• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

TunaLover

Question: In single player mode, can I go to other places assigned to missions only? There are really beautifull places that I wish revisit, but I only can access to them via mission (or at least that's what I know so far)

TunaLover said:
Question: In single player mode, can I go to other places assigned to missions only? There are really beautifull places that I wish revisit, but I only can access to them via mission (or at least that's what I know so far)
Moga Woods/D. Island is the only place you can go to if you're not on a quest. There are "free quests", but they're still quests that have time limits and a limited number of faints/"deaths" allowed.

TunaLover

Lance Bone Path said:
Moga Woods/D. Island is the only place you can go to if you're not on a quest. There are "free quests", but they're still quests that have time limits and a limited number of faints/"deaths" allowed.
oh, that's sad =(, I was hoping sail to other places further in the game. How do I access to this free quests?

TunaLover said:
oh, that's sad =(, I was hoping sail to other places further in the game. How do I access to this free quests?
I think they might actually be called free hunts. My bad. There are offline and online versions of those quests.

They're basically like the other quests. You unlock them when you unlock the quest tier they belong to.

Boney

Banned
TunaLover said:
They're called Harvest Tours, which 5 mins in, you can opt to end the quest and get what mined.

TunaLover

Boney said:
They're called Harvest Tours, which 5 mins in, you can opt to end the quest and get what mined.
It's the same as Paw Pass? I choose a mission, I spend 5 mins, go to check the blue box and there nothing like a pass inside =/

I'm doing something wrong

Boney

Banned
TunaLover said:
It's the same as Paw Pass? I choose a mission, I spend 5 mins, go to check the blue box and there nothing like a pass inside =/

I'm doing something wrong
Yeah those, after the notification, a new item appears in the blue box, a ticket. You take it and put it in the red box. Mission over.

TunaLover

Nothing happen after 5 mins. in a quest, no notification, no ticket in the blue box =/

EDIT: Ah those are special quest... anyway how I access to them?

Paw Pass and Harvest Tour quests are the same thing. After five minutes a SUPPLIES DELIVERED notification should pop up on the screen, and that's when you can deliver the Paw Pass Ticket and end the quest.

EDIT: the quests are literally called Harvest Tour: [insert location name here]. Only those quests have Paw Passes.

Nicktals

Banned
Alright GAF Armor Experts...This was driving me CRAZY earlier.

Can someone please help me get these skills: Critical Draw, Sharpness +1, and HG Earplugs. The most relevant talisman's I have are Critical draw + 5, and handicraft + 3.

Anyone?

EDIT: Also, I should add that I want to do this while AVOIDING sharpness down (Blunt Edge). And also, if possible, avoiding using the Helios Helmet part (so I can avoid having to farm Ceadeus for another deep dragongem.)

Poyunch

TunaLover said:
Nothing happen after 5 mins. in a quest, no notification, no ticket in the blue box =/

EDIT: Ah those are special quest... anyway how I access to them?
Just keep advancing through the game. They appear like normal quests just advance to the next set of quests until you see some. The only area that doesn't have a Harvest Tour is the Volcano.

Insayne

Hello Gaf :)

I am wondering how I can get lagiacrus horns?

What weapon/gear is recommended? Whether I cap or kill, I don't get any. I tried hitting his head but he dies before the horns break :(

Any advice would help :)

(I play solo mostly)

Tenbatsu

Nicktals said:
Alright GAF Armor Experts...This was driving me CRAZY earlier.

Can someone please help me get these skills: Critical Draw, Sharpness +1, and HG Earplugs. The most relevant talisman's I have are Critical draw + 5, and handicraft + 3.

Anyone?

EDIT: Also, I should add that I want to do this while AVOIDING sharpness down (Blunt Edge). And also, if possible, avoiding using the Helios Helmet part (so I can avoid having to farm Ceadeus for another deep dragongem.)
Diablos Helm(+), Helios Mail (+), Helios Vambraces (+), Helios Coil, Alloy (+)/Uragaan Greaves, Critical draw + 5 Talisman

or

Skull Face, Helios Mail (+), Diablos Arm, Helios Coil, Helios Greaves (+), Critical draw + 5 Talisman

Boney

Banned
Insayne said:
Hello Gaf :)

I am wondering how I can get lagiacrus horns?

