• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

ShinNL

Posting this on a new page to create awareness.

Share your Hunter ID with fellow GAF members (using the correct format as described in the OP would be appreciated):

GAF Community and Online Match-Up Thread

Note: It's recommended NOT to jump into online right away. Unlock the remaining weapon types and get a hang of the objectives and controls first, before you manage to singlehandedly fail a quest for the whole party by dying 3 times.

Woop \o/
21/04/2010 Your order has been dispatched.

2qdtxqs.gif

Luigiv

Soneet said:
Posting this on a new page to create awareness.

Share your Hunter ID with fellow GAF members (using the correct format as described in the OP would be appreciated):

GAF Community and Online Match-Up Thread

Note: It's recommended NOT to jump into online right away. Unlock the remaining weapon types and get a hang of the objectives and controls first, before you manage to singlehandedly fail a quest for the whole party by dying 3 times.
:lol your being really relentless with these posts. How long are you going to keep it up?

ShinNL

Luigiv said:
:lol your being really relentless with these posts. How long are you going to keep it up?
Once I actually have the game I won't have time to refresh this thread every 5 minutes :lol

Come on Amazon.de, start shipping it!

Luigiv

Soneet said:
Once I actually have the game I won't have time to refresh this thread every 5 minutes :lol

Come on Amazon.de, start shipping it!
Fair enough, sounds like a plan. Hopefully EB will break the street date for my pre-order (happened with Madworld so I'm hopeful).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DragonGirl said:
I have a similar problem with the nunchuck. The camera doesn't get loopy but the character will move forward on its own. I don't know if it's a problem specific to that remote or 'chuck but it acts up if the connecting cord has been pulled on. Unplug - replug fixes the problem immediately.

hehe... this is an issue affecting any analog stick on any controller or gamepad ever. It's just an idiosyncrasy of the format. Sometime everybody needs a replug.

gotee12

hiro4 said:
Just checked the Nintendo website and it said you just have to register your code.
So I guess we did the right thing and now the only thing we can do is wait.
I didn't see the usual Club Nintendo leaflet w/ code in my copy. All that I had inside the case was the instruction manual. Am I missing something painfully obvious in that box?

Luigiv said:
Must be a loose connection on your Wiimotes expansion port. Well I guess that would count as a malfunction, wouldn't it.

Malfunction yes. I think that would not even be in question. The difference is you were suggesting human error (don't push the analog while starting up, it messes with calibration) while I simply pointed out the problem could be mechanical.

Luigiv

DragonGirl said:
Malfunction yes. I think that would not even be in question. The difference is you were suggesting human error (don't push the analog while starting up, it messes with calibration) while I simply pointed out the problem could be mechanical.
Fair enough, the mechanical issue slipped my mind, hence my backtrack.
I'm just a little edgy because I have to wait an extra week for the game.

epmode

Is there any way to add a monster to your monster list using only the Classic Controller Pro? It's pretty annoying to have to dig out the wiimote for that crap.

Took down Barroth! Failed twice using my axe so I switched my lance and it was much easier. I'm glad it took so long to hit the first serious difficulty spike. They were much more severe and frequent in the previous games.

DragonGirl said:
Just to clarify, I was not insinuating that Rune Factory inspired Monster Hunter in any way. It's just that I played Rune Factory long before I played Monster Hunter (Tri being my introduction). People typically compare things to their own prior experiences regardless of when one or the other was released.
Oh, of course. I could have done a better job wording my previous post, as it sounds more jerkish than I'd intended, so apologies for that. Yours was one of the few reasonable posts on the subject that I've seen so I figured I'd use it as a springboard for my little rant, which was a mistake. Probably shoulda just avoided quoting altogether. Oh well!

birdchili

the remote peripheral connection stinks immensely. both of my remotes are unusable with peripherals now, and they never worked properly: no detection of nunchuk, auto-move in various directions, etc... unplug/replug sometimes works. rubbing alcohol/q-tip scour of the connections occasionally buys some time too.

Luigiv said:
Fair enough, the mechanical issue slipped my mind, hence my backtrack.
I'm just a little edgy because I have to wait an extra week for the game.

Aww, that sucks. I've had mine since Monday and am currently stylin' in a Great Jaggi hat. Haven't stuck my toe online yet.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Oh, of course. I could have done a better job wording my previous post, as it sounds more jerkish than I'd intended, so apologies for that. Yours was one of the few reasonable posts on the subject that I've seen so I figured I'd use it as a springboard for my little rant, which was a mistake. Probably shoulda just avoided quoting altogether. Oh well!

No problem. Credit where credit is due. I just think more people should play Rune Factory Frontier. How else do I get my Female Lead sequel?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
epmode said:
Is there any way to add a monster to your monster list using only the Classic Controller Pro? It's pretty annoying to have to dig out the wiimote for that crap.

