• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Remfin

I still have never seen any reasoning behind either "capture gives more rewards" or "capture gives different rewards." The only easily-observable effect I've seen is capture gives less rewards and no one has ever provided statistics demonstrating anything else...

CTLance

Aw man, I just got wtfpwned by Rathian.

I HAET U, FUTBOL WORLDCUP. I was never that good to begin with, but not playing for a while has thrown my timing completely out of whack. :´(

As far as I understood it it really depends on what mats you're going for, since capturing also means giving up on carving mats from the dead monster body. So while you do get a higher chance of getting more (better) quest rewards for capturing, you're also abandoning body carves at the same time. And some mats apparently are more likely to be carved than rewarded (and the other way around).
But I never really dug into the drop rates too much, so I wouldn't know for sure. I just felt it's more satisfying to capture a monster. :p

I hear tell there was a past Monster Hunter that had an arena mode where you could team up with a monster and fight another monster + hunter team, or something like that? Real or not that sounds pretty cool. It'd be neat to have tamable monsters you could take with you on hunts (None of this Chacha bullshit. I drag him along as semi-useful bait and somebody I can kick.)

Actually, what I would really like is a mode where I can stick a hornless Diablos in an arena with a solid rock floor and two hungry Deviljho. Just so I can sit back and laugh.

Boney

Banned
Nicktals said:
A tiny little one. With pink shoes.
Stop making excuses please.

Tenbatsu said:
You have to capture if you want to set record timing.

Btw how is the sales for the western release? Anyone any idea?
Nobody wanted to answer that in the NPD thread. But I don't think it did better than 30k

DragonGirl said:
(None of this Chacha bullshit. I drag him along as semi-useful bait and somebody I can kick.)

Actually, what I would really like is a mode where I can stick a hornless Diablos in an arena with a solid rock floor and two hungry Deviljho. Just so I can sit back and laugh.
You're way too mean :(

Nicktals

Banned
Sorry about that guys, got disconnected. for some reason it's been terrible lately during the day. I might be back on tonight when it should be better.

EDIT: How'd it end up anyways?

Luigiv

Finally defeated Agnaktor today. Couldn't be bothered continuing to grind for Rathalos plates (Despite the fact it's been about 2 weeks since I last tried), so just went at it in my Lagi Armour.

Died twice and used a lot of potions but I did manage to break almost all his parts (only his fin remained intact). I think I'll wait until I get that Rathalos Plate before taking on my next one solo, though.

Had to deal with a griefer that was more interested in knocking our party into the air than fighting the Barioth. I had to trap it because I knew there was no way I was getting my carves with him around.

apujanata

Finally achieved High Rank yesterday. Tried to go online today, but got network issue 2 times, and gave up.

Anyone else encounter bad network issue more frequently the last few days ? Or is it just me ?

Nicktals

Banned
apujanata said:
Finally achieved High Rank yesterday. Tried to go online today, but got network issue 2 times, and gave up.

Anyone else encounter bad network issue more frequently the last few days ? Or is it just me ?

I have too, although I figured it was just Comcast being shitty.

Boney said:
Wait... you became LBP? :lol
I take a few days off to watch the world cup and/or cartoons and when I catch up on this thread, I return to this? :(

I think I would rather keep watching cartoons, at least till we get some new quests :p. I only have 80 episodes to go.

Palmer_v1

Remfin said:
I still have never seen any reasoning behind either "capture gives more rewards" or "capture gives different rewards." The only easily-observable effect I've seen is capture gives less rewards and no one has ever provided statistics demonstrating anything else...

Just as an example, most of the Rubies, Stones, or Gems cannot be carved from the body. In that case, your best chances of getting these rare drops is to capture the monster.

There are also some items that can ONLY be carved, like Unnerving talons on Gigginox, I think.

You just have to decide what you need the most, and farm accordingly.

I've gotten to the point where Capturing is my default because i've run into the following scenarios repeatedly:

1. Noobs who keeps dying and yet refuse to heal while still going straight for the monster

2. Disconnectors

3. Hunters who talk a big game then bugger off when the going gets tough

I had a guy join a quest to fight a Barroth Early, then he barely did anything, getting killed twice in five minutes. I fought Barroth solo for about 20 solid minutes with his intermittently saying "trap?" while just standing at the edge of the zone. Eventually I got sick of it, ran over to him, and the Barroth crashed into both of us killing him the third time. Jackass.

Disguises

Started playing again after a little break and this is what happens:

*Joins City*

*Starts Quru hunt*

*Quru roars*

*DevilJho appears*

*RUN AHHHHHH*

First Joe encounter, scared me to death especially since he spawned behind me!

Neo C.