What weapon/gear is recommended? Whether I cap or kill, I don't get any. I tried hitting his head but he dies before the horns break :(

Any advice would help :)

(I play solo mostly)
What weapon do you use? You just have to keep hitting his head, that's it. Obviously your best bet are hammers, but GS and Lances should do the trick as well, maybe SA as well.

And seriously dude, jump in, online is like 60% of the game.

Boney

Banned
Tenbatsu, now that you're here, perhaps you could help me a bit.

For my sns set, got the bhabara set+, rathian helmet+ and giggi vambraces +.

And with a Wide Range+6 Amulet, with 2 slots. Is there a way to get Wide Range +2 and recovery up or glutonny(lvl2) to go with it? To act as medic as well.

Nicktals

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Diablos Helm(+), Helios Mail (+), Helios Vambraces (+), Helios Coil, Alloy (+)/Uragaan Greaves, Critical draw + 5 Talisman

or

Skull Face, Helios Mail (+), Diablos Arm, Helios Coil, Helios Greaves (+), Critical draw + 5 Talisman

Ah, thank you so much! I had just started going through and substituting low level stuff...but this saved me a lot of headache!

I'm hopping online now!

Hi all,

2 questions

1. I just got the game, how can I mine? I have a Mega Axe and an Iron Axe and whenever I go to a mining spot it gives me a red x on the icon!

2. Can I equip weapons/armor on the run? or do I have to be in the house?

many thanks :)

oracrest

almokla said:
Hi all,

2 questions

1. I just got the game, how can I mine? I have a Mega Axe and an Iron Axe and whenever I go to a mining spot it gives me a red x on the icon!

2. Can I equip weapons/armor on the run? or do I have to be in the house?

many thanks :)

1. If you hit the far right button, I think it automatically mines if you have axes to use. they have to be on your character, and not just in your box. Otherwise, try specifically equipping the axe in your inventory at the bottom corner of the screen, and that might fix it.

2. You are locked into whatever armor and weapons sets you equipped before the mission starts. Eventually, you will want to attach "armor spheres" to your armor sets. You can do this in the blacksmith shop, and you will get armor spheres just from playing through the missions. This can help a lot with the defense of your armor.

Korigama

Boney said:
What weapon do you use? You just have to keep hitting his head, that's it. Obviously your best bet are hammers, but GS and Lances should do the trick as well, maybe SA as well.

Long Swords also work.

Tenbatsu

Boney said:
Tenbatsu, now that you're here, perhaps you could help me a bit.

For my sns set, got the bhabara set+, rathian helmet+ and giggi vambraces +.

And with a Wide Range+6 Amulet, with 2 slots. Is there a way to get Wide Range +2 and recovery up or glutonny(lvl2) to go with it? To act as medic as well.
Only Wide Range +2 and Recovery Up? That's a lot of combination thou.

I will narrow down to Wide Range +2, Recovery Up, Glutonny +2:

Grace Earring
Lagiacrus Mail (+)/Damascus Mail/Chakra Necklace/HellHunter Jacket
Rhenoplos Vambraces (+)
Gobul Faulds (+)
Gobul Greaves
Wide Range+6 Amulet
Panacea Jewel X3 | Gobbler Jewel X1 | Medicine Jewel X2

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Havent been able to get online mcuh if at all for the last two days, keep getting disconnects.

Dunno if its because of my modem or the servers :| This sucks doubly because I got to the elite quests and single player has become basically worthless now.