From what I hear, no, not at all, which is weird stuff.

Here's a question:

Do you have to be on a certain firmware to be able to play this online?

Zarovitch

Last night me and my friend play online and laugh at us, cause we fail to find all
the mushroom we need for the first quest. Worst mushroom hunter ever! :lol

Do the mission we have done online are register on the serveur to remember which
one left to complete?

Gwanatu T

The changes that Capcom made are perfect. They take what everyone seemed to complain about in the reviews (that the hardcore generally didn't care about) and fixed it or offered alternatives (i.e. the control schemes). The result is essentially the perfect Monster Hunter, and one where I've seen quite a lot of people pick the game up as a result, including people that hated the first 2(ish). I really can't wait to play online this weekend, as my quick stint in to the online world was impressive, as the lobby is absolutely HUGE and very easy to use. I'm on there as Gwanatu, although I'll have to wait to post my ID when I'm at home.

Hawkian said:
From what I hear, no, not at all, which is weird stuff.

Here's a question:

Do you have to be on a certain firmware to be able to play this online?

I would assume 4.2 but there's noway for me to tell because I'm on it. The Wiimote pointing thing is weird, and makes it quite hectic at times to try and get all those log files. The most stressful one for me so far was trying to get the Felynes, although I had some Felvyne with me to protect my items.

Tenbatsu

Van Owen said:
Gah, this is ridiculous. I hate the black bars!
You guys are lucky, the black bars make the game even better looking than the japanese version. My friend said its a smart move by Capcom, need to ask him tomorrow on the reason behind it.

epmode said:
Nope only via wii remote.

Zarovitch said:
Do the mission we have done online are register on the serveur to remember which one left to complete?
In your save file.

Lenardo

Banned
Got this yesterday with my kids

ended up buying 3 wii games, the bundle of MH3, spyborgs (surprisingly good if you like action brawlers, graphics are good, animations are good etc my kids love it-and its 16 dollars new) and we cheer2 for the daughter...

son played this from ~7 til 9:30 last night and i played it from ~11:30 til 2am

we both like it a lot, graphics are excellent.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Argh. Hey new guys. Stop with the Super Pounding when the rest of the group is near.

Now I remember why I hate Hammers in multiplayer. :lol

JRPereira

Played a few hours last night - haven't even gotten to dos jaggi yet, but it's pretty good. The game isn't going to shine until I get to kill something something that fights back. I got stuck dealing with some work issues really late and couldn't really sit down to enjoy it.

It took me a while to figure out that the charge after the great sword spank was just to hit and hold X again. I kept thinking I needed to attempt a charged upswing. Pretty cool move - I could see myself KOing a monster only to follow with one insane charged attack.

Today I ended up drinking a sick co-worker's beverage in the hopes of getting a few days off so I can play uninterrupted. Hopefully I come down with the sickness cause I've been waiting for this game since last year.

forrest

formerly nacire
Seraphis Cain said:
Argh. Hey new guys. Stop with the Super Pounding when the rest of the group is near.

Now I remember why I hate Hammers in multiplayer. :lol

You know, I was gonna ask about this awhile back. I've played plenty of MH, but never multiplayer. What types of friendly fire are there and what are the effects of it? Do all attacks affect other players? Do these attacks take health away from you or just stun/knock you down? I've always used great swords which have all kinds of range, especially the horizontal attack, so I'm a bit worried about adjusting the weapon style to multiplayer.

Gino

Picked it up yesterday and played a couple hours last night. Sticking with the sword and shield so far. I like being able to attack quickly.

Certainly takes a while to get used to the controls but I'm getting there. Can't wait to fight something bigger than these jaggis.

sammy

played this for hours and hours last night! got a good chunk done diving into it, ready to finish off 3star quests.

this game is amazing! can't believe I got some MH waiting for me back home when i get out of work.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
nacire said:
You know, I was gonna ask about this awhile back. I've played plenty of MH, but never multiplayer. What types of friendly fire are there and what are the effects of it? Do all attacks affect other players? Do these attacks take health away from you or just stun/knock you down? I've always used great swords which have all kinds of range, especially the horizontal attack, so I'm a bit worried about adjusting the weapon style to multiplayer.

Yeah the attacks don't damage you, they just knock you back. Hammers and Long Swords are the worst about it, I've found. The Hammer's super pound sends you FLYING. I *think* the GS's full charge swing does too.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Wow, switching controls to Classic 1 is so much better. I assumed classic 2 was made for the new controller, but apparently it's made for people who want to suck.

Having the view controls on a stick coupled with having the attacks on a button is the best. I can't believe I put 3 hours into the game using the right stick does attacks method.

A few questions:

In this game, do you develop a jack of all trades character, or do you have to stick with one type of weapon? Should I be investing in lances, long swords, bow guns, etc? Or will I just be wasting my money and I should just concentrate on one core weapon?

oracrest

Can you jump online right off the bat?

