• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

apujanata

Anyone wanted to help me with my 2* urgent quest (Lagi) ?
I really need help with this. I am in City 1.

I am online now! Send me a message in-game or warp to me.
NA - YPV799 - Agung P (apujanata)

Not on the list? Add yourself in this thread.

The official GAF server is: Recruiting / Wisdom 1 / Gate 40

insin

Neo Member
3 Uragaan rubies from last night's session on a High Uragaan recruiting server. I only started forging Uragaan+ armour last night and I'm 1 Uragaan Jaw and 6 AgnaktorCarapaces away from completing it. I only started lancing the night before last and I already have an Elder Babel Spr (R), one set of armour with Guard Up and Guard + 2 and one set of armour with Speed Sharpening, Guard + 2 and Evasion + 2. I also managed to tweak my Baggi set to keep the Focus skill in addition to Capture Expert, Capture Guru and Good Luck. I love this game!

204 hours played and the only place I've seen "Wyvern Stone" is in the greyed out listing of what I need to upgrade most of my interesting equipment and in the chat log. I'm sure they're just making it up to taunt me. One of my regular co-hunters seems to routinely get 5 or more Dragonbone Relics, which I need to upgrade most of my interesting equipment, from the bonepile in the Tundra secret area, while I get Bone Husks, Bone fucking Husks! I've amassed a collection of 5 Dragonbone Relics in my 204 hours of play time. I hate this game!

Luigiv

insin said:
3 Uragaan rubies from last night's session on a High Uragaan recruiting server. I only started forging Uragaan+ armour last night and I'm 1 Uragaan Jaw and 6 AgnaktorCarapaces away from completing it. I only started lancing the night before last and I already have an Elder Babel Spr (R), one set of armour with Guard Up and Guard + 2 and one set of armour with Speed Sharpening, Guard + 2 and Evasion + 2. I also managed to tweak my Baggi set to keep the Focus skill in addition to Capture Expert, Capture Guru and Good Luck. I love this game!

204 hours played and the only place I've seen "Wyvern Stone" is in the greyed out listing of what I need to upgrade most of my interesting equipment and in the chat log. I'm sure they're just making it up to taunt me. One of my regular co-hunters seems to routinely get 5 or more Dragonbone Relics, which I need to upgrade most of my interesting equipment, from the bonepile in the Tundra secret area, while I get Bone Husks, Bone fucking Husks! I've amassed a collection of 5 Dragonbone Relics in my 204 hours of play time. I hate this game!
And yet you still play :D.

Nicktals

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Also small bombs become large I think.

Honestly I never get that felyne skill ever. Its pretty much the one skill that the cats refuse to give me lol.

Hmm, is this true?

Do they (the small bombs) then get the characteristics of large bombs? Or do they keep the characteristics of small bombs?

Basically, I'm wondering, if I have Pyro, can I still lay unlimited amounts of 'small bombs' (which actually become large bombs)?

Because you could lay a lot of Small converted Large bombs in a minute of sleep.

EDIT: After FINALLY getting my first Ura Ruby, I made the set I wanted, and took a small break. Came back, and while waiting for a 4th to do a Jhen+ fight, the others decided they wanted to do a Ura fight until a 4th came.

And I got another Ruby. So I got 50+ fights without getting a single one, and then get 2 in a row. So I think I could make a full Ura set now, if I wanted. Only 2 Rubies needed, right?

botticus

Kyoufu said:
Alternatively, you can just quickly farm a Qurupeco+ set (shouldn't take more than an hour) so that you have enough defense to not get OHKO'd.
I beg to differ! I'm still about 13 scales short after a dozen hunts. Rathian+ was a hell of a lot quicker, minus the ruby (which can be made up for by upgrading your low-rank helm).