Poyunch

Underestimated Jho when I was somewhat low on health and I didn't notice one of my teammates got pinned down again. I should have healed and dunged Jho. We might have had a chance to win. That was just careless. :/ I'm not going to let that stand. It was a great hunt overall ignoring the deaths.

oracrest said:
1. If you hit the far right button, I think it automatically mines if you have axes to use. they have to be on your character, and not just in your box. Otherwise, try specifically equipping the axe in your inventory at the bottom corner of the screen, and that might fix it.

2. You are locked into whatever armor and weapons sets you equipped before the mission starts. Eventually, you will want to attach "armor spheres" to your armor sets. You can do this in the blacksmith shop, and you will get armor spheres just from playing through the missions. This can help a lot with the defense of your armor.

ajim

Ok, loving this game but having a few gripes with the normal sword attacks. Normally I like to run in then do the huge jumping strike, which is fine, but then I like to get into normal combo attacks, which I would think is natural. However, sometimes it just keeps on doing the stupid jumping strikes, even when standing still and not pressing forward on the stick at all, and I've died so many times because it will keep on doing it and I keep missing the monster :S

Is there a way to stop this?

Nicktals

Banned
ajim said:
Ok, loving this game but having a few gripes with the normal sword attacks. Normally I like to run in then do the huge jumping strike, which is fine, but then I like to get into normal combo attacks, which I would think is natural. However, sometimes it just keeps on doing the stupid jumping strikes, even when standing still and not pressing forward on the stick at all, and I've died so many times because it will keep on doing it and I keep missing the monster :S

Is there a way to stop this?

I've only used the SnS a couple of times, but doesn't it depend on whether you have your sword sheathed or not? As in, anytime you have it sheathed and press X (on the CC), you'll do the jump attack?

Also, I'm online now if anyone wants to hunt for a bit.

EDIT:

PounchEnvy said:
Underestimated Jho when I was somewhat low on health and I didn't notice one of my teammates got pinned down again. I should have healed and dunged Jho. We might have had a chance to win. That was just careless. :/ I'm not going to let that stand. It was a great hunt overall ignoring the deaths.

Ugh...yeah that one was frustrating. I was using a lifepowder as soon as i finished laying the trap and saw he was being stomped, and it was just a fraction of a second too late.

Nicktals said:
I've only used the SnS a couple of times, but doesn't it depend on whether you have your sword sheathed or not? As in, anytime you have it sheathed and press X (on the CC), you'll do the jump attack?

No, the jumping strike is dependent on moving the character. If you stand still you just unsheathe. I've never experienced the problem of continually doing the jumping strike. Sounds strange to me.

DragonGirl said:
No, the jumping strike is dependent on moving the character. If you stand still you just unsheathe. I've never experienced the problem of continually doing the jumping strike. Sounds strange to me.
It sounds to me like he's using the wiimote control scheme. It's the only control scheme that makes it easy to accidentally jump strike while the weapon is unsheathed.

It's probably related to the wiimote registering the tilt of the controller and modifying the attack. Personally I think the wiimote control scheme sucks. Classic controller pro all the way. :D

ajim

Lance Bone Path said:
It sounds to me like he's using the wiimote control scheme. It's the only control scheme that makes it easy to accidentally jump strike while the weapon is unsheathed.

It's probably related to the wiimote registering the tilt of the controller and modifying the attack. Personally I think the wiimote control scheme sucks. Classic controller pro all the way. :D
Yeah I am using the wiimote scheme. D'oh. The scheme doesn't bother me at all, but it probably is registering the tilt/A button press at the same time.

Annoying.

There's also an option in the settings, when using the wiimote, to use a swinging motion for the SnS jump strike even if standing still with the weapon unsheathed.

kinggroin

Banned
ajim said:
Yeah I am using the wiimote scheme. D'oh. The scheme doesn't bother me at all, but it probably is registering the tilt/A button press at the same time.

Annoying.

You can turn off motions for unsheathing/attacks

edit: BEATEN!

Been sporting the freestyle mode for quite some time and accidental waggle cost me a game or two during the first few dozen of hours until I had to learn how to use the lance.

Been using CCs ever since but I kinda miss the rumble.

