• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Tenbatsu

Not sure where to post this, but new stuff in MHP3rd:

Weapons summary:

Great Sword / Single handed sword (sword & shield) / Lance / Tachi (Samurai Sword) / Light Bowgun
- No changes, retains same abilities from MH3

Hammer
- All attacks will now have KO abilities unlike MH3 where only some attacks have it.

Slash Axe
- Added poison and stamina destruction bottles
- You can now chain the infinite side swings to the overhead attack

Bow
- Stamina destruction bottles added
- New attack, High Angle Shot. Allows the player to shoot a bunch of arrows upwards and it lands on the enemy, dealing damage. While aiming, a red circle on the ground will indicate where the arrows will land. High angle shots are available in spread, concentrated and burst shots.

Gunlance
- Added quick reload which you can perform after you use a regular shot attack. Right after using quick reload, you can chain it to a full burst attack.

Hunting Horn
- Attack mode and horn blowing mode are now combined. That means, each attack you do will perform different notes and once you collect the right combination of notes, you will get the bonus power up.
- New attack which lets you attack the front and back.

Heavy Bowgun
- You can now crouch to fire. You can't move while crouching but this lets you fire multiple shots at once.

Dual Swords
- New Kijin (power up) mode & gauge added that works like the Tachi gauge
- You can build the gauge by attacking while in regular Kijin mode. When full, you go into the new powered up Kijin mode.
-While in the powered up Kijin mode, your attack and evasion speed increases until the gauge runs out.

Courtesy of SoujiroSeta from Gamefaqs.

Edit: Bulldrome's back!

Boney

Banned
Sammy Samusu said:
I'm not sure if I'll play Monster Hunter 3 on PSP, I'd rather invest my time playing Freedom Unite.
I was under the impression it was going to be quite different, was I wrong?

Hm I might as well try and find FU then.

Also new info sounds sexy, although, how are the underwater battles gonna work?

Claw Style?

Boney said:
I was under the impression it was going to be quite different, was I wrong?

Hm I might as well try and find FU then.

Also new info sounds sexy, although, how are the underwater battles gonna work?

Claw Style?

There are no underwater battles, The maps are edited to remove those areas

Nicktals

Banned
Oh, Ace (boney)...you left before i could tell you...but you can get a hunter coin starting july 18, according to the wiki.

It's a high peco and barroth. S is < 10 minutes.

EDIT: Also the 2 Joe event starts on the 18th! That's going to be a blast. I couldn't give 2 shits about the reward, but still...it'll be fun :D

Boney

Banned
Nicktals said:
Oh, Ace (boney)...you left before i could tell you...but you can get a hunter coin starting july 18, according to the wiki.

It's a high peco and barroth. S is < 10 minutes.
FUCK YEAH!

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Tenbatsu said:

Weapons summary:

Great Sword / Single handed sword (sword & shield) / Lance / Tachi (Samurai Sword) / Light Bowgun

Hammer
- All attacks will now have KO abilities unlike MH3 where only some attacks have it.

Slash Axe

Bow
- New attack, High Angle Shot. Allows the player to shoot a bunch of arrows upwards and it lands on the enemy, dealing damage. While aiming, a red circle on the ground will indicate where the arrows will land. High angle shots are available in spread, concentrated and burst shots.

Gunlance
- Added quick reload which you can perform after you use a regular shot attack. Right after using quick reload, you can chain it to a full burst attack.

Hunting Horn
- Attack mode and horn blowing mode are now combined. That means, each attack you do will perform different notes and once you collect the right combination of notes, you will get the bonus power up.

Heavy Bowgun
- You can now crouch to fire. You can't move while crouching but this lets you fire multiple shots at once.

Dual Swords
- You can build the gauge by attacking while in regular Kijin mode. When full, you go into the new powered up Kijin mode.
-While in the powered up Kijin mode, your attack and evasion speed increases until the gauge runs out.

Any more info about the game? From the early images I thought it was a new setting? (it looked like a samurai village or something) You could also make a new thread :)

Tenbatsu

Raging Spaniard said:
Any more info about the game? From the early images I thought it was a new setting? (it looked like a samurai village or something) You could also make a new thread :)
No new info for the 2 new areas, just introducing new moves of the wolf monster and some Felyne armors. Mainly weapons thou.