We sadly got our ship destroyed with just over a minute left last night. Frankly I think once you get to the second phase, you could live without the ship - just might have trouble getting back home afterward.

explodet

Got my full Jaggi+ set last night (got a bird wyvern gem real early thankfully), and started doing some HR Peco. That's a real adventure now, thanks to him summoning Joe. Thankfully we came prepared with sonic bombs, but we still found ourselves running like roaches when he decided to just show up for the hell of it.

Tenbatsu

Nicktals said:
Hmm, is this true?

Do they (the small bombs) then get the characteristics of large bombs? Or do they keep the characteristics of small bombs?

Basically, I'm wondering, if I have Pyro, can I still lay unlimited amounts of 'small bombs' (which actually become large bombs)?

Because you could lay a lot of Small converted Large bombs in a minute of sleep.
Its just normal bombs (Barrel Bomb S/L) become + version (Barrel Bomb S/L+) thats all. The small bombs don't become large bombs:lol

I just beat Gobul offline using that Quropeco hammer and Great Jaggi armor, This game seems a whole lot easier than the older games. Still addicting as ever though.

And I'm only HR4 in Online:(

Preparing for Lagi next.

I got all the Jehn+ stuff I need for now….. I think. Enough to make his gloves, my Helios chest, and to upgrade my Tenabra and Dao LSs. All that’s left for my desired armor set is 2 Rathalos Plates……… back to the tail grinding I suppose.

insin said:
204 hours played and the only place I've seen "Wyvern Stone" is in the greyed out listing of what I need to upgrade most of my interesting equipment and in the chat log.

Sorry about your luck but after having so much continued frustration with specific gems, I actually think the Wyvern Stone method is how I want rare drops in MH handled. If they insist on keeping items that rare, then allow multiple monsters to drop them. That way instead of having to grind the same guy to the point where it gets tiresome, I would simply amass a stone here or there as I enjoy the games different flavors.

Nicktals

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Its just normal bombs (Barrel Bomb S/L) become + version (Barrel Bomb S/L+) thats all. The small bombs don't become large bombs:lol

Yeah that sounded too good to be true when Kyoufu mentioned it!

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Sorry about your luck but after having so much continued frustration with specific gems, I actually think the Wyvern Stone method is how I want rare drops in MH handled. If they insist on keeping items that rare, then allow multiple monsters to drop them. That way instead of having to grind the same guy to the point where it gets tiresome, I would simply amass a stone here or there as I enjoy the games different flavors.

Yeah, farming for Wyvern Stones was enjoyable, because there were so many different monsters I could fight while still having a chance at getting one.

Leezard

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Indeed. I actually got all Wyvern Stones I needed (6-7 of them) while searching for other materials and just doing regular hunts, never did I have to farm for just the Stone. It's one of the least obnoxious materials I've had to get. Replacing the ian/los rubies with a single Rath Ruby would be really welcome.

botticus said:
We sadly got our ship destroyed with just over a minute left last night. Frankly I think once you get to the second phase, you could live without the ship - just might have trouble getting back home afterward.
Well, I don't know what to say.

I didn't do any mining because I was concerned about how low our damage output was probably going to be, but I think there were people on its back who said they would be manning the ship's weapons the whole time. I'm going to guess they wanted to stop to get some mining in :/

It was very discouraging to hear everyone else in the group say that we could kill a jhen+ using just the ship's weapons- I got a surprising amount of flak for saying that I didn't think we could beat it with our equipment. After that, I felt discouraged not to see the ship's weapons being used to protect the ship. Maybe I'm wrong and we would have killed it in the last one minute if the ship were in better shape, but I think the best we could have hoped for was a repel.

After the quest, two people immediately left the city. :/ I posted soon after checking if anyone was interested in jhen+ and then gave up and joined up with randoms.

