• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

I just got a Wii the other other day and was contemplating on getting this. Is the game suitable as a SP only game or does it require to play it online? It's just I am not much of a fan for playing games online atm (due to illness/migraines) and like to prefer sticking to something that's indepth, but can also be played in Single Player only.

Poyunch

I'm gonna be on soon (hopefully). I need to get some Lagi sapphires. I hope there are rooms that aren't full or empty on the GAF server (or else it's time for more fun with randoms! :/)

Nicktals

Banned
well, i'm in recruiting -> wisdom 1 -> gate 40

No one on right now.

EDIT: seriously GAF?

This is the worst I've seen, as far as adtivity on the NA GAF server goes. It's been 30 minutes at least...and there's NO ONE.

insin

Neo Member
The RNG most definitely loved me last night.

Got all the remaining mats I needed (tail, crooked horn, gem) in one go from my first straight-up Ceadeus kill to go straight from the Barbarian Blade to the Barbarian Sharq. Then I had two Blood Sport runs (last day of that in PAL-land, I think) where I got 5 incomplete plans in the reward box.

I verified it by joining a High Royal Ludroth city before I called it a night and getting a Wyvern Stone on the second R. Ludroth we fought.

Love you, RNG. Just give me a worn hammer and a worn lance tonight and we can make sweet, sweet love.

I helped with an Altreon Urgent last night and decided it's time to focus on gathering/fishing/farming because I am cleaned out of, well, everything. I'll be playing in the evening (central time) this week, but I'll mostly be gathering if anyone wants to join me with a little actual hunting on the side. No more Alats for a while though. I need to stock up before I chew through my supplies again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nicktals said:

No one on right now.

This is the worst I've seen, as far as adtivity on the NA GAF server goes. It's been 30 minutes at least...and there's NO ONE.

Every time I check the 'GAF Server', it's always full.

Gino said:
Awesome. Does anyone know if there has been a piracy problem with this game? Did Capcom do anything to block pirates from going online?

So Monster hunter has grown in popularity quite a bit. I see a lot less people online lately though.

I've avoided playing it off my harddrive, because I'm terribly paranoid. I don't think Capcom has done anything to stop piracy in general though.

There's definitely a decrease in the amount of players online, compared to launch, but it's not horrible. Not like I'm having a tough time finding people to quest with. Just a tough time finding people that don't rage quit and grief.

Nicktals said:

No one on right now.

2:20 AM is way past my bed time. I usually stop playing by midnight nowadays.

apujanata

Samurai Penguin said:
I just got a Wii the other other day and was contemplating on getting this. Is the game suitable as a SP only game or does it require to play it online? It's just I am not much of a fan for playing games online atm (due to illness/migraines) and like to prefer sticking to something that's indepth, but can also be played in Single Player only.
Depending on your skill, SP games should last somewhere between 30 - 50 hours.

The 4* and 5* quest are quite difficult.

Going online, your playtime will go into 100hours+. Right now, I am 150hours in, and I am only level 27 on online.

Setvan2734 said:
Arent azure dragongems supposed to be rare? Out of the two Alatreon tails i cut off, i got two...
Don't be fooled by the azure dragongem's description. The actual hardest to obtain Alatreon material is probably the skypiercer (note: broken skypiercers are common, but skypiercers aren't).

Nicktals

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
Don't be fooled by the azure dragongem's description. The actual hardest to obtain Alatreon material is probably the skypiercer (note: broken skypiercers are common, but skypiercers aren't).

True, although getting 2 out of 2 from tails seems pretty rare to me!

I'm hopping on now. Would love to play with some gaffers!

Poyunch

Setvan2734 said:
Arent azure dragongems supposed to be rare? Out of the two Alatreon tails i cut off, i got two...
I hate you. ;_;

Anyway I got 6 Lagia sapphires just today from the event. Man I'm so happy. I have the worst luck with lagi+ mats. I got enough to do everything I wanted with the mats.

Nicktals said:
True, although getting 2 out of 2 from tails seems pretty rare to me!

I'm hopping on now. Would love to play with some gaffers!
Damn we haven't hunted together in a while and I just got off. :(

Nicktals

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
I hate you. ;_;

Anyway I got 6 Lagia sapphires just today from the event. Man I'm so happy. I have the worst luck with lagi+ mats. I got enough to do everything I wanted with the mats.