FootNinja said:
Wait so to be clear. The freedom trailer from a while back with the badger looking thing is going to be an expansion with subtractions of tri?
Yap. No underwater combat, no Lagi/Gobul, no 3 parts gunnery system. However there are new contents like new areas, monsters etc

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Tenbatsu said:
No new info for the 2 new areas, just introducing new moves of the wolf monster and some Felyne armors. Mainly weapons thou.

Yap. No underwater combat, no Lagi/Gobul, no 3 parts gunnery system. However there are new contents like new areas, monsters etc
Sounds good. I preferred the old gunning system and I'll be happy as long as they include the separate gunner bag. Wonder how many old monsters will be in this version though. Any from the previous MH's or only tri+new monsters.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:

Weapons summary:

Hammer

Slash Axe

Bow

Gunlance

Hunting Horn

Heavy Bowgun

Dual Swords

That all sounds pretty good. I'm still undecided on whether to get F3 or not. I don't like to double dip but god damn does MH tempt me to do so.

ShinNL

Luigiv said:
That all sounds pretty good. I'm still undecided on whether to get F3 or not. I don't like to double dip but god damn does MH tempt me to do so.
What do you mean by double dip?

The changes sound awesome (Hunting Hooooorn). There better be a Tri G with the same changes sometime soon ._.

Just wondering though: is there a chance for a 3DS version? If they do plan to release it I hope they announce it before releasing the PSP version (which I'll buy ASAP).

Luigiv

Soneet said:

The changes sound awesome (Hunting Hooooorn). There better be a Tri G with the same changes sometime soon ._.

Just wondering though: is there a chance for a 3DS version? If they do plan to release it I hope they announce it before releasing the PSP version (which I'll buy ASAP).
Well given that F3 should be to Tri as F2 was to Dos, I'd say that's enough over lap to count as double dipping. Personally I'm most intrigued by the Bows :D.

Niblet

Tenbatsu said:

Weapons summary:

Hammer

Slash Axe

Bow

Gunlance

Hunting Horn

Heavy Bowgun

Dual Swords

That all sounds fantastically yummy. I so cant wait to play it. at first I was peeved with no lance BUT 2 seconds later I realized Tri lances are fucking dope as they are so it is all good.

Soneet said:

You better B E L I E V E. It is more of a when question than a will it. I am hotly anticipating a MH3DS. If I had to guess no sooner than TGS although a reveal next year seems more likely.

Soneet said:

Maybe if the 3DS version supports playing online via infrastructure I'll consider it. If it's same room, ad-hoc, I'll always go for the PSP version.

Without infrastructure, as long as Nintendo doesn't have a tunneling service comparable to adhoc party, I won't have any interest in getting the 3DS version. I don't really feel like trying to get xlink kai working on my home machine :/.

I kinda think that it should be possible to get something like AHP to work on the wii, if Nintendo has any interest whatsoever in doing so.

So, does the weapon selection change every game? I find it kind of weird that they would have more than one ranged weapon in previous games and only the bowgun in MH3.

DeaconKnowledge said:
So, does the weapon selection change every game? I find it kind of weird that they would have more than one ranged weapon in previous games and only the bowgun in MH3.
There are three types of bowguns in Tri. There were only two types in the Freedom 2 and Unite. So, technically the number of ranged weapons hasn't changed.

Lance Bone Path said:
There are three types of bowguns in Tri. There were only two types in the Freedom 2 and Unite. So, technically the number of ranged weapons hasn't changed.

I suppose, but in TRI the only difference in Bowguns is weight. It would have been nice for there to have been another ranged alternatives rather than just bowgunning.

ShinNL

Is anyone at end-game and thinking the game was nearing an end and then suddenly stumbled on a mountain of things to do? I'm kind of approaching it like the old days in MHFU and am now making specific sets like:

Sharpness+1, Evade+2
Sharpness+1, Guard+2
Sharpness+1, Critical Draw
Sharpness+1, Awaken
Mind's Eye, Status Attack Up, Trap Master, Bombardier

And I can think of more sets that I want like a Fast Charge Switch Axe set.

I also recently got into gunning (full armorsets and full bowgunsets) and that takes customization to a whole new level!

