• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Chinner

Banned
just started looking into this and it looks quite interesting.

some questions:

1.is this game playable with the wii remote or should i get the pack with the classic controller?

2. is there any story?

3. does this game own?

Chinner said:
just started looking into this and it looks quite interesting.

some questions:

1.is this game playable with the wii remote or should i get the pack with the classic controller?

2. is there any story?

3. does this game own?
1. Playable, but get the pack anyway.

2. Sort of, but it's not important.

3. Unlike no other.

Kyoufu

Stop asking us questions and buy the game!

A fantastic 250 hours spent playing but sadly little to no content remaining after that. :(

kinggroin

Banned
CTLance said:
Thanks Leezard and Jangaroo, that was exactly what I was looking for.

The meat of MH games is self-improvement, so I'm certainly going to practice more. :D Appears I've been using my Hammer the wrong way.

Can someone please elaborate on proper spin attack usage, though? I feel like I'm missing something. Crappy raw damage, huge sharpness decrease, lengthy unstoppable animation versus... uh... lots of hits? If I want lots of hits I equip a SnS, right? I simply have no use at all for this attack.

Oh well. Just shows how much of a beginner I still am. I swear, I'm better with a GS. Still, Peco Flint ... so good. Things go boom.

The spinning move can be canceled into a golf swing... at ANY time (just press your main attack button and hold up).

Considering too, that the spin can give you forward momentum, it can be useful say underwater where you're just a few feet away and want to get right into the fray with an attack. Just remember to launch the golf swing before the animation ends (it'll let you evade almost immediately after the swing).

So yeah, believe it or not, there are times where it's useful

Another great combo with the hammer (using Wiimote and nunchuck), is to start the charge but immediately press A (main attack) while holding the wiimote upwards, the moment you glow. Hold that orientation, and spam A. You'll get in about 6 hits and finish with a ground pound and golf swing!

Last, if you want to dash right into a monster WITH an attack other than spinning, just hold the charge to level 1 (about 1 second) and let it go without pressing anything. This'll launch you in with an uppercut swing or side attack depending on orientation. From there, if you have time you can chain right into a bunch of smaller moves that'll either end in groun pound or golf swing.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
So I started on the Deviljho Event quest and on my first two runs, I got a gem each. Holy crap, it's like the game decided to ease up on the drop rate or something. I finally got my five seals so I guess I'll make the event GS after I work on making Anguish(P). On a side note, I finally reached HR50 so I have to do the Ala urgent. Any tips?

Leezard

Jangaroo said:
So I started on the Deviljho Event quest and on my first two runs, I got a gem each. Holy crap, it's like the game decided to ease up on the drop rate or something. I finally got my five seals so I guess I'll make the event GS after I work on making Anguish(P). On a side note, I finally reached HR50 so I have to do the Ala urgent. Any tips?
You have a higher drop rate on the gem during the event quest.

Jangaroo

Leezard said:
You have a higher drop rate on the gem during the event quest.
Yeah, I was on the wiki and I noticed that. Oh wells, guess I'm just going to have farm this event as much as I can.

Yeah, I did Devil Event just a single time and got it's Gem as a capture reward!

Also, I'm getting tired of waiting for Devil Arena Challenge. :/

Kard8p3

So..I fought Jho for the very first time today. I have to say, it's definitely a thrill fighting him. I think he is my favorite monster.

botticus

Kard8p3 said:
So..I fought Jho for the very first time today. I have to say, it's definitely a thrill fighting him. I think he is my favorite monster.
He has my favorite music, but I'm still rather terrified of the idea of actually fighting him.

Looks like it's almost time for me to tackle my Alatreon urgent (though I haven't done much work on the key quests, so it could be a while). Hopefully people will be around to help, wouldn't be looking forward to dipping into the random servers for that one. From the sound of it, it's one I could expect to be lambasted for "doing it wrong."

botticus

Well, thanks for the introduction to Alatreon, Kyoufu, Lance and Equinox. I'm relatively pleased that I didn't die until causing the game over 30 minutes in. Looking forward to another shot, hopefully tonight. Figure I'll buff up my armor a notch just to help myself a bit.

Teknoman

28243_403753616566_44290891566_4967452_7089044_n.jpg

Enjoying my keyboard, but I wonder if this will work better than wiispeak?

botticus

Teknoman said:
WiiSpeak technically is fine, so I don't think new hardware would improve it any.

Thanks to my GAF breathren for helping me through Alatreon - second time's a charm. Now back to searching out materials.

Disguises

Neo C. said:
Is Euro-GAF still playing the game? I've seldom seen someone on my list, it seems like everyone is playing SMG2 :(
I'll be on a bit more now that Galaxy 2 is partly finished and e3 is over, not sure exactly what time I'll be on though.
Kard8p3 said:
Saw my first one today too, we were hunting barroth in the desert area and I got hit into area 4 from 3 and he was just standing there....waiting....
Teknoman said:
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs312.snc3/28243_403753616566_44290891566_4967452_7089044_n.jpg

Nice, the only reason I'm not using Wii Speak is because of the background noise. If I'm not in the living room playing with my friend who's on MW2 swearing lots, then I'm in my room near a loud road, I'd much prefer a headset
or a quiet room :(.