Damn we haven't hunted together in a while and I just got off. :(

Weird. What's your hunter name again? Because I was on starting at 3 until about 4, then I went offline for a bit because no one was on.

Soroc

OK Gaf, I think its time I jumped in on this game now that I'm wrapping up Red Steel 2 and this little machine deserves more attention then I've given it the last couple years :D

If I get this game tonight or tomorrow should I just go straight multiplayer or solo grind up a bit to be around other ppls level online since most are probably pretty damn jacked out already? :lol

Oh btw this will be my first monster hunter game, I'm going in blind and looking forward to it!

Soroc said:
OK Gaf, I think its time I jumped in on this game now that I'm wrapping up Red Steel 2 and this little machine deserves more attention then I've given it the last couple years :D

If I get this game tonight or tomorrow should I just go straight multiplayer or solo grind up a bit to be around other ppls level online since most are probably pretty damn jacked out already? :lol

Oh btw this will be my first monster hunter game, I'm going in blind and looking forward to it!

Hunter Rank is an online only thing,so you can't grind it offline. But hunter rank doesn't mean anything other than what level of missions you have available. It's all about the equipment, and buying/forging better than starting equipment and gathering some items you'll want, like healing potions offline, might not be a bad idea. I'd recommend killing your first Great Jaggi offline before going on, but it's hardly a requirement. It's just nice to work out how to play the game at your own speed in single player.

markatisu

DragonGirl said:
I'd recommend killing your first Great Jaggi offline before going on, but it's hardly a requirement. It's just nice to work out how to play the game at your own speed in single player.

Yeah if you kill a Great Jaggi and Qurupeco offline it will make your easing into online hunting smoother I think, that way when you come online you can learn how to take down things like Rathian in a group and then go offline and slaughter them.

Cool runs with Jason, Nick and Steven.

S-rank on Ura 6:48 with Jason, and back to back gem loot/carve from los, ian, ura, jho & ala. Don't have any use for these but still an awesome gem streak.

Alien Manobo said:
Cool runs with Jason, Nick and Steven.

S-rank on Ura 6:48 with Jason, and back to back gem loot/carve from los, ian, ura, jho & ala. Don't have any use for these but still an awesome gem streak.

Indeed, so far every time i did Ala i have gotten a gem, hoping i can continue it with Joe, :lol

udivision

Quick question, how do I get monsters to drop items like "Jaggi Hide+"?

I see stuff like that listed on the wiki, but no explanation.

udivision said:
Quick question, how do I get monsters to drop items like "Jaggi Hide+"?

I see stuff like that listed on the wiki, but no explanation.

Well, you have to be online first, and you need to be HR31 or higher, doing the 4 star and higher quests.

Once you hit HR31, you become "Upper Rank" and you basically refight the monsters, except this time, they are stronger, and give the new items, like the + items.

Poyunch

Man I always miss the fun. :/

Nicktals said:
Weird. What's your hunter name again? Because I was on starting at 3 until about 4, then I went offline for a bit because no one was on.
It's Francis. :p

Boney said:
what happened? :lol
I don't know some random (or at least a random to me) just came in and posted some quest asking for help. I was okay with that really but I would have liked if he/she asked if anyone was doing anything first. Anyway on the quest the random would constantly ask if anyone had traps and the random wanted to cap but he/she didn't bring any traps or tranqs.

Luckily I brought some in case because it was dual monster quest. I laid a trap because the random wanted me to and it left the area (it made me more agitated but I know I shouldn't blame the other player). We kill the Gobul. Oh it was a Gobul. :p

Next up it was time for Lagiacrus. Still the guy's asking for traps even though he/she saw me lay my only shock trap underwater and Jason said he didn't bring anything before as well. So the Lagi finally gets on land and the random tells everyone to cap. I ask if it's cappable and the player says "yes". I lay my pitfall trap and the lagi falls in. I use some tranqs but it doesn't work. The player doesn't even acknowledge this.

That's really just it. I'm probably overreacting. People who've played with me know I'm not that great so I probably shouldn't be talking. :p

There was another thing. He/she was a hammer user but he never bothered to attack the head. The random would just randomly attack. Sometimes the body (which would make some sense had the monster been on land) but the player seemed to actually be aiming for the tail at some points. :/

jasonng

Soroc said:

I'm in the same boat and I'm looking for newbs to quest with. Let me know when you're up for whatever. Though you probably want to play single player for a little so you'd get the hang of things.

