound in (as I said, it's been nerfed). Just keep your combos short and roll to avoid getting hit.

Rule 5: Try not to hit people with the super pound.

Rule 6: Only use spins when you have both the time and space to pull it off. Still, don't be afraid to use it when you can, the finishers are really powerful.

Rule 7: Didn't know about Leezard's infinite combo myself so don't really know how useful it is but I don't see many opportunities to use it (One cycle would already be quite long). It's probably be pretty useful against a downed opponent. It'd save you having to dodge roll after each golf swing.

Final Rule: Every attack in the hammers arsenal is actually pretty useful in it's own way. Ultimately the best way to use the hammer is to simply learn which attack works best in each situation. eg. Spin Attacks are really useful against Gobul when he's on land. Super Pounds are really good for striking Quropeco's flints. etc.

Anyway hears the damage formula if you need more info.

It's disappointing that all the event quests are re-runs. I'll probably not play as much this week (to work on the backlog caused by Tri) and will limit this week's online play time to spamming the hell out of the poached egg event quest.

With the great luck armor skill (+15 fate), the first two rows of the rewards screen are often completely filled, which frequently means more shards and charms. The shards are mostly good for (more) money.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry to ask this here as it's off-topic, but... is it possible I was banned from the Off-Topic forum? It looks like I can browse it but no post buttons show up... I can't imagine what it possibly could be for, is it bad practice to try PMing someone?

L00P

Hawkian said:
Sorry to ask this here as it's off-topic, but... is it possible I was banned from the Off-Topic forum? It looks like I can browse it but no post buttons show up... I can't imagine what it possibly could be for, is it bad practice to try PMing someone?

I believe it's closed because of E3. 500 errors and all that.

Nicktals

Banned
Hawkian said:

The OT is often closed down during E3, to try and decrease 500 errors.

The World Cup thread got moved over here, temporarily, so if that's your cup of tea, you can still post on gaf about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Woo! Hong Kong post comes through! Now I can play without any video handicap, and play MH3 in glorious 1080p
not really
!

I'll be on probably for quite a while tonight, HR 32 and up for anything. :D

BooJoh

Anyone know if Hot Deal is possible with only two people?

I'm using Inceadeus+ and my partner is using an Epitaph Blade, and it takes us about 40 minutes to take down the first Agnaktor. I really wanted the Sinister Saints but at this point it looks like I'll have to wait until the next time around.

Leezard

BooJoh said:
Anyone know if Hot Deal is possible with only two people?

I'm using Inceadeus+ and my partner is using an Epitaph Blade, and it takes us about 40 minutes to take down the first Agnaktor. I really wanted the Sinister Saints but at this point it looks like I'll have to wait until the next time around.
You can get tickets by finishing via subquest. You probably won't get them a lot, but you can get them.

BooJoh

Leezard said:
You can get tickets by finishing via subquest. You probably won't get them a lot, but you can get them.
Thanks, I didn't think I could since I didn't get any the first time I ended via sub.

After grinding the coliseum, I'm now one barioth coin short of being able to make a full set of low rank guild or ranger armor. Or I could hoard my coins for guild hall+ armor in the hopes that Capcom will unlock the high rank coliseum quests any time soon. :/

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Woo, finally got the stupid ingredients I needed for the mask and got to 5* offline last night. Captured Rathalos solo my first try wooooo :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry for the DP- I know this E3 was amazing, but surely someone must still want to hunt monsters? Going on now, up for anything!

Nicktals

Banned
Hawkian said:
Sorry for the DP- I know this E3 was amazing, but surely someone must still want to hunt monsters? Going on now, up for anything!

Just moved in with my girlfriend tonight (woo!), but hopefully will be able to start putting some good time in again tomorrow. But for sure by next week I should be able to get on fairly regularly. You're NA, right? What's your MH name?

botticus

Hawkian said:
I just hopped on last night for the first time in a few days (been rather busy) to help someone get the 4* urgent done, and man, taking a break from the game is not advisable. The further distance from my TV (rearranged the furniture) did not help me feel anymore comfortable. Hopefully I'll have a bit of time this weekend to get back into it.

I also finally put my surround speakers in sort-of-surround position (more to the side than in back) and the first howl from an aptonoth behind me freaked me out.

Also, another one of those things that's probably common knowledge to everyone but me, but apparently monster parts disappear with a captured monster. As if rubies weren't hard enough to get, I didn't get around to carving Rathian's tail until a few minutes after she was captured since it was in the same room as Rathalos, and by that time it was gone. Extremely annoying.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hawkian said:

Yeah I went on at like 8 and the gaf server was empty. :lol

Hopefully things pick up next week.

schuelma said:
Yeah I went on at like 8 and the gaf server was empty. :lol

Hopefully things pick up next week.
I'm halfway to my goal of... (tip of pinky to corner of mouth) one million zenny!

I somewhat doubt that I will reach that goal before the poached eggs event quest is gone, but I'll resume playing normally when that quest is gone or when I reach one million. Playing normally probably means mostly farming the volcano for rare charms :/, but I'll be up for anything.

Top Bottom