Disguises said:

*Joins City*

*Starts Quru hunt*

*Quru roars*

*DevilJho appears*

*RUN AHHHHHH*

Yeah, he is awesome at the first encounter. I'm still in panic whenever he spawns from nowhere. :lol

Disguises said:

*Joins City*

*Starts Quru hunt*

*Quru roars*

*DevilJho appears*

*RUN AHHHHHH*

I had my first DJ encounter last week.

We're fighting Barroth, and another indicator comes on the screen.

"Oh, probably another BarAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Everyone takes off in four directions, and i'm the last one. He flips me into the air taking of 3/4 of my life and shooting me halfway across the zone, and as i'm getting up he's coming right for me. The Missus is screaming in the background "Hurry Deacon, get away! EEEEEEEEEEEE!!" I barely escape intact. Barely.

You've won this round Joe, but I will be back, and I will kill you.

EphNE

Please refrain from making offensive or illegal statements
Dragona Akehi said:
Even when you're not doing anything important, Tri is so relaxing and fun.

I just dicked around in Moga woods for a few hours, killing anything that had the misfortune to be in my path. Got three Rathian, one Glass Jaggi and a Rathalos in one go. I have no idea why they kept spawning like that.

Because of that, I've gotten all my latest gear (Lagiacrus/Rathalos/Rathian armour sets) maxed. I should probably try and kill that Diablos offline...

There is something incredibly relaxing about the slaughter of large and initially innocent animals. I wish the Barioth would come to Moga woods and surprise me while I'm foraging. I need to dress in its corpse.

The Diablos, however, has and never will be innocent.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok. I'm coming back after a small hiatus.

Bot, LBP, Jason, you (or anyone else from GAF) going on tonight? I'll be playing late, like around 11pm. My goal is to get either a Lagiacrus plate, or Rathalos ruby. Then, I'm farming DJs.

Boney

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
I take a few days off to watch the world cup and/or cartoons and when I catch up on this thread, I return to this? :(

I think I would rather keep watching cartoons, at least till we get some new quests :p. I only have 80 episodes to go.
Just kidding man ;)
I just miss you, come back

Nicktals

Banned
Well, after getting disconnected 3 minutes into the Ala fight I gave up for now. It usually gets much better in the evenings, so I'll get back on later tonight.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I had my first DJ encounter last week.

We're fighting Barroth, and another indicator comes on the screen.

"Oh, probably another BarAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Everyone takes off in four directions, and i'm the last one. He flips me into the air taking of 3/4 of my life and shooting me halfway across the zone, and as i'm getting up he's coming right for me. The Missus is screaming in the background "Hurry Deacon, get away! EEEEEEEEEEEE!!" I barely escape intact. Barely.

You've won this round Joe, but I will be back, and I will kill you.

Enjoy the fear. It's the saddest feeling when Joe just becomes another monster...a really tough monster quite capable of owning even veterans, but the fear of him goes away. I miss the days when the mere sight of him would send me fleeing for my virtual life. I enjoyed having the piss scared out of me as I ran for it, daring not to look behind me because I knew he was breathing down my neck as I sprinted for safety, stamina bar crashing at an alarming rate. Savor that adrenaline rush of abject terror for as long as it lasts.

Boney

Banned
DragonGirl said:
Enjoy the fear. It's the saddest feeling when Joe just becomes another monster...a really tough monster quite capable of owning even veterans, but the fear of him goes away. I miss the days when the mere sight of him would send me fleeing for my virtual life. I enjoyed having the piss scared out of me as I ran for it, daring not to look behind me because I knew he was breathing down my neck as I sprinted for safety, stamina bar crashing at an alarming rate. Savor that adrenaline rush of abject terror for as long as it lasts.
I want my Ala sized joe.

Nicktals

Banned
I'm on now. Where is everyone? It's been so busy lately, I expected a few rooms full!

Anyways, I'm on, in the usual place. Join me!

botticus

DragonGirl said:
They did a really good job with Joe, given his absolutely silent entries. Once we were fighting a Barioth or Baggi, something in one of the caves. Suddenly I hear this rustling, and see this thing moving at the top of my screen. I was like "Oh, must be a Giggi wing or.... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD RUN" as I realize it's Joe's jaw hovering over my head.

I think it'll be a while before I can face him without my lance and shield lowered, one step forward at a time.

Many of you people must not have jobs (I'm free weekends and sometimes evenings, that's it...and now, Fridays). I'll play again when there's a sandstorm or my Wii keyboard arrives. Whichever comes first.