Boney

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
Only Wide Range +2 and Recovery Up? That's a lot of combination thou.

I will narrow down to Wide Range +2, Recovery Up, Glutonny +2:

Grace Earring
Lagiacrus Mail (+)/Damascus Mail/Chakra Necklace/HellHunter Jacket
Rhenoplos Vambraces (+)
Gobul Faulds (+)
Gobul Greaves
Wide Range+6 Amulet
Panacea Jewel X3 | Gobbler Jewel X1 | Medicine Jewel X2
Oh I meant with status attack up and sharpness.

But I guess if I'd better just go all out and be the "el dostor". Man you're amazing.

EDIT: I'd love to get a Grace earing, but it's just not possible now :( Stupid Hunter King coins.

I really enjoy doing the bombing thing and I've got good trapping/bombing armor. Now I'd like to try something different and since we're talking about armor set ups: If I wanted to put together the ultimate support armor with an emphasis in healing others, how should I go about it? Note, I'm not interested in gunning at this time. I'd likely use a sword and shield with this arrangement, maybe a good status affect sword. I already have a Morpheus Knife.

ShinNL

DragonGirl said:
I really enjoy doing the bombing thing and I've got good trapping/bombing armor. Now I'd like to try something different and since we're talking about armor set ups: If I wanted to put together the ultimate support armor with an emphasis in healing others, how should I go about it? Note, I'm not interested in gunning at this time. I'd likely use a sword and shield with this arrangement, maybe a good status affect sword. I already have a Morpheus Knife.
I know Tenbatsu doesn't really like full sets but Qurupeco+ allows Wide Area+2 with Recovery Up. If you want to heal with herbs and potions (the only health healing items shared through wide area) you need at least these skills.

There's also an alternate way to team heal leaving a lot more room for offensive skills: lifepowder. If get that helmet that increases combination % you can carry up to 13 lifepowders and it heals more than a potion through Wide Area+2 with Recovery Up.

If you do that you can still get at least Wide Area+1 so you can heal status effects with berries and seeds.

I've been using Qurupeco+ since I got to high rank and often go back to it to heal teammates for hard quests (like Alatreon).

My next healing set will probably be a lifepowder set (once that sandstorm event hits so I can stock up loooots of mats) with Fast Eating (not sure if it's called that) so I can heal super fast. Fast Eating won't work with Recovery Up since getting that skill removes points from Recovery Up :(

Chinner

Banned
so i posted in this thread ages ago and never really posted again, so i'll update.

got monster hunter 3 like half a month ago along with a few other games. i played about 40 minutes of it but found it to be pretty slow so i got bored and started playing through my backlog. jump to now, i've started playing it now and i'm half way through the quests of quest 1 and i'm starting to really enjoy the style of this.

still, to be kind quest 1 seems kind of tame and slow and i want new arenas. i'm assuming online is where its at?

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
might get back into this game soon. Ive been playing unite, because I never found a decent team to take ala down with, after 5 or so quests with people dropping/dying. I want to at least 100% the quests in this game, but I need a team to take down ala first.

Poyunch

FootNinja said:
might get back into this game soon. Ive been playing unite, because I never found a decent team to take ala down with, after 5 or so quests with people dropping/dying. I want to at least 100% the quests in this game, but I need a team to take down ala first.
Join Nick's room right now!

Nicktals

Banned
Sorry about that francis, kensei, and ruckus. First time i got dropped today. Probably a sign to stop for now. Will probably be back on tonight. Good hunts!

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Nicktals said:
Sorry about that francis, kensei, and ruckus. First time i got dropped today. Probably a sign to stop for now. Will probably be back on tonight. Good hunts!
good hunts. something always happens terribly wrong whenever I try to get my urgent done :p

Next time though!

Poyunch

It seems like everyone disconnected or gave up. I tried with my other account and it didn't work either. Sorry Kensei, Nick, Jason, and you Ruckus/Foot Ninja. That's enough play time anyway. Darn you Capcom!

Top Bottom