I played through the 2 star quests, and haven't seen anything yet.

Do you pick online/offline when you load up your character?

Tenbatsu

FlyinJ said:
Wow, switching controls to Classic 1 is so much better. I assumed classic 2 was made for the new controller, but apparently it's made for people who want to suck.
You talking about me?:lol

seipherzero

Neo Member
nacire said:

Yea, you "flinch" when you get hit by friendly fire. So if you're in the middle of attacking and your long-sword fellow hunter goes ape-shit with the spirit combo (or hammer users and superpound---- or golf swing lol), it will interrupt you. Haven't experienced any Tri online play yet, but I'm assuming it's the same.

I've saved a couple of people by golf-swinging them out of the way of danger (MHFU) however, although unintentional :lol

edit: beaten

Raelson

It's gonna take a long time to get used to the graphics... They aren't necessarily bad but i hate the bloom so much. The PSP versions seemed so much crisper.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
FlyinJ said:

Having the view controls on a stick coupled with having the attacks on a button is the best. I can't believe I put 3 hours into the game using the right stick does attacks method.

A few questions:

In this game, do you develop a jack of all trades character, or do you have to stick with one type of weapon? Should I be investing in lances, long swords, bow guns, etc? Or will I just be wasting my money and I should just concentrate on one core weapon?

About the controls, CC2 style is basically the old MH1/MH2 setup from the PS2. It's for people who never played the PSP versions, I suppose. CC1 controls are more like the PSP controls.

As for the character question, it depends on your personal play style. Myself, I like to be varied. I use a bit of everything (except, humorously enough, the four weapons in MHFU that were removed for Tri). But I know quite a few people who pick one weapon and stick to it through the whole game.

ShinNL

I don't have Tri yet but some annoying stuff in the previous versions... (striked out non Tri stuff)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20198016&postcount=2634
Soneet said:
Stop hit canceling my hammer charge.
Stop hitting me right before I finish my triple pound.
Stop super pounding the whole team.
Stop pushing/trapping me into the monster with your LS combos.
Stop upswinging me with a GS.
Stop flashing monsters who go crazy and random when flashed.
Stop sending me flying with that lance charge attack.
Don't just leech by standing in a safe area so we HR up it all for you.
Use a potion when you're near death instead of risking a death, thus risking the mission.
Don't take all the rations in the box for yourself.
Don't keep the monster busy by yourself when everyone is waiting at the trap we put, even after beaconing several times.
Don't wake up the monster that has been put to sleep if you don't have the strongest single weapon attack.

Arpeggio

Banned
You know how this game was originally being developed for the PS3?

Well, after playing it for a while both last night and this morning, I can confidently say that this game would have been SO MUCH BETTER on the PS3.

JRPereira

FlyinJ said:

A few questions:

If I remember correctly, classic 2 was how the PS2 monster hunter games had it set up.

I love me a good greatsword, but in MHFU when I was fighting narugakaruga or khezu they just screamed for some lance action.

Insaniac

bought the bone lance and it is a lot of fun :lol

Also i never realized that you could knock kelbi unconscious making harvesting their horns a lot easier

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Arpeggio said:

Well, after playing it for a while both last night and this morning, I can confidently say that this game would have been SO MUCH BETTER on the PS3.

Huh.

Arpeggio said:

Ya... Do us all a favor and don't bother posting in here anymore.

JRPereira

Insaniac said:
bought the bone lance and it is a lot of fun :lol

Also i never realized that you could knock kelbi unconscious making harvesting their horns a lot easier

They're the first thing I ever knocked out with the GS slap.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Arpeggio said:

1253174620520.gif

Teknoman

Arpeggio said:

jrehk6.gif

Speevy

Banned
Arpeggio said:

Wow, that's...yeah.

Not very subtle.

VAIL

Arpeggio said:

Well, thanks for sharing....

ShinNL

Arpeggio said:

If you post a photo of you holding the game disc with a Post It with your GAF username and a smiley face I'll forgive you.

farnham said:
probably has to do with a reason that begins with the letter H and ends with the letter D

I could be misremembering what I read so take this with a few grains of salt, but I recall reading one reason Capcom switched from PS3 to Wii for MH3 was cost. The cost of developing this game for PS3/any HD system was prohibitive. If this is true then the only reason we have Monster Hunter Tri at all is because the Wii offered an alternative to an HD system.

Can anyone here confirm this?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DragonGirl said:
I could be misremembering what I read so take this with a few grains of salt, but I recall reading the reason Capcom switched from PS3 to Wii for MH3 was cost. The cost of developing this game for PS3/any HD system was prohibitive. If this is true then the only reason we have Monster Hunter Tri at all is because the Wii offered an alternative to an HD system.

Can anyone here confirm this?

fixed and confirmed

Top Bottom