Zalasta

I really despise this game sometimes. My first and only Wyvern Stone dropped at HR58, and I have yet to see a Rath or Ura Ruby ever. I can't even get my hands on the Bird Wyvern Gem consistently (only ever gotten 2). I'm used to grinding for loot/drops in MMO, but MH's percentage seems to take it to the extreme. Luckily I play the game casually rather than driving myself crazy on getting specific gears, but it still sucks being disappointed hunt after hunt.

Zalasta said:
I really despise this game sometimes. My first and only Wyvern Stone dropped at HR58, and I have yet to see a Rath or Ura Ruby ever. I can't even get my hands on the Bird Wyvern Gem consistently (only ever gotten 2). I'm used to grinding for loot/drops in MMO, but MH's percentage seems to take it to the extreme. Luckily I play the game casually rather than driving myself crazy on getting specific gears, but it still sucks being disappointed hunt after hunt.
Sucks for you; I was trying to get my last Uragaan Carapace for my gunner set but ended up carving my fifth Ruby from his tail instead:lol

MH3 has a funny sense of humour when it comes to giving you things you don't want.

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Sucks for you; I was trying to get my last Uragaan Carapace for my gunner set but ended up carving my fifth Ruby from his tail instead:lol

MH3 has a funny sense of humour when it comes to giving you things you don't want.

One thing that would alleviate that would be the ability to trade with other players objects of equal rareness. That would keep low level hunters from getting stuff they shouldn't have yet while allowing people of similar rank to collect objects they need a bit more easily.

satterfield

BIGTIME TV MOGUL
Would ANYONE be willing to trade for a rare scarab? I need it to upgrade my weapon but I'm not really interested in playing any more of the single-player campaign. Pretty please?

Zalasta

DragonGirl said:
One thing that would alleviate that would be the ability to trade with other players objects of equal rareness. That would keep low level hunters from getting stuff they shouldn't have yet while allowing people of similar rank to collect objects they need a bit more easily.

Or even the ability to obtain gems from NPC by trading in other carved parts. If I killed enough Rathians to get 20 scale+ but no ruby, an option to trade one for the other would be more welcomed than the current implementation.

Zalasta said:
Or even the ability to obtain gems from NPC by trading in other carved parts. If I killed enough Rathians to get 20 scale+ but no ruby, an option to trade one for the other would be more welcomed than the current implementation.

Agreed. If the game sticks us with random drops, then more than one way to obtain a rare drop would be nice. Trade with other players, trade with NPCs.

DragonGirl said:
Many of you people must not have jobs (I'm free weekends and sometimes evenings, that's it...and now, Fridays). I'll play again when there's a sandstorm or my Wii keyboard arrives. Whichever comes first.
Next sandstorm is July 19. New quests (arena, event) arrive July 18.

There's a black leather pants event quest.

DragonGirl said:
Agreed. If the game sticks us with random drops, then more than one way to obtain a rare drop would be nice. Trade with other players, trade with NPCs.

I'm glad there's no trading. Trading leads to duping, duping ruins the purpose.

satterfield said:
Would ANYONE be willing to trade for a rare scarab? I need it to upgrade my weapon but I'm not really interested in playing any more of the single-player campaign. Pretty please?

Uh, you can catch those pretty easily in the Volcano. Just do the Uroktor Mission.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm glad there's no trading. Trading leads to duping, duping ruins the purpose.

In other words, gaming/cheating the system. As if that doesn't already happen. Leaving out a feature simply because it might open a door for cheating is not reason to leave out a feature. It's a reason to fix a problem.

DragonGirl said:
In other words, gaming/cheating the system. As if that doesn't already happen. Leaving out a feature simply because it might open a door for cheating is not reason to leave out a feature. It's a reason to fix a problem.

Not saying it doesn't happen now, but that type of trading can easily ruin the system. Duping killed Phantasy Star Online completely. At least cheating in MH isn't as rampant as it was in PSO, and trading is what opened the door for that.

Boney said:
Nobody wanted to answer that in the NPD thread. But I don't think it did better than 30k

It was actually no. 11 in the NPD the month it released, and IIRC the best estimate of sales was about 125k for the month. It's got to be at least 150k now, if not 200k.

Boney

Banned
Blast Processing said:
It was actually no. 11 in the NPD the month it released, and IIRC the best estimate of sales was about 125k for the month. It's got to be at least 150k now, if not 200k.
I know, I meant for May.

And wow that video is great!

Just realized, if Link were to become a playable character in future MH's, bam succes in the west. Like SCII.

Haunted

Sammy Samusu said:
fucking WOAH

DragonGirl said:
Nah, I'd much rather have them improve drop rates, or ensure drops after a certain amount of kills, or ensure drops if certain prerequisites are met during the hunt.

The shitty drop rates of later ranks go above and beyond trying to legitimately extend the game's longevity and straight into bullshit grinding territory.

Top Bottom