I can't fall asleep and feel like ranting a bit...

I really hate it when a new guy comes in and posts right away, usually happens when I'm in the open servers helping out on 3*s.

Another thing that pisses me off is when people gives out orders like "hit the feet, hit the feet" "cut the tail" "set trap, its weak" when its not even ready, I sometimes get so pissed that I feel obliged to say "I have fuckin guru so stfu noob". More often I just tend to position my Tv's PnP to the lower left screen when a quest starts to avoid such headache.

I hate it when people spam those phrases or gives out orders, like we're some kind of newb lowrank hunter, when it already has been agreed upon pre-quest what needs to be broken/cut for a specific carve/drop.

-end rant

Neo C.

Alien Manobo said:
I really hate it when a new guy comes in and posts right away, usually happens when I'm in the open servers helping out on 3*s.

Another thing that pisses me off is when people gives out orders like "hit the feet, hit the feet" "cut the tail" "set trap, its weak" when its not even ready, I sometimes get so pissed that I feel obliged to say "I have fuckin guru so stfu noob". More often I just tend to position my Tv's PnP to the lower left screen when a quest starts to avoid such headache.

I hate it when people spam those phrases or gives out orders, like we're some kind of newb lowrank hunter, when it already has been agreed upon pre-quest what needs to be broken/cut for a specific carve/drop.

-end rant
That's why you should play with friends if possible.

I had a good time with Fistwell yesterday. Too bad we couldn't get more people, I would like to beat Agnaktor+.

Neo C. said:
That's why you should play with friends if possible.

I had a good time with Fistwell yesterday. Too bad we couldn't get more people, I would like to beat Agnaktor+.

One of the reasons why I just idle in the Gaf server most of the time, til someone drops by my Fishing City to do w/e.

I rarely play nowadays but seeing the empty server makes me feel sad, NA-MhGaf needs more new blood. Nothing much to do end game, and only thing worth doing is helping out people complete their quests .

udivision

Setvan2734 said:
Well, you have to be online first, and you need to be HR31 or higher, doing the 4 star and higher quests.

Once you hit HR31, you become "Upper Rank" and you basically refight the monsters, except this time, they are stronger, and give the new items, like the + items.

Ah, I figured as much. I have 60+ hours on offline and 0 online, so I guess that's what I was missing.

Palmer_v1

PounchEnvy said:
So what are the chances of MH3G? I mean people are already expecting Wii 2 pretty soon.

MH2 as a launch game would be epic. They should package them together so more people can be exposed to the awesomeness of MH

Neo C. said:
Yeah, that was good healthy fun. We had a nice run earlier as well, you, me and Irim.
I'll be on later tonight around 7pm (french time, paris, madrid, etc, UTC+2). Irim and Aya might be around as well.

Boney

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Man that Uragaan was such a pain. :lol
Man.. if it wasn't for that los leaving that area, we would've been so humiliated.

Anyway, a shout to you of course, Nayi, Nick and DragonGirl. Had a blast, playing for playing is awesome. Even though I suck now.

Oh and Nick died twice against a Rathian.. he's worse than me.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Alien Manobo said:
I can't fall asleep and feel like ranting a bit...

-end rant

Its still better than:

-People hitting the monster when youre trying to capture it
-People not realizing capturing tends to give more loot, nor that you can (and should!) capture monsters on hunt quests
-People not believing that the monster aint weak till they see it it limp. He could be about to die and not limp, you tards

I dont get frustrated when new players do this, but people with 28 hr pulling this shit? Come on.

Even when you're not doing anything important, Tri is so relaxing and fun.

I just dicked around in Moga woods for a few hours, killing anything that had the misfortune to be in my path. Got three Rathian, one Glass Jaggi and a Rathalos in one go. I have no idea why they kept spawning like that.

Because of that, I've gotten all my latest gear (Lagiacrus/Rathalos/Rathian armour sets) maxed. I should probably try and kill that Diablos offline...

PusherT

Created this awsome anti-urragaan set. Tremor resistence + Critical/Punishing draw+ defense up with Barroth Hammer (+20def) just busting uraggans jaw everytime. Its so satiisfying too:D I may knock him out about 4 times a match

Top Bottom