• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri |OT| Animal Cruelty Made Fun

Bento said:
How do you use Large and Small Barrell bombs correctly? Is it a Gunner thing or should it be used by Blademasters as well? Secondly, Felyne Bombs and Bounce Bombs and so on, are they worth using? Gotten pretty far into the game but have yet to use any these : S
Bombs are mostly for fun. :p

The more serious answer is that bombs can do a lot of damage, if used in conjunction with sleep. The first attack that hits a sleeping boss does double damage, so the goal of sleep bombing is to double the attack of one large barrel bomb+ and add in the attack of whatever large barrel bomb+s and large barrel bombs there are.

Bombs are good against enemies that have tough shells.

Small barrel bombs don't do much damage so they're used mostly to do timed detonations of large barrel bombs. Less common uses include substituting them for sonic bombs.

Bounce bombs are good for blademasters who want to hit monsters that are taking off, landing, hovering, or sticking to the ceiling.

Felvine bombs are great for clearing an area of melynxes if you manage to hit a boss with one. Accidentally hitting your teammates with it is also good for lols.

Boney

Banned
Me and DragonGirl are on, send us a PM if you wanna join us, since we´re with some HR15's.

Also Almokia, check the Paw pass quests.

Booted me 3 times total tonight and I hardly ever get disconnected. Sorry Lance BP. I'm not sure how we were doing on time during that arena quest before I got cut off. I hope you were able to finish it. Bird and the Brute S rank on my 2nd try was awesome though :D

I'll probably be on tomorrow around the same time. Can't wait to try the Jho event.

Boney

Banned
Chopper Dave said:
Booted me 3 times total tonight and I hardly ever get disconnected. Sorry Lance BP. I'm not sure how we were doing on time during that arena quest before I got cut off. I hope you were able to finish it. Bird and the Brute S rank on my 2nd try was awesome though :D

I'll probably be on tomorrow around the same time. Can't wait to try the Jho event.
Oh you guys managed to get the S rank? I got booted out, and it wouldn't let me back.

So let's try going for the Joe event people!

kinggroin

Banned
Went offline this morning. Can't believe how far behind I was.... and overpowered, lol.

Killed lagi in so few hits that I kept failing the capture quest :p

Just finished all the available missions, caedeualsladsldams is next.

Nicktals

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
Is anyone up for the Jho quest? I might be on soon but lemme have some lunch.

Is it up? Either way I'll be hopping on in about 10 minutes. Hope we don't have the same problems as last time.

EDIT: D'oh. Nevermind. Actually was lucky enough to get a chance to hop online for a few hours before returning home tomorrow, and realized I left my power cord at home. Oh well. Tomorrow evening.

Good offline game, amazing online game. You're losing out on 50% of potential gameplay and 400% of potential hours spent just sticking to single-player.

Poyunch

Setvan2734 said:
The Jho quest as in the event? I thought it starts tomorrow, but if its up ill hop on.
It's starts on the 18th today. Anyone? Khory and I both want to do the quest but we need more players!

Nicktals

Banned
PounchEnvy said:
It's starts on the 18th today. Anyone? Khory and I both want to do the quest but we need more players!

:(

Tomorrow! Really wish I hadn't forgotten my cord though...would love to get on right now.

Poyunch

Well that was fun. I'm sorry Boney. After missing out on so many Gems you're bound to get a handful at once soon. :)

john tv said:
Wow, really? I didn't even know you could do that, haha.
Totally. I wish someone was recording that. Too bad we lost that match. Nayishski, Ace, and Khory had a blast like always! ^_^

I think I got four or five Jho gems today.

Nicktals

Banned
kinggroin said:
What are Joe gems good for anyway? Armour forging?

Yeah. A couple weapons need them too, I think (I know at least one GS does).

gaaaah i need to stop checking this thread...torturous.

Poyunch

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
They also make the jewels that give +4 Handicraft, so... kind of useful. Kind of.
Ooh I forgot about this. And I was about to sell those gems since I've forged everything I've wanted with them.

Tenbatsu

Boney said:
Man, lances are so overpowered, it's not even funny.

Also, what the hell!!!!!
The key player there is the gunner. Anw you need very good teamwork to execute that so its not that lances are overpowered.

Edit: The 3 lances were also hitting at joe's weak spot.