I've made an offensive pierce set, also planning to make a status gunner (Alatreon) set. I'm thinking about making a KO gunner set (did you know that both crag and exhaust bullet causes KO damage on heads?), elemental rapid fire sets, etc. etc.

Occasionally finding a great charm and allows me to create even more creative sets.
This game is... pretty good.

I still welcome Tri G with open arms.

Nicktals

Banned
almokla said:
Hi,

How can I use items while my sword is drawn? like mining, potions..etc? I'm using a classic controller

thanks in advance :D

What weapon are you using? If you're using a sword and shield, you can hold the R button, and then can use anything by pressing Y. If you're using anything else, you can mine, and do a couple other things, by holding R and pressing Y, but for most things (like using items), you'll have to sheathe your weapon, by pressing Y, and then use the item.

Nicktals said:
What weapon are you using? If you're using a sword and shield, you can hold the R button, and then can use anything by pressing Y. If you're using anything else, you can mine, and do a couple other things, by holding R and pressing Y, but for most things (like using items), you'll have to sheathe your weapon, by pressing Y, and then use the item.

many many thanks :D

another question.. how can I visit the desert or the forest without taking a quest? is it possible at this stage in the game?

Tenbatsu

Soneet said:
Is anyone at end-game and thinking the game was nearing an end and then suddenly stumbled on a mountain of things to do? I'm kind of approaching it like the old days in MHFU and am now making specific sets like:

Sharpness+1, Evade+2
Sharpness+1, Guard+2
Sharpness+1, Critical Draw
Sharpness+1, Awaken
Mind's Eye, Status Attack Up, Trap Master, Bombardier

And I can think of more sets that I want like a Fast Charge Switch Axe set.

I also recently got into gunning (full armorsets and full bowgunsets) and that takes customization to a whole new level!

I've made an offensive pierce set, also planning to make a status gunner (Alatreon) set. I'm thinking about making a KO gunner set (did you know that both crag and exhaust bullet causes KO damage on heads?), elemental rapid fire sets, etc. etc.

Occasionally finding a great charm and allows me to create even more creative sets.
This game is... pretty good.

I still welcome Tri G with open arms.
That, is the real charm of MH3. (armor customization of course)

Boney

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
The slowness of the release of event quests coupled with making them available for limited periods of time is the single most awful development in Tri. :(
It's too milk dry the Japanese. Stupid stupid stupid.

On a side note, has anybody S-rank all the arenas yet? Or am I your only god?

Nicktals

Banned
Boney said:
It's too milk dry the Japanese. Stupid stupid stupid.

On a side note, has anybody S-rank all the arenas yet? Or am I your only god?

Don't make Tenbatsu look up nico vids of people soloing them all using only kicks for S rank.

logging on in a few minutes. kinda pissing me off that i get to s-rank everything except peco and luddy grrrrr...

ranger, guild, hammer and gs are complete, still need a few coins for lance and sns arena weapons. .. then back to square one to make the archer set ><

Boney

Banned
capel35.jpg

This is the key to a succesful hunt. Right Znarfy?

Peff

Quick question: I bought the game today and I've done the first few missions, pretty cool so far, but I'm playing on an HDTV and the game isn't full screen, it has black borders left and right. The Wii menu is full screen while in 480p and every other game is too, so did they take out the 480p mode for Europe or is something wrong?

Nicktals

Banned
Left yesterday for a 4 day mini vacation, so i probably won't be on...which really sucks, because I just got into arena, which can be a blast, and the new events on sunday.

So I hope everyone doesn't stop playing in the next 3 days...There has been a bit of a resurgence, and it's been great.

Disguises

Peff said:
Quick question: I bought the game today and I've done the first few missions, pretty cool so far, but I'm playing on an HDTV and the game isn't full screen, it has black borders left and right. The Wii menu is full screen while in 480p and every other game is too, so did they take out the 480p mode for Europe or is something wrong?
It's the same for me too, luckily my TV has a zoom feature so I can get rid of the borders without losing a lot off the top and bottom. Also, I don't think it's just a PAL thing.

Bento

How do you use Large and Small Barrell bombs correctly? Is it a Gunner thing or should it be used by Blademasters as well? Secondly, Felyne Bombs and Bounce Bombs and so on, are they worth using? Gotten pretty far into the game but have yet to use any these : S

Top Bottom