So far, I've done the quest at least a dozen times during the current sandstorm and all of them except one resulted in a jhen kill. I'm just hoping that I get a few more kills tonight and reach a state where I never need any more materials from that quest. :/

Lance Bone Path said:

I didn't do any mining because I was concerned about how low our damage output was probably going to be, but I think there were people on its back who said they would be manning the ship's weapons the whole time. I'm going to guess they wanted to stop to get some mining in :/

It was very discouraging to hear everyone else in the group say that we could kill a jhen+ using just the ship's weapons- I got a surprising amount of flak for saying that I didn't think we could beat it with our equipment. After that, I felt discouraged not to see the ship's weapons being used to protect the ship. Maybe I'm wrong and we would have killed it in the last one minute if the ship were in better shape, but I think the best we could have hoped for was a repel.

After the quest, two people immediately left the city. :/ I posted soon after checking if anyone was interested in jhen+ and then gave up and joined up with randoms.

So far, I've done the quest at least a dozen times during the current sandstorm and all of them except one resulted in a jhen kill. I'm just hoping that I get a few more kills tonight and reach a state where I never need any more materials from that quest. :/

Sorry to hear about such a bummer quest. I love fighting Jhen. I'd join you if I wasn't under a self imposed embargo until after E3. I always volunteer for the front Dragonator. Haven't missed the timing yet.

botticus

Lance Bone Path said:

I'm sure the missed Dragonator didn't help our cause any. ;)

I still feel pretty useless on that quest so I just defer to people who have clearly done it a lot more than me to deal with the special weapons. I know the gong was poorly utilized [can/should it be used when people are on its back, or is it going to throw them off unnecessarily?] but I felt pretty efficient on the cannon. :lol

Leezard

botticus said:
I'm sure the missed Dragonator didn't help our cause any. ;)

I still feel pretty useless on that quest so I just defer to people who have clearly done it a lot more than me to deal with the special weapons. I know the gong was poorly utilized [can/should it be used when people are on its back, or is it going to throw them off unnecessarily?] but I felt pretty efficient on the cannon. :lol
In my experience, the gong should be used when Jhen tries to bellyflop the ship. Anyone more experienced than me may be able to point out a better use, but that's what I do, and that's the way I've seen it used in most of my (good) Jhen runs. A better alternative when people are on Jhen's back would be to use the binder, I believe.

botticus

Leezard said:
In my experience, the gong should be used when Jhen tries to bellyflop the ship. Anyone more experienced than me may be able to point out a better use, but that's what I do, and that's the way I've seen it used in most of my (good) Jhen runs. A better alternative when people are on Jhen's back would be the binder, I believe.
Yeah, I know that's the best time, but generally you have 5 minutes of him sideswiping the boat early on when it could be used if it makes sense, after which it should be ready for another use.

Leezard

botticus said:
Yeah, I know that's the best time, but generally you have 5 minutes of him sideswiping the boat early on when it could be used if it makes sense, after which it should be ready for another use.
Ah, you are correct. I'm unsure on when a good time could be. Let's break it down. What does the gong do? Interrupt attacks and something more, I suppose, (Like the binder interrupts attacks and holds him for a few seconds). In the second phase Jhen can fall to the ground if you successfully interrupt an attack, right?
The best thing would be to test it I think. How does Jhen react to the gong if you use it while he jumps over the ship?
I guess I simply do not know Jhen well enough to answer this question. :lol

botticus

Leezard said:
Ah, you are correct. I'm unsure on when a good time could be. Let's break it down. What does the gong do? Interrupt attacks and something more, I suppose, (Like the binder interrupts attacks and holds him for a few seconds). In the second phase Jhen can fall to the ground if you successfully interrupt an attack, right?
The best thing would be to test it I think. How does Jhen react to the gong if you use it while he jumps over the ship?
I guess I simply do not know Jhen well enough to answer this question. :lol
I would fear for my virtual life at the hands of teammates if I "tested" anything during a Jhen fight. :lol

Leezard

botticus said:
I would fear for my virtual life at the hands of teammates if I "tested" anything during a Jhen fight. :lol
Do it on low-rank Jhen and I think you'll still be able to kill him no matter how many gongs or binders you waste. I think I'm going to try sounding the gong while he jumps in my next (low) run. :lol
edit: Also, what are a few sacrifices for knowledge of how to beat Jhen more easily? :D