Remfin

I haven't gotten to play lately but I'm not philosophically opposed to it :lol I should hopefully be back (although not right this moment...probably later today)

Sittori

Banned
(snip)

MY STUPID ROOMMATE WONT STOP PLAYING THIIS>

(snip)

MY STUPID ROOMMATE WONT STOP PLAYING THIIS>

(edit)

MY STUPID ROOMMATE GOT ME PERMBANNED

insin

Neo Member
I feel kind of sad now that Deviljho has been bested enough times for me to create the ridiculous Fiendish Tower lance out of him - he was my last remaining "OH SHIIIIIT!" monster in the game, Rathian being my first many days of playtime ago.

Now when he intrudes in other quests, the terror has been replaced with "hi Joe!"

Mafro

Neo C. said:
Is Euro-GAF still playing the game? I've seldom seen someone on my list, it seems like everyone is playing SMG2 :(
Yeah, I've just been distracted by the World Cup and Galaxy 2

botticus

Now that I have effectively completed the game after getting past Alatreon and not dying 3 times against Joe, I guess it's time to semi-retire my SnS and start learning another weapon as I planned. Leaning towards the lance, though LS is tempting since I have the nice one you get from the story already. Granted, by now I can probably make a pretty decent version of any other weapon as well.

Luckily I still need oodles of Qurupeco Scale+, so I can start practicing on easier high-rank monsters.

I completed all the first quests online with 1 star.. At what point can i start doing 2 star quests? is it based on your HR? I'm HR 6 or 7 there now after completing all the first quests..anyone know? Thanks

botticus

edwardslane said:
I completed all the first quests online with 1 star.. At what point can i start doing 2 star quests? is it based on your HR? I'm HR 6 or 7 there now after completing all the first quests..anyone know? Thanks
Once you reach HR8 and you have completed all the key quests for 1* (which if you've done them all, obviously you have), your urgent quest will open up.

john tv

botticus said:
Now that I have effectively completed the game after getting past Alatreon and not dying 3 times against Joe, I guess it's time to semi-retire my SnS and start learning another weapon as I planned. Leaning towards the lance, though LS is tempting since I have the nice one you get from the story already. Granted, by now I can probably make a pretty decent version of any other weapon as well.

Luckily I still need oodles of Qurupeco Scale+, so I can start practicing on easier high-rank monsters.
Yeah, I think I need to pick up a new weapon or I fear my time with this game may be coming to a close. We beat Deviljho last night (only monster left I haven't beaten, online or offline), and with MHF hitting 360 here in Japan in two days, my incentive to keep going has diminished. Kyoufu, Znarf, etc. -- are you guys still playing? I'll play more tonight if I'm not too wiped when I get home (jet lag is an evil thing).

Someone mentioned Ceadus being an event quest later on this week.

IS THIS A LIE? IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. GOD I WISH IT WAS TRUE.

I hate fighting him alone. SO boring.

botticus

Gamer @ Heart said:
Someone mentioned Ceadus being an event quest later on this week.

IS THIS A LIE? IT SOUNDS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE. GOD I WISH IT WAS TRUE.

I hate fighting him alone. SO boring.
Assuming it isn't a Ceadus+ or something, I think that would excite me.

And john, I would certainly recommend a new weapon if your motivation is waning. Only did a couple missions with the lance, but it makes me play in an entirely different manner. Lots more to learn. Again.

Jangaroo

botticus said:
Assuming it isn't a Ceadus+ or something, I think that would excite me.

And john, I would certainly recommend a new weapon if your motivation is waning. Only did a couple missions with the lance, but it makes me play in an entirely different manner. Lots more to learn. Again.
Lance is an awesome weapon to use just for the fact that it's so precise. You're going to want to make a new armor set though since the desired skills you'll want for a lance is completely different from the SnS.
And what's this about an online Ceadus quest? That would be awesome since it's so boring to fight him alone.
Edit: And I finally beat Ala yesterday, so I guess I'm almost done with the game. I don't feel like farming for charms so once I finish up making the Ala hammer I guess I'll stop playing and move on.

Jangaroo

Tenbatsu said:
'Challenge to God', basically slay Alatreon (increased health and attack power).
Are there any new mats to collect or something for this quest?

Boney

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
'Challenge to God', basically slay Alatreon (increased health and attack power).
bah...
I'll probably be back for Portable 3, although Freedom Unite is tempting.

Edit: Portable 3 is coming right?

Boney said:
I'll probably be back for Portable 3, although Freedom Unite is tempting.

Edit: Portable 3 is coming right?
Portable 3 is coming, but you should get Unite anyway :p.

Last night I played with a friend of a random friend that I think might have been an A.I. His combat style consisted of two states:
state 1: All-out attack mode, a beeline to the boss followed by the stamina draining switch axe axe-dance regardless of anyone he would have to clobber to meet this objective
state 2: Retreat mode, run away and immediately start quaffing potions when his character's health was at or below 25% regardless of anything else that might have been going on until he reached 100% health

I was actually very, very impressed that he didn't deviate once from that plan during the two quests I played before I decided to take a long break. I'm not looking forward to the day I won't be able to hide from random friend and company by using a high rank only city.

Top Bottom