Poyunch

Damn I forgot Handicraft gems have - sharpness. I'll never be able to get that Razor Sharp/Sharpness +1 set because I'll never be able to find a +4 Handicraft gem.

Boney

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
The key player there is the gunner. Anw you need very good teamwork to execute that so its not that lances are overpowered.

Edit: The 3 lances were also hitting at joe's weak spot.
Well yeah, I noticed the gunner doing all the dirty work, but still, they hit way to hard, have the best defense, and a counter that even works with roars.

Boney said:
Well yeah, I noticed the gunner doing all the dirty work, but still, they hit way to hard, have the best defense, and a counter that even works with roars.
I also noticed that when joe got paralyzed, he was incapacitated for about 24 seconds. In the US/EU version, paralyze gives us about 12 seconds to work with. I'm not sure why we keep getting videos of things that will be much easier to do in the Japanese version. :/

Tenbatsu

Lance Bone Path said:
I also noticed that when joe got paralyzed, he was incapacitated for about 24 seconds. In the US/EU version, paralyze gives us about 12 seconds to work with. I'm not sure why we keep getting videos of things that will be much easier to do in the Japanese version. :/
Observe the video carefully again. The duration that you can paralyze Joe is the same for both version.

So I just started using the long sword. Can someone give me a basic tutorial on The spirit gauge? I want to maximize my damage (and I don't want to piss soneet off).

Tenbatsu

There are 3 levels for the spirit gauge. You start by getting as much hit as possible to accumulate the gauge to max. Once its max it will not deplete and you are able to execute the final slash. Each hit of the final slash will turn the gauge into another color, white -> yellow -> red.

White - 1.05 X Atk Power
Yellow - 1.1 X Atk Power
Red - 1.3 X Atk Power

After a certain period of time, the color will revert back to normal and you got to repeat the whole process again.

ajim

I love this game, and everything about it, however, the only grip I have is that I wish there was more variety in smaller/medium sized monsters to slay through instead of slaying the same ones over and over again. That is my only gripe.

Also, is there going to be a sequel to this or anything?

Tenbatsu said:
Observe the video carefully again. The duration that you can paralyze Joe is the same for both version.
So I watched again, this time taking notes
0:02 The quest starts and the 3 lancers immediately consume a might pill
0:05 F shoots them with a demon shot
0:13 They enter and hyde sets a shock trap immediately
0:19 Joe breaks free and gets ready to roar (amazingly, this takes ~6 seconds)
0:25 The gunner "F" has fired the shot that paralyzed Joe
0:31 F sets a pit trap
0:35 Joe falls into the pit trap
0:45 F has paralyzed Joe a second time
0:54 F sets a shock trap
0:57 F throws tranq bombs and Joe falls asleep
0:59 The next Joe enters the arena, on the far side
1:06 F has put Joe to sleep
1:16 Everyone has placed 2 LBB+ and they're blown
1:22 peace sets a shock trap
1:30 F sets a shock trap
1:39 F sets a pit trap and 1 or 2 LBB+ and a SBB and manages to escape the explosion unscathed by panic jumping
1:47 F is throwing tranq bombs
1:51 hyde sets down and blows up 1 or 2 LBB+

My bad.

Luigiv

Tenbatsu said:
There are 3 levels for the spirit gauge. You start by getting as much hit as possible to accumulate the gauge to max. Once its max it will not deplete and you are able to execute the final slash. Each hit of the final slash will turn the gauge into another color, white -> yellow -> red.

White - 1.05 X Atk Power
Yellow - 1.1 X Atk Power
Red - 1.3 X Atk Power

After a certain period of time, the color will revert back to normal and you got to repeat the whole process again.
To add to this, the colour only reverts to normal if it's red. If you leave it White or Yellow, it will last until you faint or end the mission.

ajim said:
Also, is there going to be a sequel to this or anything?
In due time, without a doubt.

Luigiv said:
To add to this, the colour only reverts to normal if it's red. If you leave it White or Yellow, it will last until you faint or end the mission.
To further add to that, it will stay red as long as you successfully hit an enemy with the final attack of the spirit combo at least once before ~30 seconds are up. The timer restarts with a successful hit.

Most LS users eventually pick up on this and realize that the most efficient way to use a LS is to get into red and then spirit combo all the time and stay in the red for as long as possible.

Top Bottom