Leezard said:
In my experience, the gong should be used when Jhen tries to bellyflop the ship. Anyone more experienced than me may be able to point out a better use, but that's what I do, and that's the way I've seen it used in most of my (good) Jhen runs. A better alternative when people are on Jhen's back would be to use the binder, I believe.
I prefer to use the binder only to prevent attacks to the ship. Most of the groups I've been on have by convention assigned the role of gonging/binding to whoever takes the binder ammo. That role pretty much ties you to the ship, though, since it makes you responsible for the ship's hull integrity.

My guess about that convention is that it prevents the gong and binder from both being used against the same incoming attack.

Just thought I'd add to the Jhen discussion. When on Jhen's back, I don't think the gong or binder will cause players to be thrown off. Actually, I don't think you can be thrown off if you stay on the far side of Jhen (away from the ship). If on the near side, Jhen will knock you off when he attacks the ship. Interrupting that attack may even prevent being thrown.

Teknoman

Leezard said:
Do it on low-rank Jhen and I think you'll still be able to kill him no matter how many gongs or binders you waste. I think I'm going to try sounding the gong while he jumps in my next (low) run. :lol
edit: Also, what are a few sacrifices for knowledge of how to beat Jhen more easily? :D

I didnt know you could actually kill Jhen, only had repels so far. Taken an MH3 break but I better get back into it before I get left behind :lol

Mardak

botticus said:
We sadly got our ship destroyed with just over a minute left last night.
Wow. I've never seen that happen. What did Jhen do? Was it up against the ship just constantly doing its bellyflop or head swipe? I've played plenty where Jhen gets to the ship to do many attacks, but it always flees or dies.

The NPCs keep saying that the ship could get destroyed, but I thought they were just making it up.

Do enough damage when Jhen is close and it should take a few steps back. Gong and Dragonator tend to always push back. Binder will stop it from moving for some seconds.

Oh and if you do get Jhen to flip when it's next to the ship, put the dragon bombs in the mouth. But lately I haven't even gotten to do that as Jhen dies before it gets close enough for the 2nd Dragonator.

I think the 3* urgent Jhen is definitely easier than the HR event quest though. Fastest I've killed for 3* was probably 22 minutes whereas event quest kill can take at least 25.

Mairu

Looking for a couple people to help with my friend's 4* Urgent if anyone is available. Warp to Mairu if you can help.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That reminds me, my mind was blown that you can press - or + to skip teh death animation, so I am passing the favor along.

Going on in a few minues. I am still HDMI-less but really feel like some hunting. Rathalos, Jhen, or HR31-45 quests anybody?

dsister44

Leezard said:
Even if I am hammering his arm to oblivion I still don't got enough time to carve everything :lol I should try it with speed gathering once.

we must do jhen together sometime! my look with groups is awful, Ive tried 4 times tonight

1. 3 of us in a room, we wait for 25 minutes for a third until I get disconnected

2. manage to find a group quickly, the same guy dies 3 times, the last one 5 minutes before the end

3. boat gets destroyed because someone ketp using the gong as soon as it was ready, instead of to interupt attacks

4. finally complete the quest but its only a repel. however got some good luck at the end as I got some eldrdragonblood :)

on the subject of wyvern stones, I hate them. My lagia sword is still rare 2 because after i need 2 wyvern stons when after 180 hours I have none. This sucks

botticus

Mardak said:
Wow. I've never seen that happen. What did Jhen do? Was it up against the ship just constantly doing its bellyflop or head swipe? I've played plenty where Jhen gets to the ship to do many attacks, but it always flees or dies.
From what I recall, it was just a matter of a few missed attacks being the difference between failure and repelling. Missed the first Dragonator, and then at least once the gong and binder were used during the same attack. Correcting one of those would have made repelling easy, and both would have improved the odds of killing. But I don't worry too much about it, since the most I generally contribute is not dying.

dsister44 said:
on the subject of wyvern stones, I hate them. My lagia sword is still rare 2 because after i need 2 wyvern stons when after 180 hours I have none. This sucks
Sounds like people either have luck with wyvern stones or with other rare stuff. I have 4 or 5 wyvern stones at this point, but it takes forever to get anything else with < 10% drop rate. Except for plates - I have a stockpile of those.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anybody wanna play? I just realized I could forge Jhen's LS (well, it's more of a... well, a Guandao). It wannttsss bloood

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
Hawkian said:
Anybody wanna play? I just realized I could forge Jhen's LS (well, it's more of a... well, a Guandao). It wannttsss bloood
I'm up for Jhen+ runs in like 15 mins. Hopefully my internet won't crap out.

Poyunch

Ya it's not cool. I have 6 Earth DragonGems and all but one have been from the most recent Jhen event. But I can't even get the other stones from the other monsters like Jho and Lagi. But I know I shouldn't complain.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sorry again about that Jhen fellas.

My VGA cable has gotten notably worse, now it's multiple times a minute the screen flashes black. Awesome :lol

Had enough failures combined with that to last me one night. I'm gonna go play something easy like Bratz: Fashion

oracrest

NA - 1HYN5T - Aegryn (oracrest)

Poyunch

Hawkian said:
Sorry again about that Jhen fellas.

My VGA cable has gotten notably worse, now it's multiple times a minute the screen flashes black. Awesome :lol

Had enough failures combined with that to last me one night. I'm gonna go play something easy like Bratz: Fashion
No problem. Didn't notice you just reached High Rank. It's fine really. I'm done with Jhen. I have all the mats I need from it.

Leezard

dsister44 said:
we must do jhen together sometime! my look with groups is awful, Ive tried 4 times tonight
Indeed, we should. I still need Jhen mats. The Alatreon weapons are awesome against him, so low-Jhen should be really easy now that I got the Metamorph. :D High-Jhen is someone I would like to fight too. Last time he was available I had low-rank armor. :lol

edit: I just got 3 gems from a single Jhen fight! :D

Luigiv

EU - HJADE5 - LuigiV (Luigiv)

Nicktals

Banned
Leezard said:
Indeed, we should. I still need Jhen mats. The Alatreon weapons are awesome against him, so low-Jhen should be really easy now that I got the Metamorph. :D High-Jhen is someone I would like to fight too. Last time he was available I had low-rank armor. :lol

Wow, seriously?

Where'd you get them from? 1 from body, 1 from mouth, 1 from quest? All quest?

That's pretty remarkable though!

Leezard

Nicktals said:
Wow, seriously?

Where'd you get them from? 1 from body, 1 from mouth, 1 from quest? All quest?

That's pretty remarkable though!
2 from body carves, 1 from quest reward. I can finally build that Jhen Mohran Hammer, even if it's not better than the Metamorph against anything other than Agnaktor. :lol

Nisa65

Leezard said:

Same thing happened to me last night, got 1 from a carve and two in the quest rewards. I got one on the quest before as well. Not very rare on high rank it seems unlike Alatreon's who after about 20 tries finally dropped a gem for me today. Friend of mine has had 5 in the same span of time, so annoying.

Leezard

Nisa65 said:
Same thing happened to me last night, got 1 from a carve and two in the quest rewards. I got one on the quest before as well. Not very rare on high rank it seems unlike Alatreon's who after about 20 tries finally dropped a gem for me today. Friend of mine has had 5 in the same span of time, so annoying.
Aw, how horrible. :S
Luckily, I got 2 gems during my first 3 Alatreon tries, and 3 Joe gems after 10 of him. The only gems I don't seem have any luck with seems to be the Bird Wyvern gem, the Ian Ruby and the Uragaan Ruby. :lol
It always feels great to receive a gem, unless you have so many you can't use them all.

Top Bottom